Jessica Henwick is a real go-getter

A recent panel interview with Jessica Henwick was @ Supercon Live!
Interesting tidbits.
>Didn't know about Marvel's street-level characters, until Netfix. That's how she found out about Iron Fist.
>She proceeded to reseach his supporting cast. "You can't do Iron Fist, without Colleen Wing!"
>She really wanted to audition for the part so E-Mailed her agent descriptors of Colleen Wing to look out for. As she knows Marvel never releases the characters real names with the slides.
>Knew she really wanted to play Ms.Wing, because there is a sparse amount of Asian-American heroes in comics, and she views her as one of the best.
Panel moderator hopes she gets more love in the comics from success in the show. Agreement all round, there.
>Thought it was weird her and Finn would co-lead the same show, but sees it as a positive, because that believable friendship chemistry will show on screen.

You can see more here.
m.youtube.com/watch?v=RijuW9lOoO8

She's still a lot younger than I'd imagine Colleen Wing, but it's nice to see someone really determined to snag a coverted role.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=GrSupYpPwlg
m.youtube.com/watch?v=keBw6-EZN24
m.youtube.com/watch?v=uaqRfQLrHHo
m.youtube.com/watch?v=tqLwQ2pfPrA
m.youtube.com/watch?v=qxBO4Y13lfM
fail-fandomanon.dreamwidth.org/204186.html?thread=1122668186#cmt1122668186
m.youtube.com/watch?v=UpYOBK_wem8
instagram.com/p/BIuscbeAMwn/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

She's British?

Yep. So is Iron Fist, Daredevil, Superman, Spider-man, the list goes on...!

>Panel moderator hopes she gets more love in the comics
God, fucking this. The way Colleen has been treated compared to Misty, Luke and Danny is fucking abhorrent. They basically treat her like Misty's sidekick, and since Misty is now being treated like Captain Falcon's sidekick, there's no room for her anymore.

Give us a Daughters of the Dragon book already, Marvel.

With the way current Marvel is, I'm fine with Colleen being in limbo.

They'll probably give Misty and Colleen separate ongoings.

>Captain Falcon

I know who this is, but everytime this comes up, I can't help but think how awesome a comic would be for the REAL Captain Falcon

>Excited about signing her first H4H comic. Hasn't received her first her as Colleen Wing fanart yet, but the Iron Fist stunt team made a poster which shopped her face on to a Colleen Wing picture.

Aww, that's super cute!

Posh, too, by the sounds of it.

I'm just thrilled that people remember Colleen's Asian. The comics can't even do that.

They should really change that in the re-prints. I wonder if Ms. Henwick ever got confused reading up about her, because her race/racial appearance seems to change depending on the writer/artist. Well, at least it's now solidified. I just hopes she keeps her red hair.

Getter?
youtube.com/watch?v=GrSupYpPwlg

If Jessica Jones can get a new ongoing, so can Misty and Colleen. Surprised they haven't announced it already. Everyone else has one, now.

what's this from?

Immortal Iron Fist. (Volume 1)

WTF is this supposed to be? Viral marketing? Or are you implying that all the other actors don't give a fuck if they get their roles or not?

No... Just wanted to post a recent interview, and spread some Colleen Wing love. Outside of Danny, Luke and Misty, she's unfortunately viewed as a "literally who".

Then spam her on social media or some shit. How is Cred Forums going to help with name recognition?

It causes hype. Worked for me.

>Cred Forums- Comics and Cartoons

What's with that other chick's voice?

>he doesn't know about meme magic

Don't know how you got that from that post, mate. Does really show how tenacious she is, though. Most cape/book actors don't know of the character before hand and try to stalk out the role. Some do, but if you don't get the role it can be embarrasing in hindsight if you made it public. Best to be stealth.

Does Tyrese still want to be John?

>researched the comics
>planned it out in advance
>got the part
das bretty cool

Just croakly?

Daughters of the Dragon is a much stronger brand name with publication history that just Misty Knight and/or Colleen Wing.

Yeah but Jessica is getting her ongoing a year after her Netflix debut. Neither Misty nor Colleen have debuted yet and even when they do, it'll be as supporting characters rather than title character.

