Diamond Sales August 2016, New Records Set

>Marvel had almost a third more comics on sale in August than DC Comics. 93 comics to DC’s 75.

>Yet DC Comics destroyed Marvel Comics on marketshare through August across the board, and placed 9 titles in the top 10.

>Harley Quinn #1 took the no 1 spot, beating out All-Star Batman #1 and Suicide Squad #1 with more issues of Harley Quinn, Suicide Squad, Batman, Justice League and Supergirl taking up the rest of the top ten.

>It took Amazing Spider-Man #16, kicking off their Dead No More event to get Marvel into the Top Ten. Everything else Marvel published was beaten by four comics starring Harley Quinn – and one by Supergirl.

>Which yes, sounds insane. This is both the power of DC Rebirth, but also the lack of reverberation in the market from the poorly performing Civil War II crossover, Star Wars sales slipping and the Inhumans storylines having very little traction.

Other urls found in this thread:

bleedingcool.com/2016/09/16/dc-comics-humiliates-marvel-with-august-2016-marketshare-as-diamond-sets-a-record-month-of-sales/
comicsbeat.com/the-state-of-the-industry/
bleedingcool.com/2016/09/18/marvel-only-has-three-comics-in-the-top-30-comics-sold-in-august-2016/
bleedingcool.com/2016/09/18/how-problematic-is-the-civil-war-ii-tag-to-marvels-crossover-titles/
bleedingcool.com/2016/09/18/dan-slott-says-retailers-havent-ordered-enough-copies-of-clone-conspiracy/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>I don’t think it’s going to be much different for September’s figures. And will take until October before Marvel has a chance to turn the tanker around with the launch of Champions #1, and the sale of hundreds of thousands of copies to Scholastic Book Fairs…

>Just to remind you in April , DC Comics had a dollar share of 25.82% and a sales share of 25.13%.

>In May, that rose slightly to 26.45% and sales share of 26.34%.

>In June, that jumped to 29.93% and 31.69%.

>July, that was 35.36% and 40.96%

>Well, in August, DC Comics owns 39.27% and 44.59%. In four months that is a move of almost 20 percentage points, a remarkable change.

>While Marvel Comics, who back in April had a dollar share of 42.98% and sales share of 47.87% have seen that crash and burn to 30.78% and 32.11% a fall of 12 to 15 points.

>However, it’s not all bad news for Marvel as overall sales for August 2016 were up over 40% based on those in August 2015. So, even though their marketshare fell lower and faster than any time since Image Comics launched, their sales will still be pretty good.

>Indeed Diamond Comic Distributors reports they topped ten million non-promotional comic books shipped during the month for the first time in nearly twenty years, with comic shops purchasing 10.26 million comic books in August. That proviso excludes Free Comic Book Day titles and the like.

>July’s overall direct market comics sales were pretty good, in August they were up 14.13% in dollars spent. Whtaat this all means is that, despite the year’s massive drop in sales at the beginning of 2016, the past few months have made up for it. And, as it stands, 2016 is currently ahead of 2015 at this stage in the year, by 2.71% in dollars.

>Hopefully this might mean the other publishers aren’t suffering as much from the Big Two Wars. Image Comics’ best selling title in August wasThe Walking Dead #157 at #13. IDW Publishing’s TMNT Universe #1 was theirs #85. And Dark Horse’s Briggs Land #1 was at #127.

bleedingcool.com/2016/09/16/dc-comics-humiliates-marvel-with-august-2016-marketshare-as-diamond-sets-a-record-month-of-sales/

>So, even though their marketshare fell lower and faster than any time since Image Comics launched, their sales will still be pretty good.
And this is why I hold no hope for Marvel to change any time soon.

just have to hope they get bootyblasted enough by the market share numbers not making them look good

>Everything else Marvel published was beaten by four comics starring Harley Quinn
Harley is truly DC's new savior

not only more, but also marvel comics were more expensive than DC's

Have they addressed this at all?

I hope they don't; it'll make it easier for normies to associate current Marvel's quality with early Nu52.

I'm hoping for the Mouse to fix the editorial and make a few heads roll, but I know it won't happen

they certainly WILL BE bootyblasted.
they really hate being #2

It's a meme magic year. If you meme it hard enough, it will happen

>Marvel sales up 40%
>But their market share goes down anyway.

Is this a boom period for comic sales?

fuck me if I knew.
the keywords being "fuck me"

>Harley Quinn vs Bendisvel
No matter who wins we lose.

I'm happy for DC because fuck the mouse but...this isn't a great period for me, comics wise. i think I can count on on hand the number of truly great titles that I'm still loving right now and only two are rebirth.

