Is it hard to learn guitar?

Is it hard to learn guitar?

Attached: 9CCB8E44-4C4A-4628-8320-C45DCA496BEB.jpg (3000x2008, 437K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YUHarbdRj5Q
youtu.be/o9-v5mZ3HCY
youtu.be/CJQfZaAQRoI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

With youtube all the new affordable tech toys you could pick it up . Just have to put in the time.

nah

no, but like all things you need to build a foundation to start from, and after that it's just muscle memory
the easiest way is this:
first learn how to tune, by ear with a tuning fork. forget digital tuners. a tuning fork will train your ears better
then, after you can string and tune your guitar, you move on to learning how to set one up properly, with general basic setup techniques since you won't really have a preferred style yet (basic action, tension, etc, you'll learn those when you learn setup)
then after that, start with the basic chords, one after the other. learn the finger placement and literally just hold them in position while strumming for a couple hours. do this for every basic chord and once your fingers learn the muscle memory, you practice switching between chords. then you can move on to learning to read either staff charts or tablature, and scales last.
t. guitarist since 9 years old

"learn" is a weird word. Do you wanna be able to improvise a jazz/ classical/ metal/ blues solo over any type of backing track by ear? It'll take 30 years to get there.

Do you wanna play a few acoustic songs or noodle on some pentatonic scales, or just learn some riffs, not that hard.

Generally speaking start by practicing your coordination between left and right hand, alternate picking, etc.

At first it’s developing the finger strength. That’s the hardest part. Finger exercises on the fretboard should be first thing you practice before doing anything else. Second thing is to learn to tune. Every else is cake

Thanks guys, it is my dream to be able to play Slamming Brutal Deathcore

I gave up and just chill with a bass, then a tuning peg broke.

youtube.com/watch?v=YUHarbdRj5Q

If you're asking if it's difficult, you are unlikely to have the motivation to do it regardless of the answer.

Lol you would be the worst teacher...
No fucking beginner kids have the patience for any of that shit
Find an easy song that uses basic chords, maybe a simple riff, then play the shit out of it until your neighbours are complaining about all that smoke on the water.
You will naturally build muscle memory as you play, and it will be more interesting and fun then whatever shit that guy is on about

this, but do like i said above to kill two birds with one stone
literally just watch a youtube video on finger placement for basic chords
(g c a e d)
alternatively you can also take this opportunity to learn basic tablature reading and learn finger placement that way
place your fingers in position on the fretboard and practice holding them in place and strumming, allowing all strings (that need to) ring out
this will build the muscle memory of finger placement for chords and allow you to get comfortable strumming
after you can just place your fingers in correct position without straining or looking and strum the chord out with no muted strings, for all basic chords, you can practice switching between them
then its just a matter of learning THAT muscle memory

And just like that OP outed himself as a fedora loving faggot

To play the majority of “pop music” , no it’s easy as shit.

To be considered an actual “player”, one of those session dudes that can just walk-in on anyone and start playing like a blinder, takes a natural ability that cannot be taught.

yes its pretty hard at first... but if you have natural skill and a good ear for music that can give you a slight advantage in learning how to play. constant practice is very important

i get where you're coming from and it would seem that people wouldn't have the patience for that, but it's highly important to get a foundation first.
ive taught several people to play, many of whom when on to teach themself to be highly proficient guitarists
the worst thing you can do is teach someone to play a song they like and then say "k figure it out from there"
you need to teach them proper setup and theory foremost so that they can continue to teach themself afterwards

>Slamming Brutal Deathcore
If you are setting your “goal” this low.

One you get there, no doubt you’ll have learned why you shouldn’t stay there.

High level improv jazz guitarist here.
I was once like you

>constant practice is very important
This.

You need to truly “love” to play.
As in, you cannot go a day without it. You need it like you need air or food.
At least an hour a day - minimum ...if you expect to get any good

>find an easy song
this is the start of the path to frustration and quitting

So start with a hard song?

No. It's hard to be good at it though.

Oh several people, wow that's nearly 10!
Seriously though no one is going to just sit there strumming an E major chord
The idea is to teach basic skills in the context of a piece of music.

no, you're missing the point
you don't start with a song at all. you learn the instrument, first. learn how to tune it and set it up. then you learn basic chord structure to train your fingers those basic chords and get them ready to learn the muscle memory required to properly hold the instrument and placement for chord playing.
in this day in age when kids want the quickest route to learning a quarter of the info needed to be proficient at something, it may seem like a hard concept to understand building a foundation to learn from, but it's absolutely necessary if you don't want to waste your time and end up quitting in frustration and having your instrument become a coat rack

i pretty much gave up on playing guitar, even at my most skilled i still wasn't very good and i have no idea why, i tried playing bass for a little while but that was boring so i guess probably stringed instruments just aren't my thing

Start with a “goal” song. Or a ‘guitar Hero”. Someone who you would like to play guitar like .

