How to make good adaptations of Cred Forums properties

Post your suggestions for any Hollywood moguls lurking the board. Here are mine for Transformers:

1. No shaky-cam battles.
2. More human-looking Transformers. If they can make their transformed form look like earth vehicles, they can also make their robot form look more human. This will make them easier to relate to. They looked too weird and alien to relate to in the Bay movies.
3. Avoid features that seem incongruous on a robot, like beards, 'peeing', testicles, etc.
4. Give the Transformers developed personalities, don't make them just stereotypes.
5. Have human characters as a bridge to introduce us to the Transformers, but make the main focus be on the Transformers. This will work better if you do the previous point.
6. Don't get too creative with the characters and mythology. Don't use an old character's name for a new character that is completely different in every way. If you must create new characters, give them new names. Better yet, don't. The series is popular for a reason, stick closely to the designs and characterizations shown in the cartoons and movies. Some of the harshest criticisms of the Bay movies were the new characters, like the shucking and jiving ice cream vans.
7. Avoid toilet humor.
8. If possible use more practical effects along with the CGI.
9. Stick to a handful of Transformers to start, expand the cast slowly over successive movies. It's already a challenge getting audiences to relate to robots but if there are too many characters none of them get enough screen time for audiences to feel they know them.
10. Don't throw in jingoistic subplots of American human soldiers. What are some bags of flesh going to do against massive alien robots? Get real. If you want soldiers involved wait till you can bring out the top guns with a GI Joe crossover.
11. Leave the door open for that, and other Hasbro properties.
12. Optimus doesn't kill Decepticons in cold blood.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4dilUbkP-PI
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

fuck you up the ass til it bleeds

except 1 and 6

also asslord, they DID use a ton of practical effects. all those explosions were real. every puff of sand scorponok made with his awesome feet was a real charge going off.

you want to make a transformers movie without america-fuck-yeah? good fucking luck funding it, you commie.

>Post your suggestions

> NO
> DON'T
> AVOID
> NO MORE
> DON'T USE
> RESTRICT YOURSELF

Post YOUR suggestions NOT what you thing OTHERS did wrong

2, 4, 5, 8, 9 and 11 were all suggestions, and most of the others could've been worded in a more positive way. I.e. I could have said "Battles where all of the action is clearly portrayed" instead of "no shaky-cam battles".

The Bayformers movies are so bad they poisoned the franchise. There is no way to make the franchise good without destroying what made it bad first.

I like the alien looking ones, but i do believe they should predominately look like more detailed updated versions of their 80s counterparts.

yeah it's not as if the franchise actually sucked hard between Beast Wars and Prime or anything. it was fantastic until the movies then it sucked! also I am a mollusc.

>The Bayformers movies are so bad they poisoned the franchise

Uh

This...seriously...it's almost like you forgot about Beast Machines, RID, Armada, Cybetron, and Energon (fuck you user Animated was great)

If you think Transformers being adapted into shitty things is new, you either have suffered amnesia or you just never actually paid any attention to Transformers media....because Bayformers regardless of what people will say is far from the worst thing attached to the franchise

>Bayformers poisoned the franchise

Nigga please.

Bayformers 1 actually breathed interest into the franchise. It's just the Transformers as a movie series that's been made as a laughing stock but the shows, games and toys have all done well without a great deal of adapting from the publicly known movies. So far only Bumblebee, Barricade and Optimus Prime's truck mode have been consistently adapted.

You're right, it didn't. Especially considering how successful Armada was.

The only thing the movies did was dump in piles of money that went directly to ugly ass toys of shitty designs, and even that's all dried up now to the point that they barely even make Transforming toys of Bay's supposed "Transformers."

The Michael Bay Transformers movies are the Batman v Superman of cartoon adaptations, except even worse. Michael Bay deserves to have his fucking head cut off.

That's the Highmoon games for you. Unless Hollywood decides to go back to the 90's like Stranger Things, they probably wouldn't go back to their iconic G-1 selves.

Well actually they could've done that in the fourth movie but only Optimus had a G-1 alt mode. Wasn't even red too and had to cheat in size (see the front grill and legs)

>Ugly ass toys of shitty designs

Now hold on there, ROTF had the best toyline for the series and the designs for at least 40% of the bots weren't half bad.

should read:
*the designs and characterizations shown in the cartoons and comics

Bludgon was goat at the time

Also op is a normie fag transfo r mers have always had bereds

>ROTF had the best toyline

"No."

Overcomplicated engineering doesn't mean a fucking thing if the end result looks like shit.

