Disney Ducks storytime

Since last week's storytime of the Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck was well recieved, I thought I'd post a few more stories by Carl Barks and Don Rosa. I'll start with Barks' classic "Lost in the Andes" – which, you'll remember, was referenced in chapter 3 of Life and Times – but if anyone has requests, shout 'em out!

Other urls found in this thread:

desuarchive.org/co/thread/86291553/
desuarchive.org/co/thread/86295043/
desuarchive.org/co/thread/86297877/
desuarchive.org/co/thread/86356322/
youtube.com/watch?v=XjtkWZ1uCXo
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

If you want to read the Life and Times storytime, here's the previous threads:
desuarchive.org/co/thread/86291553/
(Parts 0/1 to 8)

desuarchive.org/co/thread/86295043/
(Parts 8B to 12, plus Christmas on Bear Mountain)

desuarchive.org/co/thread/86297877/
(The Dream of a Lifetime and The Last Sled to Dawson)

desuarchive.org/co/thread/86356322/
(Another user's generous contribution of a Mau Heymans story from IDW's Uncle Scrooge)

I still don't understand the like continutiy? of the barks/rosa stuff. Was Life and Times like comic nerd shit making all the early stories make sense together in the same continuity?

Pretty much.

This story would probably get called racist today, huh.

Alright. Next up: The Old Castle's Secret, the second ever story featuring Scrooge.

Since Barks didn't really have Scrooge worked out yet here, he looks pretty off-model. He doesn't really act like Scrooge, either; he's not brave, not particularly cunning, and - beyond going on the treasure hunt in the first place - he's not even particularly greedy!

Less damningly, he's not a dick to Donald, either.

First story was the Christmas Story, involving a bear.

Why do all sentences end with a exclamation mark?

Also thanks OP

>human skeleton

Yup. Storytimed that one to give context during Life and Times.
Drama.
You're welcome.
Look, Barksverse dog people are basically humans with black noses anyway.

>Ottoman helmets

Uh. Exactly which side did the McDucks fight for?

The most profitable side. Duh.

(Alternative explanation: they're war trophies.)

Pretty much. Barks fans circulated a short little biography of Scrooge based on various things Scrooge had mentioned doing in his past in the Barks stories in zines and shit. That served as Don Rosa's starting point for when he got the job of doing a biography of Scrooge as an actual comic book, but he fine tuned it to better suit some of his own interpretations.

Do you think Scrooge would be in favor of piracy? I mean, not against his trademarks ofc, but I just don't see him paying his competitors when there's a free alternative.

>but he fine tuned it to better suit some of his own interpretations.

And that was necessary because some of the stuff Scrooge mentioned in the Barks stories did not line up with what happened in the real world - they were years off, for example.

So Rosa had to re-interpret things in order to create an actual timeline.

>Do you think Scrooge would be in favor of piracy? I mean, not against his trademarks ofc, but I just don't see him paying his competitors when there's a free alternative.

If it is something that denies him profit, then he is against it.

Young Scrooge during his Klondike years who's just found out both his sisters died in poverty

VS

PTSD war-veteran nip-hating Donald who just came home to see Daisy stroking Gladstone's terrifying duckmember while someone's towing away 313 and his nephews are in danger

Who wins?

>me third wife was a McDuck on her mother's side
>The McDuck family tree has dogs in it.

Nah. He's always determined to pay a fair price, but what's fair to him is... maybe lower than what others would think.
I'd have to give it to Scrooge, assuming some sharpie's cheating him on a deal. Scrooge's rage is far more focused and targeted than Donald's.
Anyway! I'm doing "Back to the Klondike", now; the first appearance of Glittering Goldie. I'll follow it up with "The Fabulous Philosopher's Stone", and then the Don Rosa sequels "The Crown of the Crusader Kings" and "The Old Castle's Other Secret" (aka "A Letter From Home").

Life and Times was an attempt to take most of Scrooge's dialogue relating to his past in Barks' comics and making a coherent story out of it.

