'member when South Park used to be about kids doing kid stuff?

>'member when South Park used to be about kids doing kid stuff?
Fun fact: most of the 1st season of South Park was commentary on what was hot on TV and in the news in 1997-98

>The Spirit of Christmas
The de-Christianisation of Christmas and the change from Christmas to "Holiday season"
>Cartman Gets an Anal Probe
Alien abductions
>Volcano
imdb.com/title/tt0118928/
imdb.com/title/tt0120461/
>Weight Gain 4000
Child obesity
>Big Gay Al's Big Gay Boat Ride
It's okay to be gay. Nah I got nothing.
>An Elephant Makes Love to a Pig
Cloning
>Death
Euthanasia
>Pinkeye
I got nothing
>Starvin' Marvin
Starving Somalians
>Mr. Hankey, the Christmas Poo
See Spirit of Christmas
>Damien
I got nothing
>Tom's Rhinoplasty
Plastic surgery was starting to get mainstream. Also Hoff.
>Mecha-Streisand
It's full of mid-90s celebrities
>Cartman's Mom Is a Dirty Slut
Single moms being shit parents

Why do some people maintain that South Park only got that way recently? Are they drinking Member wine?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolly_(sheep)
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

MEMBER WHEN OP WASN'T A FAGGOT? THAT WAS GREAT, RIGHT?

What triggered you there, champ?

YEAH I 'MEMBA
I 'MEMBA

Yeah, because alien abductions, cloning, plastic surgery, single parents, tv Christmas specials and africans being poor was a 1997 thing.

Reaching.

But that's impossible. OP was always a faggot

>Single moms being shit parents

That's pretty timeless commentary thought.

not op but i guess you were too young, the alien abductions thing i dont remember much about but the rest were for sure on the news and in the public lexicon

especially the sending money to starving kids and the christmas vs holiday stuff, plastic surgery was big one too

That never happened

Cloning was a big fucking deal in the late 90s, kid.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolly_(sheep)

I had to reach here and there, yeah.

I think it's mostly to do how the political messages didn't directly influence the children as it does today. The show had tons of political commentary but the kids still acted like innocent and childish behind all that dilemma, compared to now which the kids are very much more politically and socially aware and essentially have opinions and thought processes that mirror grown adults.

A lot of it looks seems timeless now, but was very topical at the time, like child obesity, euthanasia, or plastic surgery.
Unironically really makes you think.

The difference is that the early episodes had substance behind not taking a real political stance.

The episode where they made fun of carnies, the episode where they had Korn paraody Scooby Doo, the episode with the zombie apocalypse, etc. South Park's political messages for the most part is just preaching to the choir like Colbert, it's not really edgy or shocking.

Plus, the town itself used to be such a backwater place. Nowadays it's almost the center of everything that goes on in the US/world. Plus the older stuff at least tried to filter topical events through the lens of the town. And old episode might deal with a real world political scandal by having it happen to the mayor or something. Now though, they would just refer to scandal outright.

-X files is part of the 90´s
-TV was flooded with celebrities using africn kids to give him money
-Single Parents were treated like they were the biggest piece oh shit of the society in the 80´s-90´s
-TV Christmas Specials are jsut the thing everyone could do

>I learned something today
I mean, you're not entirely wrong in that they're more reflective of adults now, but they were always voicing their opinions on adult political and social topics, they weren't A plot to the topical B plot or vice versa.
Big Gay Al is an example of that.

And it should be noted that early South Park had adults being really retarded, so they were somewhat on the same level as the kids, and were supposed to learn from Kyle/Stan's episode end speech.

Those were already more the exception than the rule, and still are.

Fair points.

Although not really
> And old episode might deal with a real world political scandal by having it happen to the mayor or something. Now though, they would just refer to scandal outright.
Garritrump is the latest example, A Scause for Applause also comes to mind to.

That part though
>Nowadays it's almost the center of everything that goes on in the US/world.
I agree with. See: Ginger Cow.

>Garritrump is the latest example

But that just furthers the point. Fuck, they even brought back the Giant Douche and Turd Sandwich joke, which was originally just for choosing a team mascot, and blew it up to a national scale to just do a straight lampooning of the election itself.

theres a reason they force to production timeline to be so short
for the express purpose of touching on things happening right now

>But that just furthers the point.
Not really, although I guess Garrison's personality is a bit lost in there.
>they even brought back the Giant Douche and Turd Sandwich joke
Yeah, and I don't really see the point of it. Was that supposed to be funny in and of itself?
Oh wait
>'member Giant Douche and Turd Sandwich?
It ain't makin me laugh but I get it.

Member berries will become Sour Grapes

Screen Cap this

DELET THIS

It's not about the commentary itself, it's that it's so much less inspired than it used to be. And it's not really Trey and Matt's fault, because that happens to every long-running comedy show that transforms from underground counter-culture sensation to a full-blown pop culture icon. See: SNL, Simpsons, The Daily Show, ect.

Yeah but it existed as a concept before Dolly. And that's all it is in this episode. The episode makes no reference to Dolly or any specific cloning headline. If this episode was made today it would.

Are member berries a new thing?

they kind of look like him

All that's fair.

That's probably the angle.
"member when america was great and things were better?"

Subtle.

I can kind of see it. I thought they looked more like Nathan.

Was anyone else weirded the fuck out just looking at these things? I can't remember the last thing in South Park that I just couldn't look at with a straight face.