Why hasn't Death ever had a love interest

She's really cute and has a nice personality and is very popular. Why hasn't Gaiman or anyone else thought to match her up with another character? She comes off as the type of person someone would fall in love with while she's in the process of spiriting them away. I'm surprised there's never been a story about this.

Other urls found in this thread:

io9.gizmodo.com/5750398/neil-gaimans-1994-safe-sex-psa-starring-death-from-sandman-and-john-constantine/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

She's Gaiman's waifu and he would never allow it.

Pretty sure she fucked her brother.

Wasn't there a Chinese cow farmer she liked?

sauce?

I think it's because everyone is sort of in love with her in their own way. She couldn't do her job if she took too much liking to one soul or another. She does pull little favors for the people she does like.

Plus I think it's too avoid unoriginal and campy shipping too.

Plus Death is so powerful, if you fuck with her she'll wipe out the whole planet and think nothing of it. It's probably better that no one is toying with her non-understandable by mortals complex emotions.

once a century she takes human form to fuck around

like that one user who mentioned the chinaboy she held hands with

Death loves everyone, user. And she'll be with you to the end.

Why would the thing that will outlast every other thing ever have any attachment to anyone?

Because her sweetheart loves another gal.

I think it'd be an interesting thing to play straight. Like in ancient mythology you have all sorts of stories about how Gods fell in love with mortals and all the shit that would happen because of it. The Big 2 haven't really done that as much. Like Thor has Jane Foster, Thanos keeps waiting for his Death to pls respond, and WW is the product of Zeus being Zeus. But it'd be crazy to have one of the Endless, especially the one that controls life and Death fall in love with a mortal and what that would mean and how that'd affect the natural order.

She put a condom on John Constantine's banana that one time.

Although I've thought up of ideas on subject. That Death loves the bad boys like any hot girl with a nice personality does... This is why sometimes people who really deserve to die, don't.

One of those individuals was Joe Chill. I had this idea for a scene where after he shoots Bruce's parents he points the gun to Bruce "No witness', sorry kid" but Death puts her hand on the gun and says "That's enough." And he listens to her. No one ever believes that "Death loves 'em" but he likes to brag about it. Maybe she doesn't actually love him, but she has some kind of bond with killers, like how cats bring dead things to their owners. She... needs them in a way.

The Endless aren't that sort of god.

Okay this is veering into some obvious shitposting territory.

Yeah, they aren't gods at all. They are a tier above them in the DC cosmology. Dream says God's come out of the deepest reaches of the Dreaming and leave the world through his sisters realm. That's all they know about how they function.
I just got done with Sandman like last week so it's all still fresh on my mind.

Well no shit. They're on the level of the Marvel Elders of the Universe. But seing as how Gods in the Big 2 are typically portrayed as really powerful being more than actual untouchable gods the Endless would be the closest approximation to how the ancient people viewed Gods.

Why is it a shitpost? I'm being genuine.

No, there are loads of smaller gods in DC. You even see some of them in Sandman. Hell, all the myths are outright true, even the contradictory ones.

So why don't the Endless tell Manhattan to stop messing with the universe?

Is Mahattan more powerful then even them?

I don't think her relationship with life is that antagonistic though. I don't think she outright enjoys death or celebrates people who bring it onto others.

Tiny shit like that doesn't concern them..

Death didn't even notice when thousands of people came back to life during Blackest Night. Destiny is probably reading about Manhattan's fuckery in his book and then going on with his day.

That's what I'm saying though. That there's so many of them that are powerful but have canonically been beaten. I mean Ares was ripped apart by the Sentry. But no mortal could do that to the Endless. So having some being higher than a "God" would have that bigger impact that I'm talking about in

>Death didn't even notice when thousands of people came back to life during Blackest Night.
They addressed that I'm pretty sure. She said something about how sooner or later, they all come back to her.

>yfw Death gets jealous

>I'm being genuine

The wording made it pretty clear that she was either completely unaware or completely unconcerned in spite of her awareness. Either way, it proves that these "earth-shattering" events of the DCU are far beneath The Endless' concern.

The Endless literally do not care about absolutely anything outside of their own personal lives. They are completely wrapped up in their own ego and personification of their concept that they are almost incapable of noticing the world around them as anything but insignificant white noise.

kek not the image I wanted

>So why don't the Endless tell Manhattan to stop messing with the universe?
>Is Mahattan more powerful then even them?

I know this is a trigger question.

