Does anyone have experience with cast iron skillets? I sort of want to buy a cast iron skillet set

Does anyone have experience with cast iron skillets? I sort of want to buy a cast iron skillet set.

Attached: skillet.jpg (350x350, 9K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/rRZMXZfcol8
wag-society.org/Electrolysis/seasoning.php
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Heavy as shit, possibility of burning the shit out of your hand if you forget handle is also hot as fuck.

Not much but I know that when you buy one before you cook with it you have oil it some how? Not sure if that’s the right term but it’s something like that. Also I’m pretty sure you’re not supposed to wash the pan because the whole iron and water make rust thing. Not sure how to clean it other wise, but I would image using a Brillo pad to remove cooked on food.

And yes what this guy said you have to handle it with a hot pad or oven mits.

one of the most versatile things you can have in your kitchen. Lodge is a decent brand

youtu.be/rRZMXZfcol8
This might help

They are great! Very versatile, can go from stove to oven, no problem. Durable as shit (duh, it's iron). Heats evenly, and retains heat better.
Is nonstick.
You do need to 'season' them first(oil). But after that they are good to go, and last forever basically.

The term is season

My grandma still uses an iron skillet that her grandma gave her in the 50s, no telling how old it actually is. Still in great condition

Don't. They're a pain in the ass and you gain very little by cooking in one. Most of it is psychological. I've never tasted any difference between cast iron and a quality stainless steel skillet.

I really want a cast iron pan, but I have glass cooktop. Anyone know if there are issues with using it with a glass cooktop stove?

I have a few. Definitely cook better. Wash immediately after using in hot water with NO soap. Scrape off any food or stuck bits with a good brush. No steel wool or anything that may take the "seasoning" off. You can use kosher salt to scrub too, if you wish. Give it a good dry, or use the oven on low heat to dry it. Add some oil to the inside, and store it in a dry place.

very worthwhile, buy a quality one, don't clean it with soap for season.

disagree never had a steak come out as good on stainless steel as cast iron

None whatsoever, as long as you don't slide it.

You can use water, but never soap and never let it sit.

Also, buy one of these shits for scouring, they are fucking amazing.

Attached: 61kb-tAqcyL._SX425_[1].jpg (425x425, 24K)

i really enjoy all of my cast iron cookware and would recommend using it to cook, though i cannot stress enough not to use soap to clean it, it will absorb into the pores of the skillet and make your food taste like soap

it's worth it. there's quite a few affordable sets on the market now that are still good quality. i fucking love making a pizza in my 12" skillet, perfect fucking crust every time

Great for SARS

Fuck yeah do it. They're my favorite ones.

Always wash by hand and dry thoroughly. A lil grease/crisco/lard/(whatever you use) should keep it from rusting. Like a tiny thin coating is all you need.

Superior to all other pans. Seasoning is a must, but after that the pan will literally last the rest of your life with some basic care. Steaks will never be as good as they are when cooked in cast iron. There are tons of vids on youtube about seasoning and care. They also supplement your iron content in your blood, unlike teflon which just supplements your cancer content and has to be replaced every couple years even with care taken to not use metal on them.

2nd the steel mesh 'clothe'

If you did a blind test, could you actually pick the steak done in the cast iron as opposed to the stainless?

Clean it after every use with warm soap water and a steel wool, then cover everything with vegetable oil and bake for an hour

Attached: 96822168-7AF0-4CF6-BFE5-4FD0687689E4.jpg (1566x880, 284K)

Also, I've seasoned them with various oils. Organic flaxseed is the best but most expensive. Put 6 layers of seasoning on it but its pretty much bullet proof now. Grapeseed didn't work as well. I've also used crisco and found it's much cheaper and does a halfway decent job.

No problem, I’ve had three different glass tops and they work great. They will get to 600+deg no problem. Just don’t slide me around to much and it won’t scratch it up.

my sides

not saying its impossible but at least in my experience cooking on both, yes I would be able to, i've never been able to get the same outer sear and crust - that would be the tell

>Clean it after every use with warm soap water
>soap

Attached: onoyoudint.png (281x252, 79K)

I have experience with them, because I'm pansexual. Unlike other kitchenware, you have to whisper in their ear to make them hot, and then you need to use a bit of oil to get them ready to be used.

>pansexual
kek

the little steel cloth thing is amazing

Hot water only

Cast Iron is the absolute pinnacle of cookwear. I have a full set for my kitchen and then I have two different dutch ovens for camping. As stated before, seasoning the cast iron is the most important thing to do. It will make the pots and pans non-stick. The more it's used the more non stick it will become. As stated by others, never, ever use soap. Coarse salt is good for scouring. When camping along a stream I just use mud and then rinse out with the water, works like a charm. For grilling, I've gone to a Blackstone Grill. It's an outdoor griddle, but behaves just like cast iron. You can't get a better steak than one cooked on a flatiron grill. It's how all of the top steakhouses cook their steak. The surface seals in all the juices so it cant drip out through like a standard grill mesh does.

