What do you think might be out there? We inhabit an incredibly small portion of an insanely large universe...

What do you think might be out there? We inhabit an incredibly small portion of an insanely large universe. I often wonder what kind of bizarre lifeforms may exist elsewhere in the universe.

I mean, it's possible that entire civilizations have come into existence and collapsed, and we'll never know about them. Perhaps in some far off corner there exists an intergalactic civilization, perhaps even a collection of species from different parts of the universe that have made contact and united together. Even still, they may form an extremely tiny portion of the universe.

The fact that everything all of us will ever experience will be only a tiny fraction of a fraction of what this universe has to offer is rather saddening to me. We look into space and wonder what might be out there, and shout into the void, hoping that someone might hear us.

Do you think we'll ever be heard? Will we ever have the chance to expand our civilization outside of this tiny blue marble?

Attached: 1024px-NASA-HS201427a-HubbleUltraDeepField2014-20140603.jpg (1024x935, 303K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/mBo_o0iO68U
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I think there are definitely other civilizations of life out there, but I'm convinced that like us they don't have the technology to travel from galaxy to galaxy. They probably look up to the night sky and wonder the same thing.

Yes, I think we'll be heard, but long after we're gone. Yes, I think we'll expand our civilization outside of Earth, but to other stars...probably not.

What do you think user?

>can't resist the irony of someone asking 'are we alone' and not getting a fucking answer...lol

Attached: Fun.webm (640x640, 1.1M)

OP here. I have to admit, the ability to travel between galaxies just seems unlikely.

That said, the universe is incredibly huge. It seems like life, while not super common, is probably not incredibly rare either. Given the right conditions, it seems like it can form. If you consider how big the universe is, then statistically SOME civilization is bound to develop technology that permits them to travel between galaxies - if it's possible that is.

If it's not even remotely possible, then yeah, they're all probably stuck like us.

The issue problematic for many reasons though. If the current research is accurate, then the universe is currently expanding, with the parts that are further away moving faster away from us than the parts that are closer. Within galaxies this isn't an issue, but between galaxies it is. That's why I'm convinced that by the time any civilization develops tech that can traverse the distance, it'll be too late because the distances keep on growing.

In terms of within the galaxy though...that's another story. I'm convinced that life is common actually; the part that is required is a planet where water can be a stable liquid for long periods of time. This presupposes radiation to keep the planet warm enough etc.

Once again, if the current research is correct about how our solar system formed, then it's very likely that this kind of situation would happen elsewhere as well, and with the new ideas about planetary migration in the formation of the dust cloud, the possibility seems even greater than before.

Still, we're probably alone in terms of interaction.

Attached: Who cares.jpg (600x857, 85K)

Makes sense.

That said, if worm holes do in fact exist and it is possible to utilize them to bypass the absurd distances that separate us from other celestial objects, we could theoretically go wherever we want. That said, even if we could choose any given location in the universe to travel to, it would take us an absurd amount of time to actually visit even a fraction of the universe given just how much there is to see and how much time it would take to explore everything.

What do you think? Do you think wormholes exist in reality, or are they purely theoretical?

>what kind of bizarre lifeforms may exist elsewhere in the universe
I come in peace earthlings.

Attached: heh.jpg (640x480, 55K)

Sorry user, I'm on the side of 'wormholes do not exist'. At least, in the sense that we would hope.

Science fiction has used wormholes to get around the current problems of traversing large distances. If we don't do faster-than-light travel, then we have to do some other kind of travel, and wormholes make an easy pseudo-scientific solution. There are significant problems though.

First, the only known situation in the galaxy that can bend space-time enough is a black hole, and as far as we know they tend to annihilate everything that comes close to the event horizon. Due to the extreme gravitational forces encountered, anything that we normally encounter in human life would be shredded apart at the sub-atomic level. Wormholes would likely have this same problem, at least somewhere near the openings, thus they would be extremely dangerous to approach.

Secondly, wormholes assume that space-time can be bent over great distances; from what we know so far, this isn't the case. The bending happens only due to gravitational forces, and these will always be spherical in terms of influence (though with rotation the matter circling the singularity will tend to form a disc). Wormholes are very commonly described as space folded over itself, but precisely this doesn't happen; there is no folding, just bending.

All that being said, if one could find a stable wormhole and get inside, then the trip would be near instantaneous, as if passing through a very slim door. The same dangers would exist on the other side, of course.

In terms of exploration...that's a totally different concern/problem. Considering that we haven't yet mapped (with our own eyes) the ocean floor of earth, it might be asking a lot to chart the galaxy the way the Federation does in Star Trek.

I'd put wormholes purely in 'theoretical' and unreal, as the conditions required for their stability are outside the boundaries of known science. So, they could exist for real..

