What's this called? I need more of them

What's this called? I need more of them.

Attached: 0207201956.jpg (1920x1920, 1.08M)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BIX
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kik_Messenger#Open-source_module_name
r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A2KIbMeFWz5eUwcANPJx.9w4;_ylu=X3oDMTByOHZyb21tBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzcg--/RV=2/RE=1581173766/RO=10/RU=https://www.reddit.com/r/dankmemes//RK=2/RS=rl7rzRRbryhd8iwQguncZCQZoLA-
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Thats an abacus.

Dammit, why is it posting it sideways again.

punch down block

You're retarded. It's clearly not.

terminal block

Thanks, thread is ded.

Hey I got one.

Attached: bass.jpg (768x507, 60K)

ICC 66 50-pair punchdown block

that's a 66 punch block
because you're a lowly disgusting phone poster
Anything else you need answered?

It's not a keeper though, go to throw it back.

Get a patch panel instead and use CAT6 cable. The installation will last longer, you'll be network ready if you decide to ditch those obsolete analogue phones and it's a lot easier to deal with.

You got me.

Attached: 82669eae706b841b4ba282debfc0a4e85968b814e2853ba7298e4e725f43d6dc_1.jpg (1080x1510, 144K)

I agree about using cat5/6 cable, but a patch panel isn't always the right tool for the job. I.e. If these are PSTN terminations you can't use a butt sett on a patch panel without disconnecting it.

The picture looks wrong though. The two left columns are connected together and the two right are connected together. Usually there is a removable spring clip between the two center terminals so you can use disconnect the two for problem isolation.

I would rather use the punch down block. The wiring is already there.

>because you're a lowly disgusting phone poster
Considering the use case for these, phone posting about phone stuff is a mini-inception.

Punch down block, I went to school for idustrial electronics

It's a tight space.

You don't have to go to school to know this. I hope it wasn't a waste.

Here in Nashville TN USA I buy these at Graybar

I never even heard of Graybar before.

I've been waiting for this moment my whole life:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BIX

That's a fag board

And I fucked it up.

Attached: bix.jpg (194x259, 18K)

How so?

It's a punch down block. For some reason techs in my area will swap tip and ring across two posts like so

T R
R T

Even though tip and ring aren't swapped at the bottom of the block. This makes no sense to me. The second row is for a second series. All this does is put one phone line onto two phone lines and reverse polarity. Idiots don't realize they need to switch to the cut punch when they're punching down or something. It has to be intentional. I don't get it. I was never taught that. I can't find any wiring logic behind it

what a retard. i told you what it's called. It's a BIX Block:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kik_Messenger#Open-source_module_name

I just connect the same color wires.

Imagine being retarded enough to correct somebody without correcting somebody, and then link a Wikipedia article to a lil messenger module that has nothing to do with Ethernet or telephone or PSTN.

Just imagine it.

Right. That's what you're supposed to do. So why would anybody connect a green to a green but instead of cutting it, connect the green to the red on the other side of the block. And red to green for the other line.

All you do is occupy a second line and reverse polarity. Makes no sense kys anybody who doesn't just use the cutter tip on their punches

.google.com/search?ei=gj0-Xtq8EYHt_QaT5bTgBA&q=site%3Awikipedia.org+%22BIX%22+-corona+-virus&oq=site%3Awikipedia.org+%22BIX%22+-corona+-virus&gs_l=psy-ab.3...3482.3482..3684...0.3..0.120.120.0j1......0....1..gws-wiz.......0i71.Clp7RFGw9dM&ved=0ahUKEwjahbWwk8HnAhWBdt8KHZMyDUwQ4dUDCAo&uact=5

fuckin retarded asshole. go back to redit

Why the fuck is this thread still going and who in the fuck in 2020 is still installing 66 blocks? Also if you wire them like the one pictured instead of looming the terminals you are a straight asshole.

Attached: 1562535776744.jpg (540x400, 43K)

It's an abicus

Work for CenturyLink or any phone company trying to be an internet provider.

I mean I've installed a bajillion of them over the years but it is just one of those things I don't even know why they exist anymore for the most part with modern equipment. Mini rockers are so much easier to deal with and troubleshoot compared to an old 66 block in a basement covered in corrosion.

>Mini rockers
Do you have any pics of these? I stopped doing Telco in 2005 and am ignorant of them.

Don't forget your bridge clips lel

Don't have any good ones but this is what they are.

Attached: 20150924_163423.jpg (1494x2656, 925K)

It still works, doesn't it? I never had any problems with it. I never even saw one corroded. But I guess they were not placed in retarded locations.

If they were done right to begin with they aren't usually a problem but most of the ones I ever ran into a builder or electrician stuck them in half ass and they look like total shit. You should see the ones in basements that flooded at some point, they are solid green.

based answer. cat5e is acceptable as well. patch panels are based and redpilled

>I guess they were not placed in retarded locations.
My worst was in the parking garage of a high rise building. (L&C Tower, Nashville tn) No covers over them, dirt so thick all the wires were grey, and line ID tags going back 50 years tied everywhere.