Then practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice
FOR YEARS....and then you might be half way decent

again, this is the wrong approach and why so many people end up giving up
i get that you're trying to be cute by trolling but the advice you're giving with your comments is definitely bad for anyone who wants to take learning to be a guitarist seriously

And how do you figure that?
Lets pretend You just spent 50 bucks for your first guitar lesson
What is it do you think your guitar teacher will do with you for that first hour you just paid for? Show you how to fucking string it? Tell you the ins and outs of pick up choices
No he would show you basic chords, or a melody, in the context of a piece of music
Cause thats how you learn to fucking play you twat

the first 6 months are hard, but guitar is pretty easy to "learn". Learn your basic chords and pentatonic scales. Play everyday. You'll be able to play basic songs. Mastering guitar is hard. Requires a lot of practice.

You have to play every single day. Easy to learn hard to master. If you dont play every day your progress will be very slow. For me there are plateus, dont get discouraged if it seems like you can only play the same things over and over. Youre getting better every time you play even if you cant tell.

Infinitely harder than being an illiterate bone-headed rapper.

It's not karate, you just fucking play it.

Easy to learn
Hard to master

This. 9 years old guy is an autismo. Im a professional guitar player, as in i make my living off it, and i was hitting 80/100 dollar nights when all i could play was C G and Dm. All i know are basic chords and i make 1-2k a week playing mostly covers.
OP you just have to decide what route youre going to take. Acoustic jamming is easy and portable. Play covers of pretty much anything. If you want to be some technical electricfag playing "metal" or whatever the fuck its going to be incredibly boring for a long time. Pick up an acoustic, cover a couple songs, youll be playing and singing well in under a year.

I started when I was 18. 25 now.
I never had a teacher as I grew up a shithole where music isn't looked as nicely upon. It took me a while to learn guitar and it seemed quite difficult in the beginning as I had no idea what to do with anything. Didn't have access to internet and stuff. But eventually I figured it out. Fact checked everything after I got internet and most of the things were correct. I still play weirdly and don't know music theory but I can play good enough to be in a band and for people to compliment it.

Point is, I had all the odds against me and I'm not really a genius. If I could do it, so can you.
Look up Marty Music on Youtube. He's good. Most beginner guitars nowadays are good. Like Epiphone, Squier, Yamaha. Just get them set up correctly.

Yes and no.

I have been playing for 22 years and I am still learning new techniques and aiming to perfect old ones.

Aim for what you enjoy. Shortcuts usually result in bad technique.

With YouTube & guitar pro it's pretty easy to learn guitar these days.

i play drums in a cover band and i can vouch for the effectiveness of basic chords. the guitarist in my band calls anything within the first 5 frets "the money chords" since that's generally the bulk of what you're going to be playing if you want to keep getting booked. not discounting the merit or talent in shredding or complex extended jazz chords, but the general public doesn't give a shit about the difference between an Esus7 or an Esus4. KISS.
Keep
It
Simple
Stupid

if you are willing to practice you can learn. The entry barrier is probably interest more than anything.

k so i guess I'll have to stoop to your level for you to understand
NO, you stupid FAGGOT
you are wrong, plain and simple. you obviously have no fucking clue what you're talking about, have obviously never taught anyone how to play and probably don't even play yourself
you're misconstrued description of what i said (mentioning pickup choices like an idiot) isn't going to change the fact that with anything, you need to build a foundation to learn from. learning how to teach yourself after learning the basics is a thousand times more valuable than some faggot teaching you how to play iron man
you're a stupid fucking troll trying to belittle others with actual knowledge of something because you lack it
i sincerely hope you fucking kill yourself in front of family members, you absolute fucking faggot

You keep saying build a foundation to learn on
Wtf does that even mean?
What exactly are you doing during a lesson you jackoff

becoming a guitar player is easy. becoming a musician is not

Not really but Bass is two strings easier

It's not hard to play music, it's hard to make music.

Not how I learned at all though.
Self taught, learned by listening and then working the melody out on guitar, and then trying out different chords against that melody to see if sounded right.

It allowed me to develop my own unique, and now I can play anything, just by listening to it

If my first lesson with you didnt include playing anything i wouldnt come back. I dont need to learn to tune with forks before i learn a song. Chill sperg.

Nah man you can't just pick up and play guitar, you have to study it like a college degree, and only after you have written a 10,000 word thesis are you allowed to play hot cross buns

It’s true and it’s not.
Not the same user.

Learning music fundamentals can allow you to “unlock” any peice of music.
But it can also make you a rigid / by tye numbers player, with no innovation, excitement or passion in playing - because you are just regurgitating the fundamentals you have learned .

