There are LITERALLY only FIVE batman books that you need to read to have a superior, untarnished...

There are LITERALLY only FIVE batman books that you need to read to have a superior, untarnished, pure and amazing experience with the best superhero ever created- these are the five masterpieces in the correct reading order

1. Batman- Year One
2. Batman- The long Halloween
3. Batman- The Killing Joke
4. Batman- The Arkham Asylum
5. Batman- The Dark Knight Returns

Debate me. Convince me that slogging through endless runs of anime tier floppies is worth it.

The only other Batman material worth anything is the animated series, and the nolan movies (mostly the first two)

Man, how about Batman: The Superheavy, or Batman: The I Am Gotham?

Batman is actually pretty awful, but casuals love him.

Howbout
>Hush
>Cataclysm
>Dark Victory
>ASBAR
>Black Mirror
>Morrison JLA run
>Tower of Babel
>Kingdom Come
>Justice
>Fucking Worlds Finest

Bruh...cmon

(You)

>arkham asylum

HAHAHA

I seriously have no idea why people praise that piece of crap.

Sorry, I just don't like Batman and find him to be one of the most boring characters DC has. Didn't mean to offend anyone.

>The only other Batman material worth anything is the animated series, and the nolan movies (mostly the first two)

What about the Arkham games?

His solo movie might end up being good. BvsS was unnecessary and involved a garbage tier childrens superhero (superman)

All unnecessary trash. I listed the quintessential, pure batman experiences

Its literally one of the best graphic novels ever made. You might trash it though because youve never read a real book in your life so you cant appreciate the writing, nor can you understand the amazing quality of the artwork. Not enough action for you I take it?

The arkham games are cool, but I wouldnt put them as quintessential batman experiences. The only thing that comes close story wise is arkham knight, which is basically an overblown retelling of the red hood combined with the extremely cool (but underused) joker haunting batmans head angle

The story of those games are nothing spectacular, just really average to mediocre.
Everything else is good, except for the AK Batmobile.

2-4 are crap.

You miss all the Ra's Al Ghul stuff and Adams' art by skipping O'Neil's run
You miss the shortform storytelling of stuff like Legends of the Dark Knight by skipping it

You said debate, not pontificate about how your casual reading experience of Batman is DA BESS XD because MUH PURITY

I agree. But the picture you posted is from an even worse comic.

I genuinely do not think you can get more casual.

Yikes.

Honesty i think dark victory is a much better batman story then long Halloween

>youre "casual" if you dont like shit

I fully admit to being casual in the sense that I havent read most of the content I dismiss. The difference is that I automatically dismiss it because I already know its going to be bottom of the barrel garbage with a very rare few exceptions

People who unironically like superheroes like the flash, superman, iron man, wonder woman etc are literally anime fan tier subhuman manchildren. Its garbage made for children and for some reason they keep ruining actually potential material like Batman with it

Okay kiddo.

I don't get the point of this thread. You clearly DON'T want to be convinced that there are other worthwhile Batman stories, so why not just stop reading and be content? Do you really need people to recommend you other stories just so you can go "No lol your tastes are shit next to mine"?

>I don't get the point of this thread.
It's b8 m8.

Yes, he's clearly a smug autistic little shit that needs to validate himself on Cred Forums

Year One
The Dark Knight Returns
The Killing Joke
Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader
Year 100

Nah this is autism. Just as enraging, but not designed

The Killing Joke and Arkham Asylum are weak offerings, notable only for the artwork of Brian Bolland and Dave McKean respectively.

>Not only am I a casual but I pretend my casualness makes me better than actual readers
>I think Batman is for mature adults such as myself, but no other capes are, because reasons

I'd say Long Halloween is more enjoyable piece by piece, but Dark Victory tells a much more complete story by the end.

>There are LITERALLY only FIVE batman books that you need to read to remain forever casual.

So basically you don't think Batman should be a superhero unless the story rejects the expanded Superhero universe?

