Essential westerns

how's this looking so far Cred Forums? have I missed anything?

Those few Tex Willer comics that got translated by Dark Horse?

Missionary Man.

If you're not being a stickler about comics being traditional westerns, Old Man Logan definitely deserves a mention.

no

Not sure about the rest of the Lone Ranger stuff but this mini was done by guys who did Vertigo Hex.

Rio by Doug Wildey

>Generic "Lucky Luke" placeholder

That's such a cop-out. If you haven't read any Lucky Luke just say so. That or recommend specific stories. Some Lucky Luke is just "eh".

Despite the numbering that's actually the first volume. But yeah, probably best to stick with Morris/Goscinny.

No, gtfo of here.

Sexy Gun?

Here's the old rec image for comparison.

Solid list.

I'd personally make a distinction between traditional westerns (i.e., Blueberry, Jonah Hex v2) and so-called Weird Westerns (i.e., The Sixth Gun, the Hex series set in the future, Desperadoes, the Vertigo Jonah Hex books). That's just me, though. Others may not be keen on differentiating the two. I'd actually go so far as to exclude the sci-fi Hex series... it's a fun read in parts, but doesn't really qualify as a western—weird or otherwise—in my opinion.

I'd also add Doug Wildey's Rio to the list (it's a severely underrated traditional western, collected in its entirety by IDW), as well as the English-language edition of Tex: The Lonesome Rider (published by Dark Horse, I believe).

While ya already have a solid wall of DC Westerners on the list
Maybe an entry of Cinnamon too.
At least her miniseries. I remember enjoying that plenty.

The original Ghost Rider is pretty good if you like your westerns with some horror

Having Dick Ayers is also a big plus.

here's an updated version so far...anything else to add?

btw which Lone Ranger runs are worth reading? I don't have much experience with him

Paging Judge user.

updated further

Six Gun Gorilla, favorite comic in the last five years

It's a bit hard to find (I'm not even sure if it has an english edition), but Oesterheld and Hugo Pratt's "Sgt. Kirk" could be a nice addition.
And if we're talking Weird Western, "The Grevious Journey of Ichabod Azrael (And The Dead Left In His Wake)" could be a good fit.