Absolutely based

That not true. You can wash it with soap if you also reseason it after. Soft sponge with some mild soap, wash it with a lot if water, dry it with a towel, then high heat to it bone dry, some neutral oil, wipe it good, burn the fuck out of it, reapply, reheat, then 500f oven for an hour and cool.

You only need to use light soap if you can't clean it with steel chain or a scrubber to get bits off. Never soak. Never heat for too long, never quick cool it. 15 yrs with granny's 14in. Don't even need any oil to cook anything including eggs.

Depends on what you want more. Good crust or easibity.
Not even true. Just you don't if it's not necessary. Salt is best but soap isn't a problem. Just when it's necessary and light. Just soap kills the season so you have to reapply.

Dude it's cast metal, you can't cook it, it's just going to get hotter and hotter.

It's a good source of iron for your diet

>you can wash it with soap ...
>ou only need to use light soap...
no. never.

Attached: 2019111301.jpg (550x466, 37K)

What size should I get?

Im going to make cornbread in it. How big should it be? 12" OK or do I need bigger

I like my iron, check out the castiron subreddit

Protip: Check garage sales and second hand stores for Griswold brand. Best iron pans ever made. Valuable collector's item.

Do not buy "made in China"

I love mine. Use it for everything. It's not just a meme. Just takes some practice like any other new pan or skillet.

Cast iron is great. I have Lodge brand. They are all very affordable. Protips: Buy a lid, get a rubber hot pad thing that goes over the handle (amazon), you can use soap on it, just wipe down with a cooking oil when you are done

I've really enjoyed mine when I get it seasoned right and get into a routine of using it frequently. With infrequent use cleaning and re-seasoning can be more of a pain in the ass.

HOWEVER

I have no idea what I'm doing and mostly use it to smack my boyfriends big gay ass while we LARP as an abusive 1950s straight couple with our hair done up.

No the best is le creuset

I have some Wagner Ware made in the 1940s. Haven't used it in years because I'm really lazy about cleaning stuff. If I were younger and more energetic, I'd use it frequently.
Anyone remember "blackened redfish", Paul Prudhomme's signature dish? Cast iron is essential for that because of its ability to retain heat. He once left a skillet on the fire to heat up and forgot about it. It got so hot by the time he tossed a fillet of red drum in that it made a loud bang and cooked the fish almost instantly.

My man! Love watching C.K.R.

How's that steak taste bitch?

Attached: source.gif (1000x1000, 619K)

Make sure you buy one with a copper bottom if you have a glasstop stove so it doesn't scratch, or it will destroy your stove

true, I use a steel scrubber though

Very nice.

Holy shit! An actual decent thread on /b

Don't be this dumb fuck.

Make sure you keep them seasoned and they'll be the best damn cookware you'll ever own.

Can anyone recommend a good nonstick skillet?

You can season your cast iron with different types of vegetables: onions of all types or shallots. Try it just rub your pan with it till it's charred then cook; this can also be done to clean the pan. ceramic is cast iron's side kick

Attached: 1559262232582.jpg (928x522, 155K)

This belongs in /bant

its fucking weird seeing Cred Forums be so helpful and non toxic

I am a coomer and this disgusts me

Do you guys actually use soap to clean kitchen items or are you talking about washing up liquid?

A picture of you cooking with one naked.

Fuck off newfag

Also, on topic: I have a small one and a big one, got them from my parentes when I moved away from home in 2009 and they had them for a long time before that. Season them now and again. They are 10/10.

I have Cooks brand and they're fucking great for the price.

very heavy (Of course) but in order to cook with it, you need to heat it up first, then place the meat or food of choice on it. always use some sort of butter or nonstick spray.

Can be great if used propperly. Cleaning can be a pain

Griswold is expensive.

Fags

i only use it for burgers or steak.

There are many ways to season a pan, but this is one of the better
wag-society.org/Electrolysis/seasoning.php

Also, nothing wrong with second hand cast iron skillets. They last forever, and even if it's disgusting and crusty, you can just scrape that shit off, reseason, and you're as good as new.

Always check the handle. You want a handle large enough that you grasp, and doesn't leave indentations in your hand. Tiny little handles, or ones with overly pointy edges are a pain to use.

skulls aren't that thick. no need to shelf out that much money for a weapon

just buy one

> Does anyone have experience with cast iron skillets?
I have,
I liked using them,
they fry food to perfection
without risk of superficial over-cooking due to heating up too fast
or failing to cook evenly due to cooling down too rapidly when reducing the heat from a gas hob, electric ring, or other heat source, e.g. Aga solid fuel stove
but I came to the conclusion that "frying" in any form of frying pan was inferior [health-wise] to air frying in a low fat enclosed space e.g. halogen oven.

So I gave my cast iron pans away
in favour of low fat cooking options
that are quicker, healthier and easier to use.