Why is the Titanic considered the most famous ship in the world?

Why is the Titanic considered the most famous ship in the world?

Attached: 35.jpg (1200x929, 550K)

Other urls found in this thread:

theunredacted.com/titanic-conspiracy-the-ship-that-never-sank/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Carlisle
express.co.uk/news/world/1088176/titanic-ii-china-pictures
bluestarline
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

because it was designed by women

Literally because of the movie. Not that it wasn't famous before, but that movie pretty much created a lot of obsession

Is your pictually *actually* the Titanic?

wdym

The captain was so big of a dumbass he ordered women and children to evacuate first, there was hardly any. This was even after some of the life boats were already cut. The boats were sent out with only a small amount of people on them, not even close to the max capacity.

Because they made a fuckin movie about it.

Because she was the largest ship in the world at that point and her loss revealed a lot of stuff that was wrong with the maritime industry.
>Not enough lifeboats for all (but Titanic had more than she was legally required to)
>Wireless operators were not required to be monitoring signals 24/7 (A ship very close to Titanic didn't really know she was in trouble because her wireless operator was asleep. Other ships heard the message but were too far away or did not understand the problem)
>The inquiries showed questionable decisions on the parts of the crew (Not really to put the blame on one person but several choices throughout the night added up to a larger disaster)
Then there's the societal point made that it doesn't matter if you're extremely wealthy or poor, you can die just the same.
The topic fascinates me. Beautiful ship but a tragically short history, also sad that so few people remember her sistership Olympic which mostly had a stunning career.

Attached: Titanic_Belfast_1912.jpg (1280x965, 248K)

Maybe it is not, maybe it is. Who knows?
theunredacted.com/titanic-conspiracy-the-ship-that-never-sank/

>more than she was legally required to
Who did tis

Why every big event that happens has to be a conspiracy? Explain yourself, user. I'm getting tired here.

Titanic was bigger with better name.

The answer is simple: Jews.

OP's pic is the correct ship.

This was for a lot of reasons. Captain Smith ordered "Women and children first". The order was interpreted differently by the two men in charge of each side's evacuation; 1st Officer Murdoch heard "women and children FIRST" and 2nd Officer Lightoller heard "women and children ONLY"
So on Murdoch's side of things, men were boarding lifeboats. On Lightoller's, men were being kept out and boats were being launched with just women and children regardless of if they were full. In Lightoller's defense, he expected the boats could be loaded from a lower deck and that did not pan out because the boats just rowed away and then refused to come back when ordered.

No, the Titanic was super famous before the movie. It was super big for it's time, it was a colossal engineering disaster and it was poorly handled by it's crew.

Heard this theory several times, it only works if you believe Olympic and Titanic were identical. Which they were not.

The laws were older and based the lifeboats required on tonnage of ship. Titanic was heavier than anything that law considered. She was legally required 16 boats, which she had plus 4 collapsible.

She's more known because she sank and had a lot of media made about her.

Attached: 1a441fbd-eadc-4831-b5e0-5ff0cc7b344d-2060x1530.jpg (1920x1426, 334K)

Proof laws are dumb and don't represent any value.

Why are we not building big beautiful ships like that anymore, user?

They were outdated. The class's original designer resigned from the project because he was advocating for enough lifeboats for all. He was rejected because "It would be too much deck clutter and create the impression of an unsafe ship."
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Carlisle

The name, for one. Fuckin biggest ship ever called Titanic. It just screams 'Look at me and be amazed!' Then the dipshits sank it.

How come the Titanic attracts so many autistic people?

why don’t we have a nautical board? /ship/ ? let’s petition for one in come on guys

But modern ships are ugly :(

Short answer: air travel.
Ships now are more suited to short cruises. There's little demand for ocean crossings to deliver people and mail. The World Wars also had the loss of some very prominent liners, so nations were less likely to subsidize their construction. Some were built after the wars but most were used until they were damaged, sank, or sold for scrap.

Attached: 10190311267.jpg (1200x1100, 756K)

There's and . Usually those can have threads about ships.

Tons of little facts and details to memorize, different theories that get created and debated, things to piece together to get the full picture. It doesn't surprise me the ship's story attracts certain kinds of people. The others I've talked with all seem like friendly folk though.

Attached: 1477448779945.jpg (3210x1441, 1.15M)

What is your favorite fact about Titanic, user!

