Hey Cred Forums any mechanics on here?

Hey Cred Forums any mechanics on here?

I''m interested in going to a school to get a certification as a technician specializing in Toyota.

What's the job like? Would you encourage or discourage it? Is it good choice for people who enjoy working alone (aside from co workers I don't really care) but overall I'm a pretty quiet and reserved person who just wants to work.

Attached: 1_duVdgJ3oEQOxtsyPw7ofYA.jpg (1698x955, 305K)

I worked at a honda dealership and managed to be an express tech who was given quite a bit of extra work aka be taken advantage of by doing flat rate mechanics work at an hourly wage. I do want to get back in the field. I did not go to school and was only there a year. I left because I couldn't afford the benefits.

No its not great for working alone until you really know your shit and it wasn't good money. Even the flat rate mechanics had to work a shit load of hours to make ends meet.

depending on how old you are changes my answer. If you are young, then go for it, if you are looking to change careers then no.

It also gets very boring working on the same cars again and again and you are not a great mechanic unless you see a lot of different cars.

>depending on how old you are

I'm 20 turning 21 in a few months.

>it's not great for working alone unless you know your shit

I'm pretty good when it comes to cars. By working alone I simply mean working on a car alone.

>it's boring working on the same car

I was kinda worried about that. Is it better to just be a mechanic in general motors?

OK my recommendation is to do it. You can start to work your way up. You can apply for jobs as a lube tech or express tech the same time you look at schools or are attending it. They will let you shadow someone on how to change tires and do oil changes and you have to be invested in buying some tools and learning what you are looking at for tire repair or even oil changes in a week or 2 then you can work alone. There will be shit that goes wrong on simple shit like an oil pan having worn out threads and you have to figure out what to do. And there wwill be shit you won't hear or see that other mechanics will. It takes time and experience. I never went to school, but most people who went to school never learned useful shit, but I see their confidence.

But if you specialize in toyota because you love toyotas, idk man. Just don't forget about other cars. I worked on hondas, but love american cars so I feel I am pretty well rounded.

For me I am just doing what pays the bills and only have 1 year of dealership experience so ASE certs are out of the question for me unless I do another year as a lube tech.

also another thing in regards to being alone. Sure you can work alone, but you should pay attention to others. You will consider their methods and adapt what is useful. Its good to make friends. Infact I worked at this dealership years ago and I kept the same friends to hang out with unlike any other job I've had.

>because you love toyotas

ehh, I mean they're not bad and very popular it just seemed a good choice for a decent career. The problem is doing the same shit over and over again gets quite boring. I was just thinking about it, I'm just gathering as much info as possible and asking an actual mechanic is a good way to get it.

>buying some tools

Man...I hate that part of the job tbh, but okay.
>apply as a lube tech

Sadly I have gotten absolutely no luck as a lube tech, but I haven't gave up.

>also another thing in regards to being alone. Sure you can work alone, but you should pay attention to others. You will consider their methods and adapt what is useful

Oh absolutely, trades require you learning from the best

>friends

Meh, I've never had any luck and I'm not really a sociable person.

it's one reason why I'm considering a tech school, there is this certificate program that is only 12 weeks. I'm not saying no to that. If it can get me started I'll go for it.

>ehh, I mean they're not bad and very popula
yeah that is a good point you will be busy. Its a good thing. Especially for working overtime hours while being paid hourly.

>Man...I hate that part of the job tbh, but okay.
Hell no. You have to change you mind on that. Tools are never enough. You can always buy more. You use tools to repair other tools. You have tools and can easily begin doing something else with them like small motors or construction or maintenance even a specialty like welding or plumbing.

>Oh absolutely, trades require you learning from the best
You can also learn bad habits. You have to think for yourself and figure out reasons why someone would do anything they do different.

>Meh, I've never had any luck and I'm not really a sociable person.
Too bad. Same for me, but sorry you have to learn to be sociable no matter what you do.

I'm fine with talking related to work at work, I'm just not the type of guy who goes to outings.

I hate the buying tools part, but I'm fine with buying it if I need.

Also "thinking for yourself" isnt going to be a problem. I'll adapt.

Attached: book 2.jpg (180x280, 11K)

Only if you can afford it. It would help and look good on your resume and in an interview.

>show honest interest in learning
>show confidence (because a good mechanic can not only diagnose shit with out taking anything apart, but when they do take shit apart they are throwing themselves into the work and not stopping til the job is done)
>tell what you've done
>be able to answer basic questions like what is a water pump or a serpentine belt or when to replace a tire.

Tools are my favorite part of the job and are pretty much everything. A good mechanic has a shit load of auto related tools like turbo sockets or torque sticks. The list goes on and on.

You ever work overnight or during the night?

Since when have Toyotas needed mechanics?

Not on cars, but yes and I hate that shit. I guess thatd be good for you to have a more quiet environment.

Also more crazies come out at night. So at the same time you might not be left alone. I think more opportunities are open to doing shit at night even on cars. Like a lot of work can be done with out a customer waiting.

>more crazies come out at night

well hopefully one of them will finally be my end.