Just thinking Patsy has gotten a new run, it debuted rather conveniently around Jessica Jones arriving on Netflix.

Lol the complete opposite of Simone, she thought she was auditioning for a cop named "Missy".

m.youtube.com/watch?v=keBw6-EZN24

>When she mentions Danny, I get excited.

Sad they didn't mention "Daughters of the Dragon".

>More of the usual outlets are reporting on the latest Iron Fist set photos

Slowpokes.

>she thought she was auditioning for a cop named "Missy

It was the screen name they use to avoid leaks, even Deadline reported the casting as Missy and speculated she was playing Misty Knight.

They do it all the time.

But I want to add that I'm disappointed that she didn't read any Misty Knight comics. I can understand for the Cottonmouth and Black Mariah actors, but nothing about Misty from the books is written in a "comic-y" or unrealistic way.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=uaqRfQLrHHo

@1 minute, she says Jeph Loeb told her not to go out and buy Misty Knight comicbooks, because of potential leaks. (Wouldn't they have just given them to her? Finn's read IIF and TLW, not sure if he bought them or not.)

@7:40 she talks about where her character could potentially go, and mentions her close relationship with Colleen Wing.

If you were an actor who wanted to play a potential cape role, if you didn't know it was that character you could miss your chance.

>YFW I also happens in other media

>Heroes for Hire centred "Superhero Squad" Episode.
>Luke: Check
>Danny:Check
>Misty:Check
>Colleen:Not found

m.youtube.com/watch?v=tqLwQ2pfPrA

Why is this allowed?

wtf i love jessica henwick now

IKR, colour me impressed. Must have really pushed to audition, concidering she's out of the age range of what they were looking for. I'm sure her role in GOT helped for both her and Finn.

>When she was younger she wrote a letter to do voice work for a videogame she loved, with a recorded example and they said yes.

Well, if you don't try...
Lot of confidence that one.

No one cares about this shit. Don't make threads about z list characters and actresses you stupid shills

Question: Because everytime anything new about Iron Fist drops online, the AAIronFist/White Saviour dialogue spikes up again, do you think like "Dr.Strange" Marvel will address it in during promotion?

I would think going back and making Asians as drug fiends and drug dealers would be more objectionable than the white savior stuff.

Well, I'm sure people have objections to that, too. What would really help is if Marvel, Heck Hollywood in general had some Asian (male) leads with their own properties.

>guy posts Cred Forums related content
>someone bitches at him about it

seriously, go fuck yourself. you're half of what's wrong with this place, the other half being faggots from Cred Forums. I hope you get run over by a truck and die in agony.

>Colleen Wing Z-List

Well, she'll be solid C/B-List by the time Iron Fist debuts, won't she?

>Amadeus Cho Netflix series

Just because you don't read comics doesn't mean she's z list

>Shang-Chi Netflix show and Namor movie (with an Asian actor) KTHXBAI.

Hmmm, it appeared the leaked slides said Colleen had "many secrets". Was her mother a member of The Hand in the comics? Even if she wasn't her mother is unknown, I can see them linking her to The Hand. Pinch of salt but, someone on Fail_FandomAnon who said they've seen the first four scripts said The Hand was involved. I'd rather they be left out of Iron Fist all together, but I guess there needs to be a link to The Defenders.

They also said Colleen will be "badass", which is great and they are approaching Danny like "Ultimate Thor", which will be interesting to see.

>disappointed

Haha, I think she knows.
m.youtube.com/watch?v=qxBO4Y13lfM

Seems too lighthearted for Netflix, maybe ABC, or Hulu, if Runaways proves a success.

Colleen Wing's mom has barely ever been mentioned. Colleen's samurai skills are from one of her grandkids.

>Colleen's samurai skills are from one of her grandkids.
And I'm a fucking tard. I MEANT to say one of her GrandFATHERS.

I got you, senpai. Just thinking she looks really young to be a grandmother, haha, but seriously I wonder what they mean by "'many secrets".

>Lol the complete opposite of Simone, she thought she was auditioning for a cop named "Missy".

