Coronavirus thread - how fucked are we? How can we stop something that’s spreading so rapidly...

Coronavirus thread - how fucked are we? How can we stop something that’s spreading so rapidly? The numbers will keep growing explain to me how it’s even feasible for this to be figured out before it grows bigger and bigger when a vaccine isn’t likely til 2021?

Attached: 4C0F7544-D371-4D21-AFC8-FC5296DDBBCB.jpg (810x455, 48K)

Other urls found in this thread:

liveleak.com/view?t=kYNE0_1580024400
liveleak.com/view?t=9vf7n_1580007684
liveleak.com/view?t=lWnx_1580062367
liveleak.com/view?t=aj8Oo_1579879476
liveleak.com/view?t=tmCR_1580001940
liveleak.com/view?t=sxIP9_1580009736
liveleak.com/view?t=u3l1x_1580013807
liveleak.com/view?t=sp9Zm_1579768217
liveleak.com/view?t=sx5Xe_1580055594
youtube.com/watch?v=Ii8u5hKWWuI
youtube.com/watch?v=4E5yJwsGrVU
youtube.com/watch?v=YjTqVEED4tY
liveleak.com/view?t=CLjbV_1580140914
liveleak.com/view?t=sNq9m_1580149882
liveleak.com/view?t=aNLJk_1580091920
nullvideo.com/media/recent?category=all
recombinomics.co/forum/431-coronavirus-2019-ncov/
nullvideo.com/user/chovy/eiBTwQF
patents.google.com/patent/US10130701/en
nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMe2001126?query=recirc_curatedRelated_article
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Worry about this if you’re young or old. It’s like the flu but with a lot of media hype.

Just feel like airports should be shutting down anybody from china

Oh yes be afraid OP. A whopping .00000001 percent of the population of china has died from this terrible virus. Better shut down the worlds economy

Literally a glorified flu

Calm down, they've already cured it in Taiwan

media hype for this has been retarded, in one months time it will all but be forgotten about and everyone will wonder what the hell the panic was for.

how can that be? influenza viruses are not in the same viral family as coronaviruses...

I think he’s making a comparison not a literal comparison/ example.

not a literal comparison?
>Literally a glorified flu
then some one needs to learn the definition of "literally"

That was exactly my point

Mad cow, bird flu, Ebola, etc. It's all media hype to make the stocks go down then steadily rise. It's really just one big cycle that has been happening since like 2005 at least that's when I first remember these "incurable killing machine viruses" or whatever.

Exactly this. Just chill out, it'll pass

except mad cow has a 100% CFR

Attached: 1580186012969.webm (320x176, 1.32M)

One of you in actually every Facebook thread about this. Achktually, nobody cares about whether or not this can technically be called influenza or not. It has similar lethality and is a risk to the same demographics. Take that shit back to 2md year med where you'll never treat a coronavirus patient, but pretend to be some sort of expert on the subject around lay people. Actually gtfo.

Spread knowledge and truth our governing bodies cant silence us all if we speak together. Good luck to all people from all places as we go through this.
liveleak.com/view?t=kYNE0_1580024400
liveleak.com/view?t=9vf7n_1580007684
liveleak.com/view?t=lWnx_1580062367
liveleak.com/view?t=aj8Oo_1579879476
liveleak.com/view?t=tmCR_1580001940
liveleak.com/view?t=sxIP9_1580009736
liveleak.com/view?t=u3l1x_1580013807
liveleak.com/view?t=sp9Zm_1579768217
liveleak.com/view?t=sx5Xe_1580055594
youtube.com/watch?v=Ii8u5hKWWuI
youtube.com/watch?v=4E5yJwsGrVU
youtube.com/watch?v=YjTqVEED4tY
liveleak.com/view?t=CLjbV_1580140914
liveleak.com/view?t=sNq9m_1580149882
liveleak.com/view?t=aNLJk_1580091920
nullvideo.com/media/recent?category=all
recombinomics.co/forum/431-coronavirus-2019-ncov/
nullvideo.com/user/chovy/eiBTwQF

Attached: Peoplesliberatioinarmy.png (1146x707, 700K)

Yeah it's completely preventable and has regulations, yet everyone freaked out about it from like 04 to 07.

The term literally has been used instead of figuratively for centuries.
F. Scott Fitzgerald and another famous author I can't remember right now (Charles?)
used it in their books.