Car mechanics don’t really make shit. I work car assembly and make more than they do. It’s a shame and I was surprised, considering shops charge like $100/hr for labor. Maybe if you owned your own shop it would be worth it. Otherwise they pay maybe $20/hr if you’re good, experienced and lucky. You can make that working at Costco.

is it true you guys are pricks to each other or is that just stereotypes?

I have owned/operated mechanic and diesel repair shops.

I would not recommend it. Useful on the side or as a hobby. I am asked to help with high perf still.

As long as I"m making a decent living, fine. I'm not expecting hundreds of thousands in my bank account.

I mean just being under a lift means a freak accident can happen. No place will make you pay for life insurance.

this

This too. I really like cars as a hobby, but still, OP is 20 and can afford to take the job. He can decide what to do from there. Its still a good experience.

Yeah, but honestly mechanics really don't make a decent living. Its worth it as a career if you are actually obsessed. I mean I do warehouse work since it pays $22 an hour, 4 day weeks and free benefits.

car mechanics are pleb

Be an aircraft mechanic, the job is more rewarding and has better pay.

I had a cousin as an aircraft mechanic and the son of a bitch was never broke.

pretty much. specialize in trans or diesel or fleet vehicles etc and there is money.

I went to wyotech several years ago and ended up hitting a catch 22 brick wall on the way out. It was all a waste of town and money.
Hopefully things are different now but I will still bet money you will hate cars before too many years pass. Mostly because flat rate

My brother was a united mechanic.
Stay the fuck away from that field, seriously it's going to shit fast as the major airlines work to outsource maintenance as much as possible.

for sure, these guys make fuggin bands. especially if you're doing overtime.

FedEx a/c mechanics are making at least 200k/yr

work on that A&P license

Also they are growing in demand...

They also have overnight shifts which appears what OP wants.

The problem is money and time. Gotta get tht AP license which could take 2ish years.

I forget, are they the same airline that beat up the doctor and threw him out?

ups mechanics make more money after retirement than their hourly wages in pension.

Really working for any courier is a much better option. They use trucks and planes all year round, they'd rather get it fixed than pay for a new one it's a good business to be in.

Pays shit. Be a plumber or an electrician, pays a lot better. In Australia anyway.

well since you guys mentioned it. I'll give it a shot, but I'm not well knowledged in aircraft engines.

What's it like as an A/C mechanic?

ups pays their couriers better than their developers. i was a developer there for a lil while, they didn't pay that great, retirement plan was meh

yeah if you are a mechanic on big projects you have who ever you are working for by the balls. I wish I could do that shit, but man I found too much comfort in my life. Diesel mechanincs apparently lift nothing heavier than 35lbs.

You mean HVAC? I don't know. Shit has changed, but its a good idea. is right.
plumbers can decide what to be paid pretty much.

Former Chrysler master technician here. Do not bother doing this. Go to college and get a degree. The amount of work this entails is absolutely ridiculous, you will work engineering to solve your problems and you'll get paid peanuts in the long run. Go to college and get a degree.

No, Aircraft.

it's a lot more professional than working on cars. everything is very regulated and frequently audited/recorded.

if you like to do drugs (even smoke pot, for now at least), it's probably not ideal though. but if that doesn't apply to you, then i would def recommend it

oh. I never considered it myself, but I did consider working at ship yards. You have to be perfect. Idk, but maybe there are apprenticeships like there are at ship yards.

Not to mention, if you fuck up on something it could end up killing someone it's a stressful job too.

Could just start working at walmart for awhile then work for some courier company.

Also you'd make a better living as a USPS mechanic, they pay the national average which is better than nothing.

They have TONS of trucks and cars that always need to be worked on or maintained. Go there, or go to aircraft mechanic

based toyota owner

toyota gang.

my 20-year-old camry is running like a champ still.

i rented a 2020 corolla as well as a 2020 camry not too long ago.

fucking hated them. got back in my old ass car at the end of the trip and thought "fuck yeah"

its just jap cars in general you fags. They are designed to need nothing but basic maintenance before they shit the bed.

kek might be so but this guy is right my camry is a beast

You call it a beast, but its still boring. Fuck german cars if you are working on one or own one, but they sure are fun to drive.

Basically, yeah.
It's all the same group of shareholders.

If you work on aircraft you'll have eyes over your shoulder at all times, FAA eyes.
Seriously stay away from the main airlines though. They will fuck you hard and not hesitate to toss you out. Go look into how airlines used their ESOP to bail out the suits at the expense of mechanics pensions.

Being a mechanic is just in general a terrible choice unless you're passionate. There are some companies that pay really good for mechanics if you look in the right places.

Man, it's not even a matter of pay. The cultures in most shops kind of sucks. Maybe not as soul crushing as slaving in a florescent cubicle all day but not a huge leap from either. Huge reason running your own shop is always high on the list I n this field

It isnt, but most people tend to look for passion and pay, why work for a fucking gulag-like shop when you can work for one that actually treats you like a human being.

>one that actually treats you like a human being.
Which is surprisingly hard to find unless you have clout or know somebody