>Is this a boom period for comic sales?
It is and its fantastic.
Dc has saved the entire industry.

Yes?

The whole "comics are dying" thing is mostly hogwash, though the DM is a pretty bad system

Smaller publishers have had growth too and there's more diverse storytelling now than there has been in the last who knows how many years
And there's more platforms in which to read/sell comics, graphic novels are growing consistently, and non-Diamond/non-big two stuff is booming
comicsbeat.com/the-state-of-the-industry/

That's why you should join my dark cult and sacrifice the virgins, so the comic book market will crash hard. Again

and guess who will steal the credit for that?

Why crash the market? what will that achieve?

A real Rebirth

>non-Diamond/non-big two stuff is booming
The windmill analysis thing that used to be on CBR shows how little impact the big two, yes even DC, have in bookstores. It's the closest thing we have to bookstore sales and only one broke the top 20 last year, and it was TKJ

>DC had higher unit share and dollar share with less books at a lower price point
>on the back of Harley Quinn
what a time to be alive

Oh god your right.

In 10 years time marvel will be claiming they were thw ones who saved thw industry.

That's why I want marvel to go bankrupt again.
Over 50 years of ruining comic book market.
Only this time, the mouse will close the doors

>Implying Disney would ever shut down Marvel comics

If the comics go away, it'll hurt public perception of the brand; ie. the very profitable movies.

If they do go into the red, Disney will bail them out, but there will be company-wide shakeups. People will be replaced, tape will be rolled out, and the comics will never be the same.

I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing though

>and the comics will never be the same
How could they possibly make Marvel even more different at this point? What's being published right now might as well not even be called Marvel, it's not even remotely reminiscent of what made them popular in the first place.

>Inhumans storylines having very little traction.
But they don't have any big Inhumans story line going. That would be like blaming Black Widow, or Drax. Not to mention no Civil War that month.

you probably missed inhumans appearing everywhere?

Disney will shut down anything if they feel it isn't making them enough money. Look at what happened to Infinity.

Has Cred Forums finally discover their power?

well, Cred Forums is powerless. Cred Forums is good at meme magic, but they usually invoke some 4th dimension-tier demon

it's called hypercrisis on Cred Forums and we discovered it ages ago

belief = reality is basically the first step

Infinity wasn't deeply rooted in the history of any of the properties it represented.

If video games were directly responsible for public perception of a brand as a whole, Marvel, and almost everything else would've been finished a loooooooong time ago.

the problem is that results are fucking RANDOM

But they've been shit for years.

They'll just come up with a new PR stunt.
Maybe get Kamala to beat up another Trump expy

they were shit, but they were #1 shit
now they're shit, and they're #2

That's certainly going to beat DC.
also, Foolkiller, Solo, Slapstick.
DC is on suicide squad, I mean suicide watch

>Foolkiller
>Solo
>Slapstick
>C/D-Lister literal who's
>Doing jack shit

Call me paranoid, but I honestly think the Solo, Foolkiller, Slapstick shit is only going on because Marvel wants to get their hand into another Deadpool so they can put him in the movies and send DP to the Farm along with the other mutants.

This certainly looks like a good option

Yeah that's pretty paranoid

Kek no surprise here. All the publicity Marvel gets for their films is moot because most of their ticket sales are to bandwagoners who don't even read comics. It's like asking a Disney fan how Sleeping Beauty really ended.

>However, it’s not all bad news for Marvel as overall sales for August 2016 were up over 40% based on those in August 2015
why is rich such a marvel shill?

>cameo=/= storyline

peepee is "number one"
poopoo is "number two"
This is the joke I was aiming for

Why does Dc and Marvel dominate?

I think slapstick might turn out good.
They need more then a handful of good titles to beat rebirth though.

Marvel will turn things around in October and November but they will be doing that by whoring Champions out to scholastic and releasing a bunch of $4.99 comics in their relaunch. Nothing good will come of this

They've been around the longest, are the more recognizable brands and have 99% of the most well known characters.

>Is this a boom period for comic sales?
>Diamond Comic Distributors reports they topped ten million non-promotional comic books shipped during the month for the first time in nearly twenty years
Yes.

Basically, Marvel's sales are increasing, it's just that it's a slight increase whereas DC went from selling at all-time lows to selling fucking amazingly.

Marvel sales aren't down. DC's sales are just WAY up. This is good news for everybody because it means an increase in overall comic sales and a growth of the industry. Of course, the industry has been steadily growing for years now despite what shitposters would have you believe so this shouldn't be a surprise.