>3. Avoid features that seem incongruous on a robot, like beards, 'peeing', testicles, etc.
>beards

faggot

>armada
>successful

Yeah...going ten steps back in terms of toy quality from previous new toys and going to Playskool colored bricks that usually suffer heavily because of forced useless gimmicks and an AWFUL show that was trying to capitalize on Pokemon or something and somehow was even cheaper of an anime is "success"

That's a shitty example obviously but guys like Long Haul, Battle Blades Bee, Optimus Prime, Sideswipe and so on had excellent molds

You cherry picked the worst

Check out bludgeon skyhammer wreckedge recon ironhide and brawn

Well why cant they make them more streamlined instead of these over complicated wirey messes bay is so fond of?

Except Armada sold fucking gangbusters.

>optimus covered in flames with pig toes
>hunchback mcwheelkibble
>movie bumblebee

No amount of engineering can make these designs not shit.

Yeah I was thinking of the awful beard and cane on the movie version of Jetfire. How about this, if they had it in the original cartoons they can keep it in the adaptation. Oh, and Kup can keep his cigar too (not that it would make it past the censors).

Because dude ILM LMAO

Michael Bay had no sense of aesthetics and ILM wanted the movies to be a big tech demo jackoff session, so they made things as overcomplicated as possible.

The idea was "how can we make these characters look as little like the source material as possible," probably out of Bay's resentment for the franchise.

It's the style. Somewhere towards achieving realism and alien-like monster robot beings. Also because in the first movie, the transformations needed to have a bit more impact. Imagine Barricade just transforming like in the old cartoon for the first movie. He wouldn't be as menacing. Same with Bumblebee taking three seconds to transform with a few more details in his robot form moving. It's all there to spice things up at the cost of a decent design for the robots.

Bay doesn't resent the franchise, he just doesn't care as much as a longtime fan does.

How can you disagree with 3, 4, 7, and 12?

You're pretty much nitpicking at this point with
>Optimus covered in flame

that you might as well just spit out they're not Masterpiece-tier and that they're not g1 therefore they're shit

Then why the fuck does hasbro not kick him out of the franchise all together? sam rami inhumanoids verses the transformers fucking when?

Don't really see a problem with the cane. If anything it fits with the geezer's rusting and age.

>Kup cigar
Hound had a "cigar" bullet in the fourth and used it as a weapon. Of course they never sold it with the toys.

Most of Pixar's "Storytelling suggestions" are restrictions. A lot of storytellers think restrictions are useful. In fact a lot of complaints about cape and scifi stories is lack of restriction

That looks better than this

As someone who's been buying these hunks of plastic for a long time, Beast Machines was rough....RID had it's value purely in the toyline with some cool repaints and some good original toys that were taking after the Beast Era's mechanics but with vehicular forms in a cool way

Armada is when I fucking jumped ship, it was awful, some of the movie toys are superior to it in design even if being cheaper toys but that's more telling of the entire toy industry than it is TF

It's not Hasbro's fault, it's the producers and paramount.

Three things you should know about why Bay hasn't budged:

-Bay had already stated three times that he wanted out of the series, starting with Dark of the Moon but Paramount wouldn't let him because he's a trusted source of income with a name stuck famously with "Transformers". The movies have made billions for the producers and higher-ups.

-No big-time director would be willing to switch with Bay because Transformers as a hollywood ip is considered a popcorn flick of a series. Any Bay clone would probably do worse if not a horrible job, or so a producer would believe.

-Hasbro's been already trying to do changes with the series ever since they tried to get Kreuger out of the writing cast, proving that Michael's still an irreplaceable asset to the higher ups and are making due with what they have, which is to at least *try* to save the writing in the next films.

>Don't really see a problem with the cane. If anything it fits with the geezer's rusting and age.
I don't really like the idea of a Transformer showing human-like signs of aging in the first place, never mind they used a totally different character's name and turned him into an old geezer.
>Hound had a "cigar" bullet in the fourth and used it as a weapon. Of course they never sold it with the toys.
That's cool. Honestly the fourth movie was the only movie I never got around to watching, I'd had enough at that point.

I don't blame you. I enjoyed two of the Bayformers but the fourth was just something so unforgivable that even when the Autobots had actual personality they landed in a movie critically worse than ROTF.

Talk about a cinematic abortion. That rebooted cinematic universe cant come fast enough battle beasts vs army ants garden warfare fucking when hasbro?

You can just watch the Autobot scenes on youtube and you would've pretty much watched the only decent scenes in the movie that has actual relation to the robots themselves, which would amount to...20 minutes not including Bumblebee and Optimus.

