Action Comics #964 Storytime

"Superman, Meet Clark Kent" part two!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=WJB_BDG1d8s
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Man, these are great colors.

Covers. Shit.

There goes the Prime Time theory. Though I wonder if the Sand Superman theory will hold for the upcoming Annual (Annual's the one with Swamp Thing right?)

>Superman's Pal Clark Kent
this is sorta hilarious. I really wish Jurgens has a masterplan here or something because you know I'm not buying those memories

Shit man this is a great cover.

>perhaps more so
Dick move.

Man, I hate that I like this series so much.
Tradewaiting, but might start buying this arc if Humphries holds up.

Detective Comics: Hal Jordan/GLC:

Darkseid -again-?

is this supposed to be a callback to something or is this new?

Still a baby

>this man is every bit the Superman -- perhaps more so -- than the one we knew.
Seriously, Jurgens?

is this dude people noticed the last issue being shady? didn't we also see him in detective?

How long until one of you Superbro faggots break in to the industry and finally redeem him back with all this trash talk everyone is giving him?

I'm really hating the Poser tracing that's become more common these days.

It looks like Apokalips, what with the firepits

jurgens is trying his very best to tarnish everything in superbro's legacy and it's sadly working.

Just remember that no matter how hard they try to run things back, New 52 happened, and no amount of mishmashing elements of Silver Age, Post-COIE, and Pre-Flashpoint Superman characterization can undo that.

Well, the only reason they are doing this is because n52 superman bombed so hard with people, and so far this one is doing exceptionally well.

So, he's not wrong.

Sales don't mean shit for the purposes of this discussion. New52 Superman was Superman. Period. Post Crisis Superman isn't "more" Superman than him.

It's not about just sales. Fans were pulling away from the books and the character, and everything they kept trying to do with him wasn't working.

They did this switch for a reason, and it shows that it resonates more with the readers.

>there's a little more depth to this man

>Fans were pulling away from the books
In other words, sales.
The loss in numbers are attributed to a variety of factors, namely the overall poor sales of DCYou. None of this means that New52 Superman was any less of a Superman. What currently "resonates" with readers is Rebirth.

This second arc has been great.

You understand that when fans drop books there's a reason behind it, right?

Have you just been thinking all these "superman is back!" Posts about this new run have come out of nowhere?

Clark is acting like too big of a dork, he was a pretty outgoing guy in New52, and in any case I don't think he was this dorky even on the Donner movies or Johns' run.

Wait wasn't this issue about Lois Lane? Or is t the next issue of Superman?

He was superman. A take of superman.

In terms of archetypal superman, this version is a more on the spot representation.

That's not really arguable.

The older superman is stronger, it's a fact. No need to shit yourself about it.

>he was a pretty outgoing guy in New52

He wasn't. He was more reserved and depressed. The only times i remember him going out was when Cat Grant forced him into going out with her with the excuse of work and when he went into dates with WW.

L-RON FUCKING LIVES! THE ORIGINAL L-RON!

Well Manhattan has been able to warp reality so creating a human with memories shouldn't be to hard. I never felt that this Clark would be anything beyond that. Who Superbro is is the mystery

>You understand that when fans drop books there's a reason behind it, right?
I already explained the reason.

>Have you just been thinking all these "superman is back!" Posts about this new run have come out of nowhere?
A very loud minority of posters who still cry about the lack of red trunks aren't in a position to tell me what Superman is and is not.

>A take of superman.
Honestly just fuck off.

Fuuuuuucck you Jurgens! I'm with the Superbro guys now. He's getting shafted hard

>just fuck off

Look, you are grossly overreacting to this.

New 52 superman was a rebooted new take on superman. Being childish won't change that.

the real superman was the one from 1938, and superbro was more like him that any other.

Tons of the older readers dropped the books because Nu52 Superman wasn't "their Superman".
Tons of people dropped the books because they didn't liked the new take after giving it a chance.
Others dropped because of WW relationship, constant cross-over or the almost constant make-overs.

Either way Nu52 Superman wasn't well-received.

He thinks that Jurgens and everyone else is saying he was never superman when no one was saying that. Not even jurgens.

SuperLex now rules Apokolips and Darkseid is a baby

>and superbro was more like him that any other.

Come on, man. Grant Morrison did the whole "Bruce Springteen" shit for just 3 fucking issues. Greg Pak, sure, did more with a few arcs here and there that took place in the past during that era.

But the whole "social crusader" take was very brief.

Your stance is built on the idea that Post Crisis Superman is the one and only interpretation of the character. It's not. There are many variations. All equally valid, no matter how "archtypal" they are in your mind.

Don't speak for me. My point is pretty clear to anyone with reading comprehension.

I started reading Superman with n52 and even when I read older superman stories, not a single one got me hooked so much like superbro.

