I'm visiting my grandmother from Hong Kong and I wanted to know how tipping works in America. How much do you tip...

I'm visiting my grandmother from Hong Kong and I wanted to know how tipping works in America. How much do you tip? Also why is it a thing? Do the waiters only get paid by tips?

Attached: 1581003324983.jpg (640x757, 87K)

Other urls found in this thread:

tippedwage.com/facts-about-the-tipped-wage/
washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/08/20/theres-a-serious-problem-with-how-restaurants-pay-their-staff/?utm_term=.9a8c74980521
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

omg you don't tip in Hong Kong?
You're all fucking monsters. this is why we should nuke all of you jfk
i had to work as a waitress all through college. people like you should be gassed

Tipping is retarded and gay.
Don't leave a tip, and if anybody gives you shit claim ignorance for being a foreigner.

If service was good take the first number of your total and double it. If the second number is 5 or higher, add 1 dollar.

Ex

26$ dinner = 5$ tip

I thought u were visiting your uncle.
Kys larping faggit

This post again?

Don't tip unless they give you decent service, anyone who says otherwise can fuck themselves.

>how much?
20% is standard, 15% is minimum without people judging you.
>but why?
Originally this was a thing in the Jim Crow era post-Civil War. White people basically knew that they had to pay for their labor now, so rather than pay people a wage, they let black people work for tips. That way if "well the service was bad and the customer decided not to tip. It's not my fault, I'm not discriminating against this black man! He has every opportunity to earn money here!"

So, basically, racism. Why's it still a thing? Because capitalism says it works fine.

Tipping is fucking cancer but you have to do it in America as they’re allowed to underpay servers or something

what if your bill is 3 digits? or 4?

and I bet you're the guy who can't figure out why it's so hard to get good service. Try paying for it lol.

Yeah you can get away with something like $4 or $5 an hour if the employee can "reasonably expect" to earn it back in tips. It's pretty egregious.

It's a part of paypig culture. You're better off eating your grandmothers cooking user.

Meme response.
Nice dubs though.

you win some and lose some - suck it up

Stupidest argument ever. If all stop tipping immediately they have to pay waiters good loan. But with tipping you just support the bullshit. In Europe tipping isn't mandatory. You just tip if service was good. Most times you just round up to be nice like you drink beer for 18.60€ and you say 20€ is okay.

That whole mandatory tipping bullshit is biggest stupidness. The restaurant doesn't pay good loan and then blames customer for not paying extra.

how stupid do you have to be to visit countrys around china right now? thanks for infecting educated people with your coronavirus you god damn globe trotting piece of retarded shit

Not every place expects a tip. Besides. Tipping is something you do if you are, or wish to establish yourself as a patron of the place. If you're not interested in establishing a long running relationship as a valued customer it's better not to tip, and be about your bussiness.

It's your fuckin job. Do it properly and you may get more than your hourly wage. Paying for good service? Who in the right mind tips before the bill comes?

Ah come on fuck off. Coronavirus is less deadly than most diseases. You got brainwashed by media. Every few years they propaganda a new pandemic über-disease

>tipping follows a simple equation because economics is always in stasis and never fluctuates

how many times a day im gonna see this stupid thread

It used to be a thing many years ago to encourage better service, which has somewhat worked, but now it's expected because greedy faggots lowered service industry job wages to 2-3 dollars an hour as long as they end up making more than min wage. It's retarded. The way business owners justify this lack of payment for their employees is they keep parroting "WE'LL HAVE TO SKYROCKET PRICES IF WE PAY THEM A WAGE!!!"
Which is wrong, even if it's correct, I'd still prefer that over tipping. I'd say only leave a few dollars if you just want to blend in, don't even look at the bill. It doesnt fucking matter how much the bill is, female servers make WAY more money than they deserve. They will bitch about their tips no matter what unless they make 300+ on a dinner shift. Fuck them. There should be a big consumer movement to halt tipping and force them to start paying their employees a regular wage instead, it's just absurd at this point because the system is corrupted.

HK deserve to crumble

Waiters are allowed to be paid below minimum wage and we have decided this is somehow okay. Now customers are expected to contribute to their earnings by tipping them. The better their service, the higher percentage of the bill you are expected to tip.

I think it's bullshit, especially places that automatically add a tip to your bill regardless of service quality.

It's beneficial at places you frequently visit, the waitstaff act like whores knowing you will pay them well.

My recommendation is to not tip, you're not going to be here long.

where did you get the "reasonably expect" part? Out of your ass? The employer must pay the employee more if they didnt make over minimum wage at the end of a shift, this is why when it's slow, the manager will cut down on the servers.

