Any emo Cred Forums characters?

You know, in the early 2000s there was that trend amoungst some young people that wasn't goth but somewhat looked like it.

They listened to bands like 'My Chemical Romance' (a decent band) and also to other bands (often far shittier than My chemical Romance).

It was sort of a thing for a time, so I was wondering if there was any sort of cultural documentation in the same time frame. Its a sub culture that doesn't really exist anymore afaik.

*picture unrelated.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rpaxtkHuZnI
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rivethead
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyberpunk
youtube.com/watch?v=XDeJLXwD2Tw
youtube.com/watch?v=57Hq9U3kwWU
youtube.com/watch?v=Q77sJT8O56E
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

There is literally a team of emo superheroes created by the lead singer of My Chemical Romance.

Misty Kilgore, Zatanna's sidekick.

And I guess Klarion too. In fact, you can find alot of emo and goth characters in Seven Soldiers and Morrison's work in general.

Speedball during his Penance phase, although he still blames himself for the explosion. Also she Raven she had her own emo series.

>sub culture that doesn't really exist anymore
Then what am i doing with my life?

Emo was primarily centered around a subgenre of music that no longer has any widespread cultural appeal. Emo musicians that are still around have pretty much all switched genre and focus. Unless you're a part of the emo revival, in which case you're a fucking unicorn as far as subgenres go.

Your a goth then, I guess.

I was in highschool from 2000 to 2004.

You're right, they weren't goths, but they were sort of an outgrowth of that.

Favourite bands for these people:

KMFDM
Nine Inch Nails
Marylin Manson
Rob Zombie

Favourite movies for these people:

The Matrix
Fight Club
Sleepy Hollow
The Crow

They weren't really goths or emos -- they were more angry than sad. 'Scene kid' doesn't scan either, that term didn't really come into use until the mid 2000s. To be honest, shit like my chemical romance came later and was more popular with kids about 3 or 4 years younger.
Think of it as a transitional subculture halfway between the cynical Generation X, and self absorbed generation Y.

Emo is no goth, for fucks sake.

Remember this?

youtube.com/watch?v=rpaxtkHuZnI

I thought those were scene kids not emo.
>Hawthorne Heights
>Jeffrey Star
those were all scene kids bands

GRIIIIFIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITH

lol

cyber punks.

they were cyber punks.

You assume I know the difference, or that I believe it's something worth knowing.

well la dee dah, trip fag

>cyber punk
Did you just make that up?

We call them rivetheads where I lived.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rivethead

William Gibson did first.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyberpunk

What's the difference?

Dream of the Endless is goth.
Shade, The Changing Man is emo.

Misty is love. Misty is life.

Whaaaat? Klarion isn't even close to emo. He's positively chipper and upbeat compared to fucking emo-kids. All they did is mope around, claim to be bi-sexual and cut themself. Wearing black =/= emo. I was part of that generation and emo-kids were insufferable.

Plus Klarion likes metal.

Here's a nice old reference picture.

Interesting. That guy actually knows his shit.

youtube.com/watch?v=XDeJLXwD2Tw

Carrie from Gumball?

Iirc, MCR actually hates being called emo.

There seem to be few weeb or emo characters in the media despite how common those were in the 2000s. I always hear the media is 20 years behind. Only recently have anime obsessed teens been depicted in cartoons, like Connie from SU.

There is a FOP episode unironically where Timmy goes emo. Mind you, this came out in like 2012.

Emo (emotional hardcore, which actually sounds worse) is an offshoot of punk from the 90's.
Nothing to do with MCR or those angsty scene kids.
Not surprised people still have no idea what they're talking about, just surprised it's being talked about.

youtube.com/watch?v=57Hq9U3kwWU

Are there any scene kids either? Now that I think about it, much of 2000s culture never appears in cartoons or comics. Where are the annoying anime obsessed 12 year olds, scene kids, and emo kids? Goths and punks appear constantly but tbqh they're more of a 90s thing.

>Goths and punks
>more of a 90s thing

The 2010s has new subcultures like hipsters, the revival of goths, retro fans, and those weird hippie chicks who wear flowers in their hair. We Bare Bears is pretty good at making fun of them.

>and cut themself
Nico Minoru?

>Witch boy
Is that different than a warlock?

He's actually in charge of a whole new DC imprint for teen books that's trying to sponge off the dying embers of Vertigo coming out soon. So you can expect emo influence on several new titles. No idea why a washed up singer is editing comic books, but there you go.

Nah not enough focus on technology and electronic/punk-y music.

xyla from angry asian girl. boarder line suicidal.

Shit son, you've just described me. And I know I should have outgrown this, I know, but I cant help loving those things.

