Does continuity and lore make a cartoon inherently better?

Does continuity and lore make a cartoon inherently better?

Should all future cartoons follow this route?

No.
No it doesn't.
People who think they do are annoying as fuck.

nice meme, lesbian.

No.
It worked for Samurai Jack, but it doesn't work for that show.

It's certainly rewarding to regular viewers.

Literally Tumblr: The Animated Series

watched 2 episodes, 2 awful episodes. The fries store one and the hospital horror gems episode.
Seriously? Is this the best cartoon ever?

exactly. 80% of this show is comy feels good filler and once in awhile viewers are thrown a bone with an action ep, and somehow the SU fagdom claims its filled with tons of lore and continuity.

>Watching 2 random episodes as a basis for your opinion on the entire show

I'm only on episode 5 right now but thats autistic

Depends on the setting and cartoon. You wouldn't expect Bugs Bunny to go DEEPEST LORE on you for a reason.

It's not bad if the show is able to be binged easily. It's annoying otherwise

comfy*

The show is overhyped but it most certainly has the most thought out and intricate lore I've seen in a kids show so far.

>what is having a life and catching something on TV before going out and doing something
>what is turning the TV on for background noise but then getting into it and forming an opinion based on what you watch and sharing your opinion

SU fags are seriously the worst.

cry more bitch nigga

>Another "lol u have no life but i do" argument
Reminder that 70% of Cred Forums likes SU because they're not contrarian hipsters.

>Does continuity and lore make a cartoon inherently better?

No. It is a tool, not a rule.

>wow this show is soo bad i just kind of saw one of the episodes and i didnt enjoy it sufags are so dumb what do they even see in this?
>what, watch the show?? Haha what i have a life you know

Retard

The point of the show is comfy feel good with a side of gem hunting
The show is magical slice-of-life

You're on Cred Forums. Everyone here is insincere about everything. We Are Weaponized Insincerity.

Lore is almost always good, it be fun. adds Backstory to the world.
Continuity is like half and half for me. I'm sick fo how many TV shows are silly and fun for the first 6 episodes with hints of a story then do nothing but story with hints of silly and fun. Steven Universe actually went a long while with silly and fun with hints of story and lore. So I really do like it.

No, it can be good or bad, depending on execution

This is a board for discussion of comics and cartoons, not for your unbacked opinion

It certainly helps allot with making the whole thing more engaging

Honestly, yes absolutely. Why else are certain long-running animes successful as fuck?

Successful in Japan you mean.

>Why else are certain long-running animes successful as fuck?

They're coasting on earlier success. Why the hell else do you think The Simpsons is still going long after pretty much everyone agreed that the show isn't good any more?

It would not surprise me at this point if someone had found out how to bypass the captcha and were posting SU bait threads via script

LMAO holy shit are we on the same board? the amount of times people actually back up their opinions on this board is the same amount of times Trump's paid his taxes in the past ten years.

also, what am I even supposed to be backing here? all i poiinted out was the other user could've had multiple reasons for watching 2 random episodes and forming an opinion based on what he saw. if he didn't like it he didn't like it. its a fucking cartoon, he doesn't need to watch the entire fucking series to form an opinion on it. half the eps are filler anyway.

No.
Execution is the only thing that changes whether something is good or bad.

TV shows with substantial continuity seem to have become more and more popular during the past 10-15 years in the US. But animation is treated is treated very differently by both producers and audiences, so a similar shift will probably not occur there. I think having continuity is, as a rule, better than not having it.

This site would be better if it had Twitter's word limit, or maybe slightly more

>continuity
Yes.
>and lore
Eh, it doesn't hurt.

is this your personal blog?

$0.02 has been deposited into your account thank you for correcting the record

wtf #I'mwithHer now

they should only follow suit if they can actually execute it.

Not if the execution is piss poor.

>Us normies huh?

Does having a well-written narrative make a story better?

I'll let you work this out on your own time OP.

I hate Rose Quartz as a character. I don't like her design and she comes off as an insufferable mary sue to me.
Yeah I know, she's done cryptic stuff she never told anyone about, she misunderstood humans as carefree animals for a time.

t. Jasper

Well, continuity is always good, doesn't need to be constant, but for example if a character learns a important lesson I would be better if he wouldn't end up making the same mistake, but it depends on the type of the character/show, but overall they make the series more organic

And lore, well, I do love lore and reading wikis, but its not that necessary specially to slice of life cartoons

It works when you actually focus on your fucking story. I enjoy SU well enough but christ it has so much filler. Almost all of the first 40 episodes are inconsequential to the main story and every season begins with a bunch of filler episodes, only picking up towards the latter half. I don't care about onion or his stupid friends, or pearl not being over rose, I care about the whole plot with Jasper that you fucking started, or what homeworld is going to do with all of their soldiers dying/defecting.