Actually there have been talks of an official spinoff for a Chinese release featuring bayformers Optimus Prime and Sun Wukong, so there's that.

Well Bee and Alpha Trion had a cane in some of their continuities.

Would said spinoff get an amerixan release?

I hate to tell you this, but your personal feelings do not affect the success of the lines. Armada reinvigorated the franchise; without it there would be no movies.

Also, remember that Armada was created by teams that had never created Transformers before, and was literally reinventing the wheel.

Yet despite that we got figures that would go on to set the standard for what toys in the line were supposed to be.

One thing to also remember is that Hasbro makes nothing off the movie. At all.

The only way any studio would agree to make the movie is if they got 100% of the box office. Car companies (and probably the US military) have more say in the movies than Hasbro does. Hasbro makes money soley on the toys, which has been plummeting since ROTF.

The fourth one is the only one even close to competent. ROTF may be the worst movie ever made.

Possibly but anything involving Sun Wukong usually just means a Chinese-only release.

Hmm, well I'm not crazy about that, I guess it could work if it had some other function like a battle staff and they leaned on it when they weren't using it. It just seems weird that they would have those kinds of human frailties to need a cane but whatever.

Sam Raimi has proven he can't fucking do "capeshit" and while TF is not traditionally cape, it may as well be

I don't fucking want his campy horse shit anywhere near TF, he can't do Spider-Man right without making it some goofy waltz down what he thinks is "old school comic book lane" meanwhile being nothing like Spider-Man of the old comics....he would turn a TF movie into a fucking joke for casuals to laugh at and go "thats so 80s lol", just like his Spider-Man movies were jokes for people who don't read Spider-Man to go "that's so capeshit"

Hasbro makes off its toy sales and probably some cuts for being the owner of the franchise.

It's also their fault that their toys in AoE were so horrible that a chinese knock-off managed to turn an unpainted dry turd into shiny functioning platinum-painted fertilizer.

Spider-Man 1 was a great film even though it wasn't a direct adaptation of Gwen and Green Goblin's bridge arc.

Honestly, transformers could use more canp humor instead of GIVE ME YOUR FACEEEEE. Also, i suggested sam rami because inhumanoids, theyd be great under his horror directing.

>Yet despite that we got figures that would go on to set the standard for what toys in the line were supposed to be.

Shit?

>I hate to tell you this, but your personal feelings do not affect the success of the lines. Armada reinvigorated the franchise; without it there would be no movies.

I hate to tell you this, but your personal feelings do not affect the success of the movies.

The Bay flicks have made far...FAR more money than Armada ever did, so by your fucktarded logic that makes it good ya? And you can't have an opinion on the quality of it since it makes money, ya? You're a fuckboy, nonce, fucking kys

Spider-man 1 & 2 were good, Rotten Tomatoes backs me up on that.

Im gonna sound real stupid. But who the fuck is sun wukong?

If AoE never had the boyfriend, the romantic subplot and had the Cade vs Agent fight cut out, then yes I'd probably agree that it was close to competent. The movie still had a lot of faults besides those. The three plots mashed together was jarring and the runtime gave me and my old man a headache.

Famous chinese mythology character, adapted in several western video games and chinese films. Better known for his name as the Monkey King.

One thing that would be cool would be if they just had as an aside about one of the human characters like the Witwickys being recruited for G.I. Joe. Then they could lead that into a crossover. But they need to be subtle about it and not jump the gun. Some franchises like the Amazing Spider-man and DC seem to get way ahead of themselves in starting a shared universe, before they even have good standalone movies.

Transformers 5 News, just for you:

-The ugly ass Hot Rod confirmed for Britbong filming exclusivity along with two other Autobots, one with the preproduction name "Cogman".

-Barricade has been spotted in nearly every filming location

-Nazis confirmed

-Excalibur confirmed

-Rumored Decepticon submarine makes an appearance

-The two new autobots' alt modes are a red MacLaren and an Ashton Martin, both spotted near the Queen's.

-Crosshairs not as regularly spotted as Hound and Drift.

-WW2 Tanks possibly confirmed as Transformers as a few were seen moving while shooting the present day scenes.

-Michael has been upping the public views, counting two live streams, during the filming and a special livestream to a Chinese Transformers convention.

-Cade's daughter and her boyfriend will not be returning or rather, have not been seen in any of the shootings whatsoever.

13. More Weird Al

Rotten Tomatoes says Thor 2 is good, critics know fuck all about capeshit. As long as it's campy and normalfag as can be it's "good"

I don't really get where your normalfag hatred comes from because if you're saying that if normies love it, it's shit because it's not as unique to you as you want it to be?