Posting the most obvious one.

What's the difference?

that's goth ya daft cunt.

Before joining My Chemical Romance he tried to pitch a cartoon to CN but got rejected, so technically he's a washed up cartoonist gone singer gone comic book editor.

Jason Todd

she strikes me as more of a goth

Goth.

Many of these examples are goth. Emo are more like scene kids who wear black. They're rarely over 20 as well.

>You will never annex Schleswig-Holstein in the name of Prussia

>Where are the annoying anime obsessed 12 year olds, scene kids, and emo kids?
On Cred Forums.

You don't want to stop loving things just because you "ought to" anyway. You only get to love so many things, and when you run out, you don't get any more.

>Wolfman's doing another Raven book with this premise

>ywn annex Schleswig-Holstein
>ywn defeat the French and the Austrians
>ywn rebuild the German Empire

New one looks promising at least
Should have had a subtitle though

The Emo Kid from 2010 series Kick Buttowski™

>Cred Forumsnon female

Don't start. It'll only end in pain.

I love these kinds of pics

>tfw no Cred Forums girlfriend

or a punk rock?

Supernatural punks are all about friendship.

Emo was a terrible fad and always will be. They took the shitty parts of goth and tied it with hot topic. Goth had a real scene and multifaceted style, emo pretended to be introspective and never was

Nico is clearly goth. I wish someone who understood that subculture would write her though

Yes, they grow up to be witch-men.

Don't question it, it's Morrison.

He ate a twinkie?

She will never be written well again.

Better.

Remember when the internet despised emo's to furry-tier levels? Remember when pretty much any character who ever felt bad or introspective was a filthy emo?

>watch Eva back in 2008
>don't think Shinji is all that bad most of the time, and when he is broken as fuck so is the entire setting
>feel really weird about it because "lol gay emo" was like half of discussion of Eva

Hipsters were around in the latter 2000's, but then again 2010 culturally begin in 2008.

I've never seen any rise in hippie flower chicks, but little hair decs like that are muh dick territory.

Oh yeah. To be fair I took part in that, I hated emo kids so much. Them and their Myspace faggotry. Ugh.

Now I would trade all the sjw's for emo kids though. Hindsight...

Oh, I picked on a few emo kids (including legit cutters) in middle school myself, even made the mistake of confusing a goth chick for an emo. desu I wasn't really any less edgy.

Since I have to take every one of these threads into amateur sociology time, I suspect SJW's came about because of the shift to extreme sincerity; being snarky and apathetic about everything got old. I consider New Sincerity a good thing overall, but nothing's perfect.

There were no screams.
There was no time.

Can confirm, was definitely an emo kid in my middle school years- I was part of that later subset of emo that was more pop-punk with sad lyrics than actual emo. My favorite bands then were MCR, FOB and the Early November.

Those kids you're talking about had the pep of skaters but still wore black trip pants and nail polish.

I really hope this becomes a TV show and not sit in development Hell.

You can probably find a lot of emo fuckery if you count webcomics from the time

...I can't think of a specific example at the moment, no.

Not sure what the most accurate category is for the incontinent wheelchair singer boy from Sweet Dreams Bakery.

They were mall goths, otherwise known as baby bats.

Looks like mid-00s visual kei by way of final fantasy? Like those few years at that tail end of the anime wave when the weebs got into Dir en Grey and Gazette.

>Naruto headband.

Those people existed! People who wore those things to High School.

I was one of them!

Fuck.

That kind of person still exists.
They just wear ears and a tail.

Yeah, that's where it got the name pussy deflector.

i'm still mad arena was a thing
so many good characters gone, for a bullshit event, killed by a bullshit villain
i want to die

holy shit dude. did you reign in those critical levels of autism? are you still as bad?

He only interned at CN as a way of trying to make inroads to DC because Morrison is his hero and he really wanted to write comics. Then 9/11 happened and since he'd also wanted to do music and realized that he only had a limited time to do that he started MCR.

/his/ memes are always funny.

>have girlfriend
>she's really into old Go Nagai stuff
>but she's also a fujo and gay shipping is one of the big reasons she likes Devilman
>did get her into UC Gundam though

I respect Dir en grey, though. They used visual kei as a means to get famous then dropped the look to focus on music after they made a name for themselves. Their newest albums sound nothing like what you hear from other visual kei bands, if anything they alienated a lot of their old fans by playing more and more extreme metal styles. It saddens me that a lot of old fans won't listen to them because of their looks and a lot of people just won't give them a chance because they were a visual kei band and their scene is pure cancer, even though they have got skills and talent, and opted to sell their music with better records over looking glam.

You talking about those werewolves kids?

youtube.com/watch?v=Q77sJT8O56E