GL Film Retrospect

All the arguing over whether BvS is going to be considered a classic later made me wonder what everyone things of Green Lantern now.

I can definitely see how they were aiming for 'the star wars of our generation'.

What did you all think the last time you watched it?

I'm a few minutes in and it seems okay so far.

The shit with them as kids is hilarious.

This is origin overboard.

It's very shallow.
But it's fairly entertaining.

That's from a BvS lover, take it with a grain of salt if you want.

Sinestro was good.

Peter Sarsgaard was literally in an entirely different movie. He has no relation to the plot or characters for something like 85% of his screentime, it was just watching his mini-remake of The Fly go on while the rest of the movie happened.

Martin Campbell was maybe the worst choice possible for director. He';s one of the best genre craftsman working today because he's 10/10 with practical, brutal stunt-work. It's what made his Bond and Zorro films so good. The ONE THING HE IS BAD AT IS CGI, AND YOU GAVE HIM A MOVIE THAT'S ALL CGI.

Parallax looked like a gigantic shit monster.

How do you mean shallow? I'm only 13 min in so I wouldn't be able to tell yet.

Yeah, Parallax's head is really non-threatening unless you were molested by your grandfather.

I remember liking Hector's scenes before...that may have been because they were disconnected from the rest.

Thanks for the tip about Campbell, I'll watch for it.

>I remember liking Hector's scenes before...that may have been because they were disconnected from the rest.

Because Peter Sarsgaard is a great actor and even this garbage pile can't erase that. And I would probably watch an actual Fly remake starring Peter Sarsgaard, I just don't know why its in the middle of my Green Lantern movie.

At some point in the process of the movie they forgot the "lovable" part of "lovable rogue" so Hal just kind of comes off as a spoiled and whiny asshole who never really matures out of it.

The fact that the first time we really see him make a construct is "beat up the guys I got fired earlier today because I was dicking around" wasn't a good way to sell the audience on the character.

The fact that Sarsgaard was a better actor and his character just wanted to be a scientist and get his daddy to love him made him way to unintentionally sympathetic, especially compared to Hal.

>yo dog, we heard you like movies... etc etc

At least some of the jokes land
>watch your back

>that's impossible

meant for

I'm seeing it. He acts like his bro is a dick for caring about is recklessness. That's the least bro thing you can do to the most bro thing.

Hal reminds me of Kale (sp?) from Titan AE. One big father sized chip on his shoulder.

kek, it's okay senpai-chan.

>beat up the guys I got fired earlier today because I was dicking around" wasn't a good way to sell the audience on the character.

This too. Hal comes off as a whiny cunt who beats up nerds, never actually wants to put on the ring and refuses to take responsibility for his actions.

Our hero, folks. I sure loving watching superhero movies where the main characters are doing their best to not actually be in the film I'm watching.

I wonder if that's supposed to be part of some emotional growth thing.

>the main characters are doing their best to not actually be in the film I'm watching.
Like a Hulk film, gotcha

They are really dragging out the origin story. 30 min in and he finally gets the ring. I am glad we've evolved past this 10 years on.

Also, when do I get high in this nonsense?

I assume when Hal gets to OA

Yeah. It stys entertainng enough from the non.

Hector is just chilling when the film buzzes him, much to his obvious annoyance. 'Fine', he sighs, 'I will join the plot ...'

not that user, but it doesnt try to be anything more than the story its telling. There are no lessons or ideas behind it.

Pokemon Sapphire
NFL Blitz '99
Pocket Fighter

Okay, thanks.

It seems like his recklessness is going to be an asset to him saving the world so I think my theory about any growth is bumpk too.

45 min in an hal is just picking on people. That's pretty unlikable.

At least the aliens will have a reason to dislike him in this. Could be some good banter in there if played well.

Holyshit that mask.

>Holyshit that mask.

Again, Martin Campbell is terrible with CGI. It was shit in Vertical Limit, ti was shit in the Zorro sequel and it's shit here.

He deserved a nice, gritty Batman or Wonder Woman movie, not this bullshit.

It ended up being too bland and generic, and that's from someone who likes most of the MCU.
They really should've just stuck to their guns and make more of these though. It wasn't unsalvageable as a franchise.

MoS was a WAY better movie and starting point.

But now we'll never have GL movies, ever again.