>no mention of the doom that came to Gotham
for shame

Pleb alert
Did you just spend all your gift vouchers in the graphic novel section

No Batman material is worth reading.

t. user who read all the overrated garbage like TDKR, Killing Joke or Year One

>You miss all the Ra's Al Ghul stuff and Adams' art by skipping O'Neil's run
Came to this thread to post this, but OP is clearly only interested in having he preconceptions validated.

* his

>I fully admit to being casual in the sense that I havent read most of the content I dismiss. The difference is that I automatically dismiss it because I already know its going to be bottom of the barrel garbage with a very rare few exceptions
I can't imagine anyone but a child would think that this is somehow intelligent or insightful

OP, did you get tired of derailing this thread?

havent been to that thread so no idea what youre talking about.

Hilarious considering that you still failed. Im a she

Yes

>OP got so embarrassed about his shit opinions he fucked off from his own thread
sage goes in all fields

OP how about you actually respond to some people talking about Batman rather than just saying stupid shit about your feminine dick

This. It's the most pretentious batman story to have ever been written. Even Moore admits this. Nothing happens, there's no tension, and Batman basically isn't batman. It's shit.

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew

And why do you not like Superheroes? Why do you like pretending Batman isn't a superhero?

>Im a she
Makes sense since you're such an attention seeking whore.

Haven another (You).

I don't know why i am bothering since op is just shiting on everybodys opinions but give pic related a read

> Even Moore admits this.

it isnt even a moore story. Are you retarded?

I stopped replying when I realized that its a bunch of autists whining about how every single acclaimed batman story was actually the worst trash ever made. Whiners like inspired me to pick up the novel and start reading the script that came included with it

Oh wow, is this the part where you go apeshit over someone nonchalantly mentioning their gender?

>Im a she
With a feminine penis, no doubt.

>a bunch of autists
Pot, kettle.

>how every single acclaimed batman story was actually the worst trash ever made.
Are you fucking serious? That's literally the premise of your thread. This is either bait at this point or you need to reexamine your life

>I stopped replying
Yet here you are.

>acclaimed
That is, you're unable to discern for yourself.

But I do. The difference is that turbo neckbeards automatically dismiss anything popular

Are you retarded? The point in question was me replying to "people talking about batman"

Go hang yourself virgin. Are women unicorns to you?

C O U R T O F O W L S

>BTAS
>Not BatB
Kill yourself

>>Tower of Babel

not even him but your taste is absolute shit

>Being a characterfag
>Calling others casual

>Hush
>Tower of Babel

every time people rant about stupid edgy comics, I think about that crap

>Batman- The long Halloween
Stopped reading right there.

Your gender dysphoria is nothing to be ashamed of, user. Your inability to formulate an opinion without reference to an authority is less excusable, however.

>Characterfag
Hey, fucker, I'm currently pulling King's Batman, it's been very enjoyable, and don't knock characterfags, they are what's saving DC, or did you think Harley Quinn made the #1 spot because of its superb ground breaking writing? Futhermore, Batman is the most casual friendly hero followed by Spider-Man, casuals who have never picked up a comic in their life can give you some accurate information about Batman. Are you really going to sit there and say that casuals don't love Batman?

>The point in question
is that for a woman, you're not very adept at staying flounced.

>Hush
>ASBAR
You're not helping, user.

Oh fuck off. I happen to love all the stories you do too, I'd even concede the reasons why they're held up as the best of the franchise, but there are also plenty of other stories that hit the same thematic notes in their own interesting ways, or do something completely different that's equally fascinating... but you didn't start the thread saying "I loved these books, please recommend me some other Bat-stories", you started out going "All Batman stories besides these are shit, PROVE ME WRONG".

I mean, I *can* prove you wrong with a single page, but why bother? You'll just cherrypick whichever sentence you perceive as a personal attack and ignore the image because this isn't about debating Batman, this is about validating your tastes.

>I like this comic called Watchmen, it's pretty obscure, you've probbaly not heard of it.

>not liking ASBAR

definitely not quintessencial, as it's evidently not you regular batsy, but it's good if you take it for what it obviously is: an over-the-top quasi-parody

>>Cataclysm

Only as NML prep.