Ok, I'll explain it further. Thor 2 is not what anybody who actually likes Thor would want out of a Thor movie, you know, those yucky nerds who read comic books

Thor 2 is however the only way to get "normalfags" to watch such a movie, by making it a romantic comedy ....if you were a kid who liked Thor and you thought "man , I hope this gets a romcom flick" you were one gay kid

I can definitely understand Thor and Thor 2, but for Spider-Man it still had many elements for both the comic fan and the unknowing filmgoer while providing a good story structure.

Well, I suppose that's why it's so debated then isn't it...my personal opinion, I never liked the Raimi movies...they didn't reflect well the comics I read as a kid nor the character I praised as my favorite super hero, turning him into a pathetic generic wimp which he never was and a generic camp hero which he never was in my mind

Not only that but the movies are littered with saccharine sentiment that just never sat well with me....but, all that aside I will say the movies from a film perspective ARE put together well and have good story structure...sure, I'll buy that, but that alone doesn't make them worthy adaptations in my opinion, and it doesn't help that it seems a lot of people who DO absolutely love those movies never really cared for Spider-Man prior...making them part of the "normie" audience, since you will see tons of them seeming to think that Raimi's Spider-Man is the true one and that things like webshooters are "stupid" when it's what every actual Spider-Man fan knows is a big part of the characters origin, but since these movies were likely their first exposure to the character they deem their adapted version to be the one true version

he just gets all the love.

t. salty ass baynigger

t. kiddy anime fan who doesn't know a thing about Transformers

Japs should never touch bots, fuck off to Cred Forums or the pokemon board you 20 year old little newfag

Even the C4 adverts that sorta convinced them that a Transformers movie was possible are much better than Bay's junkheap showcase.

He's one of the breed of directors, like Snyder, who takes pride in not knowing shit about the source material, even bragging about it.

youtube.com/watch?v=4dilUbkP-PI

He doesn't brag about it like Snyder actually. He just does his job and doesn't necessarily hype it up more than what the crew marketers do. He knows the main basics of Transformers and doesn't go out saying that Optimus should be a murderous psychopath and defending it.

>he wants a TF movie with a dance off

You're an idiot. And how much of the source material do you know? How many wiki articles you read kid? Like ten? Wowwww....

We actually almost had that.

>he doesn't go out saying that Optimus should be a murderous psychopath
No, he just shows than on screen.

>wiki articles
Shit dude, do you have thirty years of back issues sitting in your mommy's closet? That's not something to be proud of.

Yes, but unlike Snyder he doesn't interact with interviews saying that his version was to _____ and was a proper version. No, he just shows it and moves on to his passion films instead of spending time telling everyone why Prime is death incarnate, why Starscream likes to spit or why Bee's still mute.

Snyder cares but in a wrong way. Bay doesn't care at all.

>3

Transformers have had beards since G1

frankly there's no reason for them to be humanoid or have faces

>12

Optimus totally kills in cold blood. He was about to murder his prisoner, Megatron, when Hot Rod got in the way way back in the 86 movie.

The fact is it doesn't matter that Megatron is evil or that you know he's done bad things; if you don't put him on trial and establish his guilt, you're just a murdering anarchist. Anarchy talks big but establishes no means of guaranteeing freedom, and if freedom is the right of all sentient beings, then the right to a fair trial is part of that - Optimus is just another fucking liar politician, and always has been.

Wonder how Hotrod's going to get Prime killed in the next.

Full CGI Transformers movie. First one takes place during the Cybertronian War, and ends with the Arc and Nemesis crashing on prehistoric earth.

The second movie I would show that only a few Autobots were recovered, and Optimus has to lead a small ragtag group in modern day against Megatron and his elites. Bring in the human side characters, but keep the Transformers as the focus.

Third movie start to introduce a few more characters, maybe the return of guys from the first movie. Megatron gets in touch with Soundwave on Cybertron, who informs him that Cybertron is a barren wasteland with hardly any life left. Megatron sends out a beacon for all Decepticons to come to earth, which brings in some heavy hitters like Sixshot and Bruticus. As well, Autobots hear the signal and begin to arrive as well. Tensions between Optimus and the human government become rocky as it becomes more clear that the war will only get worse.

Movies four and five deal with the coming of Unicron.

>Soundwave
Shockwave, my bad.

>Full CG movie

Sadly never going to happen unless the CG you're expecting is TFP-tier which in that case will be happening soon.