Attached: Right on target....webm (720x404, 1.95M)

I am 100% certain that we will never ever meet or even hear of another civilization like ours. Many lifeforms will undoubtedly develop on other parts of the galaxy, some might even be around long enough to become self aware. But to develop technology to travel or send signals across the cosmos, very little chance. And as far as we are aware, in the observable universe this has not occurred yet, and the observable universe has been around for13.8b years. Our own galaxy has been around for 13.5b years and we have found 0(zero) evidence that there is or ever has been a civilization that can communicate and travel. Zero.

And we have become developed enough to scan very very far and that means many millions of years into the past. Zero civilizations.

...unless they are purposely masking their existence from us.

There must be nigger-free planets? Right? Please tell me there are nigger-free worlds to visit.

Attached: 1418578919601.png (620x582, 304K)

There's no evidence to suggest another genesis event occurred. If we are outside of facts and empiricism, and substantiation of claims isn't required, then how is this not faith?

To add on to the last idea.

They could exist for real, but if they did then we'd have to re-assess quite a lot of what we know about space-time. For instance, we still don't know why the stars at the edge of spiral galaxies revolve around the center at the same rate as ones near the center; normally masses go slower the further out they are, but with galaxies that isn't the case. There must be a reason for this..and perhaps the reason might open doors to understanding gravitational effects that we don't see on a planetary scale.

I think your last point is always a possibility; that of civilizations masking themselves from us. But is it on purpose? Given that it was only 3 hundred years ago or so that electricity would have been considered witchcraft in the human race, I'd be absurdly surprised if we'd discovered everything there is to discover to this point in time. Because of that, other life and the evidence of that life may exist but we may simply not have the technology or knowledge to detect it, measure it, and analyze it. It may exist but we simply might not see it.

Then, even if we did get in contact with another species, how the hell do we communicate? We can't even communicate with dolphins or octopi, which are considered to be very intelligent. Sure, we can do basic things like train them with food....but communicate? Nope. I think encountering alien intelligent life would probably result in a significant danger to us as a human race....

Attached: To the stars.jpg (478x522, 34K)

There's a difference between baseless speculation and using available evidence to form a reasonable hypothesis.

We can't know with certainty that life exists elsewhere in the universe, but when you consider what we know about the conditions needed for life to occur and the size of the universe, it's statistically likely that life has emerged elsewhere. Is it absolute? No, but to call it "faith" is absurd and nothing more than an attempt to try to drag these down to your religitard level.

Hoping we meet intelligent plant based aliens. When they come here they would annihilate vegans worldwide

Actually there are lines of evidence to suggest that life started and restarted on this planet alone. The more information we accumulate regarding near bodies and potential for unicellular life the more the uniqueness of life on Earth becomes less so. We are amazing and this planet is a paradise but likely not a one off.

The probability of a zero chance event occuring is still zero.

Not how statistics work you retard.

We have a baseline for the emergence of life (Earth), we understand the mechanisms that cause it to emerge, and we have observed that the circumstances leading to its emergence occur elsewhere in the universe. Given this information, we can make reasonable assumptions that there is likely life elsewhere. We can't say it with certainty until we find it, but don't pretend like it's baseless, you moron.

>He doesn't have any evidence to substantiate his claim

Attached: 1578232504563.jpg (239x211, 5K)

No....no no. There more information we have, the more evidence there is to suggest the opposite of what you've said: that life in fact is very common, and that we're definitely not alone.

For instance, until about 20 years ago, it was thought that water was rare in the universe, until we had more data about comets in particular. Until 15 years ago we had little data regarding planets that orbited stars, and it was assumed that our solar system was special. As more data keeps coming in and we build better telescopes and better computer systems to scan the night skies, we find that in fact we're average. Our sun is average, our planet is average, and life might be 'average' too.

That's not the baseline. If you're trying to establish a probability of a second (1+n) event you must first show n to be positive.

Look up the origins of Archae as a separate group. Transition from inorganic process to organic is becoming better understood. Lines of evidence aren’t concrete proof but it’s not idle speculation or science fiction to forecast lab grown life.

i think the only chance that "they are already here" or "they've always been here" was that "they" seeded this planet with life, maybe using something like the device in the original "wrath of khan" but not that spectacular.

in that case, they could be watching or even interfering but if that's all true, it wouldn't be nearly as interesting as sci-fi depicts. as far as UFOs go, the black knight satellite has been debunked as being a piece of cloth from earth, and those orbs that can fly in crazy ways or fly in formations are some kind of human drones using weird flying systems and are probably very weak drones.

>life in fact is very common
>Has zero evidence to support this claim
I'm starting to see a pattern develop.