I've been reading the whole arc for the first time recently, and while NML itself is great, Cataclysm/Aftershocks/Road to NML are shit.

>no mention of Starlin at all in this thread.
Fucking hell guys

>no Brave and the Bold
>no Burton Batman
>no Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader?
you fail even at being a casual

What no Jokers Asylum?
No Man's Land run?
What about Run Riddler Run?
Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader?

>the best superhero ever created

Shazam?

He is awful.

Except people mentioned the cult
ctrl+f is not an end all be all on an imageboard

>He is awful when he's not writing Thanos, and sometimes also when he's writing Thanos.
ftfy

This. I loved it

There is LITERALLY only ONE television series needed to understand everything about Batman.

I wonder if you have to dislike Batman to appreciate ASBAR.

I found Batman incredibly boring in pretty much everything I read or watched with him, but I genuinely thought ASBAR was really fun.

Batman TAS?

Does he have Anti-Anti-Batman-Anti-Bat-Spray?

>best superhero ever created
But user, none of those comics in your list have anything to do with pic related.

TKR?

>The Dark Knight Returns
Yeah, that kekked strawman Miller shat out isn't really Superman as far as I'm concerned.

Is no one going to talk about how terrifying The Joker looks in this pic?

>>ASBAR
Go fuck yourself

The Court of Owls is one of the best stories i've read.

>Batman is the best super hero
Can Cred Forums fuck off?

>I havent read most of the content I dismiss.

You remind me of a friend I had that used to read the ending of books first to judge if it was worth it to read the rest. Actually, this is more stupid. You have to read something in order to dismiss it as garbage, just like I'm doing with this post right now.

They are all great entry level comics(and I don't mean entry level in a pretentious Cred Forums kinda way.)

They were the first BM comics I read, and really set a good groundwork to branch out from.

is there a tier list of batman comics

could that even be done desu senpai

Pic related would be on it for starters

>5. Batman- The Dark Knight Returns
No. This is an Elseworlds and is barely about Batman as it's more just about the 80s. And there is so much fucking filler

Like yeah, it's a sacred cow, I get it, but it's not actually a good book and tells you nothing about Batman as a character except that he apparently turns into Rorshach

Did you just pull up a "Best Batman Comics" list off of Google?

Look at that fucking grin. God I love Batfleck.

>I wonder if you have to dislike Batman to appreciate ASBAR.
...that WOULD explain why Cred Forums simultaneously has a hate-boner for Batman and yet a weird cult following of ASB&R. That, and general contrarianism.

I made that image. I'm surprised someone saved it.

Rebirth 1-5 is a solid arc, it's not a completely standalone story but as a Batman hater this Rebirth run has been really fucking good

>Everyone in this thread saying that Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader was good.

I mean, I agree that OP is a bundle of sticks, but come on.

ASBAR is the perfect Batman story

>has Batman's origin in it
>drawn by Jim Lee, an artist who people associate with Batman
>Alfred goes along with what Batman does but knows when to put his foot down
>Batman hasn't slept in 3 days
>Batman and Catwoman genuinely love each other
>Batman is a manchild
>Batman knows he's half crazy
>needs Robin so he's not an asshole
>so prepared he has a 12 year old paint himself, him, and an warehouse yellow
>creepy towards Robin because he is a pedophile
>treats Robin like crap but deep down is impressed by him and comes to like him
>seems to induce Robin with stockholm syndrome so he won't leave voluntarily

You guys like Nightfall? I'm not a big Batman guy but I'm reading right now and it's great

pic related is certainly a big batman guy

How about:
Batman: The Man Who Laughs
Batman: Gothic
Morrison's Batman Run
Batman: The Black Mirror

I like knightfall and knightsend but knightqest is way too damn long and mostly boring

>ASBAR
>bad

>No mention of the Englehart/Rogers/Austin run on Detective

why am I not surprised

This is a good list

Arkham Asylum is awful but other than that your list is perfect.