>and even when I read older superman stories, not a single one got me hooked so much like superbro.

Seriously? I doubt it.

What the actual fuck, damn it? These memories MUST be fake, because this guy just went from nowhere after Superbro's death.
Superbro cane be pre-new52 Earth-one Superman or Prime, but this guys is just some human with fake Clark Kent memories and look. WTF.

>Tons
Yeah sure.

You listing story arcs simply backs up my argument that it wasn't Superman himself, but the editorial decisions of the DC line that drove readers away.

You literally just told someone that you were interpreting their post in a way that confirms exactly what I just said about your position on this.

I don't think that's what he's saying. I think you're delusional if you think Jurgens isn't shitting on Superbro.

>Perhaps more so

Where does that come from? One conversation and a fucked up fight with Doomsday. It's shit writing from a hack

Look. I have no idea what you're referring to. If you want me to be more clear, I can try speaking in a third grade level for you.

Tons, yes. Superbro comics didn't sold well and people complained about how he behaved, how he looked, how his supporting cast behaved, who he was dating, how his comics always cross-over, how there was always a wild change and so on. Constant complaints.

Oz? He's with cloak.

It's the blonde villain dude from Geoff John's short New52 run. He seems to be important like Mr Oz, because he appears in the Rebirth special.

I said he was a take on superman. Current superman is a take on superman.

I never said he wasn't superman at all or that there's only one true superman, just that there is a long established image of superman and this current one conforms to it more. Calm down.

Stop inventing arguments when you have no evidence. Cred Forums is not evidence.

DC kept changing the book up because it was constantly floundering.

Note that they didn't fuck with the books that people were fine with nearly as much?

The guy who grew up in another dimension? I thought it might have been him, but I don't think it is.

New52 Supes had a lot of cool arcs, not surprised a newbie would just stick with those.

Not him and while I agree with you that Superdad conforms more to the Superman we all love I do agree with the Superbro guys that he's getting shat on

While Superdad was hiding on the farm Superbro was out saving the world. This whole thing is leaving a bad taste in my mouth

I cried 3x rereading Savage Dawn + Final days of superman.

Its not even a matter of MUH SUPERMAN, its all about character development and empathy, superbro was always attacked in this universe, but he never gave up, he was always there, unlike the superdad that made his choice of protecting his family and not everyone.

A hero must be for EVERYONE, not one, not two, and we know that superbro would never ever chose one or two over other people.

You tell someone they are claiming that there's only one type of superman and then turn and tell me that you aren't acting like you see everyone as arguing that new 52 superman was never superman.

This is ridiculous. You are way too emotional over this.

>he appears in the Rebirth special.

Not only that OZ debuted in the same arc as Ulysses. But from the way Oz talked in that arc he seems like he was supposed to be a different character at first

Did you read Lois and clark? He was constantly doing super hero work in secret, and working to prevent future disasters due to their pseudo temporal displacement.

You are wrong.

>I never said he wasn't superman at all
I never implied that's what you said.

>there is a long established image of superman
Yeah. One that isn't a dad.

Stop telling me to calm down, by the way. I have a right to voice my disagreement.

And where was he when the villians were tearing apart the earth in forever Evil? Or when Atlantis attacked and killed thousands? Or when Darkseid was kicking the shit out of the league and he stood there and did nothing?

I don't care how many flags he posses with. This guy isn't Superman. He's a coward

I'm not inventing arguments.

People back then would constantly complain about the "Superbro" comics.

Why kill the Kents?
Why is he wearing armor?
Why is he so violent?
Why is Lois such a cunt?
Why is he dating Wonder Woman?
When will he date Lois or Lana?
I hope he never dates Lois, why is she such a cunt?
Why the constant cross-over?
Why hasn't he bonded with Supergirl yet?
Wait, he lost his powers? Wasn't he Doomsday weeks ago?
When will he dump Wonder Woman?

>Your stance is built on the idea that Post Crisis Superman is the one and only interpretation of the character

Right there. I didn't insist on that at all. You are making totally wild leaps with people's posts.

Also, you get your point across better when you aren't flying off the handle dispraportionately and looking ridiculous.

>"Superman" skulked around in the shadows instead of helping where he was needed

This idea of what he was doing during big crisis events was also covered in Lois and clark.

>I didn't read the story setting up this character, but I sure do like to sit post about it.

Post the page then. Because I can post the page of him standing there when Darkseid attacked. Think about that. Superman just standing there when fucking Darkseid has come to Earth. What kind of dumb shit was that?

uhhhhhhh.... Isn't a guy in a baseball cap the same guy from Amalgam?

Don't tell me that's fucking Axel Asher

But I did read it. Bearminimumman is a disgrace to the S

You can keep pointing fingers all you like. My point is simple. New52 Superman is not less of a Superman than Post Crisis Superman. This talk of archetypes is a useless endeavor.

