Does Cred Forums like Spawn? The comic, the series, or the movie? I've seen an episode and read one comic...

Does Cred Forums like Spawn? The comic, the series, or the movie? I've seen an episode and read one comic, but I remember thinking he was popular for a short time.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=IJaRfoWHAAw
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I've only seen the movie and it was pretty boring. Heard the tv show was decent though.

Bump

It's an interesting plot, but I don't really like the direction it went later.

The HBO series is great

I'm a big fan of McFarlane and Capullo's character designs throughout the series

Great concept, shit execution. Consistently terrible writing. The animated series is amazing, however. Check that out.

I religiously read Spawn for about the first 50-60 issues. I also read some of David Hine's run, the Armageddon arc and a little bit of the stuff after that. The cartoon was pretty cool too.

>Consistently terrible writing
Yeah Todd really should've at least hired a scripter to work on his plots like Liefeld did.

Silvestri learned quickly he wasn't a writer and hired people like Garth Ennis and Ron Marz

I know Valentino and Larsen always handled writing duties, but they were both decent at it

I don't know enough about Wildstorm

Did you read the Dark Ages spin-off?

As a kid I bought a bunch of the Cyberforce figurines not knowing it was a comic, little me just thought the characters all looked cool.

Spawn is fun but the script is awful and by like issue 100 the whole thing is nothing but a series of DBZ-esque scenarios where spawn gets stronger but stronger enemies keep showing up, it gets bad and I stopped reading it after that.

I will always love the idea of this satan infused demon living with the homeless.

>Did you read the Dark Ages spin-off?

No I didn't. Was it any good? The only spin-offs I read were the Angela and also Medieval Spawn/Witchblade miniseries.

>by like issue 100 the whole thing is nothing but a series of DBZ-esque scenarios

Pretty sure it was created to last 100 issues and then end, but it kept going.

The recent arc with Erik Larsen on art was really fun though. Look at this giant Kirby ass fist

It's amazing if you take 50 as the end of the series.

Comic had a good concept but no direction or focus, with the aim explicitly being that it's an on-going series, so it doesn't matter. You could read the first 70 issues and quickly realize nothing significant or memorable occurs

The cartoon is far more enjoyable as it has to have a structure and direction it's going, so there's actual plot and memorable things that happen.

The big hype behind the series was that it had an edgy idea for a superhero and then had edgy more and more realistic and different action figures.

Silvestri actually had his brother scripting Cyberforce from the beginning, one of the main reasons why it was one of Image's best books in those early years. Not that his brother was particularly great or anything but at least the book had a writer at all.

I'm still a fan, after all these years.

Spawn's biggest problem is usually how it drags it's feet for 10 issues before they decide the next major plot point.

It actually took off really well post issue 100, when Brian Holguin wrote for it.

>the comic

It was good until the ape.

TV show was good.
Movie was dumb fun.
Comic started good but went to shit.

I was a big fan of McFarlane's art back when Spawn debuted in 1992, but even I quit the comic after the first six issues or so. The art was fine—better than anything that he did on Spider-Man—but I just couldn't stand his writing.

I thought that maybe McFarlane's writing on Spider-Man was bad because of poor chemistry with his editor, but freed from any sort of editorial oversight, it soon became clear to me that McFarlane was just a terrible writer, full stop (just as Liefeld's art looks like something drawn by someone who never learned to draw from life, McFarlane's writing came off as something created by someone who only ever read comics and not much else).

I forgot how...badly paced the miniseries is.

Like, it's incredibly well produced, tons of great vocal performances, oozing atmosphere. But I watched half of it again recently and it's the same shit over and over: Al mopes. Bad guys come to the alley, hurt some people, Al kills them. Homeless dudes want to kick him out of the alley, the one homeless dude insists he's "messed up" and "needs help," Sam and Twitch show up and are awesome for a minute, the mob boss grumbles, Clown scolds Al, and the episode ends.

Maybe the second half gets better. All I know is Wanda looks good as fuck.

>I don't know enough about Wildstorm

Jim Lee hired his childhood friend Brandon Choi to script WildCATs and a bunch of other early Wildstorm titles. He was a half-decent scripter (he was like a very, very poor man's Chris Claremont, dialogue-wise), though the fact that he's only ever worked on titles drawn/created/owned by Jim Lee sort of tells you that he probably would have never gotten hired as a comics writer without his connection with Jim Lee.

>comic
I really liked the world and the concept. The execution was another matter. Art was often pretty cool. I really liked the Violator race.
>Show
I'm still surprised my dad let me watch this on HBO. But I loved it. got it on DVD.
>Movie
Clown is really the only reason to watch it.

Read the first ~30 issues as a kid some 15-20 years ago and thought it was fucking awesome.
Tried rereading it recently, due to the fond memories, and realized Todd is an awful writer.
The issue (#10 iirc) he spent ranting about creator rights together with Cerebus was pretty entertaining though.

