Honest question, will the superhero or comic book movie genre die out?

Honest question, will the superhero or comic book movie genre die out?

I'm not so sure myself. They have been making them for a good number of years and they are still making money.

Maybe, but not in the foreseeable future.

People compare them to westerns, but they're much more appealing and offer a wider variety than those.

>People compare them to westerns

How so ?

Western was a very popular genre for something like 30 years in the usa then it died quite brutally. In the 60s, european western movies prolonged a bit the trend but eventually it almost disappears. Nowadays, you see a westerns from time to time but that's all.

It was the same with peplum movies wich were quite popular before they disappeared until Gladiator was made.

I think superhero movies are a trend that will eventually fade to a level comparable to the 90s or even less. Some try to do things a bit differently (Antman). but they're not that different, And the fact that Marvel is using a sort of formula to make their movies the safest possible will accelerate the decline of the genre in the end.

in that they were popular and then the bubble burst and then there were barely any

Superhero movies have been around longer than most of you have been alive

They had a batman movie in the 1960's or something

No, I don't think it will "die out"

that's fucking stupid, man. That's like saying football will die out

>And the fact that Marvel is using a sort of formula to make their movies the safest possible will accelerate the decline of the genre in the end.

You're not wrong but their formula keeps making a shit ton of money. When BvS tried to offer something a little bit different people hated it.

Nah. They may eventually slow down to what they used to be, but there have been superhero movies as long as there have been movies.

No, it won't.

The reason superhero movies exploded is because they have the technology and CGI capabilities to make them now. They made superhero stuff since the 60s and most of them were succesful, but until the 21st century we just didn't have the technology to do them as much. Comic book movies/superhero movies were the "genre" that was waiting to explode and the widespread appeal was inevitable.

It was the wrong different. High action, High continuity, Low humanity. If they had moved those needles around a little bit they could have gotten a different movie that people actually loved.

I think the current boom will die out eventually.
I have a feeling it might the next big social change that will just change audience appetites.

I can still imagine them sticking about in lower numbers.

Football will die out

You're saying that as if Nolanbats wasn't massively succesful with both the audience and critics. Hell, TDK is still regarded by most people as the best superhero movie ever.

BvS wasn't badly received because it was dark and serious and "not like Marvel", it was badly received because it wasn't that good. A lot of people don't like MoS/BvS because they don't care for the characters. Characters are the reason normies go and see these movies, as evidenced by Iron Man 3 making over a billion dollars (because of RDJ), Deadpool being super succesful because people love the character of Deadpool and Suicide Squad being succesful because everyone and their dog loves Harley Quinn. Snyder's Superman failed to connect with the audience.

Man there was literally
>40's: cap movie, two bat movies
>50's: nothing
>60's: one batman movie

fast forward until

>1978: Donner's Superman

Then you had the four superman movies, the four batman movies, Howard the Duck, Fantastic Four, 90's Cap, The Punisher... and that's all. And Blade 1, considering the superhero ''genre'' only took off after X-Men 1.

So for about 60 years we had 17 movies, two not even being released in theaters.

Now 16 years after X-Men 1, I can't even count how many capeshit has been released. Don't forget about the TV series too (10 seasons of Smallville, anyone?)

It's something unprecedent in the history of cinema. When the bubble burst, it will BURST HARD. Marvel will be destroyed because all of their other division fucking suck (except maybe TV).

And Hollywood will have another fad... wait, no. Holywood will also implode. Nobody goes to theathers anymore. No movie is a big event if it isn't capeshit or Star Wars. Not even animation excites people, except maybe children.

We're watching the death of an industry. I'm not shitposting. Going to the movies will be like listening to the radio in 50 years.

They all do eventually.

I still listen to the radio.

No, in the past they sort of did because they had to be campy as fuck, cg or even practical effects couldn't make it seem at all realistic or serious or anything. We're well past that now, fantasy and sci fi is along the same lines.
With established universes they don't even have to do particularly long exposition origin stories or anything, just slap Marvel or DC in the opening credits and say, this is character 'X'.

So I made a list. In the last 16 years we had
>13 MCU movies
>9 Fox's X-Men movies
>9 DC Movies
>Universal's Hulk
>Two Punisher movies
>5 Spidey movies
>Two Ghost Rider movies
>Man-Thing
>Catwoman
>Daredevil
>Elektra
>Blade Trinity
>3 FF4

FORTY NINE movies. I don't remember a year when we didn't had capeshit.

Let me answer your question with a question:
Does it look like Hollywood has any better ideas?

I think weve had superheroes back since Gilgamesh. The Trojan war was basically ancient Greece's avengers run.

I think there here to stay.

>40's: cap movie, two bat movies
Those were serials. There was also Vigilante, Flash Gordon, Buck Rogers and Dick Tracy. Probably others I'm forgetting.