You also need to stop criticizing the way I post.

Final Days of Superman was fucking awful.

Jesus Christ. I get Savage Dawn or even that one with the monsters in Smallville, but Last Days of Superman?

Come on, man.

>Its not even a matter of MUH SUPERMAN, its all about character development and empathy, superbro was always attacked in this universe, but he never gave up, he was always there

That's how Superman always is, you casual, including pre-52 Superman.

Except for Morrison's action comics, Superman hasn't had a GOAT run since COIE happened. Most of his great stories came as limited series, elseworlds or animated series tie ins. So I can see why the other user said so.

If you read the words on the page where Darkseid attacked, you'd know he was literally about to step in if he didn't think the heroes can handle it and why he was holding back. Comics have words, too. Not just pictures.

There's also been reference that he was off world at times.

In this very storytime even.

>That's how Superman always is

No. The vast majority of the time the world is sucking Superman's balls

>Except for Morrison's action comics, Superman hasn't had a GOAT run since COIE happened.

You couldn't be more wrong, and Morrison's AC run was mediocre as hell. Easily the weakest work he has ever done on Superman.

All-Star Superman, JLA and so on are much, much better.

>About to step in

It should never have even been a choice. As soon as he heard the first boom tube crack open he should have been out there. Some Superman

>He was conveniently off world when all the bad stuff happened!

Jurgens is such a hack

But muh One Year Later.

>tells people to stop pointing fingers by highlighting what you said that they replied to, after you claim you didn't say it.

You are ridiculous.

>if he didn't think the heroes can handle it

I've gotta say man when you're dealing with Darkseid you don't wait and see. It seems like a weak excuse

Busiek's run > Morrison's run.

Oh fuck off, don't pretend reading whimsical Silver Age stuff is better than Busiek or Johns.

When you are right there and can step in instantaneously, you have a lot more options than you'd think.

Well I have to admit, if my first exposure to Pre52 Superman was the Lois and Clark mini, I wouldn't like him either. That's absolute bullshit he didn't intervene for five years, but suddenly got his bug up his ass when Luthor put on the cape.

However, I HAVE read pre52 Supes and can just recognize that characterization as the shit writing it was.

It's Darkseid. I don't have to say anything other than that

The fact that he said Morrison's AC run was the best Superman story in what, 30 years? Is worse.

Greg Pak recent AC run was better than Morrison's, even with the constant cross-overs.

Did the JL fail against Darkseid? No, so there was no reason;

Is this what superman threads are going to be now?

Angry superbro fans trolling people?

I think that's a problem people are having. The Superman Jurgens has written from Lois and Clark to now is shit and him taking a pop and New52 Superman through "Clark" has pissed a few people off. I'm glad to have my Superman back (In the far Superior Superman title) but this isn't sitting right with me either

>animated series tie ins
Seriously? When I see people acting so dogmatic over Morrison (who I love, by the way), is this the caliber of reader we're dealing with? DCAU shits?

Oh fuck off. Superman could not have known that and Darkseid could have omegabeamed them at any time. It's shit writing and out of character. Why are you defending it so hard because it's "Your" Superman or something?

gonna sleep soon, gonna try to answer some,

>Why kill the Kents?
Superbro already have all the lessons from his parents, I think its better that they are already dead because he must find the answer of his problems himself, not going for mama's skirt after everything, for me its more mature this way.

>Why is he wearing armor?
This version of Krypton is different from post-crisis, its way more militaristic than the toga wearing selfish guys from before. Its natural to use armor.

>Why is he so violent?
He isnt, if you read the first 6 issues of both AC and Superman, he was mostly being attacked in almost every page by others. He is pretty hot headed.

>Why is Lois such a cunt?
She always was a turbocunt, ever since her first appearance in 1938, she lied, manipulated and told clark to fuck off so many times.

>Why is he dating Wonder Woman?
Superbro isnt a person who confides in others so much, he is much a loner, when he mets Diana, he start to trust her, unlike Lana, of course, but his relationship is more based on trust than love.

>When will he date Lois or Lana?
Lana IS THE BEST GIRL.

>I hope he never dates Lois, why is she such a cunt?
she is a cunt and was controlled by brainiac.

>Why the constant cross-over?
Helps sales, but Superbro isnt even the more fucked, Superboy was butchered by crossovers and it was not even lobdell fault of the take on the character, it was the editorial.

>Why hasn't he bonded with Supergirl yet?
He has, but she was an angsty teen, I liked this anger inside her, but at the end of her run, she mellowed a bit, then HURR REBIRTH LETS ERASE HER PERSONALITY AND MAKE LIKE TV SHOW.

>Wait, he lost his powers? Wasn't he Doomsday weeks ago?
Yes he did, and it was fucking awesome.