Ok this is very sus I found this on the google patent that supposedly associated with the Wuhan cronoa virus.
patents.google.com/patent/US10130701/en

Attached: 10130701 patent number.png (1066x774, 100K)

>literally has been used by careless speakers instead of figuratively
FTFY

Figuratively, a literal glorified flu.

The virus is a symptom of our the cancer that is breaking news
There always has to be a popular media event, there can never be a lull because who would want to watch news if there isn’t some important event going on so they manufacture it
The flu kills 200,000+ people each year and no one gives a shit about it
It’s literally irrelevant, it should be a small blip at best, but instead everyone pushes this retarded narrative to manufacture concern and make money

Think about this, 30,000 people died in the US last year and the biggest media event of the month is a virus that is slowly spreading, they are making a cure for already and has only killed 25+.

I think because of the lack of a greater narrative people (spurred on by for-media), find meaning through caring about these factious events.
They project their desire for change, something important, something to care about/view the world through onto the events.
Inb4 schizo poster

>I think language follows rigid rules and I feel superior by pointing out colloquialisms as if they were just wrong.
Linguistics PhD here. You are literally a retard, and should literally go fuck yourself.

Lmao how old are you? I feel like I survived 5 plagues in the past 10 years. Seriously, it’s the same every other year.

>Linguistics bullshitter here
Yeah, I know.

until it starts killing millions of people, I wouldn't worry too terribly much about it. Just don't eat bat soup like a retard.

That's the beauty of English, you can make up words and give new meaning to others like "Gay" or "Faggot" and people will know what you mean, if it catches on, it becomes a more accepted definition, ultimately changing what it can mean given the context and syntax.
Write me when your IQ reaches room temperature, grammar nazretard

>thinking English is "beautiful"
>using "Gay" and "Faggot" as examples
trying this hard on an image board

“The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimates that so far this season, there have been at least 15 million flu illnesses for the 2019-2020 season, 140,000 hospitalizations and 8,200 deaths in the U.S. The CDC reports there have been 54 reported flu-related pediatric deaths this season from Influenza B viruses.”

This corona thing is blown out of proportion. It’s just media fear mongering.

Never indicated that it was beautiful, faggot.

Reported deaths seem to be doubling every day.
If it continues, there will be 10 million dead within the month.

And still not even dent China’s population.

>the beauty of English
...remember?

The coronavirus is literally just a massive PR stunt. Netflix released the virus to generate interest in their new docuseries Pandemic that just came out this month.

The context implies "redeeming quality" rather than actual "beauty"

Now carry that out another month.
Not saying it will play out like that but the math is scary.
Just picked up a 100 pack of N95 respiration filters.

>beauty doesn't mean "beauty"
>literally doesn't mean "literally"
Do you expect anyone to know (or care) what you are actually trying to express?

Listen up 'language is sacred' purist retard:
'Yeah' is a colloquialism and is as valid as 'literally'.
Your sentence from earlier, 'not a literal comparison?', is a woefully incomplete sentence.
You spent a whole post without initial caps.

If you're going to be pedantic then commit, faggot. If you fail to commit there is always a bigger fish. Were I in a position to offer financial assurance I would guarantee I can out-pedant you.

>Literally a glorified flu
...even though it's not a flu at all.

Says the retard who can't get English right while trying to criticize others' English.

Literally is colloquially a term for emphasis in modern English. Don't be a pedant. There's a linguistics user in the thread who is on the warpath to outdo any pedantry by idiots pretending that the word literally still only means literally.

>nobody cares about whether or not this can technically be called influenza
CDC is "nobody"?

Sentences start with an uppercase letter and end with a period. Since you can't write in English your opinion is invalid.

corona is just an anagram for RACOON

>I know what you think about language
No, you do not.

China has fuck all for infrastructure especially if you are poor.
People still shit in the streets.

It's spreading because china doesn't give a shit about it's people.
My guess is we will have a vax for it before anybody outside of china needs to worry about it.

You people are Literally retarded.

>you can make up words and give new meaning to others
...like an uneducated young child?

nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMe2001126?query=recirc_curatedRelated_article

and coronavirus is an anagram for carnivorous.

Attached: 1564696460924.jpg (718x960, 92K)

>grammar nazretard

>faggot

>purist retard
>faggot

>Says the retard

Perhaps some work on your lexicon would help.

Yup.

In medical circles the distinction is important. On a Mongolian basket weaving forum it is not.

