Imagine if they made a decent Roger Rabbit movie in the near future...

Imagine if they made a decent Roger Rabbit movie in the near future. How amazing could they make it look with modern technology if they put the same amount of effort into it?

Other urls found in this thread:

lasertimepodcast.com/2016/07/03/what-ever-happened-to-roger-rabbit/
youtu.be/d1QC2KMJndw
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Unfortunately I don't think we'll ever get another Roger Rabbit ever again. I think Zemeckis tried but Spielberg, Disney and Warner aren't ever going to play ball.

I honestly believe the original was the combination of a fluke and everything happening at the right time. I don't think you can repeat it.

>Zemeckis

pls no

>Remaking masterpieces for the sole reason of putting in more special effects
It would be shit. Remakes are always shittier than the originals. It would get nailed to a cross on Cred Forums because they would try to appeal to a larger audience and add in a bunch of shit characters for diversity and remove jokes because they would offend people.

A roger rabbit that actually followed the book exactly though, that would be interesting.

Fun fact, when Zemeckis most recently pitched the WFRR sequel, the humans were to be entirely mocap and the toons were to be traditional.

Then Mars Needs Moms happened.

Pretty much. It was lightning in a bottle. Even if you could somehow get all those factors to align and work together I don't know what purpose a sequel would serve.

He directed Roger Rabbit. You wouldn't want him to direct the sequel?

Christ, thank god for Mars Needs Moms, then.

Not post-Polar Express Zemeckis

He's gone a little nuts in the last few decades.

There's a lot of information about why a sequel would never happen here:
lasertimepodcast.com/2016/07/03/what-ever-happened-to-roger-rabbit/

The Zemeckis of today isn't the same Zemeckis that made WFRR and BTTF. He ended up becoming someone more obsessed with the technology of moviemaking and less interested in storytelling. George Lucas is more famous for having this flaw but Zemeckis has a worse case of it.

The number one reason why there shouldn't be a sequel is you can guarantee that it will be done in horrendous CGI.

>3d

Isn't that kind of missing the point?

That's fair. Can't say I followed his recent projects at all but I love Roger Rabbit and Back to the Future so I'm probably just seeing it in rose tinted glasses.

I may be stupid (pls no bully) but I think this shit was impressive back then because of how low quality and lower res the actual display of it was.

If you did this now with full HD and real HD video equipment everyone has to view it on it would look worse

Don't worry, his nightmare factory of a studio has been shut down for a while. It can't hurt you anymore.
He made a TON of shitty mo-cap movies in the late 2000s.

user.. Did you just vaguely defend George Lucas? You wanna fucking razzle dazzle man?

Lucas over-uses CGI but he does put some thought into his stories, even if they still have bad ideas and bad execution. Zemeckis got to the point where he just started looking for excuses to mocap shit and didn't care about anything else. Lucas was never a great director and was always bad with actors- Zemeckis was at one time a good director but even he stopped being able to properly work with his actors because he felt the CGI would do all the work. Zemeckis fell harder into the technology trap, but none of his stuff is as high profile as Star Wars so he's not as notorious for it.

>someone vaguely defends Lucas
>get mad about it
How old are you?

Agreed. With hyper-realistic CG being the standard, the effect would lose it's punch.

>Anyone getting mad about trivial things on Cred Forums

I-I liked Polar Express user.

>A roger rabbit that actually followed the book exactly though, that would be interesting.

Interesting, but incredibly irrelevant. The film itself, unfortunately, can already be considered dated just because the domination of CGI animated films in the industry. Making a film based on comic strip characters who talk through speech bubbles would be absurd. But interesting it see nonetheless.

As much as I would like another Roger Rabbit, I do not want it made in [current year.]
Toons would have a civil rights and BLM movement, humans would be evil oppressive forces, etc. No thanks.

It's fine the way it is. And goddamn pic related terrified me as a child.

>Toons would have a civil rights and BLM movement, humans would be evil oppressive forces, etc. No thanks.
Even in a Roger Rabbit thread we can't escape the SJW bogeyman

It bugged me for a very long time not knowing what kind of toon he was.

You don't think that would be the case? Zootopia just did basically that.

Ever consider that maybe it's not a bogeyman?

If we had a Roger Rabbit sequel it would involved CGI, like this test footage.

youtu.be/d1QC2KMJndw

While the movement is there, it just doesn't have the same charm as hand-drawn animation. Plus the fact that Mel Blanc did most of the Looney Tunes voices adds that last level of charm.

You can disagree, or say that you don't think it's that bad when it does happen, but you cannot pretend like there isn't a strong SJW movement in popular media and social settings. Unless you're just being dishonest.

If that's your bar for what counts as SJW shit I don't know what to tell you.

>I don't know what purpose a sequel would serve.

To make a shitty cash in based on the hope that nostalgia alone can sell it. At best we'd get TFA, at worst Ghostbusters.

>but you cannot pretend like there isn't a strong SJW movement in popular media and social settings
It's always been there. You just never noticed it until the internet got big enough to scream about it.

But Roger Rabbit did have that?
Granted it was far more subtle then Zootopia but yeah, the movie did have alot of civil rights and social parallels from Eddie's distrust and hate on toons to that club that had toon entertainers and servers but not toon customers.

Like someone posted earlier, it really wouldn't feel worth the effort unless they went with hand drawn animation and expert camera work, like the first movie. Trying to put in CGI or over-complicate the film with special effects just feels like visual clutter.

assuming they put just as much effort and passion into this project, or even more, than the original

then there is no reason to believe it wouldnt be as good as the original, since with fewer limitations, they could get more done. the biggest problem of CGI is that you get lazy and use it exclusively, but a blend of modern special effects, and modern practical effects, would create mind-blowing visuals

Lightning in a bottle.

There aren't any good western animators anymore so I don't know how they could make a product better than the original without outsourcing.