>When will he dump Wonder Woman?
end of the run, its really sad, read the last annual and SMWW #25, for me its one of the best stories of Superbro and how he perceives the world.

>Glorified Man Cave

Shhhhh, you'll ruin the mystique, Kent.

It's not really trolling when they're in the right

It's beyond obvious that they are ragging on all this to troll now.

Just don't feed them.

>Oh fuck off. Superman could not have known that and Darkseid could have omegabeamed them at any time.

He was right there watching the fight and ready to step in at any moment. Are you bad-mouthing Superman for having faith in another Superman? Because if so, that's crazy.

No I'm bad mouthing Superman for not stepping in before Superman showed up. You don't wait and see with Darkseid, that's crazy.

No it wasnt, its a different kind of death story, unlike the post crisis that is plot driven, this one is much character driven and the author did an amazing job at putting two characters: the real superbro and the fake superbro who acted like the readers that didnt like him perceived him, and at the end it shows how superbro evolved as a character ever since n52.

How he deals with his death is way better than: punching doomsdays until you drop dead and they start crying.

You assume he was there before the justice league?

I can't believe you think it's in character for Superman to not fly in and stop Darkseid as soon as he spotted him. The league winning is completely irrelevant because he couldn't have known that

>All Star Superman
>run
>Post crisis Superman

I liked one year later Johns' run, but his plan was cut short and it went to shit once he left the title.

>Implying Johns didn't steal most of his Superman ideas from whimsical silver age stuff.

I wasn't even a fan of the cartoon, but both Scott McCloud's and Millar's run on Superman adventures was the shit. You have shit taste if you hate it.

>Why kill the Kents?
>Why is he wearing armor?
>Why is he so violent?
>When will he date Lois or Lana?
>Why hasn't he bonded with Supergirl yet?
All of this can be summed up with "To make him more like Batman so that we can attract the people buying those books.

Does people really arguing about this?
Post-CoIE Superman > any other Superman anytime. Superbro is cool, but he was total jerk in his early years.

The league was fighting him before Superman showed up. He was watching the fight before Superbro joined the fight. I'm not assuming anything

Angry shitposters gonna shitpost.

Dude... DUDE! You shouldn't have to respond all the complaints i listed, because those aren't my genuine complaints, but shit i heard people talk about for the last 5 years regarding the reboot. So you going one by one to defend whatever happened is really weird.

Also...

>When will he dump Wonder Woman?
>end of the run, its really sad, read the last annual and SMWW #25, for me its one of the best stories of Superbro and how he perceives the world.

I can't believe that you're recommending Peter Tomasi's shit-writing on SM/WW as the best stories the rebooted Superman had. ARE YOU TROLLING ME? Fuck, man, i've no attachment in this fight, but i actually got offended by this and i'm not even a Superbro fan. THE HELL?

Why not something out of Morrison's run? Some of Shelly's back-ups? Or Greg Pak's runs?

I just don't like Jurgens taking cheap shots at Superman

Jesus, the level of double think on ya, to worship Morrison and say Johns "steals" from the Silver Age. You're a pseud, trying really, really hard on a mongolian anonymous imageboard.

Scott McCloud is a dumb hack.

>No it wasnt, its a different kind of death story, unlike the post crisis that is plot driven, this one is much character driven and the author did an amazing job

PETER TOMASI'S LAST DAYS OF SUPERMAN WAS A TERRIBLE CROSS-OVER, HOLY HELL, I'M BEING TROLLED!

Fuck you, i'll take Lobdell's H'Ell on Earth over that shit. I least i don't have to deal with SM/WW and all the convoluted bullshit.

Stepping in and turning something from circling the drain to a top seller loved by most fans will generate some hubris.

Except he doesn't.

Yes he does

I clearly said in my post that I liked Johns' run, but he left in the middle for the book to go to shit.

>Scott McCloud is a dumb hack
I don't need to bother with someone with taste so shit.

>Attributing all that to Jurgens

That's still Rebirth hype and you're pretending like everything wasn't circling the drain (Except Batman) before the relaunch. Wasn't everybody shitting on Jurgens Action a few weeks ago. The good Superman book is Superman

The book is consistently selling well, beating out most other DC titles, and gets overwhelmingly positive feedback.

You don't like jurgens, but don't let it make you an idiot.

because tomasi even when he wasnt as good as soule, could do a character view of superbro that is much of the truth how much he is a hero, a loner, and even then, he still wishes for something that he will never have.

This page for me is really strong and reflects superbro well.

He's right though. Cred Forums hated the first arc and talked shit about it constantly. Quality rarely has anything to do with sales. Just look at Justice League right now

Sequential art wanking is the shittiest, most embarassing attempt to look sophisticated with your funny books, even Fantagraphics guys have the good sense to call them comic.