But Johns both doesnt cae about vertigo, and doesnt really like Gaiman's Endless.
And he is a hack that put Manhattan in a position of power he never had before. Captain Atom was several times more powerful but johns doesnt like him either.

>having sex with Death
>being in a relationship with Death

What would it be like Cred Forumsmrades? Dream seems like an angsty cunt when it comes to women. Death would be cooler, right?

>doesnt really like Gaiman's Endless.
You're making things up and passing them off as fact. Stop. People like you are insufferable.

Death is completely and utterly unconcerned with human life. It's her job, part of her routine. She likes her job, she takes it seriously, but at the end of the day human life is just something she has to sweep up off the cosmic floor.

In other words she probably would not be down to fuck.

Despair in the other hand....

You're not being fun at all, user.

I think she'd be pretty chill and surprisingly perky and have lots of cool things to talk about. I feel like he'd be more into just hanging and joking around than getting into any deep philosophical or political discussions because she'd be on a different level in terms on knowledge and reasoning.

Sex would hopefully be fun. She'd probably be nonchalantly really good about it and be really encouraging about how good you're doing.

Didn't one of them liked Batman? I think it was Sublime.

>She couldn't do her job if she took too much liking to one soul or another

You would not wish to live in a world where Death played favorites.

The endless can't fall in love its against the rules and something bad will happen if they do.

>implying Dream hasn't been in love
>implying the "something bad" wouldn't be interesting to see played out
wew

yeah and a city was glassed and he put his lover in hell when he pissed her off and forgot about her. Delirium was also hinted to be in love before she became delirium.

>She comes off as the type of person someone would fall in love with while she's in the process of spiriting them away.
No she doesn't. what are you smoking, waifu fumes?

Has there ever been any hinting about the event that turned her from 'Delight' to Delirium'? Or, for that matter, any stories or flashbacks from the point in time when she was 'Delight'?
The closest I remember to seeing it referenced is Desire calling her Delight once and her looking startled before saying
"Delight was a long time ago!"

>Has there ever been any hinting about the event that turned her from 'Delight' to Delirium'?
nope.

>I've read way too much hentai: the post.

I could see that. I guess I didn't make the point clearly in my post that she wouldn't enjoy it like love, maybe it's just something that's part of her role. People need to die somehow and sometimes that's from other, evil people.

I thought it had to do with Despair and Krypton?

Because she doesn't appear continuously in stories so there's no reason to flesh out things like that. It's not like there's an ongoing series about the Misadventures of Death. If there was, she'd probably get a love interest eventually, since that's an easy story to do.

Everybody dies eventually, killers don't help her.

do NOT SEXUALIZE the DEATH

lel wut. I didn't even bring up tentacles or nothin...

son of a shephard?

We already got that with Dream though

Death just strikes me as the most level headed of the group that's cool with just watching and doing her job forever. Like she reached that enlightement phase, even if she did fall in love with someone it just wouldn't turn into a big passion thing. She'd probably pull a few neat favors from time to time if she got to see them

Really I like to think that she and Clark play some chess every now and then every time superman goes through some sort of near death experience or something, shit like that

the answer you're looking for is a Swamp-Thing/Death team-up or something like that

It wasn't that big of a deal though because Dream sucks at relationships. I think Death would be chill enough to make one work or would have more interesting universe-wide consequences than "everyone gets angsty dreams for a bit".

ITT people who haven't read sandman yet

you would go to hell or something because the endless can't date mortals

ITT: I'm fucking posting Sandman pages and no one is giving me fucking credit.

Lets be honest here, it would probably be Dream
this guy has the right idea, Death even gave Dream some good advices when he was feeling like shit

them start by posting the good ones

Aren't good ones? That funeral scene is the epitome of the series.

It would always end in some kind of poetic irony or tragic misfortune for both parties. Like Death makes you her immortal companion but gets sick of you after a few hundred years and tries to just quietly slip you away into the afterlife one day but finds out she can't due to whatever fuckery made you immortal in the first place, and she's forced to abandon you in some lifeless corner of existence so she can finally have some peace and time to herself again.

Was she fucking the corpse of a guy she just killed?

>want to see more endless family affairs or just they fucking around the human world
>need to go through pages and pages of boring stories where they only show up at the last second
>get overwhelmed by the amount of reading sometimes
Still finishing sandman to this day

t-thanks

Doesn't that seem like our world already?