>Superman
>garbage tier

So I take it you've never read a comic with Superman in it then.....

Have you read any? I made a point to avoid the OPs mentions. Besides those these are the best

if we're speaking honestly here, the real essentials would be, in no particular order:
1. the dark knight
2. the dark knight returns
3. the dark knight strikes again
4. the killing joke
5. animated series

I don't see the hullabaloo about it either

Morrison's Batman Gothic was better imo

Superman is shitty, get over it. The only way you can have a character that strong is through a comedy like one punch man otherwise it's just boring as hell.

It was too good not to. Its such a condescending grin.

Youre doing the lords work user

Year 100 is the definitive. Not to mention Morrison's run, Gothic, Knighfall saga and No Man's Land.

>Dark Knight Strikes Again

U wot?

Perfect example of a writer who burned too bright...

ASBAR is GOAT

>Dark Knight Strikes Again
Best thing about that book is the colouring

Never read a single Batman comic but I've seen the series and movies. Which order should I read this?

Not OP, but read it in the same order that's there

>Hush
And stopped reading right here. What a waste of trips on a shitty opinion.

>Hush
Heart of Hush is superior in every way
>Tower of Babel
nah

I'd personally put Eye of the Beholder and Life After Death as essential reads (though they're Dick Grayson Batman).

The only Batman comic worth reading is this.
Everything else is shit made by a shitty company.

P.S. Usually I'm against company wars, but this thread is already bait so why the fuck not?

P.P.S I actually like both Batman and Moon Knight

batman knightfall storyarc was amazing but long, it took a few dsays to get through. arkham asylum was definatly different. the art work was kind of creepy, which is a great image for the asylum part but not so much for the batman part. batman venom was also pretty great because it showed how he is not perfect and how even he can fall to addiction, and was also a pretty short story.

I will. He looks like every horror movie slasher and serial killer rolled into one and then turned up to 11.

If I wanted to read as much of 80s/90s batman in order in trades what should I buy (in what order)?

>Is no one going to talk about how terrifying The Joker looks in this pic?

I will. He looks like every horror movie slasher and serial killer rolled into one and then turned up to 11. Fuck Batman, we need Superman for this shit.

Agreed with all except "Long Halloween". Would replace with "Joker" or "Batman R.I.P."

Crazy stuff user... 2edgy for me as a youth but definitely a superior Batman story in retrospect.... art and narrative devices ripped off Frank Miller hard but the psychedelic art was genuinely unique

I hope this is bait, cause you actually sound like a pretentious shit eating fedoralord.

Its from "Arkham Asylum", which easily has some of the best artwork ever in a batman book

Year Two.

Eh, the only good Jim Lee works illustrations with Marvel. He kind of loses it when he's not working on mutants or Spider-man.

Its like Stephan Gammell got high on paint, watched Batman, then stuck some crayons in his ass and started wiping on the page.

That's not art, it looks like something a pretentious High School freshman would make.

Stick to your narrow manchild "tastes". Youre the type of mememaster who probably wont stop going on about how amazing Miura's art is in Berserk

Morrison's Batman is amazing

>talking shit about Dave McKean

Yeah you can just fuck right off.

Berserk fucking sucks too.

Oh, he's made good things in the past. But it sure as fuck wasn't Asylum, that shit is a mess.

>Batman- The Killing Joke
But that is barely even about batman

I mean everybody should read it its a classic for a reason as much as the writer wishes it was not but if you had to pick only 5 storys that should never make the cut.

>it's not actually a good book
We Phonogram now.

It's obvious that a lot of people here don't actually read Batman: they read Top 10 lists of comics, which are usually compiled by people who also get their knowledge of comics from Top 10 lists.

kill yourselves

most of it isn't even a Batman comic

Are the layouts intentionally bad?

literally pure autism

it's the only batman comic worth a damn.

are you saying DKR wasn't amazing?

The Dark Knight Returns is a terrible comic book though. I don't know why anybody ever thought it was good.

Hi, OP:

Why would you link that here? Detective work with no point makes you feel special?

you're for real mate?

