Did Reeve really deserve this?

Did Reeve really deserve this?

Other urls found in this thread:

blogs.scientificamerican.com/news-blog/embryonic-stem-cells-cause-cancer-i-2009-02-19/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

A working spine? No.

Did you really deserve to be born?

Imagine an actual Superman who was paralyzed but still otherwise had all his powers.

Imagine him hurtling his entire limp body at supersonic speeds in lieu of throwing a punch.

There was that one Doom Patrol story where Chief uses a machine and a kryptonians he kidnapped to transfer the kryptonian powers to him.

His legs still were gone but he just flew around, kinda hovering at a standing level.

This episode did come off as a tad...mean spirited.

south park is best at boiling something down to its absolute most basic truth, and then letting you make the decision
is he eating dead babies to regain his lost health? basically, yeah
are those dead babies pretty fucking valuable to medical science? .. yeah.
so next time you have a debate about it, don't pussyfoot around. call it what it is. you want people to kill their babies and then use them to make the rest of us healthy. It's not that fucking unusual historically, so don't try to pretend you're special for doing it a little earlier.

How can mean spirited be unfunny? I agree with you, but I just want know why.

Fetuses aren't babies much more than your sperm is babies. And aborted fetuses aren't in such high demand that anybody does it specifically to donate them to medical science- they have plenty that are aborted just because women don't want to carry the pregnancy. Otherwise you're right.

To me it was siding with Reeve by showing a satire of how ludicrous his opponents accusations and fear mongering were.

Did He really deserve this?

mooooooooot

Cows aren't babies that much more than your fetuses are babies. And beef is in such high demand that anybody does it specifically to eat them for food- they have plenty that are killed just because Americans just want another burger to add to their poor diet leading to an obesity epidemic and global warming.

Thie strange thing is, since the the episode premeired, embryonic stem cell has become something of a dead end. Regressed stem cells cultivated from the host has proven to be far more stable and easier to to supply, as embryonic stem cells have serious issues with tissue rejection, and a disturbing amount of accelerated tumor growth.

>accelerated tumor growt
Isnt those one of those "need more people researching this, but yeah, maybe" kind of article you're quoting there?

Of course he did. He's a man. And that's the problem with men. The Y-gene is just an incomplete X-chromosome, dig? A man is an incomplete female. Just a walking abortion.

Well there's cynisism, there's roasting, there's poking fun, there's calling people out, then there's just kicking people when they're down. They're all pretty distinct.

They are, you're thinking embryos.

Embryonic stem cells are derived from embryos, not fetuses, and the embryos are able to grow to term (become fetuses and eventually babies, after they're born). If you're concerned that they're being "killed", you have no idea how cell division works during the first weeks of pregnancy - or that these are stem cells derived from IVF treatment which were never going to be implanted in the first place, because they're surplus to requirements for IVF (which you are automatically against if you're against stem cells derived from it, because those cells wouldn't get a burial anyway - they're cells in a petri dish, not anything human, and flushing them is no different to your own body dumping cells it has no need for - which it did by the billion today).

The idea that anybody but a funeral director wants a months-old fetus which isn't viable or a weeks-old embryo which has been deliberately terminated (that means dead) is laughable. There's no useful materiel there. You literally want undifferentiated, living stem cells - not the highly differentiated cells of a complex system.

The fuss that was made about them was so great that major research and human trials didn't start until recently. Tumors were reported in mice, one of the research companies pulled out because of cost (ie threats from idiots who don't actually care to understand what they're talking about), and basically there are better ways of getting stem cells anyway, so it's one of those things that will probably never be answered.

However when it was new, Reeve was both searching for the limits of the technology (which were then unknown) and most likely being targeted by unscrupulous quacks who had no idea what they were doing. You can't really blame the guy for wanting to get well, nor for lacking the in-depth understanding of medicine, especially in a field which was incredibly new at that time.

People accusing sick people of being no better than baby eaters just for taking advantage of medical technology developed using dead fetal cells (we can manufacture them now) were the butt of the joke, not Reeves. Stop being retarded.

Did Reeves ever release a response to the episode?

blogs.scientificamerican.com/news-blog/embryonic-stem-cells-cause-cancer-i-2009-02-19/

I was answering his question.

Does anybody really deserve to get made fun of? Not really.

Should I care? Not really.

>Most basic truth

>Starts off with some completely wrong strawman for the sake of a joke

>Pretends its actually saying something thoughtful

Only retards think southpark is anything other than lowbrow comedy

Was Reeve an asshole before being injured? Or was it just that he started funding stem cell research like crazy after being crippled that made him seem like a dickhead.

>>Starts off with some completely wrong strawman for the sake of a joke
>>Pretends its actually saying something thoughtful

Add some celebrity-drama-of-the-week and I think that sums up the entire show since 2004.

There's the cartoonfag buzzword