What is one tip you would give me (a 2nd year guitar player) in order to bring my playing to the next level...

What is one tip you would give me (a 2nd year guitar player) in order to bring my playing to the next level? Most helpful would be some insightful new way to practice.

Attached: guitar.jpg (508x511, 89K)

Guitar practicing sucks. I played 4 years before realizing I'm way more into drums.

strum with your dick the ladies love it

depends on what kind of style you want to play.

I love classic rock

Learn as many songs as possible. Theory is interesting but if you want to play that guitar you have to learn how to play songs start to finish without mistakes.

get good at sweep picking

I agree with this, but it gets kind of boring for me, because I have to dedicate so much time to one song instead of having constant variety. This is where I'm getting stuck.

Learn a song in every genre.

Practice before bed for an hour every night. Bonus points for 2 hours while high on cannabis.

practice what exactly?

That’s where theory comes in you dolt

Whatever you enjoy playing or something you have trouble with. Myself for example, I just figured out how to 8 finger tap

Just find a new one, go back to the old tunes when you're ready. It will be some time before you can play them all the way through without messing up. If you have some friends to play songs with you'll get better a lot faster too.

learn theory nig. it makes learning songs more interesting because you get to figure shit like what scales were used in songs and apply that to your own writing if that is something you like to do

Practicing technique will help you play “better.” Learning theory will help you write better. So it depends on what you want. Learning songs will help you get technique. Start with some Zeppelin. Theory will help you understand why Jimmy Page chose the notes and chords. A healthy balance will give you a well rounded approach.

I'll kick your skinny ass bro, don't ever try that shit again

im focusing on theory now a bit - im trying to beat the scales into my head. but this gets boring after awhile, because it takes my brain a long time to remember them.

Just learn a few you like the sound of and listen for them in songs then learn those

That's bullshit, most of the people on the radio didn't give a shit about theory because they were playing other people's music anyway. Which is what you need to do to be a good guitar player. If you want to learn theory get a keyboard, if you want to get pussy and play guitar just learn songs you like. Don't listen to these "learn theory" incels, they're afraid of tits and cunts.

Don't worry about that crap, it's only important for improvisation which is not something you can do without learning basic song structures first. I'm not saying it's not important, but you'll be better off just playing along to music you like right now. Everything starts to fall into place after you've got a good amount of songs under your belt.

Watch SRV Live at the El Mocambo and play until your fingers bleed

Coming from someone who's been playing for 18 years and currently teaching, practice a single concept until you can't get it wrong. If it's alt. picking, sweep picking, ii-V-I resolutions, whatever, spend your practice on that single concept in every variation possible. In melodic aspects, use different keys. In rhythmic contexts, repetition of a phrase at challenging tempos while maintaining proper form will be key.

From a technique standpoint, use your whole hand, and learn to stretch a whole step (2 frets) from index to middle and from middle to pinky simultaneously.
This user is half-right. Learn a couple of crowd pleasers well, all the way through. Don't need a bunch, though, unless you're in a cover band. Know your crowd.
This user is right about what applies where. Theory, technique, and feel are all important, but you should aspire to have a balance.

Nah don't do that. It's a gimmicky fucking technique. Met the dudes from winds a plague and talked shop for a while. Basically we're saying they wish they learned more theory and scales and shit in stead of sweeping because ultimately it makes you a better musician.
Learn some scales and learn to solo. Play with other people.
Jazz guitar is fucking lame.
Upgrade your.amp first then guitar. If getting serious don't waste money on shitty equipment. Instead get stuff that you could gig with.

Practice slowly and don't let your technique get sloppy. It's better to learn things clean and correct than quick and sloppy. Use a metronome.

Same but not drums it was bass