Civilians in cape comics being assholes that only care for their self-interests is just a reflection of real society...

Civilians in cape comics being assholes that only care for their self-interests is just a reflection of real society where conditions push people to become more and more materialistic and selfish.

It also becomes a challenge to the heroes as they have to ask themselves whether such a society is something worth defending or not.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9RynVyFzcis
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Sometimes I wonder if the civilian populations has just gotten sick of the constant events occurring and they just act like dicks as a way of sort of maintaining some semblance of control in a universe that literally doesn't care about them.

constantly acting like assholes to the people saving you on a daily basis isn't a way to do it then.

because there's a chance that the hero you keep giving shit to might up and decide that helping ungrateful jerks isnt worth it. meaning the next time some disaster happens, you're boned

the newscaster's mouth in the bottom panel looks like an asshole ringed by pubes

Look, if you're sharing a universe with the Avengers and the X-Men, you got no way of telling if they're here to blow you up or if they're here to be careful about keeping explosions a tad bit further away from you today.

That's real life too.

But it doesn't matter if they get saved today, they're still probably going to be in the same trouble tomorrow.

Not saying they're right, but both the DC and Marvel universes seem like terrible worlds to live in.
I wouldn't be surprised if the entire human civilisation have developed serve collective cynicism.

Its a cynical view of things but a valid one. I hate when people dismiss that as stupid because they disagree with the premise.

Police have to be held accountable because it's they're job to protect the people, however different it is in real life.

But for superheroes, it's closer to a hobby than a job, should they be held accountable? the only responsibility they have is one they put on themselves, society doesn't give them anything in return.

Except ignoring their illegal vigilantism.

I don't think it's that "realistic", they go way too far.

I really wouldn't call Marvel Civilian reactions "realistic".

Like, it's very clear that Johnny had nothing to do with that incident. Realistically, some people may be weary of him. They aren't going to smash a bottle on the back of his head and beat him into a coma. Especially when he can instantly cover his body in fire and his sister who is right there next to him also has deadly powers

On the other hand:
It's the police's job to catch criminals, this might turn things into a situation where all citizens are potential criminals they can catch to further their career, losing sight of why police exists.

Heroes receive no compensation for saving people and beating up baddies, there's no reason why they would veer from what heroes are expected to do.

>there's no reason why they would veer from what heroes are expected to do
Online moderation proves you wrong.

You would have a point if every cape was a Shazam-tier boyscout. But the vast majority of heroes now are complete dicks and sociopaths that fight amongst each other more then they do evil. Hell, a good portion of them cause more problems then they solve.

Civilians are cynical and depressing because heroes have become more cynical and depressing. There's absolutely no reason to trust the majority of them like you would in, say, the Silver-Age.

"Vigilantism" is a very specific crime, most heroes don't qualify for it. Only guys like the Punisher or Moon Knight who literally take the law into their own hands by killing people. Most heroes just beat up criminals caught in the act or wanted criminals, and leave them for the police to catch. Nothing illegal about that, citizen's arrest is a thing in the real world.

The markets can moderate themselves!
Don't you see that we should have a system of anarchy so corporations provide services without regulations?

>Sometimes I wonder if the civilian populations has just gotten sick of the constant events occurring and they just act like dicks as a way of sort of maintaining some semblance of control in a universe that literally doesn't care about them.

That's basically the origin story for New 52 Parasite

Do you even race riots?

That makes sense. It's like how everyone hates volunteer firefighters and other volunteers.

I have more of a problem with Marvel civilians being incrdibly ignorant and stupid.
Pic very much related, how do people like this even exist in the MU? And how do they get jobs as teachers?

No user, vigilantism doesn't start at killing people.
Citizen's arrest doesn't involve going out of your way to catch criminals.

People are retarded. End of story.
It's a cheap and easy plot device.

Are you being serious?
Teachers irl can be plenty dumb.

I wonder how religion works in the Marvel/DC universe considering different types of mythological deities exist.

I wonder what their media says about the weekly alien invasions that happen?

Yea but you don't have teachers that say sharks dont exist, or Amazonian tribes or anything else that is well documented as actually existing. Like aliens do in the MU. Secret Invasion wasn't exactly a secret.

There's a few cults to those mythologies as well as shit like the Sleeping Celestial but most people just regard them as superheroes either thinking they're imposters or they ain't shit compared to our lord Jesus Christ.

Blue Devil and Daredevil are both Catholics. Plus it seems like more all religions are real in comics.

Come here to Louisiana sometimes user

They report on all of them. In fact, the only reason Norman Osborn got named top cop was because he took credit for defeating the Skrulls.

What I find even weirder is what the guy in the skull shirt is saying. He says he "believes" in alien life, as if it was an opinion he can't prove, instead of an obvious fact. Everyone in class should be laughing at the teacher and mocking him for his blatant denialism.

So does that mean Allah and muhammad are...?

the best part of the movie.

youtube.com/watch?v=9RynVyFzcis

Touché

Squirrel Girl had a character who was a superhero truther that believed that superhumans didn't exist. He was portrayed as an unhinged flat-Earth tier conspiracy theorist lunatic, and rightfuly so.

I mean in marvel the Greek, Roman, and Egyptian pantheon are. Norse too, the devil has a chair in hell and kids. So they probably do, just aren't on a high power level.

Kid must read the Bugle then, even when an alien invasion happened, they'll always spin it so that it's Spiderman's fault.

Sam lives in Arizona, most of that shit happens in New York or California.

>the devil has a chair in hell and kids
An empty chair that nobody dares sit on.

So? 9/11 happened in New York, yet people in Arizona somehow heard about it.

The entire world was literally invaded by skrulls

That one is THE ONE TRVE SATAN chair, but every Devil of some religion is an actual devil + hell-dimension rulers all count as Hell Lords.

It's not empty anymore, Strong Guy took it a couple years back.
Then Mephisto tricked the Thunderbolts into disposing him. Guido took it all in stride, decided to look for his soul before returning to the world of the living.

That wasn't Sue, it was Johnny's date.

Didn't the Fantastic Four meet God/The One Above All in the Silver Age and he was Stan Lee or someone?

It was Hickman's run and it was Jack Kirby, you HEATHEN.

I thought it was Millar's run.

vigilantism is taking the law into your own hands without having the authority to do so

so no, it's not a very specific crime, it applies to most super heroes that operate without official green light from the government

It was Waid's run.

Is that Shuma-Gorath in the background?

Wouldn't claiming to be Satan himself be a downgrade for him? He's a fucking Elder god. He doesn't need to piggyback on Christianity to be horribly frightening

Yeah most of Cred Forums agrees Shuma in that panel was bullshit.

>not being such a boss ass bitch that you insert yourself into the metaphysics of a different universe for shits and giggles