I don't hold it against actors if they're unaware of exactly who they're auditioning for or aren't preexisting fans of the characters. It's great if they do, it's great if they're passionate about the role going in, but at the end of the day, they are people just looking for paying work. As long as they deliver on what's given to them, that's what's important.

They look soooo young, especially Henwick.

Of course, I'm not holding it against her. Just thought the contrast was kinda amusing. She seems passionate about the show and has done her own independent reseach on the character. Plus, her performance is getting glowing reviews. Read the lastest TIME article on it, and I'm feeling pretty hyped.

Nite, Cred Forums.

Well Danny became the Iron Fist and returned to New York when he was 19 so...

I mean, we had neither Mity or Colleen in the EMH Heroes for Hire episode so that's still a step up.

A Heroes for Hire cartoon would be dope as fuck.

Funny how it was the complete opposite in tone. Looks the same for the CAGE! comic.

Why doesn't Marvel know how to capitilize on the spotlight?

Loeb probably told her after she got the role, and she probably looked up on Wikipedia to get a sense of the character's history.

Tbh I think she's going to be an INO version of Misty.

>Why doesn't Marvel know how to capitilize on the spotlight?
As much as people joke about SYNERGY, I think a lot of what Marvel does it was going to do anyway but may schedule reshuffe to make it line up a bit with TV or movies.

It's going to be so cringey when the upcoming Iron Fist panel at NYCC opens up for questions. You just know somebody will ask so bullshit race question.

Maybe that's why there was no questions during the SDCC Luke Cage panel.

>not Shang-Chi, which would fit in with the other properties and tone chosen for Netflix

link?

>Maybe that's why there was no questions during the SDCC Luke Cage panel.
So why would they open the Iron Fist panel for questions at the less popular convention?

That Time article mentioned the comic Misty as being possibly interpreted as "corrupt"

Da fuck? When has Misty ever been portrayed that way?

Maybe there's more time allotted, and Asian race topics aren't as divisive as black topics?

They have confirmed questions at the panel in the press release announcement.Whatever the case is, I hope they are prepared for a topic on AAFist. Because you KNOW there will be one.

The time she cheated on Danny?

There was that mini where she ran a Heroes For Hire type group, but comprised soley of villains, for the purposes of seemingly making her a big deal in the criminal underground. Sure, it was all a gambit to piss off the Purple Man enough to come out of hiding, but when PALADIN tells you that you're doing some shady shit, that's saying something.

I'm sure there will be mild controversy as it goes to his "Blackploitation" roots, and not the more reserved and contemplative Luke we have in the show.

Well most heroes have been written OOC at one point or another. She easily could've read the old school Misty appearances.

Took a while to find, but here you go, M8.

fail-fandomanon.dreamwidth.org/204186.html?thread=1122668186#cmt1122668186

That was her last starring book. Ever since, she's only been a recurring character in Captain Falcon's books.

>INO
?

In-name only. Where they use the name of a comic character but the depiction is either barely similar or completely different. I'm not feeling too confident and I think it'll be the former.

Thanks senpai.

I can't wait when she leaves that shit and returns back to Danny

guessing "in name only"

Seems very vague, outside of the Hand stuff this is all things we know

Ah. It seems they're leading into her cop life, Pre-KnightWing Restorations and into her partnership with Rafeal Scarf, before losing her arm. We didn't see much if any if this in the comics, themselves.

That'll be nice to see, and I hope we get some hints of Misty being ass kicking detective vigilante in the season.

Her losing her arm will be a dramatic moment for sure.

The Hands hasn't been official confirmed for Iron Fist, but I see where you are getting at. I'm just happy they are leading into the underrated MP/Bryne and Claremont era. Including his characterisation, after reading too many arguments about Danny being the average WASP, and not a "Fish out of water" in America (because, all they've read is IIF) it's refreshing.

Well, I know that, but wasn't Colleen older? It's gonna be odd once they eventually pair with Simone and Mike, respectively.

I feel you. It fucking annoys me how people only talk about IIF and ignore the rest of his history. I'm glad they've gotten some of the old characters like the Meachums up in the show instead of immediately trying to get to Dog Brother #1 or whatever else from the IIF run.