I am just so surprised. Usually the cg pros make everything look to a certain standard...but I am probably just forgetting how old the film is.

I looked up vertical limit and I found the Margot Robbie of 2000

I definitely thought they should have at the time as well.

Between the overtly Jersey Shore Hal and the 51 min till we get to space mark, this film is definitely some weak sauce.

Poor Reynolds. He's making faces but he's got nothing to react against in the cg heavy scenes. The director could have at least shown him some cardboard cut outs.

He definitely doesn't look like a guy surrounded by aliens.

We just need to weather a few more Snyder movies and hopefully they'll start on one.

>weather
You mean savor.

No, nobody means that

I mean that.

The CG just isn't their for the suits. They all look like painted green displacement maps of various textures.

I mean I'm going to lament BvS until promo images start leaking for Justice League and then squeal like a schoolgirl.

I can't tell if I'm overly optimistic or a glutton for punishment.

As in Snyder's ballsack?

every science fantasy of the last 40 years has been aiming for 'the star wars of our generation'

you know what's actually made it? star wars

Sinestro talking to the Guardians and Kilowog beating up Hal are perfect. This movie really did warrant a sequel.

Hector and Tim Robbins really do feel like they are in an entirely different movie. Good call, user.

Wrong thread, here you can only talk about Martin Campbell's ballsack.

>BvS
>Classic
It will always be remembered only for MARTHA and being responsible for tonns of unfunny jokes.

no, the CGI was just bad

they spent a lot and there was no money to make it any better because they'd already hit the limit everywhere

you have no idea how acting works

>guys there's a plane flying low over the city in this scene, obviously it would cost several thousand to have it fly through a shot even if we could get the permits to do that all day so we'll just do some wide shots when we've got everything else

>but I have to react to that plane in the whole scene

>well then imagine it with your pretty little brain, dickhead

ACTING

It's always struck me as funny. The next Star Wars wouldn't resemble Star Wars at all.

Not a great movie, but not shit either. The first half is really good and captures Hal's character pretty well. Sinestro is also GOAT.

But after he's trained the movie completely shits the bed. Too much Earth, too little Oa and cosmic shit.
Also there are weird scenes that show the movie was copied and pasted from very different scripts.

>Hal returns to Oa to beg the Guardian for help
>the Guardians are assholes as usual
>"At least let me get back to Earth to help my people!"
What's stopping you exactly, Hal? It's as if that scene was from a much better movie where Hal was kept on Oa all the time.

Yeah, this Carol shit is really dragging down the overall plot.

I'll keep an ear open for the dialog discrepancies.

What I was getting at about the cgi costumes was that I don't think the tech existed back then to make them convincing. Did they have displacement or normal maps back then? What were the muscle drivers like on all those fake muscles? Were the actors mocapped onto muscled rigs?

As for the acting, they still need direction. They need to know what they're reacting to and where. The more the director can inform the actors imagination the better the performance will be, the better the movie will be. Film making is first and foremost a collaborative process.

When Hal is first in the room with the other Guardians he doesn't scan across the different levels of wondrous aliens like one would in real life because he didn't know where they would be exactly.

You sound kind of angry. Chill out, user.

This movie made me realise how behind we are when to comes to space technology
We have nothing to show for
No elaborate space station with cool infrastructure.

That's why this movie felt so out of place

Everything on Oa is the best part of the movie. I dont think there will be a better Sinestro than Mark Strong, I also feel Tomar-Re and Kilowog looked great and had great actors chosen for their voice. While its far from perfect, I think it got a lot more right about accuracy and character tone then recent DCU>

>That perfect Hammond takedown

Oh fuck yes.

>Immediately followed by Parallax entrance.

Fuck.

I bought it for $5. After he goes to Pay, everything on Earth is boring and pointless. Why all the Hector Hammond shit? Why the Carol shit? It's just dumb. Plus the GL suits only look just OK from a distance. And wtf with Hal's eyes?

Do you mean like a large and populated space station?

Agreed. When Sinestro talks about the corp it's perfect.

When they give Sinestro the ring it sent chills down my spine.

Other than the CGI I think this film holds up pretty well. A cool directors cut with a vfx upgrade a la Star Trek TOS and it would be great.

I thought it wasn't as shit as everyone said it was. About the same quality of the Thor films. So still shit but not the worst thing IO ever saw.

