IIT: voice actors with great range but are stuck doing the same voice

IIT: voice actors with great range but are stuck doing the same voice

His range is so under appreciated. Ron from Gurren Lagann, to Grunt in Mass Effect. yet everyone knows him as the guy that gets paid to talk into the microphone.

Yeah Blum really deserves to be at the top of this thread. Kenny gets pigeonholed a lot but he also gets a lot of work where he gets to shine. The main thing is how long he's going to be on screen. If he's doing less prominent characters chances are you're going to have a hard time recognizing him. Tom Kenny a lot of work. A LOT of work. You've probably watched more than a few shows and not even realized Tom Kenny was in them. Hell I didn't realize he was the guy in Smashing Pumpkins Tonight Tonight video until a few weeks ago.

Blum on the other hand has done a few things and not been recognizable but 90% of the time they just want his regular low growl.

To a lesser extent John DiMaggio is the same way. He's got a bit less range than Blum but he can still do more than just Bender or Jake.

I was about to say, I call this "the Steve Blum problem"

Nearly all VA's unfortunately.

Kevin Michael Richardson

It's called typecasting.

this. 3rd best joker imo. behind hamill and dimaggio

Came here to post this.

It upsets me when I see Cred Forumsmrades give him shit.

I was pretty surprised when I learned he did the Uncle's voice in Dave the Barbarian. He's fantastic.

Go watch Shakes the Clown sometime.

It's to the point where I legitimately do not recognize him when he actually uses his range. Everybody wants his normal voice.

>Demongo
Would never have guessed in a million years.

DiMaggio has many voices but is always recognizable

what does a 1992 movie has to do with being stuck with the same voice atm?

A chance to see Tom Kenny in an interesting role?

Tim Curry voiced Auntie Whispers in Over the Garden Wall. I would have never guessed this, based on how vastly different the voice he uses for her sounds. I certainly don't blame anyone for hiring Tim Curry to just play Tim Curry, though, I'm just genuinely surprised he's able to do something unrecognizable when he's always so distinctly him.

...I'm hoping this was because he has more range than expected, anyway. He could just sound so different on account of his stroke.

>WoW gets hold of Jim Cummings
>has him use the same voice for everything with slightly different accents

As I understand it his 'speed' has suffered somewhat, but scripted voiceacting is still something he can do just fine, it just wears him out much faster.

This is really apparent in The Old Republic. No thanks to that game, I'm now tired of Steve Blum being used for just about 99% of the NPCs in that game (thankfully, he only shows up once in the recent expansion) and instantly tune out anything he's on or in. A shame, because he really is talented, but I think it's time they let other up and coming voice actors give him a break.

Don't forget Guilmon. Just found that out recently after all these years.

>The voice of Guilmon was also the voice of Green Goblin and Spike

It's a shame he doesn't get to show off his range more often.

I can't fucking stand hearing him now. He's got range, but he has the same voice for absolutely everything. Instantly takes me out of whatever he's in.

Jon Hfucking Benjamin
every now and then youd see archer doing a funny voice and i feel that is just jon struggling against his shackles

All I heard from him was Coach McGuirk.