Hope we get to see more old school Iron Fist characters. I'd like to see Master Khan.

Simone seems the worst of all. You can already see her age and she doesn't seem to have the black don't crack condition Mike Colter has.

>because there is a sparse amount of Asian-American heroes in comics
With Melinda May, she's not even first Asian-American hero in MCU.

Why must they try to make about race and shit every goddamn time?

>Hope we get to see more old school Iron Fist characters. I'd like to see Master Khan.
Honestly, he'd be a pretty good Defenders villain, because in a straight fight he's stronger than all of them combined.

1) Nobody cares about May or AoS
2) She probably meant characters from the comics, and she's right, there's barely any Asian characters

1) they should, AoS is good
2) if we are talking about comics in general: Katana, Blink, Cassandra Cain, Jubilee, Amadeus Cho, Silk, Lady Deathstrike, Sunfire.

Just of the top of my head.

>2) if we are talking about comics in general: Katana, Blink, Cassandra Cain, Jubilee, Amadeus Cho, Silk, Lady Deathstrike, Sunfire.

And now compare to how many black characters.

Luke Cage, Black Panther, Amanda Waller, Misty Knight, Falcon just to name a few.

Your point?

>we are talking about comics in general: Katana, Blink, Cassandra Cain, Jubilee, Amadeus Cho, Silk, Lady Deathstrike, Sunfire

Hown many are owned by Marvel, not Xmen, and have a decent shot of getting adapted to other media?

Proves her point.

There's waaaaay more black characters than there are asian and Latino.

So? They are still in the comics.

And besides Cassie, Sunfire and Silk all of mentioned characters made it to the movies.

>Mfw people not just recommend the IIF, but also said its the only one you should read.

If that was the case, sure, but other runs are baller. Maybe you should try and read them first.

>Fairweather fans, I swear.

Just because there is more of a race that actually makes more than 10% of American population doesn't mean that other race is underrepresented. You can't just ignore that dozens of Asian characters already exist.

If anything, it means that comics don't in fact suffer from race underrepresentation if you can take number of Asian characters, which is not small, and then just say there are even more black and Hispanic characters.

Well, she said specifically Marvel comics, and she's right, also: If you really wanted in the Marvel universe or any cape property and people of your ethnicity were in short supply and one that you could potentially play was up, I'm sure you'd be gunning for that role, too.

She looks pretty young, to me. It really seems to depend on the picture, though. I mean Misty IS canonily older that Danny by at least 5 years. Finn just has a baby face, so it's more noticeable. Compare to the comics (at least at the beginning) he looked older than her.

>Does this look like the face of a twenty two year old?

He's explicitly supposed to be 19, 20 tops in that issue. Byrne just doesn't seem to draw young adults.

Not really. I am not white and live in like central Asia and have no connection to my heritage.

And I stand by the fact that comics have zero ethnicity problems.

Ah, 20, I think. I think their classic depictions would be that's causing pause in people, in regards to Finn/Simone.

She disagrees. And unlike the fuckwits who whine that "there aren't enough dark people in comics and they need to make more otherwise their racist", she went in the "so I really wanted to play this character, and when I saw a chance to, I actively tried to."

I wonder what her taste is.

I'd imagine there would be less controversy opening questions to a show being praised for how it handles race and it's depiction of "Blackness" in America, while the other has gotten a large Internet roasting over it's main character's race.

That will never be forgotten, will it?

I wonder if that's why Marvel had such a problem securing a showrunner. If people kept jumping to "The Tournament TM" in season one, instead of something you build to.

Black person calling anyone with light skin white seems like a real thing.

Oh hey! Misty and Shang have jointed Marvel's future fight. (Guess that means he IS in Iron Fist.) Hope we see Colleen, too.

Deffo. I have a feeling she'll still have it at the end of Luke Cage, and get it in The Defenders.

>with appearances from Shang-Chi, Sons of the Tiger and White Tiger.

How would you do Sons of the Tiger and White Tiger without nerfing one of them?

Have either the Sons as flashbacks or, have them disband on the show, throw the amulets in a dumpster and be found by Hector.

Not with an Asian. You'd only get it with Jewish people and shit, those white "ethnicities" that white people argue about among themselves but no one else can tell the difference.