Saw the movie when it was fairly new. Only things I remember was that it was boring as tits, and Als cape looking amazing in the scene where he crashes down through a ceiling window.
The cape probably looks like shit now since CGI tends to get dated really fast.

Never seen the cartoon.

>The issue (#10 iirc) he spent ranting about creator rights together with Cerebus was pretty entertaining though.

That issue was actually written by Dave Sim and Todd only did the art.

One of my local stores started carrying Spawn back int he mid-late 90s (along with Knuckles the Echidna, oddly) I'd buy it on occasion, it was around the Urizen storyline.

Haven't read the comics (not a comic reader), haven't seen the movie (laziness to watch it and bad reviews), watched the 80's TV show a couple years ago. Thought it was really good, since apparently it "fit" the Spawn atmosphere. Plus, anything related to Hell already has a small interest from me, dunno why.

However, I don't remember much about it, so it may just be nostalgia goggles.

>the 90's TV show
Correction, not 80's, definitely looked and felt like it though.

Loved the comic when I was a teenager. The supporting characters are the parts that stick out the most to me. The old sage mentor, the angel lady, Wanda's kid, and the hobos were all great.
Movie was boring, all I remember is the Violator bouncing around in a cheerleader outfit and how horrible Malebolgia (I think that was his name) looked. Also I think there was a dog?
Keep meaning to give the series a shot, but it's low on my to-watch list.
My mum still collects the action figures.

BitD I really enjoyed the comic up until issue 130ish when it became evident they'd only let the story end once the money dried up.

Holy shit, the crossover with Cerebus was real? The basement I worked in's mold messed me up and I imagined reading a couple comics that weren't real down there.

I loved spawn. I only read it until issue 100 because that's when greg capullo left and I didn't like angel medina's art. Todd started using co-writers sometime during the series. I don't remember when but the story gets much better after issue 50. It does a much better job with plot and intrigue and spawn becomes a more complex character. Sam, twitch, and a few of the bums in spawn alley become really interesting as well. Capullos run on that book was legendary and I think pretty underrated. He never got coverage in wizard magazine because he supposedly got into a fight with the owner, Gareb, over some art that wasn't returned. Because of this, Capullo's popularity suffered a great deal.

Well that certainly explains what Cerebus was doing there.

What kind of 3rd world shithole doesn't have basic health and safety regulations?

>posting scans when glorious digital exists
Pretty sure it was TLK that did them a year or two ago.

>My mum still collects the action figures.
Aww, is there a reason, or...?

Wizard's ratings and top lists were always shit, because everybody from the top had to suck their dicks at some points. Funny thing is, Capullo's talent can't be fucked over by a rating system and he's basically more popular now than ever.

This is just what I have on-hand. And I was really just posting a few examples of pages I liked anyway. Thanks for the heads up about the scans tho

Looks to me like the very definition of 90's edge.

A damn shame, I was hoping you had the pages with the Urizen poem on them, or the explanation of just what in the hell it WAS.

True. Greg was making a lot of money from Todd anyways. It was still kind of infuriating to see people attribute his artwork to Todd tho. Especially when you consider that Greg was firing on all cylinders at this point in his career. 1 page in 8 hrs sometime 2 pages a day.

Also, wizard made artists like michael turner super popular and he couldn't hold a candle to capullo.

I might, let me check

This is it. I'll storytime this issue because the poem is scattered through it I think.

>I'll storytime this issue

This is the wrong issue actually. Pic related is the right one

Cut me some slack. I don't do this often.

Also captcha is being a bitch

nononononono, sorry, don't take that the wrong way.
That was the first image that came to mind, because I was thinking "Yeah I want to read this, this sounds fun." Which is why I chose a .gif without "Dis gon b gud" at the bottom.
Good luck in your storytime.

>The movie is schlock. They used CG way before they should have tried.
>The TV show didn't know how epic it wanted to be and ruins some characters that should have had more then just a monster of the week episode and it focuses too much on Spawn yelling "WAAANDAAAAAAAAAAAAAA"
>never actually read the comics aside from what I could get with action figures because 10 years old

Is the spawn comic worth reading. Or is just an edge fest? All I ever saw was one episode of the cartoon when I was a kid to young tio really be watching. A girl was "saved" by a pimp from a set up mugging after coming to the city and was forced in to prostitution but she turned out to be an angel or something even though she was still a whore

Haha it's all good.

Yeah, the comic isn't nearly as edgy as that show was. That show was awful.

A friend and I rented it from a video store when it first came out (way back when). got 10 minutes into it and took it right back.

It's 5 am here. I could storytime up to and including issue 100 if anybody is reading and wants to continue.