If you can't taste the shittiness, the dread, the utter lack of imagination, the terrible technique, in stuff like Zot or The Sculptor, just get a new hobby.

Just know that "babby's first serious comics" bullshit like Making Comics will impress no one with semi-decent taste.

Take a shower, read some euro comics, get a clue.

>Moving the goalpost

If anyone has earned a ball sucking it's Superman.
If I wanted a retarded civilian population that's constantly damning their protectors I'd go back to reading Marvel.

>Kenny Braverman

Has Conduit shown up in New52?

Could he just be from a third universe with similarities to preFlashpoint? Didn't Ultraman start Human in some origins?

But you see, stupid normies are buying Justice League because of brand name. Readers of distinguished taste, such as myself, are buying Superman.

Is that a miniature version of the fucking Tyrant Sun?

>who still cry about the lack of red trunks
The red trunks are needed to break up the costume's blueness. The belt doesn't do that.

I don't get these eurofags. Most of euro comics are mediocre. Stuff like understanding comics and sculptor are better than your average euro comic.

I think he deserved some time off constant heroing to be a dad, user.

What the fuck is this?

What the fuck? Fuck you Jurgens.

Is Superman cursed or something? We never get to read him without some stupid gimmick that goes nowhere, and Jurgens mediocre writing doesn't help this book.

That cap bearded must be another Lex Luthor

Yeah, I was about to say. The variant in particular surprised me, which is saying something given how strong the regular cover is.

Rebirth in general has had some spectacular covers.

haters gonna haters....
wonderful edition!!!!!

>can't do anything to expose jon and lois
but don't you use an entirely different identity in that universe Clark?

>perhaps more so
That was a bit too much don't you think? That's pretty much taking a shit on people that liked superbro.

Nope, he gave it all away in Justice League #52.

This is the worst Rebirth book featuring Superman and I include Justice League in that list. Dan Jurgens needs to fuck off from Big Blue forever.

Thanks

Fucking kek.

As they're flying, Superman is carrying Clark by his broken left arm. What a dick.

im running under the assumption that that is super-apocalypse under the rule of king superman and the blond guy is glorious godfrey as played by chris hemsworth

i am probably wrong

I appreciate the mystery behind "Clark", with him being human and apparently knowing and collaborated with the New52 Supes, but this story needs to move faster.

>I cried 3x rereading Savage Dawn + Final days of superman.
lol what a faggot

I really have never seen the problem with JL. Like at all. Explain the disdain for it anons of Cred Forums because I'm struggling to understand it fully

Translation: Superho is a edgelord sadsack who will never breed, grow up, and learn of additional responsibilities

No wonder you like him. He's you.

Poor pacing, characterization, and plot construction. So far the foes have been two Starro-likes and a bunch of ancient power engine gestalt earth guardian... things. It's a muddled mess and it feels directionless. For being the sort of highest rung of DC books, it is frustratingly inadequate.

I'll give you the characterisation, and the ending to the first arc seemed a bit flakey what with Arthur and the "magic crystals", but I don't think the pacing was that off, I had a blast with the rest of it. Didn't feel like it dragged. I have a high tolerance for mediocrity though

REALLY nice cover.

Also a solid cover.

You would have to if you're gonna read most capeshit, especially from Jurgens here in Action Comics #964.

It's double Jurgens today, with Batman Beyond out today too. I checked it out, and it remains the only Bat-Book I don't pick up...and that sucks

Where is this version of the Fortress of Solitude if it's not in Antarctica?

This dude is way too defensive for him to be not lying.

Do people still know superman is Clark kent?

I think the article in this issue was meant to be the final nail in that

dis nigga fucking lying you can fucking tell

Too perfect of a reaction image.

This page is really poorly placed in the overall issue. It just seems like an abrupt interruption for the rest of the story up to this point.

What in the actual fuck?

What in the living fuck?

This dude is SO fucking defensive that you KNOW there's more to this than he says.

The infamous Gregory Helmes titantron?

youtube.com/watch?v=WJB_BDG1d8s

I hate how they're neglecting Jimmy Olsen so much since the reboot.

>carrying him by only his arm

I'm wondering if it's somebody fucking with things. Like drawing on alternate realities or some shit, or just plain old magic and/or reality warping.

I HATED New 52 Superman, but they're REALLY trying hard to throw the character under a bus here.

What the fuck am I looking at?

nigga is dat sum darkseid

Yeah, if DCYou hadn't flopped they never would have done Rebirth.

It was never about "fixing Superman", it was about righting the ship in general.

>thread turns into a flamewar over New 52 Superman

This is already better than the first arc.

Dude's gonna be a clone with implanted memories built by Geneticron.

>no Superbro statue
Isn't this the same writer that put that in?