You fucking racist.

It's just the truth.

At most I could see them bullying/joking with her because of her hair being red, but not really the skin.

In case you didn't know a new Luke Cage featurette was released.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=UpYOBK_wem8

>since Misty is now being treated like Captain Falcon's sidekick

Do NOT call her a sidekick

What would they even be about?

>Didn't know about Marvel's street-level characters, until Netfix. That's how she found out about Iron Fist.
>She proceeded to reseach his supporting cast. "You can't do Iron Fist, without Colleen Wing!"

Delete this.

user, Colleen is literally the first person Danny met outside of K'un Lun (at least that we see) who didn't try to kill him. Aside from Luke and maybe Misty, she's probably his closest friend.
It's a reasonable claim to make.

>not allowed to have an opinion because you found out about something later on
Fuck you

No casuals allowed.

user, everyone was a casual at some point. Your mother didn't pop you out knowing everything from Ant-Man to the Ultimates. She didn't know, but went and did the research before the casting even went out. That last part is important. She learned about Colleen Wing just from reading up on Iron Fist, and apparently got so into the character that she was able to give her agent a description to look for, even while Marvel would try to keep said casting under wraps.

She seems fun.

instagram.com/p/BIuscbeAMwn/

This, BAKA at this mentality. We were all noobs at one point.

>BAKA

Well, that's a word-filter I didn't know about.

I actually like her reasoning for hanging out with Sam being "I'm just partnering with you so I can become the next Captain America once you inevitably fail."

Wait, what word did it filter?

S M H

That was strange, because she's drawn pretty Asian in that comic.

Bump

But, that was just "Powerman and Iron Fist", you'd think if Misty was involved they'd bring Colleen, too.

>Even in H4H toys/other media she gets the shaft.

That goes for most cape actors, bar the really big name ones.

What's her exact race? Is her dad white and mom Japanese? Or is she mixed Asian (chinese dad and japansese mom)?

Her father Lee Wing is a Chinese-American Professor of Orential Studies, her mother is an unnamed Japanese woman. Colleen, has red hair, because reasons. Maybe the writer thought Japanese and Chinese culture was interchangeable, who knows. Definitely makes her look unique.

>And I stand by the fact that comics have zero ethnicity problems.
No one gives a fuck what you think. There definitively is an issue of diversity, but faggots have a problem with anything not set to pander directly to them so they bitch about it as if it's some big conspiracy to kill whitey.

You know nothing about black people/how minorities refer to one another.

Casuals are people who don't actually know what they're talking about due to lack of experience with the material. If someone's read up on a character (as in actually reading the comics) they're not a casual.

This sounds like such BS as most of this shit could be gleaned from the various teasers and set pictures. I don't think the Hand are going to be the villains. It's going to be Steel Serpent and Crane Mother and the dickbags that took over the Rand corporation.

They will be one of many. Harold will be the "Big Bad", but many others will pop up. He'll have the most villains of any Netflix show thus far.

I know, I wish people asked more questions. I would of had I known the thread was active. Still intriguing to read.

Lol Don't go to r/MarvelStudios or r/TheDefenders, then.

Also, I think a lot of people have been conditioned to believe Iron Fist pre-IIF was super racist, before Fraction and Brubaker changed da lore~ Even though they didnt create the concept of it being a mantle, they just popularised the idea.

They're missing out on some good shit. There's a lot of stuff that gets repeated that just makes me role my eyes.

Nite, Cred Forums.

Goodnight.

Ugh everytime I go to those subforums and read the comment section I feel like I get cancer from how casual they are.

*subreddits fuck

>I think a lot of people have been conditioned to believe Iron Fist pre-IIF was super racist

I never got this. One of the things I saw thrown around a lot during the AAFist controversy was making Danny Asian would "allow him to reconnect better to his culture" in K'un-L'un.

It pisses me off how surface-level their understanding of these characters are. They don't even read the Wikipedia entries, all they do is repeat small summaries various news articles present. Danny's story was never going back and trying to connect with his roots.

One of the things I notice is most people who were for the AAFist had no investment in the original source material.