Probably that her yard number was 401 (Olympic's was 400) Those numbers were stamped on a lot of things on both ships. Even once Titanic's wreck collapses and dissolves, her screws made of bronze will stay there for thousands of years and her number will be stamped into that. Her final resting place will always be marked.

Attached: Titanic stern wreck mosaic.jpg (2400x1511, 682K)

Why is the bronze not eaten by the bacteria, user?

Don't know the exact science, but bronze is very resistant to being eaten and to corrosion.

The props are made of a manganese-bronze alloy which is non-reactive with sea water.

Another fun fact is that the ship's name letters on the bow and "TITANIC LIVERPOOL" on the stern aren't painted on but rater are raised parts of the metal plates themselves. The only way to switch the names of the ships would be to swap out the entire plates which is something people would definitely have noticed. (Among every other physical difference between the ships including amenities and design.)

Because she went down with a thousand guys

I want the wreck to be picked up and put in Museum. Also where is the Titanic II they were building?

Not user. But I read that the Titanic's construction consumed about 1% of Britain's industrial output.

Why would they do that? What about the children?

Thanks for clarifying some of the specific metallurgy.
The ships' names being put into the metal (and wood) is of the biggest reason any of the switch theories fall apart. Names cannot just be swapped and there's interior & exterior differences.
The White Swan Hotel in Alnwick, England, has a dining room built from woodwork from Olympic.

Attached: 400_01.jpg (510x349, 139K)

you was able to get without sleep to other world first time in history safe
last word is where it fail

Part of one of the upper decks collapsed when the French landed a submarine on it several years ago so several people theorize that it's not structurally sound enough to be raised anymore. Nevermind that the whole site is considered a mass grave.

Titanic II is supposedly still sitting in a Chinese shipyard being built. Which is fucked because they can crank out other types of ships in 18 months but this one is taking YEARS.

What do you mean mass grave? All bones and meat are long time gone. There is not a single trace of any human down there.

Fun fact - The material used on the steps of the grand staircase isn't marble or polished granite but linoleum which was a wonderful new synthetic man made material at the time.

There's a few "Titanic II"s in the works. That Australian one which seems to go from alive-to-dead every other year and the Chinese one which I don't think it actually going to be sailing.
I doubt either will ever be totally completed and even if they are, any exterior similarities will be just that. I doubt the entire interiors will be recreated faithfully.

Attached: Olympic first class smoking room 1911.jpg (1900x1432, 759K)

why :c

it sank nigga

That's terrible, user! Linoleum is a cheap shit. I want my ticket money back.

Eh, it's the thought that people count on.

express.co.uk/news/world/1088176/titanic-ii-china-pictures

Dr. Bob Ballard was actually engaged by the US Navy to find the remains of the USS Thresher; a nuclear sub that imploded back in the 1960's. They used the cover story of looking for the Titanic to prevent the Russians from getting too nosy. Once they had found the wreck of the Thresher, they used the same search techniques of looking for a debris field during the last two weeks of the mission to locate the Titanic.

Dr. Ballard is still alive and doing exploration!

We do, may I introduce Titanic II
bluestarline dot com.au/

It's still considered gravesite because people died there. There's already controversy over taking artifacts from the site because they were someone's personal belongings.

I've seen some pictures of the Chinese one and a quick search said they actually resumed work last year. So maybe that will be completed sometime.

The story of how Ballard found the Titanic is a very interesting one. It gained a lot of attention in recent years because he spoke about it with National Geographic.

What also interests me is a claim I've heard that the Royal Navy may have found her in the 1970s. That they were testing sonar and other submarine-detection equipment in the North Atlantic and got a very big return in two pieces. It was never announced because they didn't want the Soviets to know how deep they could look. That could very well be a complete myth but if the information was correct then the files should become declassified sometime this decade. I will be amazed if that actually turns out to be true.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if it were true. Ballard initially said that all he had to go on was the positions given by the ships who had picked up the survivors but that would still leave them with a fuck huge area to search. The fact that they were able to almost go straight to it would lead me to believe that the US and UK Navies shared some information. It would be kind of a shitty cover story if they said "looking for the Titanic" and then came up empty.

Do fishes live on the Titanic wreck :3 Did they make little homes from the place :3

A very interesting thread but I have to go for now. It's late and I've got stuff to do. Maybe it will pop up again sometime and people can post & discuss old ships.
Here's a photo of Olympic in her World War 1 camo. During the conflict she rammed and sank a U-boat.

Attached: tumblr_m66x10XutF1qmyxbjo1_1280.jpg (1000x703, 496K)