I don't like batman, so yes, I didn't care for it. I don't really like The Killing Joke either, but I do understand why people like it

>You might trash it though because youve never read a real book in your life
The exact opposite actually. It's Poe-tier edgy gothic shit for manchildren like you.

>youve never read a real book in your life
Typically il/lit/erate condescension.

>welcome to hell...welcome to hell...welcome to hell...

>Cred Forums hating on Poe
this is why comics are not taken seriously. Everytime I think comics are beginning to be taken as an artistic medium one of you shitters comes out and I realize most comic fans are fucking retards who got intimidated by the amount of words in novels and wanted to read something easier instead.

* Every time, user.

>posting a le-rogue pictures

Fuck off Captain Reddit.

I'd add the first part of the Knightfall story-line.

Batman going through the ringer and having to face a full escape of all the arkham inmates, all while suffering severe burnout, is a fun read.

The burnout Bruce goes through is actually a rather good idea. At this point in the timeline, Bruce had been running as Batman for 15 years or so. His body having sustained heavy damage and looking at serious lack of results in Gotham.

obviously has only ever skimmed less and 5 comics ever

faggots like you are everything wrong with this fandom

Poe is melodramatic garbage for teenagers. You reveal yourself.

This guy is actually right.

I started reading Batman comics beacause I loved the animated serie and it's quite embarassing to discover much of the stuff is so dumb when you compare it to a children show.

I went through piles of Batman comics and enjoyed some of them but I'm wondering what exactly would have been lost if I stopped reading after these couple of essential comics everyone knows.
Much of the stuff is just shittier versions of these couple of stories. It's incredibly stupid trash existing solely because there's still a buck to make on a very good character, but a character who doesn't have 80 years worth of stories to tell.

Understanding that I think american cape comics is really one of the worst subgenres of entertainment you could find, where the ratio of good stuff / bad stuff is the most fucked up. Most of these very old characters became grotesque and laughable because they should have died decades ago if the industry wasn't so uncreative.

Your bait turns shit around this point

>one of the most praised writers in history
>garbage for teenagers

yeah, that's why it's studied in universities.

You really are ignorant aren't you? Do you actually read anything that isn't genre-fiction shite? I bet you think Lovecraft is a good writer too.

>I bet you think Lovecraft is a good writer too.
He is, he inspired a ton of fiction. He may be more influential to the entire fantasy genre than JRR Tolkien. Him and Lord Dunsany molded the whole genre

And I read all sorts of stuff, and genre isn't an insult. It would be like saying history is shite

>genre-fiction shite
I bet you are one of those retards that think's sci-fi isn't an important literary genre

>Superheroes are a genre
Yeah, like shōnen and shōjo are genres.

Thank God Baudelaire had better taste than you.

>this thread.
Just great. As if weebs, Cred Forumsermin and Cred Forumstards weren't enough.
Now /lit/ is making this board their shitting ground.

Get the fuck out of /his/, too,

>no golden age

Definitely Cataclysm/no man's land and black mirror. The others are questionable

I'd put it differently: on a technical level he wasn't a *great* writer. What he really became famous for was his creativity, his concepts: in terms of pure prose he's nothing incredible.

Disagree: in all the stories he's known for, there's not a word out of place.

his prose are what make his stuff remarkable. He invented a new way of describing horror. The way he describes something, or triggers your brain to work on it, is unique. he would describe something as
>It was like this and yet not, it was something indescribable
that stuff wasn't really done before or after him, probably cause no one was able to do it as well as him

>or after
Lovecraft is all about the

>It was like this and yet not, it was something indescribable

So have the best experience of the best hero, you have to read the least of it ?

Just admit you don't like Batman you fuck

the killing joke is crap

>all these shitty opinions
>all this derailing

He read it in translation and he was also an edgy hack.

It isn't.

Baudelaire translated Poe, you il/lit/erate poseur.

Pretty much this.

>he thinks TAS and Nolan's garbage stories are not average to mediocre at best

I disagree. Fuck Morrison