>McFarline doesn't know what maggots look like

I liked the HBO series, but a big reason for that is the stellar voicework

The second half focuses on shit outside of the alley.

This is the end of the issue

I'm reading, but it's also 3AM here and am not usually a comic reader. How long does each issue last?

Like 24 pages each but issue 100 is a lot longer.

You mean the cast of Gargoyles/Deep Space 9?
Yeah they saved it from inconsistent scripting, for sure.

And that was issue... 96? right?
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
That one user did want the Poem, I'd go with finishing the Poem (for now).

Massachusetts. It was actually a nice place to work. I miss it.

Issue 96 was the poem. I'm just gonna keep going until I fall asleep. Issue 100 is only 32 pages anyway.

Figured out how to speed the posting process up.

hehehehehe

It won't let me post page 19 because I posted it already. It's here

22 was a duplicate as well. Sorry. You can find page 22 here

Page 1 is gonna be another duplicate

Page 1 is here

Shits about to get real

Angela looks like waifu material on page 20.

Buckle up

>Now Cyan, I want you to describe Spawn without saying what he looks like, what kinda costume he wears, or what his profession is...

If I recall correctly, they both know who spawn is. Spawn used to visit Granny Blake pretty regularly.

Some variant covers

And here I thought LWA2 was original with their "Giant buried in the ground with the fingers poking out" monument.

Oh shit! Wasn't Malebalogna supposed to be the Big Bad at the end/during of the TV show, but all of a sudden it just ended in the middle of a plot-line?

I've never seen more than one episode of the show. He started out as the main bad guy in the comic. He gives spawn his power and and grants him his wish of coming back to earth.

I should have put a spoiler on that page. Rookie mistake

>666
Yeah, I distinctly remember his silhouette
Short, stocky green dude. Giant mouth with disproportionate jaws. Horn on top of is head?

I don't remember what his beef was with Spawn, but I'm pretty sure the show ended during the rising action with his plot-line. Either they didn't want to animate filler or HBO just didn't like the ratings, I dunno why Spawn ended. However, I do distinctly remember Malebalogna being a big influence towards the end of the show.

This page is beautiful.

The End

Malbolgia was a devil. One of I think 7 or 11. However many levels of hell there are in Dante's Inferno, that's how many devils there are and Malbolgia is supposed to be above all the rest. Spawn was a great soldier and was sent to hell for basically being a great murderer. Malbolgia gives Spawn his powers and grants him his wish to return to earth to see his wife again. Malbolgia then proceeds to manipulate and torment him while he is on earth. It's revealed at some point that malbolgia wants him to lead hell's army.

That's off the top of my head so some stuff might be off. He started out as a very pivotal figure when the comic starts. You see him in almost every issue. The story fills out a bit and he kind of fades into the background while the writers try and figure out what they are doing.

Top left!! That's exactly what I remember, yeah that's probably Malebalogna in the show.
9 circles of Hell, so Malebologna would be second to Satan.
>Dante's Inferno
Sooooo good, such a great depiction of Hell, really need to reread that poem. Haven't finished the game yet.

I do remember Malebalogna being there at the beginning PLUS the end, so I think the show did want to explore their relationship. However, due to whatever reason the show was cut short and I think it ended with a pseudo-cliffhanger. Like, it tried wrapping up stuff, but the writers kept it open in case the show was ever green-lit again.

The guy in the top left of that pic is the Violater not Malebolgia. The Violator is basically a minion or henchmen for Malebolgia. He has the human form of a short, fat guy with a clown face. I think the Violators deal is that he is jealous of Spawn. Spawn is an outsider but gets to be a "chosen one". Violator thinks that only those born in hell should get the power and responsibilities that Spawn has. So they fight quite a bit.

>9 circles of Hell, so Malebologna would be second to Satan

Speak of the devil. I think that's satan that shows up at the end here . He even says that Malbolgia was the leader of the eighth circle of hell here

Ooooohhhhh that might've been why he was so pissed with Spawn and with him not following orders n'shit. That makes sense, since I don't remember Malebalogna's flowing mane or him being A LOT taller than Spawn in the show; and I think he kept talking about his "Master" has plans n'shit for Spawn so he needs to get with the program or his "Master" will deal with him or some shit.
The memories are very wishy washy, and I apologize. It's been a while since I watched the show, and evidently it didn't leave too big of a lasting impression.

capullo is a gift to the industry, anybody know what he is up to nowadays now that he finished his run on batman?

youtube.com/watch?v=IJaRfoWHAAw
Fuck it, this thread has got me in the mood and I have to remember this shit.

I enjoy it although Spawn is an art book in disguise of a comic book. The story is just an excuse for the visual spectacle.

I'm surprised Jim didn't bring him along to DC with him

Image series with Millar.

That's probably one of the better Liefeld drawings I've seen. Though I see Todd's name there too, so maybe he saved it?