It worked though. Got 16Mbps ADSL through a pair.

Nothing beats a biscuit full of crystallized cat piss

Attached: 20171011_125853.jpg (1512x2016, 542K)

Kek

Why does your phone always hum like that? :)

>So why would anybody connect a green to a green but instead of cutting it, connect the green to the red on the other side of the block. And red to green for the other line.
No idea. Some people are fucked when it comes to basic, very basic, organization

Obviously it's a catpissitance problem.

I've only seen them on floor joists in basements. But if the water floods a basement that high, the whole house is fucked anyway.

For those of you that work in telcom: do you like it? I've been in social work nearly a decade and have been repeatedly assaulted on the job/pay is awful. I am in management now.
I've been studying to transfer over, been studying my CompTIA and CCNA. Any advice?

Is that your picture? Wtf is in cat piss for it to crystallize? How is this possible?

sex get

an hero

I did networking after my MCSE and it's paid for a lot of groceries. I can't complain. It changes fast, so the key skills are adaptability and constant learning. Specialization is for insects.

(A+, MCSE+i NT4, CCNA/CCNP/CCIE Written, plus a pile of Azure certs)

Quick question.

What do the colors of the 4 wires of a phone line represent? What do they all do?

Red and green are tip and ring. Together they make one phone line. You usually also see two additional wires black and yellow. Those are for a second line. When a line is ringing it has an ac voltage of about 15 volts on it. When it is off hook. It can be connected to a speaker /microphone and it carries an analog signal. When it is on hook there is a low resistance between the two wires.

So basically keep getting certified in a range of subjects/proprietary? I like constantly learning so that shouldn't be an issue.
Thanks for responding

Oh, so the other 2 wires are for a second line? That explains some things.

Another question.
So I saw the tip and ring wires were connected to a transformer. I assume its for the ring. Is there any reason why the other 2 wires weren't connected to it. Was it just not hooked up?

I used certs to (over)compensate for my lack of degree. A+ is a good place to start.

I thought the ringer was 160 volts.

That's a very expensive wire cutter.

If you don't have a second line then it's common to leave black and yellow not connected. We are lazy monkeys that leave that for the next banana.

I'm not sure where you saw tip and ring connected to a transformer. That's usually inside a phone. Specifically a 1000:8Ω transformer to match the line impedance to speaker impedance. None of which is relevant if you are just wiring up phone jacks in your case.

Makes sense. My degree is in psychology with a minor in human services. Not exactly stellar for changing to IT but I have two years experience of installing hardware, training all of my staff on software, and setting up home offices in client's homes. Not sure how valuable that is but I do know studying for the certs is filling in knowledge gaps

I meant 50 volts. I was thinking of something else when I typed it.
Isn't it 50 volts?

You are right. I misremembered. In my defense it has been 15 years. ;)

It's the telephony system your grandfather used when he was a boy.

Still in use in the Middle East, African villages... and in America so there is some merit in learning it although there currently is a push to delete analog phones in Africa and the middle east

This. It looks like it's connected to the 120 volt power line.

Attached: 0207201946a-1.jpg (2981x1677, 813K)

I don't know why they have to change it.

Because people don't want or need analog phone conversations anymore. Its 2020, they want data.

But they literally produce the same result. It's not any different.

I don't recall seeing one of those before. Looking at it the center terminal looks like a ground and the outer terminals are tip (left) and ring. My -guess- is that it's just an interconnection point with some kind of protection in it but I'm not sure.

white board with doodads

It's very different. A POTS line carries one conversation. Use the same pair for digital comms and you can put dozens over it with better voice quality.

I don't think it's going away anytime soon. Kind of like the P90 gun was supposed to make the MP5 obsolete but people just learned and used both

I thought you were referring to how less people have actual landlines. And the quality is never good on phones.

Oldfag dropping off to sleep. Good luck user.

Bollocks. The bandwidth available over a Cat3 phone line is near maxed out with DSL2 and its highly length dependant. More than a few kms from the DSLAM and smoke signals are more effective.

Modern telecoms models use cell phones for voice and landlines for data streaming. There is no future for the old 1000 pair cables running down the main street. They are hopelessly unreliable with water ingress and insulation breakdown causing shorts... and they are a maintenance nightmare.

Old school carrier tech's are on borrowed time and really should be reskilling into building CAT structured cable networks... although even they won't last too much longer as fibre costs plummet

Better learn to splice

It's a fuseblock. Those painted things unscrew and are fuses, and the big wire is a ground. When lightning hits an overhead phone line this bleeds off the charge so your house doesn't burn down.

There's one wire coming from the telephone box going there and the second wire is grounded. It's probably a ground then.

