Meet The Winners Of The DC Comics Writers Talent Workshop Search

Surprised that no one's talking about this.

>Over 1500 writers entered.

>Only 8 were chosen, to take part in a 13 week DC Comics Writers Workshop course led by Scott Snyder.

(Pic Related in order of citation)

>They are Owl Goingback (Bram Stoker award winner for Crota, Sealed With A Kiss)

>Writing partners Erica Harrell and Desirée Proctor (writers of MTV’ Happyland and The Walking Dead: Michonne for Telltale Games)

>Al Letson (Planetfall, Imperfect, Peabody award winner for NPR’s State of the Re:Union)

>David Accampo (Lost Angels, Sparrow & Crowe)

>Aaron Gillespie (LadyDemon, Bionic Man)

>Ryan Lindsay (Ghost Town, Negative Space)

>Tony Patrick (X’ed, writer of short film Black Card).

>Congratulations all!

I still can't comprehend why there are people who think these kinds of talent workshops will entertain people who literally have no experience writing or has no previous accolades. Do they seriously think that DC's gonna seriously get a bunch of wannabe writers with huge ideas and zero experience other than their Fan Fiction as their next Tom King, James Tynion IV, Steve Orlando, and Tim Seeley?

Other urls found in this thread:

newsarama.com/30312-sdcc-2016-dc-meet-the-co-publishers-didio-lee-panel.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Owl_Goingback
youtube.com/watch?v=E-WHW-QNswE
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Well I was holding back on being upset until I learned whether or not they picked actual nobodies.

I guess I'm mad now.

Me on the top

More bald comic writers.

>Well I was holding back on being upset until I learned whether or not they picked actual nobodies.
I honestly thought this was going to be prioritizing unpublished creators.

What a laugh.

Wasn't aware of this but checked the site and it said for professional writers so why would they pick literal nobodies?

Liked their submission? Want to make them into somebodies and gain some company loyalty? I dunno man, shit.

>o they seriously think that DC's gonna seriously get a bunch of wannabe writers with huge ideas and zero experience other than their Fan Fiction as their next Tom King, James Tynion IV, Steve Orlando, and Tim Seeley?
all the "big guys" you can think about started like that.

I'm not sure they even went through all the submissions seeing as you have to provide both a resume and a previously published work. Something like that wouldn't matter if they wanted to give nobodies a chance.

Which makes one wonder what is the point of even making it a contest instead of just directly contacting those you think have promise.

Good to see Woolie expanding from doing Youtube videos

Easier for them to come to you to make sure they're interested I guess? Instead of contacting a whole bunch of people and going "Do you wanna write comics for DC".

Why the fuck would they actually pick actual nobodies? Do people seriously think winning the lottery is this easy?

And most of all, who would want to hire fan fiction writers that only read comic books and nothing else?

Op mentions Tim Seeley, Tim Seeley has been working in the industry for a very long time, just because you people have only heard about him recently doesn't mean he didn't work hard to build up his name to get to this stage.

Get off your ass and work, don't expect DC or any other major company to just desperately look for you and bring you in because, in your opinion, you're a pretty cool person.

They all started in small publishers, even Bendis did years of indie comics before getting work for DC and marvel, very few people go from unpublished to working unless nepotism is involved or if they're a celebrity in another field

Creates a sense of dependency in the writer for the company. Many of the current publishers are freaking out over the success and freedom of digital publishing + the Image method. Tey're starting to realize they're growing irrelevant to artists and writers.

Makes sense.

It was so easier in the past. Shooter was just a 16 year old who sent DC his pitches and got picked up as the writer on their biggest comics.

the internet was a mistake

Why would they have picked nobodies? Nothing about the prompt or contest indicated that they were going to pick nobodies.

Is this the same as Snyder's class?

It is pretty rough that if you want to write comics for DC you have to already be a successful TV, film, book or radio writer. That isn't a criticism of DC, although I do find it quite funny that Scott Snyder is going to be "teaching" these people.

And I think there's legitimate criticism of DC on the positive PR they got from this announcement as an "open call", but I also think it was really clear from the application process if you didn't have multiple serious writing credits there was little point in applying.

I mean, if it wasn't already obvious what DC was intending with this contest, I think they made their goals somewhat clear at SDCC.

newsarama.com/30312-sdcc-2016-dc-meet-the-co-publishers-didio-lee-panel.html
>A fan asked how do they get DC's attention with their ideas. Lee said that he sent numerous submissions and met numerous editors. "Things are different now - there's nobody holding you back from your own dream," saying that the fan could write and draw their own comic, printing your own comic at Kinko's or crowd-sourcing campaigns such as on Kickstarter. "The barrier has basically disappeared... the only thing holding you back is yourself."