Disney comics don't really have a canon outside of Rosa's stuff and the occasional reference/throwback/sequel to an older comic.

Despite Scrooge's greed and being the spendthrift he is, he prefers to stay on the legal side of things. When it comes to stuff like pirating a movie, he would more likely just not watch the movie at all. At the same time, he has no problem reading newspapers out of a trashcan so if you count that as pirating, then maybe I guess.

In what circumstances would Scrooge have found out about his sisters dying? That would be a big factor in the outcome.

Scrooge. Donald's a scrapper, but Scrooge when he was that mad could take anybody.

I think in general Donald though, would win most fights with Scrooge.

This entire sequence is great.

Also, that flashback with Goldie was edited out in the original print.

In this episode, Scrooge has Alzheimer's.

>That time Scrooge found happiness without money

Top tier OOC story tbqh

IT WAS THE STYLE AT THE TIME.
But here's Walt Simonson's explanation for it:
>One note about the routine use of exclamation marks in comics back in the day - I was told back when I asked about it myself that exclamation marks were used because the printing and the use of newsprint occasionally meant that a regular period didn't always print clearly, thus creating sentences that didn't end properly. The exclamation mark was more reliable. I don't know how true this is or how often periods didn't print with clarity, but I did have a sentence in one of my earlier issues of Thor print without an " 's " at the end of it, thereby completely reversing the meaning of the word balloon. This was corrected in the Omnibus, but I was pretty annoyed at the time.

>Shooting the ghost
that must be the first time that ever worked.

I find it amusing that donald has ptsd from the war.

>the most awesome blackness
youtube.com/watch?v=XjtkWZ1uCXo

Kek.

>International Monetary Council
>literally Jews

Not quite.

S A V A G E
A
V
A
G
E

And here's "The Old Castle's Other Secret"/"A Letter From Home".
Personally, I think it's a bit overly sentimental and out of character for Scrooge, but it does provide a nice cap to Life and Times...

Pepe?

>"None of it was greed, it was all because I was ashamed"
Rosa, you hack. Not muh Scrooge.

So, that's that for now. Anyone have any particular requests? Should I keep going or leave it here?

Just for you, user.

>"None of it was greed, it was all because I was ashamed"
I don't think that was his intended meaning here. I think Scrooge was saying he felt ashamed for becoming so greedy after being confronted about it by his sisters, not that he was never greedy.

Fucking saved.

And thanks for the storytimes, I always like to read more Duck stuff but I wouldn't know what to ask for. Just anything you think is good or might be new to Cred Forums I guess.

Yeah, but at the end of The Empire Builder from Calisota, Scrooge is clearly ignoring his siblings out of greed and glee over being the richest man in the world, not out of any sense of shame. I think this retcon does a disservice to the character.
Also, "my money doesn't matter as long as I have family" is the corniest, least Scroogey shit I have ever seen. He loves his family, yeah, but I'd never see him as saying that the money doesn't matter because of it. Maybe DuckTales Scrooge.

Alright, glad you've enjoyed it. I'll put a few of Rosa's Barks sequels in the queue, maybe? This one's a sequel to Lost in the Andes.

BEHOLD!
The ancient land of Minecraft!

Here's a sequel to "The Vigilante of Pizen Bluff", from Life and Times.

>No.1 Rand
>the Rand wasn't introduced until 1961
You fucked up Rosa. Either that or Glomgold didn't make any money for a very long time.

Hey, it says it's his first Rand, not his first ever money...

And here's another edit.
Should I continue?

>Those skellington arms

Ah. I was going to post "A Little Something Special", but we're almost at the image limit. If people really care I'll make a new thread and post a few, though.

If you wouldn't mind storytimer, I wish there were a few more people commenting - I feel like I'm kind of alone in reading here.

Please.

thank you for posting these, i've been catching up through the old threads for the past few days. i never knew how great these were!

As you like.

Man, Duck Elon Musk sure is evil

Holy shit OP. I think I still have this in the basement. Mine is dog-eared as hell.
Blast from the past

I'll post a pic when I get home.