Remember when Alfred, Bruce's de facto father, confessed to burning down an entire forest just to catch jewel thieves...

Remember when Alfred, Bruce's de facto father, confessed to burning down an entire forest just to catch jewel thieves? Ruined an entire ecosystem and destroyed the livelihoods of everyone who depended on that forest, but at least those jewel thieves were caught! Cause if there's one thing that's for certain it's that jewels are much more valuable than ecosystems and the myriad lives that depend on them.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=fyDZQia5ENk
youtube.com/watch?v=C3DScYKzw80
youtube.com/watch?v=dStZa3xIEDo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

He straight up said he was a mercenary, he buried his doubts with the dead. At some point he could not longer take it, and sought redemption.

Remember when Alfred originally promised to stand by Bruce's side no matter what and then immediatley pussed out and let Batman struggle with his largest threat yet. Alfred is a piece of shit and ditched his son when he needed him most.

Dude it was in Burma. Literally nothing of value was lost.

He's saying he made mistakes.
Alfred's past doesn't really matter that much. Pretty sure at one point in the comic he was SAS, which pretty much means he was assassinating people on the regular.

Just like real life.

A LON TIME AGO, MY FRENS A I WER IN Cred Forums WORKIN FOUR DA LOCAL MODS DERE. DEY WERE TRYINA BUY DA LOYALTY OF ANONS BY BRIBING DEM WIF PRECIUS GOLD PASSES.

BUT DEIR BOARD WERE BEIN RAIDED BY SHITPOSTERS NORF OF Cred Forums RANDOM
SO WE WEN LOOKIN 4 DA PASES

BUT IN SIX MANF
WE NEVAH MET ANY user WOO HAD 1.

WAN DAI
I SAW A TRIPFAG PLAYIN
WIF A PASS DA SIZE

OF A TANGERINE

DA SHITPOSTERS

HAD BEEN FROWIN EM AWAY.

This is why I prefer BvS to the Nolan trilogy
Because in the end, a Batman movie is only as good as Alfred's characterisation and the guy walked out on Bruce when he needed him most

Alfred couldn't watch his son kill himself after suffering through months of seeing him deteriorate psychologically and physically every day.

Then he should've actually done something about it instead of just walking away.

Worst Alfred.

I get what Nolan was trying to do (I think). But Bruce realized that ultimately he was the only one capable of saving Gotham and was willing to make the sacrifice and Alfred was unable to accept that. In that end that makes Alfred selfish to a degree and while human, is counter to the idea of Alfred.

This poster said it best. Bruce is only as capable as Alfred allows him to be. Bruce has been shown time and time again that when he's operating solo, his overconfidence and arrogance tend to get the better of him and that leads to a fuck up. WHen Bruce is in constant contact with Alfred he's part of a team. He knows he's not alone. And he can win.

Absolutely fantastic scene with Alfred
youtube.com/watch?v=fyDZQia5ENk

Compared to
youtube.com/watch?v=C3DScYKzw80

Irons' Alfred would absolutely demolish Caine's is a brawl.

What if the bandit was the Joker, bros? Wouldn't that be a twist?

Probably was of the most insightful and hysterical interactions between Batman and Alfred and it came from Dwayne McDuffie's last work. Personally, I feel Justice League Doom is a tad underrated around here.
youtube.com/watch?v=dStZa3xIEDo

I will never understand the point of having Alfred be a former merc/SAS/MI5/whathaveyou war veteran. I mean what the fuck does it bring to the table?

Knowledge of guerrilla tactics, field medic training, strategy training, advanced computer science, etc.

His SAS training is what makes him so essential to the team. Without it, he's just a butler and surrogate father.

>destroyed the livelihoods of everyone who depended on that forest
Somehow, I have a feeling you have a very colorful vision of what a forest actually is

>it's an OP cannot into context thread
As is usual for Cred Forums posters

A TANGERINE
THE SIZE OF A TANGERINE

'member when Cred Forums complained about "not muh" cape characters whose characterisations have been changed and rebooted regularly over several decades or more?

Cape characters are whatever the writer at the time wants them to be, this has always been the case and always will be.

That's why Britain won it's jungle war against a Communist insurgency and America lost theirs.

Because the British don't actually care about the people that they're sent in to protect and the Americans try to appeal to hearts and minds, since we're ostensibly overseas for the benefit of the citizenry of the country that we're fighting in?

>so essential to the team
But what is he actually doing besides feeding Bruce and giving him his morning paper?

Remember when Alfred, Bruce's de facto father, confessed to withholding Rachel's "I'm just not that into you, Bruce." letter, allowing his "son" to fall into utter despair at losing the love of his life. For EIGHT YEARS he allowed Bruce to wallow in complete misery, his life falling apart in parallel to Wayne Industries. Bruce's real father's legacy was fraying, and STILL all Alfred could offer was pithy criticism, secretly glad that at least he wasn't Batman.

THEN, when a threat to Gotham arose that demanded that Bruce take up the cowl again, Alfred threw the existence of the letter into his face as a final Fuck You on his way out the door.

Thanks, Goyer.

The entire point of that story is that Alfred regrets the violent, scorched earth policy of his youth, and doesn't want Bruce to follow in his footsteps.