Probably a bad thing. Say what you will about the people currently working there, but at least they're actually comic people. The second DC started having to report to Warner Bros-chosen executives was when the overall quality of their books went to shit.

>Rich
>marvel shill
He's literally the most anti-Marvel person in the entirety of Big-2-focused comics "journalism."

>there's more diverse storytelling
no wonder you guys get called Cred Forumsmblr

this is why i can't stand the Cred Forums sales threads. instead of this it's company wars

We don't have meme magic. We have a curse, and his name is Stan Lee.

Yes, we get called Cred Forumsmblr because the absolute retards from Cred Forums, Cred Forums, and Cred Forums don't realise that the word "diverse" isn't synonymous with "SJW."

>implying Cred Forums didn't magic thor into a hit

I miss when company wars were a bannable offense and the second anyone tried to start shit, they'd get a half-dozen replies telling them to go back to Cred Forums.

Oh well, times change and Cred Forums's userbase just gets worse and worse.

No no no marvel is definitely dead user

DC is the one responsible for comics' rising sales, the pie chart says so

I don't think Cred Forums has ever gotten together and sigil'd in unison.

We should try that some time. Only question is what to sigil?

Captain America reveal will BTFO Rebirth.

DC is the one responsible for comics raising sales. This year at least anyway

Maka is cute! CUTE!

"more diverse storytelling" means "We get stuff like Deathstroke and New Super-Man in the same universe", among other things. The people who only count 'diversity' as "protagonist identity" annoy the fuck out of me, genre/tone diversity matter too.

>Event name is DC Rebirth.

>DC's success is being reborn once again.

This can't be a coincidence. Who's working there who's a wizard?

If "making an accurate prediction based on knowledge you have and past trends" = shilling then you're an idiot by even Cred Forums standards.

He said that, come that wednesday, more people would be talking about Hail Hydra than Rebirth and he was 100% right. It had news coverage on almost every news station in the country and was the highest trending hashtag in the world. Meanwhile, Rebirth #1 failed to gain any real traction outside of comic reading circles.

Just because he doesn't shill DC doesn't mean he's a Marvel shill. I know this is a concept that autists might have trouble understanding since being brainwashed into thinking that everything is black vs. white, us vs. them, etc. by other like minded retards.

>Who's working there who's a wizard?
Morrison, though he didn't really have anything to do with this. Way is an apprentice wizard, but likewise didn't really have anything to do with this.

Is wizardry contagious?

Fuck yes, the alt-right wins again! Take that SJW shills!

93 is not 1/3 more than 75

1/3 of 75 is 25; 93 is 18 more, or slightly under 1/4 (it's 24% of 75)

if you don't know the difference between 1/3 and 1/4, I have 1/8 of a bridge to sell you

and again, you're not accounting for sale-or-return returns; because there are no figures for that yet, because DC hasn't released them yet

but Comichron will index those as soon as those figures are available, which will be sometime in the next 9 months at the latest (in fact it's not really worth doing without a year of data, because you need to present monthly averages); Marvel's sales aren't actually dropping (nor are any other publishers), it's simply that DC is sending out more copies, of which we can expect (based on the well-known limits of the business model in periodical publishing as a whole, and within the US comic book market) about 40% to be actual sales to consumers

returned copies, and *all copies which are sold as part of a promotion, or which are given away/sold for less than 20% of the cover price * do NOT count toward the tally of sales; multipacks (where one or more issues are sold together, including variant titles where these have a different means of sale to retailers) may not be lumped into the single-issue sales figures, but must be clearly marked in sales reporting

if DC's not doing that, they're fundamentally dishonest publishers - the one thing you can say about every other publisher using Diamond is that they are at least reporting their own final sales, even if those are only final sales to retailers

if it should transpire, incidentally, that DC is disallowing returns from retailers on spurious grounds but still only charging deposit for their sor titles to retailers, that would mean they are flooding the market beyond any reasonable assumption of what could sell and probably trigger an antitrust suit, so watch out for that

it's certainly going to be an interesting 12 months

It's a shame for Marvel that all that outrage didn't amount top anything. The only people who were pissed off weren't people who read comics and the vast majority of those who do we're rolling their eyes because they knew it was just a gimmick. It's telling that even with the outrage it's losing out month after month to Aquaman

they have no reason to care as long as a) they're still making $ at the same rate they were expecting and b) DC's final sales (after returns are accounted for) don't account for a higher percentage of the market

>hat would mean they are flooding the market beyond any reasonable assumption of what could sell

Hasn't this already been put to rest with how many comics went back for reprints?

