Which show had a bigger impact on animation?

Which show had a bigger impact on animation?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=nDzblNKjsO0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I don't know about animation, but Spongebob Squarepants had one outside of animation.

Ren and Stimpy is the only one of those three that had any impact on the artform.

SpongeBob, naturally
It spawned many more show creators than Ren and Stimpy did and AT is still ongoing so we won't know how many showrunners it will eventually spawn.
I don't have the tree diagram ready but it's easy to map

Didn't Ren and Stimpy spawn excessive gross out humor in animation?

Those didn't had much impact.

It's Flintstones obvious, this show spawned many garbages with the limited animation and still influence from that day many cartoons especially flash animations today.

It's one of the things they did. Especially the "gross-up" close-up frames that others use now.

Spongebob didn't really do shit for animation, I mean it's a decently animated show but it had no real impact.

AT didn't really impact anything either, it's just a product of something else that people like to blame because it was the first.

Ren and Stimpy is the only one that actually held an impact.

>SpongeBob, naturally
>tree
If you want to go about it that way, you'll have to attribute all that influence to Rocko's Modern Life. That's where Hillenburg came from

Well if we are going outside ops parameters its hard to ignore friendship is magic for better or worse it redefined what girls animation could be and pushed the boundrys of crowd shots.

>Not posting the great grandfather of cartoons.

>camp lazlo
>relevant

?? I've never heard of this and I'm a flapjack fan

Where do the likes of archer, bobs burgers and bojack horseman stand in all of this?

I am so *seek* of your stupidity.

>what girls animation could be
And then nothing noteworthy was made afterwards with that "learned lesson".

None of these really seem to have that big a impact on animation, even though they were unique, I don't remember a lot of shows copying them. What are some shows that were influenced by them?

Check

Ren & Stimpy had the biggest influence because its style was aped by SpongeBob, the most popular cartoon for two straight generations. You can't say SpongeBob was the most influential because its style came from R&S.

Didn't Joe Murray take a lot of lessons about animation production that John K re-introduced while pitching Ren and Stimpy?

Simpsons and South Park for paving the way for both adult sitcom families and limited animated adult shows respectively.

This right here.

However out of the 3, it will be Ren & Stimpy.
No, Hanna Barbera when Bill & Joe ran the studio themselves made nothing but masterpieces, it is when Ruby, Spears and Takamoto took over when the studio jumped shark and John K had to fix the studio with a Jetsons reboot.

I have seen a noticible spike in adventure In girls cartoons.

All of those just copy other shows styles

I don't think so, Tim

>Star Vs.

And what else? The Gems aren't the stars in SU, sometimes there's entire episodes without them, so that's hardly a "girl adventurer show".

Considering you can clearly see Ren and Stimpys influence on both Spongebob and AT, it's obviously Ren and Stimpy. With R&S those other shows wouldn't be the same.

Flintstones
The peanuts cartoons
Scooby Doo
Simpsons (Even though they wouldn't exist without Flintstones)
Ren & Stimpy

Don't forget South Park. It bring up the edgy and offensive cartoons into the adult animation game.

That's less about influence and more about where the show's staff went when they finished working on the previous show. There are obviously technical similarities from staff members bringing things they've learned with them, but it's not exactly the same thing as being influential.

>pushed the boundrys of crowd shots
Didn't the Simpsons do that first?

Ren and Stimpy definitely had the most impact.

But you can easily see the impact Spongebob and Adventure Time are having these days.

>and pushed the boundrys of crowd shots.
Foster's is one of the more notable kids cartoons that wasn't with a big FOX budget that got away with a shit ton of characters in a single shot.

did it really? i mean i don't remember a lot of shows directly inspired by R&S

Archer and Bobs Burgers are from the same people who worked on Sealab and Home Movies

probably Spongebob
there are plenty of shows that tried copying Spongebob

Simpsons pavrd the way of bob's burgers just as Duckman paved the way of Bojack Horseman

A lot of cartoon used the "gross out" close up from Ren and Stimpy

>Duckman paved the way of Bojack Horseman
Duckman is great, but i don't really think of it inspiring anything, just his character and show dynamics being ahead of its time

A good chunk of flapjack's crew (van orman, jg quintel, Kent Osborne, John infantino, mike Roth, Steve little, etc) came from lazlo

I remember reading an interview John K. gave where he said that if there was something he really liked that he didn't think Nick would let to air he would do two other far more outrageous scenes and then take all three for review. The idea was that the scene he actually wanted would seem milder by comparison and get passed.

That was Matt and Trey with South Park.

No, it really wasn't. It was about 1991.

modern animation started with roger rabbit

Now that you mention it yeah mlp probably owes a lot to the simpsons for crowds.

Ren and Stimpy but the other two come pretty close

>ctrl f
>no charlie brown
I know the strip was far more influential but still.

Yes, it really was.
youtube.com/watch?v=nDzblNKjsO0

John K can't even finish a short a time, you really think he has a bunch of back-up drafts of storyboards lying around?

All of them, for the worse, because it was mostly their superficial aspects that got copied (gross out lol! wacky annoying main character lol! noodle arms and watermelon hips on every man lol!)

saying peanuts cartoons isn't the same as naming the devil himself

No, it wasn't you dumbarse. It was a magazine interview I had in either 1990 or 1991. It was John K talking about Nickelodeon, not a fucking youtube video which didn't exist at the time. I probably still have the magazine somewhere.

And yes, he spent a lot of time butting heads with Nick execs.

bump

Which at the same time was highly influenced by Ren & Stimpy.