That doesn't excuse terrible writing in any way.

Man, this Alfred really was a piece of shit.
They seem to try and play him off as a good guy, but he's a total motherfucker.

Alfred's the indispensable member of the Batfamily.

He's a mechanic, so he keeps all of Bruce's equipment in tip-top shape. He keeps the Batcave clean and does routine maintenance on all of Bruce's systems which isn't easy or even pleasant, since the Batcave is literally a cave that bats nest in. He does all the field recon and surveillance from the computer while Bats is out on the street. He's moral support and a field medic, both of which are incredibly important in a guerrilla war campaign.

Basically, without Alfred, Bruce would be incredibly diminished. He'd still be able to do his thing, but not even remotely as effectively and he'd be hobbling into Leslie's clinic every night because he'd basically be flying blind.

Apart from medic training (which he could have picked up anywhere) none of that shit makes him important or even plays into his role on the team. He does any actual strategy or guerrilla tactics analysis or planning. He doesn't need to because there is a far, far superior strategist and tactician already on the team: fucking Batman.

When was he shown doing any of that?

I'm not sure if you're talking about Alfred in general or movie-specific Alfred. I'm talking about the latter who doesn't seem to do shit besides bitch and give Bruce shit and pills.

He was truly an irredeemable piece of shit.

The running theme of Goyer's DC universe seems to be that 30 something men still need to rely on mommy and daddy to tell them what's right. Not to inspire them with a good upbringing, mind you, but to literally advise them day to day on what to do next.

Ohhh. I was talking about comics Alfred.

In the movies he's...uh...right hand man and field medic, basically.

In the movies he's his bitchy Jewish mother.

Bruce can save tens of thousands of lives REPEATEDLY, and all this motherfucker can do is take the piss out of him for trying the next time.

Doom is one of my favorite DC animated movies despite the fact that most find it average. It's top 5 for me, at least.

>The running theme of Goyer's DC universe seems to be that 30 something men still need to rely on mommy and daddy to tell them what's right. Not to inspire them with a good upbringing, mind you, but to literally advise them day to day on what to do next.
I couldn't have said it better myself.

But why?

I always thought it was Alfred relating himself to the Joker,and admitting he just wants to watch the world burn.

>Americans try to appeal to hearts and minds
We are here to bring freedom and justice to this lands!

Now we shall commence dropping napalms in this village of whom we suspect are harboring the enemy.

Can you please tell me the issue number?

BvS was basically Batman Prep Time: The Movie for the first 2 hours

I am genuinely surprised at how this thread is turning it out as everyone I ever meet in real life goes on and on about how awesome Alfred is in these flicks and I feel like I'm the crazy one. Glad to find that other Cred Forumsmrades can see through Alfred's bullshit.snyder

Well yeah, and I bet everyone you've met in real life is a Nolan dick sucker who has never touched a comic book before in their lives, am I right in assuming that?

Nailed it.

>not muh is terrible writing
This is what capefags think.

So you're saying Alfred inflates the Batmobile's tyres?

Well, yeah. I mean, they fucking killed Harold.

Sorry, but all I remember is it was a one shot where Alfred is tasked with getting the Outsiders back together. It was part of the Battle for the Cowl arc, so 2009 or early 2010.

To me, the greatest failure of the Dark Knight trilogy is the fact that Bruce Wayne was Batman for a year, then gave up and stayed at home crying for 8 years because MUH RACHEL, then became Batman again for like 5 minutes, then abandoned everything to bang Catwoman, leaving Gotham's protection to some hothead cop with no resources or training.
This isn't the Batman we know. Batman doesn't give up, Batman is relentless. Nolan gave us a guy called Bruce Wayne who sometimes dressed up as Batman, and that's the only connection to the classic character he has.

Yep. I was bothered by that when I was watching TDKR for the first time. Just like, "Batman /quit/? Because a loved one died?"

Nolan's Batman is even more neo-conservative than regular Batman.

>Ruined an entire ecosystem
It's India.

They have designated shitting roads.

And people still shit wherever they stand.

Nothing can ruin the ecosystems of India more than the Indians already have.

More digging gives me Batman and the Outsiders Special 1 (Feb. 2009)

You can get some stories out of it. I think the only one that really exploited his background in a meaningful manner was Beware.

I was bothered by that too, but if it makes you guys feel better, Nolan never wanted to make a Dark Knight movie past The Dark Knight.

A RUBY
THE SIZE
OF A MIDGET

>BUT IN SIX MANF

Because he was an actual character with his own interests and motivations.

Meanwhile in BvS Alfred is just there for "the epic quipping bantz" and to send obvious messages to the audience about "think about this guy, this is deep *wink wink*" comments about recent events.

Pretty much a non-character.
But I don't expect memers that only care about hating the Nolan trilogy to understand.

>saved Bruce during Begins TWICE
>has Alfred's sarcasm at his best
>tried to save his son from mindless hothead desicions for all the movies
>HE BURNT SOME TREES BY ORDER OF HIS KINGDOM, NOT MUH!

The best thing about Alfred being revealed as an ex serviceman doing dodgy government jobs overseas is that I can headcanon he was Harry Palmer.

BVS Alfred would kick Nolan's Alfred's ass in a fight.

So?