Yeah, what I'm most wondering is how the "Orb of Revelation" only shows true memories though. Do "true memories" mean things that actually happened, or that the person believes happened and aren't overwriting some other memory? Because if the clone was a blank slate, then any memories implanted wouldn't overwrite anything or modify anything.

Clearly what the subject believes. Superman says as much

Kind of a shitty orb then, since the definition of a half-decent memory modification is that the subject shouldn't fucking realise that their memory is altered. If they don't believe the memories are true, it makes a shitty attempt.

New 52 Superman was too young. He acted too young. Superman is a father figure. He's an old soul, and has been one since the Silver Age at least. Younger versions of Superman can work in other stories, but the primary version of Superman needs to be a mature adult.

>everyone staring at their little handheld glowing devices.

Sheesh. What sort of sick dystopian world is this? Stupid grimdark DC. Thank goodness reality is nothing like that.

That's point, a cliffhanger right before cut to commercial

wouldn't that be great
except we know what happened to axel

SUPERBRO DIED SO YOU COULD EXIST. What is this shit? Fuck Jurgens and his biased.

>If I wanted a retarded civilian population that's constantly damning their protectors I'd go back to reading Marvel.
jesus christ this
Rebirth was DC finally realizing "we want the Marvel sudience" was a huge mistake

Yes a Superman that didnt help out in any of the big events is clearly better than the one that did.

It's mentioned that he was usually in the shadows, not completely on the sidelines.

>I'm wondering if it's somebody fucking with things. Like drawing on alternate realities or some shit, or just plain old magic and/or reality warping.

At the highest level there isn't really a difference, it's just changing things from how they are to how you want them to be.

Sand Superman?

Either 1) Jurgens is nostalgic and wrote that because it's "the version that he used to write" and he's only comfortable writing that specific version, so he's glad that he's back, or 2) editorial told him to put that in there just to get some face heat for old school Superman.

70s Superman story arc.

OLD AS FUCK fan theory that Sand Superman replaced Superman decades ago and took on his memories, so he only THINKS he's the real Superman, ala Swamp Thing absorbing Alec Holland's memories in Alan Moore's Swamp Thing.

Contrarians you mean

BTW, not the guy you were asking, but that's what the character was. I don't know if Cred Forums has any theories about how that relates to Rebirth or not.

>Superman is a father figure.

Yeah, bullshit. I love how you guys take your opinions, shine them up, put them on a stand and say "This here's a fact."

Superman is more or less "how 5 year olds see their dad".

Huh. Would explain some of the shit Oz said in the Rebirth special.

This is what I was originally expecting, but I should've just wrapped that story up earlier, in that case. There has to be a greater mystery in place.

I didn't notice Ulysses in the Rebirth special, but if the man we see in this issue is the same guy, then there's gotta be something bigger coming. The next arc is about Superman and Lex fighting Godslayer on his home world, and it's teased in this issue using what looks like Ulysses and some big flaming Superman planet.

Could it be that Oz recognized Ulysses as Godslayer? His home world that blew up has been reconstructed in some way?

Finally we start to learn what the fuck is up with beard man.

Why are people mad about this? Post-Crisis Supes has been active for a shit ton longer time than N52 Supes, of course he seems "more" like Superman.

I dont know. Superman 52 did benchpress with Planet Earth for days and never tired. He also had that Vegeta explosion attack.

Current Superman is not the Silver Age one is the pre flashpoint one, and I dont think he was as strong as max power new 52

>Superman is more or less "how 5 year olds see their dad".

He can be. That's not baked into the DNA of the character though. They published the adventures of teen Clark for years and there was nothing dad about him.

And even if it was baked into the dna, now's a good as a time as any to cut that shit out.

>Why are people mad about this?

>of course he seems "more" like Superman.

Why are people mad about them constantly comparing the new guy favorably to the character that just died.

Gee, It's a mystery

I guess is back to basics with the statues thing, it use to had the el parets, the kents and super bro.

Why would they ever put anything flattering about the recently deceased in any superman book? That's just crazy talk.

>They published the adventures of teen Clark for years and there was nothing dad about him.

Yeah, as SuperBOY.

>Yeah, as SuperBOY.

Was it the same guy? Did it work? Was there anything father about him?

>When he's a 10 year old boy he wasn't a father figure so it's ok to have him as a manchild at 30! What's 20 years?

didn't he did that on superbro's fortress?

>he wasn't a father figure so it's ok to have him as a manchild at 30! What's 20 years?

I love how everything's black or white with you guys. If he isn't your dad he's a kid. lol.

There's thousands of stories about Clark being as far from a dad as you can get but you're going to tell everyone that it can only be one way, the way you like it.

>When he's a 10 year old boy

He was a teenager for a lot of it. A young man for others. There's like two television series about him being a young man. A third about him being a young professional.

