Are the Dark Horse Godzilla comics better than the new IDW ones?

Are the Dark Horse Godzilla comics better than the new IDW ones?

Inconsistent.
Absolutely better then Kingdom of Monsters.
That said Half Century War is one of the greatest Godzilla stories ever told in any medium so... no.

Not better but still good.

Then again IDW has had plenty of different writers and runs for Elvis,
So some aren't as good as Dark Horse run. And some are better.

What is the chronology of the films? I downloaded this giant Kaiju torrent and want to watch through everything Godzilla related.

Watch em in order of release.
1984 pretends none of the previous films happened but 1954.
1999/2000/2001/2002-03/2004 are all different continuities also.

The watching order is kind of insane. There's different eras for the Godzilla films but even inside the eras they have reboots within itself
There's the Shōwa era, the Heisei era, and the Millennium era. These are in order of release:

•Showa (The original OG films):
>Godzilla (Gojira), 1954 – Terror of Mechagodzilla (Mekagojira no Gyakushū), 1975
These films are the first of the Godzilla series. They become very child friendly as the films progress.

•Heisei (The best era imo)
>The Return of Godzilla (Gojira), 1984 – Godzilla vs Destoroyah (Gojira tai Desutoroia), 1995
This era is a darker reboot of the Godzilla films. These as some of the best movies however Toho kept making direct sequels to the original Godzilla film during this era that ignored previous films.

•Millennium (Anime Godzilla):
>Godzilla 2000 (Gojira Nisen: Mireniamu), 1999 – Godzilla: Final Wars (Gojira: Fainaru Wōzu), 2004
After the first American Godzilla happened back 1998, Toho decided to reboot the films again. These are a bit more anime like sometimes and they keep making direct sequels to the original that ignore the previous films in this era.

>This era is a darker reboot of the Godzilla films. These as some of the best movies however Toho kept making direct sequels to the original Godzilla film during this era that ignored previous films.
No they only ignored the Showa films, they didn't reboot within the Heisei era.

Toho wanted to make a modern reintroduction to Godzilla and bring him back to his roots for the 25th anniversary. I count that as a reboot of the entire Godzilla franchise since they only kept the original.

This is the best and most complete list:
SHOWA SERIES
Godzilla
Godzilla Raids Again
Half Human
Rodan
The Mysterians
Varan, the Unbelievable
The H-Man (optional)
Battle in Outer Space
Gorath (optional)
King Kong vs. Godzilla
Matango (optional)
Atragon
Matango (optional)
The Human Vapor (optional)
Mothra
Mothra vs. Godzilla
Dogora
Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster
Invasion of the Astro-Monster
Frankenstein Conquers the World
War of the Gargantuas
Ebirah, Horror of the Deep
King Kong Escapes
Son of Godzilla
Destroy All Monsters
All Monsters Attack
Latitude Zero (optional)
Space Amoeba
Godzilla vs. Hedorah
Godzilla vs. Gigan
Godzilla vs. Megalon
Godzilla vs. MechaGodzilla
Terror of MechaGodzilla
The War in Space
Zone Fighter (tv show)
HEISEI SERIES (Reboot that considers only 1954 godzilla canon)
Return of Godzilla
Godzilla vs. Biollante
Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah
Godzilla vs. Mothra
Godzilla vs. MechaGodzilla II
Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla
Godzilla vs. Destroyah
Yamato Takeru (completely unrelated, but watch anyway)
Rebirth of Mothra
Rebirth of Mothra II
Rebirth of Mothra III
MILLENNIUM SERIES (All of these exist in their own continuity except where noted)
Godzilla 2000: Millennium
Godzilla vs. Megaguirus
Godzilla, Mothra, and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack
Godzilla Against MechaGodzilla
Godzilla: Tokyo SOS (sequel to Against Mecha)
Godzilla: Final Wars (this movie considers every previous movie to be canon including american 1998, don't think about it too hard)
SHIN SERIES
Shin Godzilla
AMERICAN
Godzilla (1998)
Godzilla: The Series (cartoon sequel to 1998)
Godzilla (2014)

Watch them ALL in this order or else you're a pussy faggot. This is how I got into Godzilla.

>trips of truth

Whoops, remove one of those Matangos. Also as a bonus, you can add the ChouSeiShin series.
ChouSeiShin GranSazer
GenSeiShin Justiriser
ChouSeiKantai Sazer-X (gotengo appears in the movie)

This user gets it.
Except they forgot Shin. Like a kaiju casual.

You didn't look hard enough.

That is what I mean, after 1984 there wasn't a reboot until 2000.
1984-destroyah are in the same continuity.

Damn, thanks man

Don't thank me, thank my autism.

Oh noooooooo
I'M the kaiju casual!

yes

>Serizawa must kill himself so the Oxygen Destroyer doesn't fall into the wrong hands
This is brutal.

>the wrong hands
That's not entirely correct. "Wrong" hands would imply that there were right ones. He didn't want it to fall into any hands, not even his own.

Not true. He wanted to make sure his discovery could lead to something positive, rather than destructive (allegory for nukes and nuclear power). He did want to release his research, but he just didn't find a good use in time. At the same time he found the perfect use for it that would save lives and never become a weapon until the sequels

This greatly overcomplicates things and is missing a ton of stuff. Just use And after that watch Gamera:
SHOWA
Gamera (1965)
Gamera vs. Barugon (1966)
Gamera vs. Gyaos (1967)
Gamera vs. Viras (1968)
Gamera vs. Guiron (1969)
Gamera vs. Jiger (1970)
Gamera vs. Zigra (1971)

HEISEI (reboot)
Gamera: Guardian of the Universe (1995)
Gamera 2: Attack of Legion (1996)
Gamera 3: Revenge of Iris (1999)

MILLENNIUM (reboot)
Gamera the Brave (2006)

>he just didn't find a good use in time
That's what I meant. The only obvious use of the micro oxygen was to destroy things, which is why he didn't want to unveil its mechanisms, because he knew that in practice, its destructive capabilities would unavoidably overshadow its potential beneficial uses and escalate things further. He couldn't hand this kind of power to anyone.

Will the 2014 movie be put into its own series category once the second one comes out in 2019?
Looking forward to Mothra, Rodan, and Ghidora coming back.

Yeah probably Legendary Series or something.

>Shin Gojira vs. Legendary Godzilla never

Based on what I'm hearing about Shin Goji, it sounds like it'd be pretty one sided.