How strong should "peak human" heroes be?

How powerful do you want people who nominally have no powers?
should they be able to catch bullets, break guns with their bear hands, tear apart handcuffs?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=uDQUlshxO_8
youtube.com/watch?v=sMesFBb7Rbk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>catching bullets
No, even when Ozymandias did it, it was fucking stupid.
>breaking guns
bending barrels or damaging them so they misfire? sure. outright snapping metal? nah.
>breaking handcuffs
Maybe.

This peak human "anything" was a mistake

the black wind broke the door

Watch the Olympics. That's the limit.

This guy has the right idea, and to give it the proper hero field, let them be champion of all disciplines at once.

Keep in mind that the actual deadlift world record is 500kg, half a ton.

>catch bullet
Nah that's superhuman
>break guns
Like taking them apart piece by piece?
>tear apart handcuffs
Definitely.

Unless they have been enhanced in some way, they should be worse than a top athlete at whatever said athlete is specialized in. They should not be able to outperform a strongman or olympic weightlifter of the same weight class at feats of strength, nor run faster than a sprinter, etc. but they should be close. This should be paired with fast reflexes and quick thinking such that the sum of the already formidable parts becomes even greater.

having the universe starts bending over backwards to make your character win defeats the point of making your character a 'normal' guy

captain america and batman are bullshit

hawkeye is a normal done right because sometimes not having powers means you get zapped and that's that

Well, the problem with that is that's peak human in real life. As in, someone in peak general condition. Not really being the peak of human bodies regular possibilites. Not a peak "human", only a peak guy

catching arrows? dodging bullets?

As strong as Master Roshi.

but Hawkeye does ridiculous shit all the time?

Cap being borderline superhuman/actually superhuman is fine due to magic serum.
It's pretty dang flexible

>No, even when Ozymandias did it, it was fucking stupid.
I can buy it for Ozy.
He didn't "catch" the bullet as put his hand in the way of it when she shot it at him.
A man could react to all the cues of an imminent firing and quickly move into position.

Combine that with him being surprised himself, it makes for it to be at the limit of believability.

Cap dodging actual bullets though, that's too much.

i was talking about the other one

Clint Barton? Guy pushed the front of a car 6 feet off the ground with one hand

Stronger than humanly possible is fine, but I don't care for plot armor bullshit. Like, Batman without armor shouldn't be able to fight somebody like Superman or Darkseid and live

Page?

Seven+ guys have the drops on Bats and not one pulls the trigger as he leaps theatrically toward them, a fat ripe target for bullets. That's some sweet plot armor.

That's Olympic tier you dumb ass, one tier under peak, peak humans like Tarzan, Conan, batman, doc Savage, cap without extra power ups, should all be faster than any runner, and twice to three. Times stronger than the strongest human of our earth. The peak agility for tchalla should be higher that Steve's, the speed of Cass higher than Bruce's, peak should be both above anything of our earth, and be unique to the character own potential. Daredevil, Hawkeye, bucky, and Dick should be Olympic tier only

Ordinary people can and have dodged bullets. The key is to not be in front of the barrel when they're coming out.

I think of "Peak Humans" as inexplicably gold medalists at all Olympic events. Maybe record breakers by a significant margin.

no

why are you making things so hard

That's not dodging bullets.
That's not being in front of a gun.

By that logic, I'm dodging bullets all the time

Ozy isn't peak human. He is slightly beyond that due to genetic engineering.

I don't recall that in Watchmen

What you described is superhuman, which "peak human" has sadly become a euphemism for.

Don't be an asshole about this.
You know what they meant.
It's easy to move away from where you see someone aiming their gun.

I'm just saying that "dodging bullets" means a little different than jumping out of the way of a raised gun.

For the record, Cap has dodged bullets in flight.

When it comes to speed, a peak human should run as fast as Usain Bolt (something tells me he's faster than he lets on, he actually slowed down before speeding up again and winning recently) but run as long as that Native Mexican tribe or the Khoisan, running for hours for multiple miles on end.

Agree?

Well, yeah. That's the thing, the humans in their universe are not the same as the humans in ours, remember, aliens experimented in them, many carry the metahuman gene, or weird improved stuff, their martial arts can split mountains, etc. Peak Humans are by all logic except in universe low tier Superhumans. Sure they need to have limits, but those limits don't need to be ours

All of them had done it, even Conan. I say that's the min requirement to be a peak Human

Now that's some beyond-peak-human ability there.

The barrel of a gun is ridiculously hard to bend. The army uses their m4s to pry shit all the time, and you can get a good bit more leverage on a rifle than on a handgun. I mean they're not supposed to but they do it.

Olympians are literally peak humans. They are our best. We don't get better than that.

you know, if other things were different, I would buy that. but as is? the universe is clearly designed to always be the same as ours

ok so hawkeye should logically be 20 different kinds of dead unless super suit shenanigans.

But TIPPING (as opposed to lifting) a car like that is well within the definition of peak human. Especially since it looks like the engine fell out mid flight.

>the universe is clearly designed to always be the same as ours
Nigga what?