Anyone have Steam's Plague: Evolved game?
It's cool. and very topical now.
You get to BE the virus or a zombie or Planet of the Apes infection and go kill everybody.

Attached: 1451647331529.jpg (1130x1000, 161K)

Perhaps learning not to be pedantic on a casual internet forum would help you not look like a wannabe smartass. Make sure you include a dependent clause indicating context when stating things that may help.

Yes, I do. You think literally must continue to mean only what it meant when you were growing up, otherwise you would not have posted about it. That is not necessary.

Once again you fucked it up. The initial capital on Literally there was completely pointless.

So your're saying this will only kill zoomers and boomers? This virus is truly based.

>pedantic
...is considered an insult only among those for whom education has no value.

It's gonna be like Ebola. It gets a lot of media hype for a few months before being turned into another reddit meme after a year.

Attached: 1579668438183.jpg (720x960, 67K)

>You think "literally" must continue to mean something other than "figuratively",
>because they are different words having different meanings.
FTFY

Pedantry is generally frowned upon in the most educated groups. Case in point, I am better educated on the topic of language than you and keep out-pedanting you to illustrate this. Your pedantry is demonstrably midwit. You advise others to improve their lexicon but refuse to update your own when usages change. Literally can colloquially be used as a form of emphasis, like 'fucking'. If I say I am fucking tired you know exactly what I mean, and it isn't "I am tired due to intercourse."

sauce?

Basically this.

And this. Remember SARS? How we were all going to die? It's OK, nobody else does either.

Please literally shut the fuck up fraud

>refuse to update your own [lexicon] when usages [by uncaring users] change
Your use of "update" in connection with "improve" is an example of shoddy writing.

>you know exactly what I mean,
No, not "exactly", because your language is not exact.

as in Raccoon city from Rez Evil? I knew it! is it too late to become a martial arts bad ass?

BUY N95 MASKS BUY N95 MASKS LISTEN TO THE CDC

The math is scary if you keep it hugely oversimplified and do not take the way th things work in the real world into account. Ebola is an actually fucking terrifying disease. Remember Ebola Chan? Turned into figuratively a literal nothingburger.

It's not a flu at all... Corona viruses do not cause flu. They cause the common cold. It is literally literally a glorified cold virus.

Hey kid, oldfag here, every few years the media overhypes an illness to drive rating. When I started paying attention is was "bird flu", then "swine flu", zika, west nile virus, then Ebola, now this. Stop being a pussy, Kobe's helocopter has killed more people.

Literally had more than one meaning. One of them is as emphasis.

>as emphasis
...for those who cannot pronounce "emphatically"?

Nor is it meant to be, as I'm not writing a dissertation. I'm on a Taiwanese fish lubricating forum telling a literal retard not to be so fucking pedantic because even I, someone better educated than him, know what people mean when they say literally. Use of literally as emphasis is on the dictionary. If you say it only means one thing you are, simply, wrong.

And you do know exactly what I meant. If you thought I meant "I am tired due to intercourse" you'd literally be retarded.

Shoddy is a colloquialism.

No.

Emphatically is typically used as a descriptor for how a person behaves, not as a self descriptor for, for example, tiredness. The connotations of emphatically don't fit in many circumstances. For example, the sentence
>I am emphatically tired.
Does not work, emphatically implies a level of energy not found in the tired.

>Anyone who is so fucking pedantic
>as to criticise my use of language
>is a literal retard
FTFY

When you're wrong, you're wrong.

>used to emphasize what you are saying
dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/literally

>in effect, in substance, very nearly, virtually
dictionary.com/browse/literally

>in effect: virtually - used in an exaggerated way to emphasize a statement or description
merriam-webster.com/dictionary/literally

>Used for emphasis or to express strong feeling while not bring literally true
Mexico.com/en/definition/literally

>Used non-literally as an intensifier for figurative statements
en.wiktionary.com/wiki/literally

lexico, not Mexico.

So much exigesis, to so little effect.

>Coronavirus thread - how fucked are we?
>I'm too young to remember swine flu, bird flu, SARS, and all the other epidemic panics that made stupid people shit their pants (without ever getting infected).
Grow up youngling.

People who have historically used the emphatic sense of literally:
Charlotte Brontë
F. Scott Fitzgerald
Charles Dickens
James Joyce
W. M. Thackeray

They are more trustworthy than an Anonymous user on a Vietnamese recipe sharing site.

We aren't analysing the Bible. Remember, only original meanings matter!