>"The first thing you've got to do is write," DiDio said. "People tell us all the time, 'I've never written anything before, but I want to write Batman.' And I say 'great - so does everyone else...' DC is not your first stop. It's your last stop... the more you write, the better you get."

(which is a bit bullshit considering, at least, Bennett and the Benson sisters, who *literally* got their starts on DC projects).

But as it applied to their recent talent search, it's obvious what they meant: "we're looking for published, highly qualified people who 1) maybe aren't quite qualified enough in comics to work with us and 2) have a high interest in working with us and maybe *just* us (or simply not for Marvel)".

Yep. This is the "Writer's Talent Workshop Search" -- the search has been completed, so now the Workshop remains.

>A fan asked how do they get DC's attention with their ideas. Lee said that he sent numerous submissions and met numerous editors. "Things are different now - there's nobody holding you back from your own dream," saying that the fan could write and draw their own comic, printing your own comic at Kinko's or crowd-sourcing campaigns such as on Kickstarter. "The barrier has basically disappeared... the only thing holding you back is yourself."
Hmmm.

>led by Scott Snyder.

It's not bullshit because those people actually wrote something before. Didio is talking about the people that hang around cons, write fan fiction and want a golden ticket straight into DC/Marvel. Say what you will about he Benson sisters but The 100 was pretty successful.

If anything it was harder in the past, what the fuck are you talking about? Jim Shooter wasn't the norm

A lot of DCs current writers would not have gotten through this barrier.

They didn't have published scripts on the show by the time they were announced as writers for Birds of Prey.

And they were just *interns* on the show, who were given a chance to write a single episode (because, again, they've only written one episode so far for The 100 -- they're not veteran staff writers by any means).

So, pretty much literal-whos. (True, being able to finagle your way into a TV writing job is no small feat, but they were still at the beginning of their writing careers, pound for pound)

Weren't Bennett and Tynion in Snyder's pre-workshop writing class, and he approached them to write comics?

Maybe I'm totally wrong about that one.

Those people should have spend their time establishing successful entertainment careers in other industries and then hopping the tracks obviously :^)

Like who? Even Tynion knew Snyder from college so he had an easy way in despite not having been published before because Snyder knew how his writing was.

Yeah. I'm not 100% sure with Tynion, but I know Bennett was a literal student of Snyder in a college creative writing class; she got interested in working in the comic industry and Snyder thought she had some chops; so, he introduced her to some DC people and, I think, her first credit was on Batman Annual #2.

Why would you think that? It was pretty clear from the start that they wanted published writers, even if it was self published stuff

You didn't need to be a big name to be selected then.

The real advantage DC has over Marvel in terms of comics right now is that DC clearly has someone, or someones, upstairs with a clear plan and clear goals, and the plan builds to those goals. Marvel obviously does not.

I would suggest the situation is probably reversed when it comes to movies.

Actually, I applied and wrote my pitch and then thought my resume was lacking so I got on like 4 different comic projects back in June. 3 months later and they're almost done and I'm starting 3 more longer running series. So I guess the program was a success in inspiring nobodies?

What are you working on?

This pleases me to hear.

Where do you even go to get 'on' a comics project? I've only managed to put together my own projects with my own cash because the scene looks so dry for writers.

How do you manage to write 4 projects unless you're doing work for hire?

That's excellent and exactly the right attitude. But I want to know what you're working on too.

You'd think that "undiscovered talent" would refer to people who haven't been discovered. You knoe, like people who haven't made a name for themselves writing for NPR or popular video games.

That being said, if nobodies were DC's priority, they'd be smart to do something like an amateur work shop regularly. Get people who may have good ideas but aren't cultured or read enough or worldly or something and show them the basics and reinforce the need to develop background as well. This way, these fucking fanfiction serfs will actually try more than write "batman touches the throbbing member"

How much clearer could it be?

>That being said, if nobodies were DC's priority, they'd be smart to do something like an amateur work shop regularly
These happen at cons all the time.

>people responding to me on Cred Forums
Is this what being famous feels like?

Pardon the shilling but, I spent a few weeks after the submission deadline trundling around Cred Forums and saw the weekend threads for Premier Pulp. For the unengaged, it's a free online magazine that publishes comics quaterly. It was started here on Cred Forums and just came back recently.

Anyway, I joined their chat, and began writing a story with my friend doing art. Then I got bored waiting for her to finish and asked another friend to do a story. A few late nights with some other anons turned into two more projects.

As for my new projects, a few of my friends have longer webcomic series ideas that they could draw but didn't know how to write so I volunteered. Another girl I knew from High School is starting her magazine and I just offered my services and she told me I could have at least 2 long running series in it.

It's not much and there's no money involved but, it's a start for where I want to go. Honestly, the hardest part is asking people if you can join them

Better than sitting on your ass an hoping you get handed a job simply because you're asking.