>When a line is ringing it has an ac voltage of about 15 volts on it.

wrong. ring voltage is 90Vrms or about 250V peak to to peak. the normal DC level on an idle line is 48Vdc so a 15Vac signal wouldnt even register.

Volt drop is dependant on load. No load, no volt drop although you are right 15v is a very low starting point for telephony distances.

What's this we're all getting different numbers here. I thought it was 60 volts rms 20Hz. Is there no standard?

>standard

just ask google. she knows.

Attached: google knows.jpg (981x306, 66K)

So that sticker is not for this then? And this looks like the fuses would blow, then continue through the phone lines. How does this work?

it's similar to the crystals you get when you mix ammonia with bleach and then blow bubbles through the solution using a straw

But when it's picked up it drops to like 7 volts.

That's a phone punch down block.

That's suicide.

No it's not wrong. It's just different than a standard 66 block. I have about a dozen of those in my truck from de-installs.

Look at the direction of the clips - 3 on one side and one on the other, and they're all connected so no need for bridge clips.

They're a PIA so I don't ever use them, but come across them every so often on old wall fields.

Lucent/Avaya tech

BIX block LOL. BIX was some Nortel garbage. Good idea in theory, but after punching down the 25 pair cables they tend to come loose when you flip the biscuits over. Plus it's a bastard blade. I have a couple but haven't used them in years. Whenever I come across a BIX wall field I'm the only guy in the room with the right blades for it.

You're doing it wrong. Like this:
r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A2KIbMeFWz5eUwcANPJx.9w4;_ylu=X3oDMTByOHZyb21tBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzcg--/RV=2/RE=1581173766/RO=10/RU=https://www.reddit.com/r/dankmemes//RK=2/RS=rl7rzRRbryhd8iwQguncZCQZoLA-

I still use them on occasion. If I need to connect a single 25 pair or just a couple of analogs why put up a 100-pair 110 blovk when I can just throw up an old 66 block?

Yeah, but you cut the bandwidth. I currently work for a company that makes alarm panels that have an RJ45 connection. If it doesn't have a POTS line the handshake signal gets cut off. So many pissed off customers when they realize the new landline they put in just for the panel isn't working.

How would it last any longer? It doesn't just randomly break.

It's hooked up to a transformer to feed power to something. Some old digital multi-line phones need power on the fourth pair and sometimes you're feeding power to a MOH device or Emergency Transfer Panel or alarm panel or something else. That's all usually in a business environment though, where lines usually come in on large binders with a different color code, but it's all the same.

gaussian blur.

That's some old ass equipment. I found those in the basement of a 100 year old house I lived in.

My house doesn't have a pots line. It's coming from the modem and going to the 66 block to the rest of the house.

Nope. Out of focus.

Are you implying that anything put in a 100 year old house automatically becomes 100 years old?

It probably did at one point or another. And there's no real rhyme or reason as to why the guy used that type of block. Sometimes it's what he was told to do, other times he's just trying to finagle the connections and uses what he has.

The house was built in 1971, it did. And it's acting as a splitter. It's not that complicated.

And I'm pretty sure it's not original. It's simple and it works. That's why it was used.

No, but all the connections and wiring in the basement were old. They were connected to glass insulators (not sure why, figured it was just the old school way of doing it) and the cable used actually had a cloth sheath that ran up the hallway walls that was crumbling off. The POTS lines coming from the outside were terminated on a wood block with these weird binding posts - I'm not even sure what they called them because I hadn't seen them before. It was all charred because there was a gas explosion in the basement back in 1965 that shifted the house.

I needed a second line to my apartment on the second floor, so pulled out the old 3-wire cloth cable and replaced it with some 4-pair plenum I had in my truck. The old stuff fell apart in my hands.

I never said it was. Phone company guys have to hack shit together. There's no rhyme or reason to what they do because they're trying close tickets so do what they have to do to make shit work.

Sandstorm by Darude.

My point was some things never change. My house was built in 1971. Apparently its a picture of a fuse that keeps the phones from blowing up when struck by lightning. I don't think it's very necessary because the phone lines are so thin, they probably act as their own fuse. Then again better safe then sorry. But my house doesn't have a pots line, so it serves no purpose. Or maybe it does, I don't know where it might still be connected at.

Fair enough. But I'd say the flat head screws holding it to the wall are a good indication that that particular item has been there for a long time.

It probably just has a pair coming from the street and is connected to a couple of jacks spread throughout the house.

And by "the street" I mean the telco box on the side of your house.

All the lines are connected to the Comcast modem, I just don't know where the pots line was disconnected at, if not just switched off. If at the box on the side of my house, or the "street".

Fun fact: cable company's box is in my backyard, not the street.

Topkeked

Top tier Cred Forums posting

Fuk'n KEK

What's next in your list of schievements user...?

sparky screwy wired board N times 4
at least that's what we call it in Britain