>DC's final sales

But sales are already reported at 10% less to accommodate for the potential returnability

Johns is a sorcerer who can manipulate reality through pure brute force of charisma.

Yes it has. Thats just an autistic triggered drone. DC's Rebirth issues are selling out at most comic shops. The shops are actually under ordering most of the time.

We'd have more meme magic to change things if we bought titles.

We would have more meme magic if we dropped the Big 2 completely. If everyone on Cred Forums who actually bought comics dropped them and switched all attention to a smaller publisher we would see some shit. Valiant would probably be the best since it also has a shared universe. Or IDW these days I guess

fair number of us tried to bring back the Constantine show with sigil magic

we ended up getting Matt Ryan on Arrow in return

We also have him voicing John in the JLD animated movie. That's something, right?

Fuck me, we suck.

storytimes have brought back t-bolts, and after Batman and the Outsiders started getting posted talk of a Black Lighting show started

Never. I really lo ve DC comics.

>we have this same thread last Friday
>posts BC link

Mouseketeer, please go

>buying indieshit

Kek sees what you're doing and he disapproves

>destroyed
are we looking at the same graph?

>Harley Quinn #1 took the no 1 spot, beating out All-Star Batman #1 and Suicide Squad #1 with more issues of Harley Quinn, Suicide Squad, Batman, Justice League and Supergirl taking up the rest of the top ten.
Gee whiz, it's almost like renumbering always has a boost in sales except when DC does it, Cred Forums has a giant circlejerk around it and when Marvel does it, Cred Forums thinks it's unfair business practices.

Marvel's been selling almost twice as much as Dc for the past year. DC beating Marvel has happened for maybe 10 months out of the last 10 years.

So what you're saying is, of the two companies that exist to make and sell comics, one spent money and effort massively marketing to people who arent customers and experienced little to no sales for their efforts and the other invested in their actual product and experienced astronomical sales and profits as well as nearly doubling its market presence. I'm not an econ major, but it'seems pretty clear who came out on top on this situation.

>Amazing Spider-Man #16, kicking off their Dead No More event
Y'know, I honestly forgot that was an event that was supposed to begin.

I guess the Civil War II delays got me to stop caring about Marvel events again.

Marvel shipping more books than DC at higher prices and still losing to them is indeed destroying.

I expected Rebirth to do well but I always hedged it with a statement that beating Marvel shouldn't be possible because of the price point difference.

>If everyone on Cred Forums who actually bought comics
So all 10 of us?

Because Marvel is basically doing it yearly now just to get #1 sales boost. DC had a legit reason for this relaunch and you probably won't see another one for many years.

>I expected Rebirth to do well but I always hedged it with a statement that beating Marvel shouldn't be possible because of the price point difference.
True, but it's likely that Marvel still made more profit than DC, given that the former's higher price appears to be able to offset the relatively lower sales.

>Marvel is still selling well
>Harley is top bitch
I want to enjoy this news, but I just can't.

The market is increasing in numbers, so yes, some of those bandwagoners are starting to read comics.

>if we dropped the big two and switched to the option that is most similar to them
If we're dropping the big two, why wouldn't we go with something totally different?

Maybe, but DC does have nearly 10% more of the dollar share so it seems a little tough to call.

>DC shipped 20% less product than Marvel did
>DC's products are roughly 2/3 the cost of Marvel's
>DC's reported unit numbers are reduced by 10%
>DC's dollar share is still nearly 9% higher overall
>DC's unit share is 12% higher

doesn't get much more destroyed than that

bleedingcool.com/2016/09/18/marvel-only-has-three-comics-in-the-top-30-comics-sold-in-august-2016/

>So how, when Marvel Comics have a third more comic books than DC Comics in August, could DC Comics dominate sales so much? Here’s how – by Marvel only having one book in the top ten. Two books in the top twenty. Three books in the top thirty. Seven books in the top forty. And nine books in the top fifty.
>Hellblazer beats Deadpool. Wonder Woman beats Star Wars. Batgirl beats Darth Vader.
>Oh and while we are at it, Aquaman – and even Saga – beats every X-Men comic.

>>Oh and while we are at it, Aquaman – and even Saga – beats every X-Men comic.
RIP X-men

Precisely what Marvel wanted. They've finally killed one of their most profitable titles.

>surely now Fox will give us back the movie rights!

What? New 52 was good and sold very well. It's Convergence that was bad and DCYou that sold badly.

Yeah I don't even understand Marvel's thought process here. Fox doesn't make money off of X-Men comics and current comics sure as fuck don't get people to go see movies.

>and the sale of hundreds of thousands of copies to Scholastic Book Fairs
It seems fucking stupid to even count those a proper sales. It's like when they count fucking Loot Crate.

