Animation Smear Frames Thread

or weird animation frames depository. Post our findings.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=SANfYqmNz6U
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The smears being made out of lego is one of my favorite things about this movie. What an amazing touch.

anyone who uses smears is fucking shit

>tfw your bait cheats on you with a shitposter

Vanellope must be high as fuck when she glitches

>part 5: vento aureo

Y'know they actually built that as a model right?

It's not due to interpolation.

I've actually gone through the film, and this is the only one that actually looks like there was some secondary software used.

Aladdin has a bunch of funny ones. There was once a full thread full of images of how fucked up in between frames from Aladdin looked

I wanted to save them all but the thread was on page 15 and 404ed before I could bump it. The archives also didn't archives images back then so I was totally fucked.

WHY IS HE SO SMUG

Why are smears the easiest way to point out shit animators?

as apposed to what? tweening?

>Aladdin

Tweening is way better.

This is a smear presumably drawn by Hayao Miyazaki back when he was still animating for the first Lupin series.

youtube.com/watch?v=SANfYqmNz6U

tweening is the cheap shitty way for animating. inbetweens are part of a more traditional way of doing things. it makes everything look and flow a lot better than the blocky movement of tweening.

What the hell actually is this supposed to be? Is that the fuckin Red Guy?

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

Yes.

>trust no one

>Not even yourself

I am animator. I tried both and my conlcusion is: Tweening is too mechanic. Smearing feels more organic. So I tend to go for organic characters with smearing movements.

I dont animate my self but I do find it fascinating. I have to agree. tweening is cheap effective way to bust out cheap cartoons fairly quickly with puppet rigs and shit.. but traditional animation with smear frames and what not always looks so much more impressive and fun to watch by comparison.

The guards were right, he is a shifty ass street rat.

Is that what drinking beer does to you?

Tom the Cat was struck with a barrage of bullets to the face.

Yeah,because the film is stop motion, anytime you see a smear frame with more than face, it's because they 3d-printed a model with two faces specifically for that one frame.
Laika know their shit.

DIDNEY WORL

Going back on my analysis from earlier, "Paranorman" has about 21 scenes dedicated to making atleast one "smear model" for the animation to work.

Then there's those sequences at the end of the movie when the ghost is going crazy,which has too many "smear models" for me to count.

PRINCE ALI
BUG EYE'D IS HE

Life has many doors, Ed boys.

Oh, hi Ran.

The best one in SatAM

I think I have a new phobia

Post more Paranorman.

What show is this?

The Long, Long Holiday.
Sure thing.

I'm pretty sure that's just a couple of animation errors.

One of the sequences where they use these models here

I got more, but they're from the same sequences posted above (Maybe some left out).

I already posted all of the frames I found in Zootopia, but I got more from Hotel Transylvania 2.

Does smear have multiple meanings or does it mean different things in Western animation and anime? I've always associated the term with this effect.

Same, it feels more energetic and emotional

Made in Heaven

why are these so hilarious out of context?

It really just depends on where the animator places it, but it really does have different meanings in both Western and Eastern animation.

Basically, if there's a serious animator, they will do smears seriously and naturally (small multiples, trails (like in your picture)). A funny animator will do smears hilariously (heavy multiples, elongated poses, takes).

To help explain, here's a diagram that I took from Twitter.

The top half represents the more natural animator (portrays life very accurately) and the bottom half are funny animators (exaggerated drawings, stretches).

This still applies today. One of the Zootopia smears I've posted in this thread has two smears that happen in one sequence (Judy landing and getting up). Zootopia probably has only 4 dedicated smear frames (from what I counted) without the need of relying on secondary software like motion blur or stretching the body part.

So, finding two in one sequence in a serious movie quite rare (and done by the same animator).