Tipping is never mandatory. Tipping is, and always was about fat cats using their money to bribe servers to prioritize giving them better service than the average customer. If you can't afford to lord over a restaurant with your wallet don't tip.

The price of the food itself should have been amended prior to the customer placing the order. As a result the process for deciding the tip amount doesn't change at all.
In other words, go fuck yourself.

Where does "my kid was a asshole, and kept kicking you when you brought us refills, but you were a good sport anyways" fit in your equation?

15% is the standard acceptable tip where I live - any more and you're being stingy, any less and you're being generous

it's a thing because waitstaff get paid less than minimum wage per hour - sometimes like $2.75 or something like that - plus tips

How about don't be a fucking waiter when you know you don't get paid what you want, and have to rely on random assholes to make ends meet

Stay in China you disease carrying rat.

Lol, sure thing idiot.

Oh no see that's how it works. If you just wanna be an asshole and never show your face again, go for it. If you expect to come back and develop a relationship with us, well... my job is to provide food. Above-board service is something you can get, but I ain't working for free. not for you. This is America, fuck that shit. If you want me to schmooze and waste my time giving my recommendations, customizing your order for you, expediting the drinks from the bar, or something that's not "hey whadda you need? K here ya go!" but you've demonstrated no willingness to compensate for it, don't blame me for being kindof unwilling to keep giving it. And unless it's cafe style service, nobody pays or tips before receiving their food.

See

why do amerifats get so salty about tipping server cucks? honestly i'd rather pay more for my food so the chef gets what they deserve and not some minimum wage highschool dropout

Lol, no, they must make minimum wage you fucking idiot. Stop telling people shit you know nothing about.

Because Tarantino did a stupid bit on it in one of his movies.

In which state now? You're not quoting federal law. That only requires a minimum $2.13 per hour if an employee makes at least $30 in tips PER MONTH.That's about $2.13 + $1 a day, or at full time some $16.98 per day, before taxes, or at full time an actual hourly wage of $2.26 per hour, just about.

so not minimum wage.

This is also why tipping is banned in europe.

nice trips but fuck you servers base wage is below minimum wage you commie bastard

Ah, so you're from Arkansas. Some of those deep south states never really stopped fighting the civil war...

yup.
and no matter what the cost, when an american has to prove a point, there's no way it gonna change.
You know, muh gunz, muh prisons, muh niggers... all points to prove, no matter how wrong, because "fuck it".

Attached: cheers.gif (150x200, 1.07M)

muh freedum means i have to give half my welfare to some spastic carrying plates

learn to cook for yourselves americucks

i thought it was cuz prohibition

It was because of the great depression. Close though.

From what I've seen, waiters/servers are the bitchiest, most entitled group of people who don't want to work for what they want.
If you want to have decent pay, quit being a fucking waiter.

>"PeOpLe WhO dOn'T tIp DoN't KnOw HoW hArD iT iS"
Waah waah if it's so fucking hard, quit and get a new job. Nobody's forcing you to serve tables.

Get a real job and don't rely on tips for your job that offers your position as an EXTRA feature.
I don't tip drivers either if that's their only service. Raise you wage, morons.

I'm against tipping in principle but I still do it. I just don't tip when the service was so bad it's made me never want to go back to the establishment. I've had places where I could have swore the servers forgot we were there, places I only got service when outright calling for a waiter.

I still stand by it, tips are earned, not given out because someone did their job. Nearly everyone else does their job without expecting extra compensation. The only thing that gives servers the right to even ask for a tip is that they're getting shafted in terms of pay by their employer. You don't tip other minimum wage servers, why? When was the last time you gave a drive through worker or cashier an extra 15%? Employers should just pay their workers what they are owed and it's a shame that the responsibility falls on me.

>good service
You know what good service is? Bring me my food and fuck off. Let me eat it in peace without you coming back a dozen times trying to get me to buy more shit I don't want.

Same Cred Forums larp everyday

this is how americans calculate tips

If your job is to give service. Why should I tip you for doing the bare minimum? After all, that’s why you make minimum wage.

no no, strictly speaking it wasn't a thing until mid 1800's in the US. The beginnings of the guilded era. Wealthy Americans vacationing in Europe saw it there as a product of their class-based society and thought "how fashionable! We must have it!" and for white southerners who wanted to feel superior to the black People they now employed and PAID, it was perfect. It became a more widely used form of compensation during those troubled times because capitalism finds the least expensive (not the best) solution in a pinch.

Tipping is about establishing a reputation/relation with the restuarant more than anything. Impressed by the clean dishes? Tip the dishwasher. Enjoy how the steak was cooked? Tip to send your compliments to the chef. Was the waiter/waitress able to get you that second cup of coffee they couldn't have known you needed? Show them your satisfaction with your tip. Otherwise you're just going to be just another random schmuck who gets to wait 40 minutes for his fried fish.