You only exaggerate the alternative because you know your argument is false on its face. Getting madder won't make you right-er.

>All equally valid

Not everyone shares your opinion. You seem to have a problem dealing with this aspect of reality.

>You seem to have a problem dealing with this aspect of reality.

Wait, which guy of you two is on the "not muh" side again?

bump

>There's thousands of stories about Clark being as far from a dad as you can get but you're going to tell everyone that it can only be one way, the way you like it.
If there's "thousands of stories" then there's no need for you to throw a bitchfit over writers choosing to do something different is there?

He's more in-line with what people think Superman should be. Married to Lois, has a secret ID, all that shit.

>All those Superbrofags throwing temper tantrums saying Superdad was going to """"steal"""" Superbro's job
Kek. You fags are so easily baited.

>there's no need for you to throw a bitchfit over writers choosing to do something different is there?

I'm not the one who sounds mad. The other guy said Clark was a father figure, I disagreed. Just because one guy is pissing his pants and tossing things around the room doesn't make the other guy mad too.

lol

>Hasn't happened yet, won't happen.

Dude, if you think Superdad won't be sucking Perry's dick over at the Daily Planet next month "Yes boss, no boss, right away boss." you're delusional.

This is but step one. We don't know how many steps there are going to be, but the last step is this the status quo being duct taped back together. Just like it was in the 70s, 80's, 90's...

Isn't this what Lex turned Apokolips into?

>He's more in-line with what people think Superman should be.

Superman was never a father figure and he's sure as fuck never been an actual dad. (outside some random one offs.) You know this. This is much less a return to norm and far more a return to ship. The kid is a pin in this to make sure it never gets undone again.

I hate to see this. All that old shit's coming back around to wrap the character into the same old situations. "Oh, no, there's a volcano blowing in Peru, how am I going to get out of this meeting with Perry?" Because comics guys can't handle things not being the exact way it was when they first walked into a comic shop.

I don't think that Lex put the S shield onto Apokolips. Yet.

He's still not Clark Kent working at the Daily Planet and there's no easy way to put him back there, barring another rewriting of reality.

I was about to go 'lol sameface' but I forgot they literally have the same face. That being said they're drawn ugly.

Clark is alternative universe where Clark is human

>HATED New 52 Superman,

Y

he literally has said many times that he is weaker than superbro

>ITT: People assblasted over Jurgens taking minor potshots at Superbro.

I mean...Superbro is already dead and replaced. I'd imagine THAT is the more pressing concern and more vicious insult.

>I'd imagine THAT is the more pressing concern and more vicious insult.
It's not. This change is as permanent as Whor is to Thor. If you honestly think Superbro will stay dead, you have brain damage.

>He's still not Clark Kent working at the Daily Planet and there's no easy way to put him back there, barring another rewriting of reality.

Are you guys really this shit and being able to tell where a story is going?

It's plausible that the new Clark Kent could die/be removed, but Jurgensman can't take his place unless he either keeps his marriage and son completely hidden or reveals that he was married to a Lois Lane lookalike with a kid to the public.

bumping for others.

>can't take his place unless he either keeps his marriage and son completely hidden or reveals that he was married to a Lois Lane lookalike with a kid to the public.

What's adoption, user?

Thanks, OP.

Saying "I'm Clark Kent" opens up a whole can of worms. He has to explain how and where he came from

Superman has been a father-figure since at least the 60s, if not the 50s, brah. The young hothead from the 40s who bullied tycoons, wife-beaters, and despots was a brief, shining moment that couldn't be brought back.

He literally knows this guy is him but without the powers, yet instantly dustrusts him. Superdad is a pussy.

No, he hasn't.

>Oh daddy

How is he a more on spot representation? He's done barely anything yet.

And yet Superman has been a dad. This archetype shit? The Superman is everyone's dad stuff? They've pulled it right out of their ass bacause they think they're getting what they cried so hard for.

Er never been a dad. Posting on this ipad blows.

I mean if he really is Prime then he technically isn't lying.

Yes he has.

Superdad's supporting cast began and ended with Lois. His relationship with Jimmy Olsen was basically an informed trait, so it's only natural he'd disappear when this portrayal returns. Also honestly it's better than an alternative where Jimmy immediately drops his dead best friend for some new hotness and you know that's what is going to happen when he does come back into the picture.

Did this take place in a comic pre nu 52? If so noice call back

The current story arc is obviously meant to put him there.

What the bullshit are you talking about?

>What the bullshit are you talking about?

These superdad dudes are delusional. They think that superdad is so right that they've convinced themselves that Superman has always been a dad. It's frigging weird.

>red boots

No

This feels extremely Silver Age.

ok I get it. people want it to see the old superman and they get it. what piss me off is how they are doing everything they can to destroy new52 superman memory. like common man, they are beaten a dead horse. T he guys is dead.