I think Mark Strong should come back as Sinestro for GLC. It wont confuse anybody because nobody saw GL

Hector was basically the movie's Knight Of Cerebus, which the film desperately needed.

>As for the acting, they still need direction. They need to know what they're reacting to and where. The more the director can inform the actors imagination the better the performance will be, the better the movie will be. Film making is first and foremost a collaborative process.

Yeah I get that but it's not any different to stage acting where you're clearly working with four props, an unconvincing backdrop and standing under a dozen lights staring out at an audience while pretending to be the king of Denmark talking to a ghost and your costars are standing just outside the stage door having a timed smoke before they're needed again.

It's acting. You can either do it or you can't. If you can and you choose not to and the director chooses not to make you, that's still on you as much as him - as you say, collaborative process.

>Did they have displacement or normal maps back then?

Yes.

My recollection is that there's a fair amount of finished CGI on the deleted scenes (that is, the ones that were deleted from the theatrical cut, which may have been restored to the home video cut you're watching). When they went back for "reshoots" on this, they got another $50m - taking the budget up to $200m - but it was very late on, when it would have been extremely expensive just to buy a priority spot at the render farm. The technology existed - they just managed it poorly.

>No elaborate space station with cool infrastructure.

Compare the ISS to literally any other station we've ever put up as a species, past or present. It's fucking mind-blowing that it's the size it is with the limitations we face. And they managed to put a Star Wars window on it.

It was a movie trying really hard to be Iron Man and missing the mark by a mile.

One of the more hateable protagonists to ever grace a cape flick.

>It's acting. You can either do it or you can't.
Reynolds must've leveled up a lot between GL and Deadpool then because he treats Colossus like an actual seven foot tall metal guy is really there.

he did have five years to learn

Everything on Oa was good and Mark Strong as Sinestro was fucking great. Everything else was just pretty boringly mediocre. It wasn't an absolute shitshow like BvS, but it wasn't good either.

All they fucking had to do was adapt First Flight and it would've been fine. At least 75% of the movie should've been off Earth, instead we got like 15 minutes of space stuff.

>What I was getting at about the cgi costumes was that I don't think the tech existed back then to make them convincing
This came out in 2011 bro. Avatar had already made bucketloads off blue people sex.

All my hate for this film can be summed up in one shitty editing choice.
When Hal is given the ring he's picked up in a construct and flew to Abin... when he leaves its daylight. when he arrives it's night. "Ok, that's odd but that just means it flew him a really far distance."
but then Hal calls his buddy for a ride...
So he flew so far that day turned into night, but no to far that his buddy couldn't come pick him up after playtime.

It's one of the few comic movies i've never seen. Just never really had any interest in watching it, nothing about looks like it would be worth checking out.

Two major problems.

The first is they really wanted to focus on this being a big epic origin setup rather than just a green lantern film. Hal Jordan is an intergalactic superhero who's meant to fight evil on earth and in the cosmos but he never does that because they want to jump through so many hoops first. The movie ends with him going offscreen to do the thing the audience paid to see him do two hours ago.

Related to that is it tried too hard to do too much lore. In the dawn of the Silver Age, GL clearly had lore going on with the guardians and the specific "rules" of the ring but it was given out in pieces so it wouldn't detract from the main attraction of watching Green Lantern beat up badguys with his ring. He got strange messages from a mysterious group of figures that were eventually revealed to be the guardians and he did a bit of training MUCH later but he was basically good to go the moment that ring was on.

That second one is something I blame very much on Geoff Johns, for what it's worth. You can tell they desperately wanted to race to emotion spectrum stuff and have him fight parallax early on to try to further erase Emerald Twilight's legacy but it has no weight when dealt with that early. Nobody cares about the "yellow light of fear" because you've barely established what the ring can even DO as a baseline. Hal's training is also something that was fundamentally unnecessary to the film and if he's amazing enough to be picked he shouldn't have to go through all of that.

Fundamentally Hector Hammond isn't a bad villain. He's really simple: Scientist crazy. Space rock makes scientist crazier. Different space rock lets guy fight crazy guy. Hell, Hammond is one of my favorite GL villains and is in some of my favorite comics. But when you bog it down with stuff about Parallax and a corps that shouldn't be so prominent in the first film and plotlines that clearly don't matter to the audience the idea of Hal Jordan won't shine through.