Everyday you post this,why?

Yeah I get that. Honestly I think it's a wholely unamerican practice that needs to be outlawed, but we also need to raise the minimum wage. It's just employers have such sway with politicians that, ya know, it's fucking rough to change that. Even when the evidence would suggest they'll be fucking better for it.

Kekd

>Was the waiter/waitress able to get you that second cup of coffee they couldn't have known you needed?
>they couldn't have known you needed?
>couldn't have known

Is my coffee cup empty? Yes. Then ask if I need a refill. Boom. They now know.

>we also need to raise the minimum wage
t. guy who knows nothing about inflation

Shitty service = 5%
Mediocre service = 10%
Fine service = 15%
Good service = 20%
Excellent service = 25%

Shitty service = 0%
ftfy

no, if you tip 0% to a server who relies on wages, you're an asshole. 5% is the absolute minimum to be socially acceptable

If they have to rely on customers for their wages, they need to earn it. No participation trophies for bringing a tray of food from point A to point B if they're shitty at it or an asshole.

tuck a buck in her g-string

Your job is a waiter/waitress, and you only make $2.13 an hour. Let's say it was a really bad day, you worked 8 hours, and didn't have a single customer all day (hypothetically speaking of course). Does that mean you only earned a total of $17.04 that day? No, it doesn't. What that means is, by federal law, your employer must make up for the difference so that you at least netted a total of $58 for that day. This would mean that you actually worked those 8 hours at a rate of $7.25 an hour.

Now let’s say it was a real busy night after a concert or during a football game. Had you worked 8 hours that day, served 10 different tables, each tipping $10, you would have made $100 plus the base rate of $2.13. This equates to a total of $117.04 for that 8 hour shift. That’s more than double what people get paid for an 8 hour shift making at least the federal minimum wage with no possibility of being tipped ($7.25 an hour) which is only $58.

I respect waiters and waitresses and I appreciate the hustle. Many of my friends do this for a living or have done it in the past. I regularly tip well, even if the service was sub-par. But don’t you dare try to guilt me or anyone else into feeling as though your livelihood depends on us. You chose your job, you agreed to the terms, and at the end of the day, if you made really bad or no tips at all, you will still at least make the federal minimum wage of $7.25 an hour, because it would be illegal not to and your employer would be in deep shit with the federal government. No one has to tip you if they don’t want to, so before you start crying about how some prick left no tip on a $90 tab, remember that tipping is a choice and receiving them is a privilege.

Attached: 1556331846961.jpg (326x296, 24K)

The Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) has established a supplemental base wage of $2.13 per hour for employees who earn significant tip income (such as waiters and waitresses). These employees must earn at least the federal minimum wage of $7.25 when tips are included. (If they don’t, their employer is required to make up the difference.) The difference between the cash wage and the federal minimum wage is known as the tip credit.

Advocacy groups often misleadingly point to the $2.13 tipped wage supplement and claim that tipped employees earn less than the minimum wage. This isn’t true: Tipped employees are guaranteed to earn at least the federal minimum wage of $7.25 and typically earn much more. Census Bureau data show that the average hourly wage for a restaurant employee earning tip income is $13.08, with top earners bringing in $24 an hour or more.”

Source: tippedwage.com/facts-about-the-tipped-wage/

"Waiters aren't paid like everyone else. Unlike cooks, who are subject to the federal minimum wage, servers are instead compensated based on the assumption that they are going to earn some extra money on the side. Restaurants are required to pay their wait staff what is known as the tipped-minimum wage, which is $2.13 per hour.

The understanding is that tips will make up for the difference between the tipped and regular pay floor. But even when the tips don't make up that difference, waiters still make no less than the federal minimum wage because restaurants are legally required to pay the rest.

The truth, however, is that that rarely happens. The average base pay for waiters is $4.90, according to Pay Scale. What they make in tips is earned on top of that, and tips alone more often than not amount to a good deal more than the $7.25 federal minimum wage."

Source: washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/08/20/theres-a-serious-problem-with-how-restaurants-pay-their-staff/?utm_term=.9a8c74980521

This. If you have to wait 40 minutes for a cold cut sandwitch. Leave 0 tip, and never return to that resturaunt. Even if it means surviving off of only wifeys shepherds pie.

Bada bing bada boom.
Realist poster in the room.
How you doing?

doing well how aer u

Attached: 1546478082057.jpg (750x708, 427K)

EVERYTIME I SEE THIS PIC POSTED IT MAKES ME WANNA FUCK THAT DRAWING