Yeah it's weird. Especially World's End because it seems like it's going no where and then all the sudden it gets to the fucking point and it's great.

But I really don't care for all the Doll House shit, only that it becomes relevant later. The best part of Sandman was when Dream and Delirium go on a road trip to find Destruction.

Death is not for lewds

Okay speaking Death and love interests and this meme with her and Thanos, this actually gave me an idea of sorts...

What if Death did have some similar relationship with Darkseid? It'd one of those things where the two similar characters mirror each other in some aspect they haven't before. Those are always fun, sort of commenting on the other.

Maybe Darkseid thinks the anti-life equation will bring him Death's powers or control of affection. He was actually at her brother's funeral. He's knows about them. Plus he's outside the mutliverse now isn't he? It'd be cool to see how he interacts with the Endless given his status in the order of things. I've always imagined the Endless appearing more monstrous and alien on Apokolips.

>people with no imagination

This is why no one ever posts fun threads and everything on Cred Forums is either superhero movies, bitching about superhero movies, waifu threads, storytimes, bitching about what people consider to be SJW, or generals for gay shit like Steven Universe. Obviously so far she hasn't shown the initiative to want a romantic relationship in what's been published but it doesn't always have to be like that.

At least is creative. Like that's the shit that might realistically happen. idk I think if things got serious between her and a mortal one or several of the other Endless might step in to intercede and talk some sense to her. Especially if she starts to neglect her duties somehow and becomes warped by the experience. I could see some evil force taking advantage of the situation. Especially if she somehow became pregnant. If Superman and WW having a baby is a big deal then that would be a huge situation.

Darkseid has never had that sort of fascination of Death before in relation to the anti-life. It's always been more about subjugation than anything else. I do like the idea of them meeting though and Darkseid being perplexed by her. I really enjoyed the issue in Action Comics where she meets Lex Luthor.

Very much doubt she's had a romance, but probably a fling or two when she's been human

fuck off you autistic cunt, sound legit interesting

Thank you user.

Okay this is actually interesting. Some other posts in here were too but just on a standalone level, what if Death romanticizes murderers and killers because they keep her relevant? I'm not really talking about the Endless from DC, I'm talking about a more singular idea of Death and Life on two opposites of the spectrum, maintaining and keeping the world in balance.

Reading this back it sounds retarded, but it's just Cred Forums so how would you expand or rebuild this idea into something better?

everyone already loves her

Why? Endless has no stake in that. Too small for him to care.

If she's so unconcerned, how come she lets herself become human once every 100 years? It's so she does not get too detached and uncaring.

If DC's Death is all sweet and nice, which she is.. Then why does she insist on smelling so foul and looking so grotesque? Im referring to the process of death. If anything death should be Bea Arthur.

Delight is incompatible with reality, and she learned she could not logically exist. This drove her mad, because the only way she could fit was to deny reality and create her own.

Delight is an emotion isolated from the real world; one that cannot exist unless you are willing to insulate against reality. That's why she became delirium, which is just a deep form of denial.

That's my theory of what Neil was going for anyway.

She was lonely, and sought out Destruction.

>She... needs them in a way.
Not really.

the only people who truly love death are creeps

I mean she kinda did on her day off but that's kinda a weird one-sided one I think

>Implying anthropomorphic Universal concepts can have love intrests

Death isn't the decaying of your body. It is the transition from being a physical living being to being a spirit on their way to their final destination. If anything it's despair that would be the one responsible for what happens to dead bodies. The way they bloat up grotesquely and lose all sense of beauty. The way that they start to move as if they are still alive... right before the maggots burst from under their dead skin.

Death isn't really a sexual kind of being, all of her stuff shows her as a buddy and best mate rather than sex appeal. One of my favorite Death moments was when Lex Luthor became God, she was collecting a skier that fell and broke his neck. She walks up to him and he goes "Am I dead?" and she goes "Yep" then he asks "so you taking me somewhere" and she goes "Not yet, something awesome just happened... I get to take a break! For the next little while I get to relax while everything gets better". It was implied that even then she knew Luthor was going to fuck it up and lose all of his god-juice.

He doesn't and it's both a well known fact and evident on his work.

Aside from not scripting Manhattan and the Endless fisticuffing (which is the only way he could approach this retarded hierarchy issue) what exactly has he done?

>when Lex Luthor became God

What issue?

When was this?