>But TIPPING (as opposed to lifting) a car like that is well within the definition of peak huma
no its fucking not

Lifting up the side of a 1.5 ton car? yes it is. I know people who can do it. Certainly not as casually as Hawkeye does in that page, but they can definitely do it.

cape comics are slice of life+capes. everything else is the same. wars are not changed by all the government supersoldiers, robots, hellicarriers, etc.
Firefighters dont use freeze-rays
The existence of aliens not only doesn't make pop culture any different, but isn't even acknowledged by most people as anything besides a hoax
same thing for gods and demons and magic
All the easily designed AIs have never lead to anything attempt to market them
The world is threatened 28 times a year and every time everyone freaks out like it had never been threatened before
Comic universes are designed to be like our universe

Yeah that's superhuman at least in that position, that's something Steve can't do in his normal self. The position is retarded. Now if the motor isn't there? Sure, that is something Matt or nightwing could do and a peak human could do easily.

>I know people who can do i
I bet you also know people who dress as unicorns and fight crime at night

Everything you say shows their universe is not like ours. Their humans are not like us, deal with it. Looney toons humans and anime humans are also different than us

The amount of force required to do that is much less than you'd think. I don't feel like diagramming it out, but it'd be less than 500 lbs.

Just regular old humans can be pretty impressive:

youtube.com/watch?v=uDQUlshxO_8

>Everything you say shows their universe is not like our
But it is EACTLY like ours, with some background noise as well. its designed to mimmick ours in every way, despite the alleged differences.
>Their humans are not like us, deal with it.
Stating something as fact does not make it a less retarded way to write a story. self-consistency is important.
>Looney toons humans and anime humans are also different than us
Their not designed to be like us

Yeah. I don't recall that either. Maybe it was something they established in Before Watchmen?

show me a human doing something like that

youtube.com/watch?v=sMesFBb7Rbk

>Uses both arms
>rests it directly on his back
>It doesn't go above his head

Peak human is fucking retarded since it implies the best in everything within human limits.

You cant be the fastest runner while being the best weightlifter too

It would probably depend on the model. AR's probably arent going anywhere even with Brock Lesnar going to town on it, but some shitty offbrand made in Kenya or some shit might bend a little.

There's metagenes in our humans? The mutant gene is in our gene pool? Did the celestial experimented on us? Did the godwave happened in our universe? They are not like us and every peak human could break every world record on atheism in our world. You are just autistic.

Flying it's retarded too.

It's also being supported from above him which makes it quite a lot heavier than if he were lifting it from the ground.

It also doesn't take into account that "peak human" doesn't mean anything because there's no upper defined limit for what breaks into superhuman territory. A 4'2'' adult female in good health with the same strenuous training and dieting routine as a 6'3'' adult male in good health will have a drastically reduced performance cap.

The term is just bullshit for writers to use to justify non-metas to pull off superhuman feats so they won't look useless in contrast to superpowered characters.

>They are not like us and every peak human could break every world record on atheism in our world.
what exactly are the atheism world records?
also, no, your the autistic one. a normal person looks at a story and says "That doesn't really jive with the narrative, sort of makes things a bit convoluted
an autist (YOU) looks at it and says "The narrative doesn't matter, 6 f the 20,000 issues mention something that could be generously interpreted as an explanation.
You see, you are viewing comic canon as some imalleable fact, when in fact it is often retconned and most writers almost definitely don't remember any of what your saying. What I'm saying is that the world is made to look like ours, so generally speaking things should be the same unless some speculative fiction element is specifically happening to change them.
You don;t seem to understand comics could conceivably be written a different way

well, mostly its t satisfy artists who really like to draw people breaking chains, or plotlines that need to be solved quickly

>with their bear hands
>bear hands

Sure, and that's why peak Humans are fictional, they are a concept that goes back to charactera like Tarzan and specially doc Savage the original superman. Why Otaku fans can accept the power level of their humans is bulls hit but comic fans want ducking Steve Roger's to be slower than bolt?

nice digits

I mean, it goes back to like, Enkidu from Gilgamesh really

I see comics as what they are, fictional world's with fictional humans that are not bonded by our limits.

Basically, it's a device to justify weak writing because "oh shit, uh, he trained hard enough to jump 30 feet above the electrified alligator acid pit!"

The fuck does otaku anything have to do with this peak human nonsense?

The demigod-like being created by gods to fight a demigod-like being? The two guys that are blatantly superhuman in everything? What does this have to do with characters that are supposedly within human limits?

but that doesn't mean verisimilitude goes in the trash, you fucking mongoloid.

he's saying anime fans are SO much more mature and intelligent because they can accept bullshit and act like it doesn't make the story inherently stupider

since when is Enkidu a demigod or superhuman? he was literally just some hippie living in the woods

I'm saying they don't try to apply logic to illogical stuff. Comic humans are not real humans. Their science is not our science, their world has gods flying around, and radiation gives you powers. They are not real. And their limits are beyond anything we can achieve.

He was a hippie that could keep up with Gilgamesh aka an actual demigod by 2/3.

>since when is Enkidu a demigod or superhuman? he was literally just some hippie living in the woods

... created by the gods to be a direct competitor to Gilgamesh, a demigod.

It's generally more of an issue with the term itself, which has basically become synonymous with "they don't have powers, I mean they do, but seriously, they don't have powers, just fit humans... fuck it, here's Captain America zipping around a hail of bullets and Batman punching a car in half".

that was clearly set up as a joke tho

this sin;t goddamned Looney Tunes, the world should not break simply to allow comedy

This post is astoundingly stupid.

as our comic fans. If youw nat to right a self-consitent work, just make sure the main audience is autistic children, then, as they grow up, they;ll fill in all the gaps themselves and rage at anyone who hasn't done the same.

Before watchmen doesn't count retard

He looks bigger than a human compared to the car. Maybe he was using his Goliath powers?

no bullets