Attached: 1579742675304.jpg (1200x668, 168K)

We HAVE baseline for life - that is our own planet you retard. Obviously it is possible for life to emerge because it exists on Earth. If life existed elsewhere in the universe, we wouldn't have to try to figure out the probability of life emerging more than once, which is what this is about.

But given the information available, we can reasonably determine that life is likely to exist elsewhere in the universe by working to understand HOW life emerged here on Earth and extrapolating that information to determine how it may emerge elsewhere.

I think we’re saying the same thing. Maybe I wasn’t as clear as I’d hoped.

A big fucking salad

Attached: qFVp9Gz.gif (528x300, 1.66M)

it's going to be really unfortunate if there's a lot of life out there, because of the great filter

You think putting literal shit in a pressure cooker under ideal laboratory conditions for decades will produce life? You've clearly not any understanding of just how complex a single protein is, much less the intricacies of the organelles required for a single celled organism to exist.

Attached: PassionateRareIbizanhound-max-1mb.gif (320x240, 705K)

Life has been found to exist in places where we thought it was impossible including low orbit, but I have to agree with your statement- we can’t say that life is common outside of Earth. The chemical processes and conditions conducive for life may be ubiquitous but it will take real evidence to confirm. The potential for life may be common.

i bet aliens look at us the same way we look at North Sentinel island

We don’t need to produce complex cellular structures. We just need to replicate the states of energy transfer that represent the first step from abiotic to biotic. Literally that’s it. As for much more complex molecules - lots of them self assemble in space. That part is pretty well known. The important issue for establishing new life is a biotic energy system that is better than the abiotic

We've already done experiments like this and managed to produce the components necessary for life - it's a proof of concept. Given the right conditions and enough time, life will inevitably form given the right conditions.

You probably didn't read what I wrote very carefully. Consider how the 'goldilocks' zone used to be something that was considered unique, almost miraculous about the Earth's distance from the sun. Then we started finding that in other star systems. And then we started doing the math to understand why Uranus and Neptune exist so far away from the sun....and then the math pointed in the direction that Earth and Venus had once been in each other's place, with Venus being the paradise and Earth being a little too hot for comfort. Eventually they switched places...and with water we got life.

That's just one area where 'all signs point to 'yes''. Right now the race is on to send a probe to a few of the moons in the outer Solar System which have the potential to harbour life, albeit not like life as we know it but on the cellular level. Life exists...the question is if we have the technology yet to detect it with certainty.

Possibly yes. I think I stand on the side of 'life is far more common than people think'....lol

Not the one you responded to, but a thought. Crystals, which are inanimate, form and grow into simple replicable patterns of shapes. Why can't life do the same if given the correct conditions? In other words, why can't life have the same 'automatic' potential? Why can't life, instead of being special and unique, actually be as easy to create as a cloud?

Attached: Miss me once....gif (340x240, 1.89M)

>Motor protein explained
youtu.be/mBo_o0iO68U

If any one the thousands of proteins required for basic life didn't independently and spontaneously create itself at the same instant in the same puddle of primordial soup and combine ...life wouldn't exist.

If water didn't exist, life wouldn't exist. If radiation didn't exist, life wouldn't exist. If too much radiation exists, life wouldn't exist. If the galaxy didn't exist, life wouldn't exist.

I fail to see your point.

Attached: ....jpg (171x216, 9K)

What would the ramification be on sociably if we has an answer to the question : “are we alone?”
that is the answer is YEAS we are the only life in the universe?

one word: freedom

A man who likes to ponder probabilities all of a sudden can't see them

None. Philosophers might be more inclined to finish their books, but other than that the majority of humanity would be stuck doing the same thing it's always done: trying to survive with more capital than their neighbors.

Being alone or not doesn't solve the social crises, economic crises, political crises, technological crises, or anything else.

You mean me, or you?

Attached: Balls in your court.webm (1280x720, 1.9M)

What would the ramification be on sociably if ancient alien civilizations where found on every planet and they where all dead?

I see that as a really really really BAD thing

It depends on if we'd be able to figure out why they died out. Were they killed by others? By themselves? Did they evolve into us? Unless those questions were dealt with, to me it's a complete unknown.

I still don't think it would be a change to the current socio-political order though. If we found out that there was life here before us, would it change North Korea or Israel or China? Would it make the EU fall apart faster? Would it stop us from drilling for oil? Of course not.

The greatest problem we have is that we can philosophize and dream big, which is a wonderful thing. But there's a limitation to the implementation of dreams and ideas: capital. Unless you get into Elon Musk or Richard Branson territory, there's little you can do to change the world. Just ask Greta....

Attached: hawr dayh yhuu.gif (480x313, 896K)

Well that petered out pretty quickly.