Every time you drive your car, eat a meal, visit a doctor, drink water from a tap, fly on a plane or use an elevator...

Every time you drive your car, eat a meal, visit a doctor, drink water from a tap, fly on a plane or use an elevator, you are placing your confidence in the scientific method and the peer review process. You do this because you know from experience that it works. Why do you believe that this proven system is wrong when the subject is climate science?

Attached: 33AD07D7-2743-4B6E-BBCE-DD466CB07B93.jpg (720x720, 86K)

Because the oil companies spend outrageous sums of money for propaganda, aimed at discrediting the reality of climate change.

Throw enough of that mindset at people, and the spineless ones will cave.

My oldest brother is a case in point.

"It's all bullshit. The scientists fudge their data."

I can't even talk to him about it. I stay quiet.

In case you weren't aware, people pay scientists to lie or exaggerate a lot, and when you're some hillbilly that can't tell the difference between real peer reviewed science and pseudoscience, you start to question all of it. It's the same reason we have anti-vaxers, flat earthers, chiropractors, etc.

Greta is a hillbilly?

Climate change is literally observable, every year for as many years as i can remember, my country has been having the hottest year on record, recently my country has been experiencing catastrophic fires that have never been seen before.

Absolutely.

But people like my brother have been effectively brainwashed, and it's almost like religion.

There's nothing you can say, nothing you can show them that will sway their thinking.

It's quite sad, and a big, big problem for the planet.

is she the one denying climate change? do you know how to read? do you know what a euphemism is? do you realize she is an austistic child anyway? why are you even bringing her up?

likely it is because I am old enough to remember being taught we were about to enter an ice age. also there has been no temp increase in the last 20 years. also actual climate scientists debunk climate alarmism every day. we are having our 5th year in a row of the coldest and largest snow falls since my childhood. pretty much have to be a moron to believe in "science consensus". ICPP is not science it is politics.

Greta played one of the cannibals freaks from The Hills Have Eyes, and they didn't even have to use makeup

I can say the EXACT SAME THING about the left wing and racial reality or differences between sexes.

Almost no one besides the most redpilled of internet virgins fully accepts objective truth of empirical data. Nearly everyone will have an exception or two to fit the narrative they've been taught from an early age.

Author Robert Anton Wilson calls it one's "Reality Tunnel".

Data that doesn't jive with their reality tunnel is duly ignored.

>Robert Anton Wilson
Literally a conspiracy theorist

we technically are in an ice age, but we're in an interglacial period. what happens is the world gets colder and warmer and the ice sheets spread further south and then recede back again, and that's all part of the same "ice age" as opposed to periods of time when the earth had little to no ice anywhere.

no temp increase? who told you that? the oceans are getting so warm it's killing the ecosystems

"actual climate scientists" that just sounds like you mean the scientists that tell you what you want to hear, like the ones that get paid to do just that.

also, the fact that you're having record colds and snowfalls also goes along with record highs, and you're just ignoring it, because when the earth starts to warm up a little more than it's supposed to, the extremes get worse.

True enough, but I like his idea of the reality tunnel.

There's nothing technical about currently being in an ice age. Yes, we're in between periods of even more extensive glaciation, but when we look at the long scale, we're living in one of the coldest periods since complex multicellular life formed. For the majority of it's history, Earth had no ice at the poles.

But that's largely irrelevant, because it's not about whether the Earth is currently hot or cold, but the rate of change.

It's basically just a new term for Plato's allegory of the cave

He was more like someone who studied and wrote about conspiracy theorists and their ideas

It's where he came up with the "reality tunnel" term for how different people subjectively see the world

Wilson got the term from Leary, but the concept goes back to Plato.

i can't tell if you're trying to contradict me somehow or if this is just fun facts, but i use the word technically because it helps people understand that it is the case even though it doesn't seem like the case to them.

I think it goes both ways and this is due to the current political divide. The reality is that climate change happens, there's no reasonable human denying that. It's just that the left over-exaggerates the extent to which humans are to blame, and the right takes that and assumes there is no climate change. So what you have is one group saying its worse than it is and one group saying it isn't as bad as it actually is. In regards to human responsibility, the only correlation I can find is with littering, not emissions unless you're a major city like Beijing

People have been eating food and drinking water for a long time before the social construct of empirical science was created

It was a poor attempt to slow down China's economic growth.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 69K)

No, these idiot you cite refuse the scientific consensus. While beleiving in climate change agrees with it.

Strictly speaking, climate science is only half way through the scientific method. They've made a hypothesis based on the green house effect and temperature data. There has been no controlled experiment to link the two. Mind you, I happen to think it's a good hypothesis, but it pisses me off when people compare it to actual hard science and try to smear anyone who questions it.

A caveman picking a banana or drinking from a stream is a very different scenario from our reliance on food and water delivery systems today.

People be eating cum and shit

I was mostly adding more detail, though you really should drop the technical because it misses the big picture. Which is all that matters, because if we start with a time frame of a few hundred years, we're coming out of the little Ice Age of the 16th to 19th centuries, if we extend it to a few thousand years, it was lot warmer a few millennia BC before the Sahara made a phase transition, if we extend it to more than 10K years, then we're back in the last glacial max, and on and on. Whether it's warm or cold depends on the length of the scale. But overall, in the biggest scale that matters, it's one the coldest periods in the history of life on the planet.

But like I said, that doesn't really matter when it comes to climate change. Cold or hot, modern life is adapted to the modern temperature, and whether that life can adapt to new conditions depends not on the current state, but the rate of change.

And every scientist on the planet is going along with the charade?

Just the same, one doesn't need to place confidence in the scientific method and the peer review process to eat or drink

Everyone who shops at the supermarket does, and that’s everyone.

How does shopping at the supermarket REQUIRE confidence in the scientific method?

I assume it uses the everything built on everything so anything I pick that's happened in the past and has some broad influence is responsible for everything that happened later argument. It's basically dressed up idiocy.

Yep.
These threads are often bait to me
I just have to ask WTF these people are on about
Science = a great thing
These kind of threads make believing in science almost seem ridiculous with their idiocy

It's just a weak attempt to troll. The best trolls are believable, though with Poe's law who knows what some people really believe these days.