Why did DC stop writing Clark Kent as a total dweeb and just made him a completely normal guy?

Why did DC stop writing Clark Kent as a total dweeb and just made him a completely normal guy?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikiquote.org/wiki/John_Byrne
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Idk why DC did it but I'm glad they did. Him acting like a dweeb comes off as insincere. Like that dumb quote from Kill Bill that people always bring out about how Clark is Superman's criticism of the human race or some bullshit? To me it implies that Superman would look down on us or something. So I like when Clark Kent is just who Superman is. Slightly dorky, maybe a little clumsy. Nerd. And "Superman" is the act.

It's not terrible that they did. it's terrible that marvel decided to do the same thing to spiderman.

I dunno, he may act a little more grounded these days, but he's still a fucking dweeb. I mean, he's a farmboy from Kansas, he can't help it.

Peter and Clark are two very different characters with different problems in their personal lives. Clark is a renowned journalist for a prestigious newspaper, Peter's a freelance photographer for a tabloid. The former grew up in Kansas and the latter in Queens. Their respective "normals" are very different.

It's okay that neither of them play up out-of-date and offensive "dweeb" stereotypes because, frankly, the kinds of dweebs that they were portrayed as wouldn't be journalists or photographers.

Brought him back to his "mild-mannered" roots, so that he doesn't bring so much attention to himself as the "clumsy guy."

>because, frankly, the kinds of dweebs that they were portrayed as wouldn't be journalists or photographers.

It's less that and more that they don't exist, period. The whole poindexter "geek" stereotype of the fuckin 50s and 60s doesn't exist anymore and it would be fucking dumb to portray characters in modern media that way

There's a reason the AVGN dresses that way, it's an over the top outdated stereotype, that's why it's funny to imagine someone in modern time actually looks like that, it can't be played straight

Spider-Man was a brain and dressed like a dork, yeah, but character wise he was more of an introverted arrogant prick.....stop thinking the Saim Raimi movies are an accurate portrayal of Spider-Man

Because of John Byrne's "Clark is the real deal and Superman is the mask he puts on" meme.

It works well when contrasted with, "in my mind, that's not what I call myself" Bruce Wayne.

One must always see the hero identify as the real one while the other views the secret as real.

Because total dweebs didn't get to be TV newsmen until like, Alan Colmes or Tucker Carlson, and Clark Kent was the GBS news anchor from lik 1971 to 1986.

Nothing screams casual like using Batman to try and explain Superman's character.

If you're this insecure about something like that then Superman probably isn't for you. Stick to Batman

>I have noticed that people have begun referring to Christopher Reeve as a hero. I do not wish to take away one iota of the courage he must have needed not to wake up screaming every single day, but the hard truth is there was nothing heroic in what happened to him or how he dealt with it...In fact, as far as how he dealt with it he didn’t even have a choice. We could imagine he spent every hour of every day when not in front of the cameras begging family members to simply kill him and get it over with—but none of them did so he had no choice but to deal with each day as it came.* Heroism I believe involves choice.

>*Not in any way suggesting this is what was happening, just in case there are those who are paralyzed from the neck up who might be reading these words...

There's no way he said that. Isn't that from South Park.

That's Byrne, baby. Byrne.

en.wikiquote.org/wiki/John_Byrne

When was Clark ever a dweeb?
He is mild mannered, as in pacifist, but never a weakling or some neckbeard

When DC decided that an artist who can't write was the right person to re invent their biggest character, over guys like Miller, Gerber and Moore.

Dweeb Kent was going to be a part of Superman 2000 relaunch. Sad that it wasn't written, because that was the closest we came to having the real Superman back.

>Nothing screams casual like using Batman to try and explain Superman's character.
Right, because it's not like they haven't essentially been two sides of the same cape coin for the last seventy years.

Except Clark Kent was the mask until post crisis.

Peter was just introverted, self-conscious, not a poindexter. Once he got bitten, he got more confident. Peter is meant to be the most average guy in the world, albeit a genius. Averagely handsome, average number of friends, etc.

He was clumsy in the movies. Sometimes pretends to be a weakling so that he can "run away" and Superman can show up. The weakling aspect has been around since the original, since that was one of the reasons why Lois didn't like Clark. He's never been a "beta" though, just a little yellow.