For Johns Death is pretty much like Marvel's death, he doesnt like Gaiman's approach. And i seriously think he has even read most of the Sandman comics. He is a guy that never touched a Wonder woman comic before 2014 aside from a few Perez's issues so if he took Weisman take on Death over Gaiman, that means something.

She probably has had several -- especially when she was transitioning out of the former persona towards her current more chill one.

However, at this point she's likely just too mature and level headed to get swept up a relationship as we'd see it.

She's there at the moment of birth and death. She, at least from my reading of the character, does seem to rationalize this as meaning she has a sort of connection with people.

That she's empathetic towards everyone, because she's their "oldest friend", even if they can't quite remember her. She wouldn't be interested in a "love interest", because she's interested in loving everyone -- a feeling she can get from doing her job.

Do you remember what happened last time there was love with one of the endless.

Then again that might have changed i have only read the first few trades so far i should probably get on that.

we get it, you want to fuck Death.

What is marvel death like anyway.

she is literally Death
as in, the concept of death

she is above things like that

Ah im reading the 3rd trade now seems its only mortals they cannot be with.

The french colloquially refer to orgasms as little deaths.

Take from that what you will.

Then why is Dream, the concept of dreams, not above having lovers?

This. Sooner or later she'll be there alone at the end of everything.

No body wants to draw or make threads about your fucking fanfiction so stop trying to push it.

You should not rush towards death but when she arives you should be happy to see her.

I see no reason death could not have a lover but it does make a lot more sense for dream.

But Dream is spooky and kinda ugly. Death is cute and perky and always in skimpy clothes.
I think Death might be lonely.

Dream is generative, but Death is sterile.

"Death is evil so I'm removing it"
-The Spectre

>kinda ugly
Thats some shit taste right there user.

cause nothing ever last

I know, right?

She saw Blackest Night.

She really didn't give a lot of fucks about it.

Post Death giving advice to the immortal woman.

The door was open...

Thats honestly my biggest problem with this whole thing.
Manhatten is not that powerful he is strong yes but not that strong.

Because it makes for a better story, a woman who loved a dream, a fantasy, and the tragic end. Complete with Dream standing out in the rain afterwards. Because in those tragic ends, there is always rain.

Maybe because dreaming is a big part of being in love?
Unrequested love especially - all you can do is dream about moments that will never happen.

Death has to reincarnate as a living being every once in a while, so odds are shes had an affair or two in those periods.

But otherwise meeting Death means you're dead, loving Death means you enjoy seeing others die. Just like how in the other story Dream and Delirium seek Destruction, so everyone around them have bad shit happen to them and arguably Dream meeting Destruction caused the ending of his story.

thats the worst kind of people

I see past your illusions and know your true form. Reveal yourself, you wretch! It's clear that most people don't die when they're young and beautiful, but when they're old and decrepit. And so are you. So, begone with this fictitious form and show your real self!

She can turn into a Grim Reaper or a Demon if you just ask her nicely.

That was depressing. I didn't want to see the end of the universe.

Odds are theres just new universes waiting around the corner in the Sandman mythos. Time and reality is a bit of a surreal thing in those stories. Once upon a time giant cats ruled the world until enough humans dreamed of a world with humans on top. Some dead people choose to reincarnate in other realities, like when Prez decides to save more than just one America.

This dude should be her love interest

Déjà vu i think i once read this post again

no it's not

Insert in one of the Sandman issues. I think in the trades it's in the third volume at the end? Been a while since I've cracked them open.

Nah 3rd trade had a script at the end.

Aside from Animal Man and probably doom patrol Johns wasnt really into Vertigo and he has never used any element from Gaiman in any of his comics. He doesnt even use Morrison's elements and they are both friends. Johns not caring about the endless doesnt mean he hates sandman, it just means that he likes a more traditional sci-fi universe instead of weird conceptual things, nothing wrong with that.

>What if Death did have some similar relationship with Darkseid? It'd one of those things where the two similar characters mirror each other in some aspect they haven't before. Those are always fun, sort of commenting on the other.

DC's death is a extrauniversal, well beyond the multiversal tier. Marvel's Death is barely universal tier.

They are in no way comparable.

I don't mean to be a MarvelFag, but Death is ultimately in love with Deadpool.

The Wake was so amazing for god's sake. Thessaly best ex.

Quicly somebody give me a shotgun ! Or clorox !

>salty because you have no creativity
Pretty sad desu

Reminder to gargle post-death.