I thought GL was okay.
Not great but okay.

CGI looked bad in plenty of places.
Some of the aliens looked good, especially Sinestro (though word is Sinestro was gonna look way different and the actor argued in favor of more comicbook design)
Ryan Reynolds actually did a good job, but got shafted of being stuck with a not very successful movie.
The Parallax design looked terrible (and they spent like 2 seconds in flashback explaining it is actually Krona possessed)

I feel like unless you were a GL going in, you weren't gonna be very forgiving on this movie.

This was infinitely better than BvS.

That was the chick who wasn't Famke in Goldeneye.

Is there a better villain they could have used for the first film?

I liked it desu.

They wanted to save Sinestro, set him up proper instead of him being evil from beginning.

Honestly there isn't many good GL villains who don't require a bit of setup or heavy explanation.

Shut up Disneyfag, get your company war shit out of here, this is a DC thread. No one cares Civil War is a garbage piece of shit that no one liked.

At least they got Clancy Brown for Parallax.

Agreed. They couldn't just bring in Atrocitis or Larfleeze just like that.

I thought Sinestro was pretty good in this movie.

But that was the only thing I really liked.

Not even just them.
You think you can just have Qward stuff?
Or Manhunter?

I mean if you want Manhunter they'd have to spend whole movie on that rather than Parallax fear vs will

It's utterly hideous badly scripted irredeemable garbage. The effects are awful. The plot is moronic. The characters are cardboard cut-outs. The camerawork is lazy and flat. If you can't tell that it is a complete train-wreck of a movie then I don't know how you can form opinions of movies at all honestly.
Bummer about the voice casting though that shit was spot on.
This was Micheal Clarke Duncan's last movie

Its not just the shallow story telling. Its how low the attempt stops.
Its what the story is.
The story is basically a shallow attempt at compilation the GREATEST OF HAL JORDAN into a single movie.

Also this.
Movie miss a lot of his character.

Why not Kan Jar Ro?
>Hey new guy that pirate is smuggling guns and will turn the tide of an intergalactic war for the worse.
>Sinestro will show you around.
There I just made a better movie.

I don't think that's a problem.

Because Kan Jar Ro isn't all that better known than Hammond.

And I guess they didn't want all supporting cast to be GLs.

Ok homie none of Green Lantern's villains are well known. It doesn't matter which one you use.
If the war is happening in Hal's sector then you can easily get Earth characters involved.
The problem isn't the use of Hammond I think- it's the use of Parallax.

Qward.
They are yellow anti matter invaders.

Or just done a
>Abin Sur dies
>Hal Jordan
>10 minute scene montage style, to show case how getting the Ring Working, maybe killing his drunk driver buddy
>Sinestro going to train you, in space, for 50 minutes, with lots of cool set pieces and scenes
>Hal Jordan goes on a solo mission and succeeds
It doesn't even have to be anything really big.
Hal vs Sinestro is more a Movie 2 or Movie 3 plot
Parrallex is doesn't have to be a thing, but it should happen after Star Sapphire and Larfreeze
Hell, if you where really going for it, have Abin Sur be killed by the trippy nightmare peoples prophecy.

It's one of this movie's biggest problems.

Martha was a moving moment though.
Cred Forums is allergic to sincerity.

I think one of my biggest issues with the movie is the fact that Hal has his default eyes in his outfit

They just really wanted to use someone dear based to really emphasis overcoming fear I guess.
And wanted to save Sinestro as hype for next movie.

It was okay. Not great, but certainly more entertaining than people made it out to be.

Nah it's crap.

right

wrong

WHY DIDN'T THEY GIVE US GUY GARDNER INSTEAD OF THIS MOMS APPLE PIE FUCK?!?!

Well it's certainly better than a majority of the MCU movies and every DCEU movie to come out so far. It was pretty to look at at least.

Fuck Guy, he's always been a garbage character.

>better than a majority of the MCU

Stop

HOW DARE YOU, SIR

>Greg Berlanti was slated to direct the movie, but dropped out because he didn't believe he was fit to direct a big-budget blockbuster, and was replaced by Martin Campbell, who has been upfront about doing it for an easy paycheck.