No doubt this is from higher up, over the editors. Marvel wouldn't sacrifice comic sales for movie rights, not when they were on their own. For the longest time they were throttling merchandise sales but now they're outright sabotaging the comics of their most popular characters.

Hopefully this will push for the return of the F4 and returned support of X-men.

>about 40% to be actual sales to consumers
Fucking what?

You do know that a shit tonne of Rebirth titles have don back for multiple printings right? Have you been reading BC's weekly sales report from actual stores? They can't keep Rebirth stuff on the shelves it sells so quick. When the final numbers are announced it's a fucking garuntee that DC's numbers will be even better (10%-20 across the board)

>shilling this fucking hard for the mouse
Marvel will never get better with people like you shilling for them.

>Only question is what to sigil?

death to diamond

>Yeah I don't even understand Marvel's thought process here. Fox doesn't make money off of X-Men comics and current comics sure as fuck don't get people to go see movies.

Ike Perlmutter is a vengeful fuck.

Speaking of meme magic, I've wanted all of /co to direct their attention at a Marvel editor at once and tell that editor that we want them to fuck off with the anti-Xmen shit.

Even 20 people tweeting one editor all at once would be noticeable as fuck. But unfortunately 90% of /co is part of the MCU Borg.

Because Marvel no longer views the comics as the cornerstone of their company but rather as Research & Development for their movie branch

And since they can't profit directly and completely from X-Men films, might as well piss in that think tank, lest FOX get any more "free" ideas

Which is a damn shame because if there was ever a time for Marvel to cash in on X-Men's ability to work off of racial and sexual politics, that time is NOW

>one spent money and effort massively marketing
Except they didn't. This is the story Spencer wanted to tell, and Marvel did a bit of spin on it that amounted to a press release and handful of interviews. Even they didn't intend for it to become the controversy it ended up being.

One was trying to get attention for one comic, and succeeded at that. The other was trying to revitalize their entire comic line and succeeded at that. But the one that spent massive amounts of money and effort was Rebirth, which worked out great and was well worth the investment.

All Marvel did was the standard operating procedure that they do for the majority of their books already. Just for whatever reason, this time around, normies lost their shit. As others have pointed out, it's not really any different from your standard last page gimmick stinger they pull all the time which is why most actual comic readers didn't have much of a reaction beyond "Oh, they're doing a Superior Cap arc? OK."

>Because Marvel no longer views the comics as the cornerstone of their company but rather as Research & Development for their movie branch
They literally do not have a movie branch anymore. Marvel Studios, "the movie branch," was removed from Marvel Entertainment last year.

Marvel Entertainment is "Marvel." Marvel Studios is now "Disney." Despite Marvel being owned by Disney, it still operates with a relative degree of autonomy. But now Marvel Entertainment, which is who we're talking about when we say Marvel, has 0 involvement with the movies financially.

To that end, Marvel Television is still part of Marvel Entertainment and is currently working with Fox on making a series of X-men TV shows. So no, Marvel Studios (which is not Marvel) makes no money off of the X-men films and are actually direct competitors, but now that MS isn't part of Marvel anymore, Marvel very much is making money off the X-men films.

Marvel's business is:
>Comics
>TV
>third-party licensing
And a handful of other ventures here and there. None of which are movies.

>DC comics have appeased their gods with new writer/shamans and the demi-god Hypercriseus
>Marvel uses black magic to feed celebrity souls to their demon lord Stan Lee

If only I draw and color such a story...

>Two books in the top twenty. Three books in the top thirty. Seven books in the top forty. And nine books in the top fifty.

They have literally never been more humiliated than this. Even when New 52 launched Marvel still had 9 books in the top 30. And this is three months in when the big shots like Batman and Justice League have already been fired

None of Marvel is Marvel. It's all Disney.

You forgot to mention how Suicide Squad needs to gross 2 billion to be profitable.

>And this is why I hold no hope for Marvel to change any time soon.

Know hope, user:

Civil War II label is actually causing crossover titles to sell worse
bleedingcool.com/2016/09/18/how-problematic-is-the-civil-war-ii-tag-to-marvels-crossover-titles/

Dan Slott begging people to buy his books.
bleedingcool.com/2016/09/18/dan-slott-says-retailers-havent-ordered-enough-copies-of-clone-conspiracy/

>However, it’s not all bad news for Marvel as overall sales for August 2016 were up over 40% based on those in August 2015. So, even though their marketshare fell lower and faster than any time since Image Comics launched, their sales will still be pretty good.
Marvel wins even when they lose.

>bleedingcool.com