In the honor of el Santo's birthday, let's talk about a real life superhero and post anything Santo or luchador related

In the honor of el Santo's birthday, let's talk about a real life superhero and post anything Santo or luchador related.

youtube.com/watch?v=eoIJ043HOy0

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3_Dev_Adam
rafaelgallur.deviantart.com/
youtu.be/_VuQoxK4qMk
youtube.com/watch?v=AFpxHlcqCAI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Why is Lucha Libre such a big thing with mexicans anyway?

Mexico is probably the last place where they still think Wrestling is real

Lucha Libre is totally different to American Wrestling as its much faster paced and OTT

Isn't Lucha Libre actually real?

Happy birthday Santo.

Because Mexican wrestlers aren't just athletes. They protect the population from supernatural threats.

lucha rings are fucking murder. it's like they just rolled a canvas over concrete or something.

Well it's Mexico, what are you gonna' do.

That's because luchadors can protect kayfabe harder. I can look up WWE's newest recruit and learn everything about him down to what video games he likes.

But when it comes to masked Mexican wrestlers wikipedia pretty much always says "his real name is not a matter of public record, so we don't know much about his RL."

Yes, especially Lucha Underground.

Luchadores were not only wrestlers but also the heroes of movies and comics in Mexico
Also, lucha libre is considered somewhat part of the culture
And yes, lucha libre is mor real than the american counterpart

Happy birthday Santo

Happy Birthday Santo!

I can't speak for everyone but I think for the older audiences we know its just a show. The stunts are real and sums up why. Also theres always a old lady that argues with the villain or heel of the match.

I remember as a kid I saw how the luchadors' lockers had a drain in the floor so all the blood could be washed away.

Bump

>u will never see a captain america, santo and kamen rider team up

Well clearly you need to go request that over in the drawthread

Santo and Cap already teamed up to battle the evil Spider-man in a Turkish movie.

¡Feliz cumple Santo!

I recommend googling Rafael Gallur's work for some epic luchador art like pic related.

>evil spiderman

what

The movie is called 3 Dev Adam (3 Giant Men) and it was Turkish movie filmed without the consent of Marvel or the real Santo. Here's what the wiki page says about Spiderman. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3_Dev_Adam

>He is also depicted as a villain, with none of his abilities from the comics. His only unusual ability shown is the apparent power to come back unharmed from death multiple times and use of a switchblade and a gun and guinea pigs as a form of weaponry.

Another great piece by Gallur

>No one has ever story-timed this arc of Sonic X
I'm not even a fan of Sonic, but this looks damned entertaining.

Makes me sad.

How am I only just hearing about this guy?

>Santo was already big in Turkey than US in 60's
60's-70's Turkish fantastic cinema is a goldmine. You could never fucking guess what they manage to film.

There's a lot of luchadors that would appear in el Santo's movies and would then go on to star in there own comics and movies. Blue Demon and Mil Mascaras are prime examples, pic related are known as the Big Three.

Blue Demon started off as a villain and formed a tag team with Black Shadow before turning into one of the good guys thanks due to el Santo defeating Black Shadow in the ring. Blue Demon would then become el Santo's best friend and chief rival, appearing in Santo's movies (sometimes being brainwashed to fight Santo) and eventually his own films. Blue Demon was also the only one to have ever defeated el Santo. Blue Demon was pretty much the Batman to el Santo's Superman.

Mil Mascaras is another popular luchador his name means thousand masks since he always has a different mask on. His contribution to lucha libre is legendary, he was even a cultural ambassador for Mexico according to his wiki. He was popular and had a bunch of comics and movies. In the comics he was a Doc Savage- type science hero. In real life he was trained in several martial arts and wrestled in Japan for a while.

I've known about Santo for years. I meant this Gallur guy.

woah, it seem that the Lucha Libre cinema was the frist Cinematic Universe

Happy birthday

Lucha is some of the only wrestling I still watch. I try to watch CMLL's Arena Mexico shows they upload to youtube and their big events when I can plus I'll watch AAA's weekly TV and Lucha Underground.

Also respect to El Santo. I saw that his grandson is getting into wrestling. He did not look good from what I've seen but at least the legacy is alive.

>hey still think Wrestling is real
Actually user some places in Mexico there real lucha libre and they guys are metal as fuck real chairs in the head, blood, broken bones

Happy bday Santo!

Except in Mexico legitimate wrestling is a thing. That's why you never see a Luchador do a flip or a piledriver or some dumb shit. It's all about grapples and holds. Actual wrestling as a sport.

QUE ES ESTO UNA IMAGEN PARA LAS HORMIGAS?

Fun fact, the reason the little luchadores action figures every mexican kid had growing up, looked like pic related is because this picture

The man is one of the few great pulp artists left on Mexico

rafaelgallur.deviantart.com/

tinieblas has my favorite mask of all time

god tier taste

¡Hermanos enmascarados!
I want one of his masks so bad. I have a Santo Mask, but it still calls to me.

>mfw someone else is honoring today
Not a single person I know even knows who El Santo is. Feels bad, man.

>Not a single person I know even knows who El Santo is
what??? where do you live?

tipo es lo que está pasando en este hilo?

California. Not a single person understood why I was so pumped all day. Explaining did nothing. My masks did even less

where in California?

Luchadores are working-class heros that the same can bleed like motherfuckers or go to hospitals to cheer the kids.
Most of them come from big familys of only lucha related people.
The fact that lucha is more in the sport side than wrestling is another point.
A lot of people say, "You cant meet Superman, but you can meet el Santo".

. . .Central Valley

>Not a single person I know even knows who El Santo is
They're probably fans of Samson.
youtu.be/_VuQoxK4qMk

This guy is great. Thanks for pointing him out!

Nice

I think I see the beginnings of my next D&D campaign here

>this awful redesign
disgusting, i remember the santo comics reboot in the early 00s at least remained faithful to the classic look of the character, this is like mixing it with spawn and saint seiya

anybody remember the animated short cartoon network series el santo vs los clones? youtube.com/watch?v=AFpxHlcqCAI

I have this book about Lucha Libre. It's in French because it's published by Ankama but it doesn't have many texts in fact and it's really cool if you like Lucha Libre universe like me.