>who is Chris Kent
>who is Lana Lang
>who are Jonathan and Martha Kent
>who is any Superman Family member (yes, I don't give a fuck if Supergirl and Connor had their own adventures, they are inherently secondary Supes characters)

Chris was around for such a short blip of time and was mostly busy with his own plot. Lana also was a ghost most of the time, Jonathan Kent was a non-entity before he died in Post-Crisis too, and Supergirl and Connor were tertiary cast members in Superman's books at most. Jimmy, Perry, Pete, Lana, Maggie, Dan, Emil, John Henry, they all EXISTED but they had severely diminished roles (even the ones that were introduced Post-Crisis) and almost all of Superman's meaningful interactions were with Lois, Batman, or admittedly Martha Kent. Superman's cast was large but his supporting cast was incredibly small. Hell, when was the last time Jimmy had played an important role to Superman Pre-Flashpoint? The only good story with him I can think of for YEARS was an Action Comics arc where Superman never actually shows up.

Would you guys say Action is better than Superman?

What? God no. How is that even a question?

Whether Chris had a short shelf life or not, it's clear he established his dynamic with Lois and Clark before the Nightwing/Flamebird nonsense. He was his own character before he was eliminated.

Kara and Connor, tertiary? How? Kara worked with Supes as much as you'd expect. They had a blatant mentor/student relationship. Connor less so, but his connections to Supes were pretty well-emphasized too.

You make a good point about Jonathan, Supes does interact with his mother more, but a lot of writers essentially treat the two of them as a unit. Which isn't a bad thing, because they're supposed to be ideal parents.

Lana at LEAST had the short LexCorp angle Post-Crisis, which is more of an impact on the mythos than Lois ever had. Yes, including marrying Clark, but that's another story.

Professor Hamilton? Ruin saga? I mean, like it or not, it was something to do...

I'll give you the bits about Perry White, Steel, etc. But Superman DOES have a supporting cast outside of Lois. It's more than a lot of DC characters get, desu. Worse that Batman, but that's the name of the game. Pretty much every promotional anything Superman has gotten since the 90s "better than everybody else's except Batman"

I kind of like Action more at the moment, but that's because I really don't like Jon

The guy telling people to kill themselves is still posting, but I got banned for calling him a jerkoff. The mod here has lost his shit.

Couldn't he just ask his Lois to walk up to him with some Kryptonite and see how he reacts...

>but suddenly got his bug up his ass when Luthor put on the cape.

It wasn't Luthor putting on the cape. It was the fact that Superbro died.

Post Crisis Superman was fine with Superbro being New 52's Superman. But Superbro died. Superman even took Superbro to the Fortress of Solitude so he could be resurrected the same way post Crisis Superman was. But Superbro's Fortress didn't have the same gear post Crisis Superman's did.

All this shit happens in Superman Rebirth. This isn't some obscure or arcane book.

He was a jerk and a meathead.

It's an accurate statement. Superdad is a more experienced superman than superbro who was just starting out.

"I don't read comics": The post

Superdad has been around since the Justice League first formed.

>"most kids in those circumstances wouldn't have much hope"
>healthy white baby with no existing family ties to complicate things
He would have been snatched up in an instant even without the Kents

hottest lois

OG Supes easily could have said "I'm from an alternate Earth, and in my Universe the false story your Superman told everyone was real, I was both Clark Kent and Superman. That's why I have trouble believing you are who you say you are." That information wouldn't have put his new identity on this world in any danger and he wouldn't even need to mention that Lois or Jon existed.

I think he's afraid to admit that he even has or ever had a "secret identity". Kind of silly considering that Superbro was just exposed as Clark Kent, but Superman has a deep fear of letting people know about his identity.

bump

bump

Put the Cred Forums clover there in the lenses and it's banner material.

Does this guy know he's being way too aggressive to be CLARK KENT?

Woah, this is reaching Marvel levels of subtlety

He wasn't though. Anymore than current Superman is a coward

It's an accurate statement from readers who know everything about Pre Crisis Superman. Not from some jackass who has only seen him level a few city blocks fighting Doomsday

It's obviously editorial putting over pre-New 52 Superman, ala The Rock showing up and telling everyone how awesome Roman Reigns is.

Ozymandias removed a decade of time from the universe, altered memories and made someone that was not, into Superman. You think making a fake Clark Kent with actual memories is somehow harder than that?

>Ozymandias

You mean Manhattan?

Better

bump

Has anyone else noticed how often the artists have been fucking up and accidentally making the boots red?

Yea. And the belt is inconsistent. The diamond is terribly ugly, but Gleason fixed it, for an issue. Made it more of a S shield w/o the points on either side.

Bump..