>Early drafts featured Legion as the main villain, a monster born from experiments conducted by the Guardians of the Universe with the Yellow Light of Fear. He was replaced by Parallax to set up sequels.

>Early drafts featured Alan Scott as a government operative and former Green Lantern who assists Hal Jordan. He was replaced by Amanda Waller to set up a DC Cinematic Universe.

>Ryan Gosling, Chris Pine, Jared Leto, Justin Timberlake, Jake Gyllenhall, Michael Fassbender and Bradley Cooper were approached for Hal Jordan before Ryan Reynolds was cast.

>Rose Byrne, Eva Green, Keri Russell, Jennifer Garner and Diane Kruger were approached for Carol Ferris before Blake Lively was cast.

>Hugo Weaving and Jackie Earle Haley were approached for Thaal Sinestro before Mark Strong was cast.

>Reynolds notoriously clashed with Campbell, who favored Bradley Cooper for the role and was unhappy when WB cast Reynolds instead, and criticized Reynolds' performance at every turn and demanded extensive retakes.

>The movie went severely overbudget, requiring emergency rewrites to scale down the scope and several CGI-heavy scenes to be deleted as it would be impossible to complete them, notably an extensive training sequence on planet Oa and Sinestro, Tomar-Re and Kilowog arriving to help Jordan battle Parallax in the third act.

>The stinger with Sinestro stealing the yellow power ring was a last-minute addition to drum up interest in a potential sequel, which had already been greenlit, and was subsequently scrapped.

>The movie was expected to succesfully launch a DC Cinematic Universe, with Green Lantern functioning as WB's Iron Man, but plans were scrapped after the movie was a massive box office flop.

manhunters don't really require that much set-up and would have been better for the film imo. have hal fly to Oa, learn about being a GL and oh no, the Manhunters are attacking a nearby planetary system!! only explanation required is that 'they're emotionless robots who the guardians made to be GLs that went rogue'. very easy for most audiences to understand and would have been a good intro as to why GLs exist as they do today ( chosen by the ring instead of created by the guardians etc ). would have brought the entire corps together and been epic af. could have had sinestro being leader, thinking that they needed something stronger to take on the manhunters which would have set up the yellow ring, had hal do some dumb epic shit that should have been Impossible but it's cool cause he's the Best Boy

would have been very simple, but they wanted to literally throw in the entire entity of fear from the get-go. what the fuck. they should have done like, undercurrents of parallax maybe in this film, some kind of foreshadowing for future films ( especially with sinestro getting the yellow ring at the end ). could have been done so nicely :'(

its not hard to make a good GL film WB just rushed everything as fucking usual.

>I'm only 13

Go fuck yourself.

It's pretty bad. I don't think there's anything good about it other than Mark Strong as Sinestro.

Alien designs
Oa
His suit looking like an actual alien construct.

You hate it because that's what the hivemind says. It isn't a good movie by any means, but people saying that it's the worst thing ever are just being silly and are blatantly just trying to fit in.

>Alien designs
Which a barely featured.

>Oa
Literally rocks: the planet.

>His suit looking like an actual alien construct.
And it looked awful.

>You hate it because that's what the hivemind says
Or maybe because it's bad.

It was adequate for what it was, in comparison to what was going on at the same time (Fantastic Four) - by comparison to say the Rami movies, it lacked heart and compassion - there are comic books like it, but they don't become cross-over hits with mainstream appeal. And, as several other people said, it didn't try to aim the material above what the folks behind it thought it needed (e.g. see X-Men 1 and, especially 2) and it didn't have any stylized touches or the decent to good action scene cinematography things which are considered 'art/good' cape have (see Batman Begins). But it's entertaining enough, just much less so than say MCU sausage factory product. Now that he has 5 or so years of cape tv, Berlanti could probably do a better job at at least making a B+ movie.

I have a question regarding Hector Hammond. When his brain go bigger, did it just break through his skull since it wasn't able to accommodate the size or did his skull magically become bigger too?

I know the Men in Black Animated Series went with the former when it happened to one of the characters.

I thought the CG suit and mask looks good for what it is - a construct generated by his ring/lantern.

OK. How do we fix the movie. My suggestion:
>Don't let it play on Earth
>Do First Flight instead

When will WB learn that if they want to "launch a new universe" they have to start with The Flash?

I love the Hot Wheels track part really