My path was to be completely self taught, I was kicked out of music class for being just terrible. Then I got given a guitar as a present...tried to learn some chords and then gave up .

Then went back to it a month or two later and found is remembered the basic chords id learned , and Freebird was on the radio, and my G chord matched theirs ...and since then, could never put the guitar down.
Played in bands for years, and only then bothered to actually learn music theory ...but because I had a lot of practical experience , I had a context for the theory I was learning. And played with a lot of dudes who learned all that theory at the start, but could not improvise worth a fuck.

I’d say, know just enough to get by, until you need to learn more.

Lol you've never taught a 6 year old before, I'm sure little timmy would be keen as to learn all about those fundamentals while he's got his finger up his nose

I am playing guitar right now whats your excuse pic related

Attached: rsz_0222201236.jpg (1328x747, 221K)

Thats kind of irrelevant since we on Cred Forums. Also he probably does teach 6 year olds. Wypepo with money are as dumb as he is and teaching little timmy to tune for a year straight at 100 bucks a session is a pretty good scam.

Why are you hanging out at the skate park you pedo

Because im getting drunk and skating you normie guitarless faggot.
High key im leaving if kids show up. Fucking hate scooter kids.

R u homeless

>30 years to improvise

Are you fucking retarded? Most players can learn to do this is some fashion in like 3 months.

Nah your going to rape kids

Kek do you know me? I live in a van.

Attached: rsz_0112201649_2.jpg (2656x1494, 737K)

Kids are annoying, stupid and stink like ass because their parents are all worthless retards. Id beat one to death before i got my dick hard.

No i took a wild guess because you are getting drunk at a skate park with a guitar

Nah you would be getting their dicks hard...

With your mouth

It's easy

If you just wanna play metal, start with basic rock/metal chords called power chords (also known as 5 chords). 2 note chords. When I teach kids guitar, first 'rock chord' songs are usually

The Ramones - I wanna be sedated (E5, A5, B5)
Green Day - Brain stew (A5, G5, F#5, F5, E5)
Then whatever pop songs fit a four chord song structure in power chord form. Lately, it's been
Marshmello - Happier (B5, A5, D5, G5)

From there, it's self directed song choices. I have a 9 year old playing Iron Man and Enter Sandman cause that's what he wants. Another one's playing the new Maroon 5 song, cause that's what she wants. Just build up to heavy shit with rock at first and you'll get there with work.

Thats my MO
Thats not my MO

Been playing for an year and a half. Playing is not hard; being good is

just hit the whammy bar all the time and make it squeal. That's what the best guitarists do.

Truth

You suck. Teach them real punk songs not pop. Maroon 5 and green day fuck wrong witchu?

Fuck off music normie

Newb here gibs tips pls. Should i play the open chords or stick scales? Its my first 2 months and i pretty much do scales only. Give some good basic acoustic songs to learn?

wat.

It's taken me 20 years to feel confident enough to play in front of people and not make a fool of myself.

Agreed. At a minimum learn to read tablature. It’s fairly simple. It’s a nice feeling to be able to site read and play.

Yeah but not tastefully.

start young and put in the time and you might get on my level

youtu.be/o9-v5mZ3HCY

Wear your Dying Fetus t-shirt, get drunk, and vomit on yourself. Leave the guitar playing for the men.

This one gets it.

Holy crap you are very good

what about me?
youtu.be/CJQfZaAQRoI

What music are you into? Because if it’s metal, quit now. The world has enough of your shitty tunes and playing.

user is right
He's even explaining why I didnt pursue guitar playing
Foundation is what i lacked

If you want to learn deathcore it's pretty easy cause I find a lot of deathcore is like 3 notes but played in a way it sounds really technical... I'm not a pro but I started with teaching myself all of rammsteins songs

>3 months.
What can you learn in 3 months?
A pentatonic? 5 notes.
And sure, might start solo-ing over a blues standard.
But your technique will be shit. Your scale knowledge will be nothing. Your variation will not exist.
It may sound like it, but Jazz Improv is not just hitting random notes....you need to carefully train your ears and fingers.

Don’t start running before you can walk

There’s 9 million guitar players in the USA. Only 156 of those learned the guitar. The rest just memorized tablature and watched YouTube videos about how to play pentatonic scales and which pedal is the best

Sloppy seconds-human waste
Cheeseburger-commin home
Merle haggard-mama tried

Please Mr user, it’s been 2 years and I’m now a certified luthier. Can you please teach me a chord?

Learning a few chords and going back an d forth between them I noticed builds finger strength and also lets you have some fun at the same time.
If you have an interest in guitar after that, then you build on what you know. If you don’t, it’s probably not for you.