>You'd think that "undiscovered talent" would refer to people who haven't been discovered.
Undiscovered has always generally meant lesser known creators when it's used in that context, people always say shit like unknown talent or works on here all the time when they are referring to indie or obscure shit, it's a very common phrase.

its amazing what 5 (You)'s can do to a man

Good luck with your comics user.
Would be great to see stuff come out of this workshop unrelated to the winners.

Oh I guess I didn't answer your question, these first 4 were all one shot short stories. I spent all my free time on them and barely went out.

>Owl Goingback

Da fuck

Thanks for sharing user.

Yeah I think I'm going to go rob a bank now and ask out random grills with all the courage these (you)'s provided

no whaaaat, didn't you see CB Cebulski going to that con in the Philippines and thanking everyone on how many portfolios and submissions he got?/s

>grills
faggot

He's the first guy in the OP Pic, he must be a pretty cool dude, he's also one of the least popular from all of them judging from his number of followers though

its like he doesnt even WANT to write for marvel

See, you knew people already and you just needed a kick in the butt. It's hard to find someone that cab draw and is willing to illustrate your writing for free.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Owl_Goingback

Yes, because it's unreasonable to expect that. There are still a few anthologies and contests around that will take writer-only submissions, but you might just have to knuckle up and pay a guy user.

And it's all been down hill from there.

Thanks for being interested in my story. It means a lot to be a part of this community and not be shunned.

All emotional faggotry aside though, check out the premier pulp threads. I'll see if i can gey one put up this Saturday

If I had money I'd just buy more comics lel.

He's pretty old too then

You're right but, 2 of my first 4 are new partnerships with people I've never met in real life. The other stuff was some people that I knew but haven't spoken to since like 5 years ago.

I do agree that it's not easy finding artists though. I had to pay a friend of a friend to draw one page for me for my DC pitch. I can post it if you guys want to laugh at me.

Go ahead.

I'd had mixed opinions on Bennett for a really long time because she aims high but her writing always comes across as in love with itself or badly in need of an editing. Angela was a messy as hell book. Insexts is firmly engaged in patting itself on the back for pretty stock shock.

So I always look at a Bennett project and usually I look away again. But Animosity, while having a lot of Bennett hallmarks, is actually pretty good so far.

Yeah, that's one thing I appreciate. People are actually wailing about diversity in this talent workshop but I always like seeing something that doesn't concentrate solely on the old or young.

OK but be gentle.

This was a one page excerpt from the narrative that I wrote as a pitch. I had never actually written a comic before and this was my first attempt. I put it up on my tumblr

>I still can't comprehend why there are people who think these kinds of talent workshops will entertain people who literally have no experience writing or has no previous accolades.

Other writing contests do that, even Nickelodeon. The whole point is to train people into getting in the industry.

>Owl Goingback
MMORPG name generators were a mistake.

>First pic
How can one man have so much class?

Urge to edit rising... That's a cool idea though.

It's not too bad, but the layout of the text boxes isn't intuitive. I had to check myself a couple times to make sure I was following them in sequence.

>you will never be a legit old shaman who writes himself as a writer into the universe and bones his much-younger ghost wife all day
>you will never be owl goingback

I can only imagine. I had no editor for the actual comic portion. I literally just took the dialogue word for word from my narrative. In paragraph form its a bit better.

It's funny that you mention it because the sequence was originally going to be a page that could be read in any order but I wasn't intelligent enough to do it.

funny enough, that was his entire pitch to DC

they hired him on the spot

>but I wasn't intelligent enough to do it.
Even if you were it probably wouldn't be worth doing. Strong story telling is more impressive than literary masturbation.

Just like 12 copies of this picture in an envelope.

It's one of the things I learned this summer. I'm just a huge Morrison fag so this is where I started.

Also oh my god I love him

G R A N D P A F U

>there will never be a comic about the adventures of Taekwondo Master Bob Battle and his apprentice Owl Goingback

Is he a legit Injun?

is it safe to agree that Owl Goingback is, dare I say it, "our guy"?

It's like tweets from your dad.

He appears to be??

I'll be honest, it's terrible.

Paratrooper, nice.

I am officially declaring him "my guy" anyway.

What does Owl Goingblack write and is there a better image of him from OP to see his shelves?

Super-Chief?

Ryan Lindsay is an okay dude. A bit pretentious, but all writers are, even the ones that try to play themselves off as goofy clowns.

It just takes a certain amount of ego to be a writer to begin with.

I'm not going to disagree with you.

What's wrong with it?

This dude is pretty fucking cool

I can't believe I've seen the Twitter types griping about how DC didn't accept any webcomic writers, but neglected to notice that they accepted two women, two black guys, and this rad native American dude

>ESPECIALLY the ones that try to play themselves off as goofy clowns.

Point.

A little too much telling instead of showing
Really bad layouts
Bad dialogue which is a pet peeve of mine, most mainstream comic book writers fail to give a character a distinctive voice and has everyone speaking the same.