It was an AIDS awareness flyer back in '94

io9.gizmodo.com/5750398/neil-gaimans-1994-safe-sex-psa-starring-death-from-sandman-and-john-constantine/

Source please :D

There is only one Death in the DCU & he doesn't look like a black lantern or a goth wet dream.

Dream was such an asshole.

I think she have rules like Dream, one of those is that she can't fall in love, forget where I read it.
cute!

Death and decay are two different things, their's the Rot which is the personification of decay.

that's actually kindof adorable

So is the Book of Destiny the one in Limbo in Final Crisis?

Death loves everyone like a parent loves their child. Remember, she's there from the moment you're born and is with you at every moment of your life. She knows you better than anyone else and remembers everyone who has ever lived.

With that context, it would be very hard for her to play favorites, or feel romantically about a single mortal.

Also, an Endless loving a mortal essentially ensures the mortal's destruction, so only someone melodramatic like Dream would bother goign through with it.

I remember there is one story where she live one day as a human girl ( which she does everyonce in a while) which the male protagonist of that story is kind of like a possible loveinterest, but it didn't go anywhere,becauce it's just one day

Yeah this is probably closest to a love interest. Before she went back to being Death she clearly cared quite a bit about him.

Can't she just visit people she cares about after they died?

The only Endless I see not having a love interest is Destiny.

>Thessaly
Fuck that mind raping bitch, though.

Okay, they're literally not the same thing. I fucking get that. I was just saying, from a FUN point of view. Like a homage or parody of shorts of the Thanos-Darkseid connection.

Geez.

Yeah the idea just stemmed from that weird observation that it's sort of unfair that the killers live and their victims die. I guess it's took much to think Death would care either way.

I don't know what to do with it beyond that.

>arguably Dream meeting Destruction caused the ending of his story.

Holy shit I didn't realize that. That blew my mind user.

She doesn't -have- to, but does so by her own choosing so that she keeps a perspective on things.

You get to see what she was like before she started this back in one story focusing on a pre-Green Light Maltusian/Guardian/Oan/whatever that was dating Dream at the time. There's a big meeting of entities working out metaphysical/-phorical boundaries, agreements, etc... and when Death arrives she's more like Morpheus is in the 'present,' (dour, rude in an 'I don't care' way, etc) stating that she only showed up because of decorum. Everyone just stops, a couple try to be polite to her and offer drinks and such, but she just goes "I showed up, now I'm leaving, do what you want, you're all coming to me sooner or later."

There's nothing in the mythos that tells what led her to do the incarnating every 100 or so years, but it's definitely made her a more personable facet of reality.

Fuck that kid. He was such an asshole.

No it was during the party that you mentioned.
Destiny says something about rules being put into place and I think explicitly mentions what's going to happen with death.

>Can't she just visit people she cares about after they died?
For whatever reason, she doesn't usually. She could absolutely go to Heaven, or Hell, or Limbo, or wherever, and speak with people who've died.

I suppose you could look at it from the perspective of her trying to not be morbid about things. They got a life, they moved on. Dwelling on the dead would just be unhealthy.

But that is only a choice.

Isn't the whole point of destruction that he got sick his mantle and just said fuck it. Then went back packing around the multiverse.

Since this is something like a Sandman thread i have a question. How are the spinoffs? the Dreaming, Lucifer, dunno if there are others. I recently finished main sseries and carve for more Gaiman goodness.

You're just salty because he got to go on a cute date with Death and you didn't.

I remember once that Death mentioned or something, that she would be around until the universe itself dies, and then she'd just turn out the lights and lock the door behind her.

also just a reminder, but the dead people that came back from the grave in Blackest Night didn't actually come back from the dead. They were just puppets being controlled by the rings.

Which is why you had Deadman and his body both coexisting during that event.

As far as Death is concerned, those people never did come back from the dead. Her job is to take the living's souls to the other side, not concern herself with their mortal bodies. Zombies are entirely out of her jurisdiction. She did however, probably ferry a whole lot of people killed BY the Black lanterns.

>Implying anthropomorphic Universal concepts can have love intrests

Dream changes his every week. Then traps the old one in hell for 10,000 years.

Of course, he's literally Lord Byron as an anthropomorphic concept, so...

This is why.

Because that's what dreams are all about

>Shiklah fucks other dudes all the time
>she gets mad when Wade kisses another woman in a dream one time

She doesn't deserve the 'Pool.

Lucifer is good, even great at times. Definitely worth checking out. Haven't read anything else though.