What caused the death of action cartoons?

What caused the death of action cartoons?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HMqZ2PPOLik
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Irresponsible bankers handing out loans to cartoon creators they knew they wouldn't be able to pay back. The bubble had to burst eventually.

The culture changed.

Cred Forums

Cred Forumsrra.

increasing costs and decreasing revenue

Honestly... how DO I shot web?

Korra

Adventure Time.

>The lolsorandumb genre is responsible for the death of action shows.

low test children

Aqua Team Hunter Force

Studios hate plot and demand everything be comedic because they think kids are even dumber than they actually are.

Cliches.

Character actions should drive the plot, not mindless action for its own sake.

The campaign for the feminization of little boys

So many future cucks and fags

The only reason people made those shows was to advertise toys. Nobody buys toys anymore when they have minecraft, so they have no reason to make those shows.

That said, I have hopes for the new justice league show.

If you wanted to make an action cartoon you had to restrain the level of violence to absurd levels, keeping the characters from killing even if they had weapons designed to do so (TMNT 2003, X-Men...) or just maintaining everything fixed on punching. And then punching became too much to appeal to children, and the general perception nowadays is that cartoons are mainly for kids, who "cannot handle any kind of violence". If you try to do something more violent you´re labeled as an adult cartoon, and "what adult would waste his time watching cartoons, amirite?" Teenagers also try to distance themselves from cartoons because they want to be seen as adults. I remember a period of time betwen being 13 and 15 when I thought cartoons were dumb, until I realized I wanted to watch whatever the goddammed hell I wanted.
So, with all these setbacks, creators just gave up and decided to make comedy, apparently childish shows and THEN add the action. As long as you said it was a comedy, it´d be okay. So, since then there haven´t been that many action focused cartoons.
At least, that's my take on it.

>action cartoons are dead
>action movies still doing great

youtube.com/watch?v=HMqZ2PPOLik

Post tfw they had guns in Generator Rex.

It's really not that complicated. Companies realized they could make just as much money by hiring cheaper workers and producing lesser quality content. These things go in cycles, don't worry. This is no different than the days of Hanna Barbera schlock. Right now we're on the very tip of starting the 80s again, with some decent action shows being produced but nothing of terribly high quality. In about ten years or so we'll be experiencing the 90s again, an explosion in creativity and experimentation.

The genre was already dead by then, AT just replaced them. The action cartoons around at the time were just dead men walking.

Kids are pretty stupid.

/thread, right here.

see
Children don't buy toys anymore, but manchildren do. Specially if it a toy from the latest action-packed capeshit movie, or something with zombies in it.

The Venture Bros release schedule

episodic comedies are cheaper to make and can be aired in pretty much any order

>we'll be experiencing the 90s again, an explosion in creativity and experimentation
Are you being ironic?

anime. networks realized that rather than pay for an action cartoon to be made, they can pay a pittance to snatch up the licensing rights to an action anime and two more pittance to get some hacks to dub it. this isn't a secret.

brilliant deduction considering one network airs anime and its on for 3.5 hours a week

>What caused the death of action cartoons?

Changing consumer tastes.

Traditional network shows thrive on toy sales and this generation of kids prefer shows that are light on plot and heavy on slapstick/humor. TTGO is the banner example. No views means no toys, which means no show.

Networks don't define what kids want - they pay statisticians to find that out and follow trends. They don't care how many women or adults of whatever demographics are also watching the show - only that not enough kids are watching and following through with merchandising.

However, the death of cable TV could shift things back, as things like Netflix original shows may not have the same strict goals as your typical network. Netflix may be more interested in Voltron getting any audience to keep their subscriptions up rather than meeting toy sales requirements. I dunno.

>What caused the death of good action in the western media
FTFY
>Shaky cam being used incorrectly in movie fight scenes
>Video games are basically movies that take away control from the player when ever a melee fight happens.

Thundercats and Korra was the one-two punch that destroyed the genre due to both being complete failures from a business perspective. TMNT is the only thing keeping it on life support, but the genre needs a massively successful action show in order for the suits to reconsider making them.

Thundercats and Korra failed in part due to the death of action cartoons. Not that they wouldn't have still sucked, but that they didn't get amy views because of the shit airtimes.