But really, you have to make up something in one page? Don't split it up in 4 panels and fill it up with dialogue.

>They all started in small publishers

No, someone started writing for the League of SH as a teen by sending his fanfic via mail. And that's one example.

Shut the fuck up they should totally have hired me instead.

Thanks man. I can definitely see what you mean because shit, I put whole paragraphs in boxes.

Regarding the showing/telling, I mentioned this in a previous post but it's a direct copy and pasteof the text from a paragraph from the story I wrote.

But webcomics are teh future!!!

Hey, if fucking 50 shades of grey can make it big, so can we

If it helps I've been rereading some of my own stuff and cringing at it.

Wow, I know a fairly successful writer who applied and didn't make it. Makes me feel a bit better that I didn't get in either, to be honest.

As someone who has been published (and didn't get in), props to you. This is exactly what an aspiring writer should do. Getting good writing gigs is incredibly hard, but learning to work with other people and showing initiative is always the way to go.

Let's be honest, you aren't half as cool as Owl Goingback.

Some times I think about putting together a Cred Forums writers circle, but it would probably fall apart from bickering.

No one is.

I hope Owl Goingback is a good writer, I couldn't bear the disappointment if he's not

I know, right? Then again I can just pretend he's a good writer because I like him as a person like people are doing with Spencer.

Spencer is an asshole though. He just happiness to write decent comedy and be partnered with living god Steve Lieber.

Is the fourth guy Ben Kingsley?

He's a console wars fag so I imagine console warriors on the side if marvel like him for that. And he puts memes in his comics and some love that.

This is now my deepest fear.

I know right?

Thanks man. I'm not giving up anytime soon. This rejection actually fueled me up and I'm gonna get to the goddamned top.

I'll see you there, pal B^)

See you at the top, champ.

youtube.com/watch?v=E-WHW-QNswE

>Tim Seeley
It's amazing that Seeley has been writing for almost 13 years now. Newfags have only heard of him since Grayson.

The only way DC would hire someone without writing experience is if they are a celebrity or if they have connections within DC.

>Spencer
>good person
he is about as "good" as Waid

he was in the army.
Historically, military guys make good comic writers.

I didn't say he's a good person I said he's a shitty writer with fans that pretend he is good.

Both black guys seem to be BLM types based on their twitter output, but I won't worry about that, I'll wait to see their writing chops.

That chick on the left is lewd lifting her legs up like that to show her bulge. Would bang.

so long as they don't inject politics into it i really couldn't give a fuck. I haven't seen anyone who uses twitter write anything good on it.

>I still can't comprehend why there are people who think these kinds of talent workshops will entertain people who literally have no experience writing or has no previous accolades
were there seriously people who thought this?

like getting rejected sucks but come on

>only one woman

There's two

Anyway black guys and Owl Goingback are more diverse than generic white girls

yeah but theyre writing partners, so they may as well be one woman.
I'd have preferred more non-whites in general.
in fact, get right of the white guys and replace them with non-white women.

>I'd have preferred more non-whites in general
Too bad :)

madman

It's only diversity if they're diversifying by hiring me, of course

This thread is Owl Goingback to page 1

This, curious about his entry, desu.

I wouldn't dream of claiming I am, user.

QUICK Cred Forums
post your face when Owl Goingback isn't a good writer

>Do they seriously think that DC's gonna seriously get a bunch of wannabe writers with huge ideas and zero experience other than their Fan Fiction as their next Tom King, James Tynion IV, Steve Orlando, and Tim Seeley?

Considering how Jim Shooter happened, yes.

Jim Shooter happened decades ago and no one has been hired like that since the 80s.

What changed? The law, the amount of people reading/applying? There is no way Marvel/DC would even read fanfic from a 15 year old.

*would read an unsolicited fanfic/suggestions from a 15 year old, today.

>DC puts out a comic encouraging webcomic authors to participate.
>All the winners are professional TV and film writers

Well, HELL

Who the fuck said that's what they were doing?

>8 people are picked out of 1500+ submissions
Clearly they are just biased against webcomic people

Webcomic people.

webcomic people don't know how to read and have an inflated sense of self

As companies grow older they become less risk averse. Why take a chance on some nobody who wrote a decent fan-fic when you can hire someone with professional credentials? Exceptions of course for friends/family of people already in the industry.

I like this guy.

Lawyers realized that you could sue/get sued over unsolicited material that bears similarity to material that actually later sees print.

Mort Weisinger stopped being in charge and his successors were much less willing to bully teenagers into working with unreasonable deadlines.

People stopped hiring teens for that kind of stuff in general in the 50s.

>Some times I think about putting together a Cred Forums writers circle
Do it.

You got a skype? Any mother fucking writers here who have a skype, post it.