That said, it's definitely something that I think deserves more attention. Most cartoons fall into the episodic comedy route and while I think that there's definitely a place for that, I really would like to see an actual continuous plot in more cartoons. Definitely not all though. And for the love of god do not follow the SU route.

To be fair, those are easily 2 of the weakest episodes the show has to offer.

I'm sorry you have no taste.

different strokes for different folks

different ways to tell a story are not inherently superior, they are more akin to ice cream flavors, you can like vanilla all you want, but some people will simply like chocolate, no matter how much you beg or argue, you cant get them to like a flavor they already made up their minds about

casual arguing over chocolate or vanilla is fun, vanilla master race fascists who get all rage over their beloved flavor is not

Su fucking sucks.

>Vanilla master race fascists
Yeah says the guy who likes chocolate. There is so much more you can do with vanilla. You can combine multiple different flavors to it and you'll still get a hint of vanilla but do it with chocolate and it tastes terrible. Notice how there is Vanilla Coke. Yeah when is the last time you heard of chocolate coke that sold well? Exactly fuck off Chocomoconiggaloco queer.

This, I had the same problem when Adventure Time couldn't seem to decide between being a lore heavy fantasy show, a wacky comedy, or experimental art piece. It wasn't so much that they were bad t any particular aspect of it but the fact that they would tease at some kind of larger story for an episode then go off air for, come back with filler, have a little snippet of a plot, then come back with more filler, the random art-shift episodes, the lemon episodes, the seemingly random attempts to close up on ld cliffhangers, and Fin's protracted romantic issues made the show incredibly frustrating.

In other words, if a cartoon wants to have lore and continuity focus on that.

And yet that one was episodic.

SU is mostly better in that regard in that it is much more consistent with its main story and character development episodes. The tradeoff however, is that because of this, the lower stakes episodes feel a lot more pointless and like filler.

No, the problem was that the narrative never actually committed to the changes it introduced thus making it completely toothless and dependent on the status quo, but this really wasnt the case until, say, season 4-5

No, and no.

SU uses lore pretty well, to the point where it's not a stretch to say that the SU lore is really the best thing about the show, by far, and that without it people wouldn't give anywhere near as much of a shit about it, be it here or anywhere else.

More cartoons should feel free to use lore, though only if they do it well. Avatar and SU are examples on how to use continuity well, Adventure Time is how you use lore to dick over your fanbase over the course of 7+ seasons.

No but they're good elements that more shows should incorporate. Seriously, you don't need to be familiar with all the previous story bits to enjoy a good later episode of SU or AT.

>Seriously, you don't need to be familiar with all the previous story bits to enjoy a good later episode of SU or AT.

You kinda do for SU considering the show is pretty wrapped up in its own continuity.

AT lore literally changed nothing.
>Ice King is actually a deranged man from before the world got nuked wielding a cursed crown that drives him to insanity but keeps him alive
>Okay well let's not do anything with that for 2 years.

Imagine cartoons are sandwiches at Subway

Lore, action, story, character building, detail/polish, etc. are like toppings on a sandwich.

SU/Adventure time are examples of a shit-ass-needs-to-be-fired-employee's first try

I don't want just lore on my fucking sandwich you fuck, I want like 4 other toppings, you can't just load my sandwich with two toppings and move on, you're a retard, I need some of all of it, in the right places, so I enjoy all of the sandwich all the time and don't run into any parts that are only 1 or 2 toppings, that's fucking boring, that's a shit sandwich, if I take a few bites and I'm only getting one ingredient, someone fucked up, it's OK to take a bite on very rare occasion that might only have a few toppings, because I can understand savoring specific flavors, but that shit better only last 1 bite, and better not happen very often at all

To be honest the whole thing with Simon is one of the few decent ongoing character arcs in AT, if only in how Finn an Jake's dynamic with him slowly changes over the corse of the show.

But yeah, AT is usually shit at trying to follow ongoing plotlines.

SU's problem is that while it does a FAR better job than AT at introducing lore and ongoing plots and character arcs, it still falls into the same trap of putting it on the sidelines so they can focus on unimportant shit for the next several episodes. While they do a better job at it than AT, it comes across as a bigger problem here because usually SU's more one off episodes are usually mediocre compared to the plot/character arc ones.

The lack of meaningful "lore" is one of the reasons cartoons have always been seen as mindless entertainment for kids, same as how episodic comedies or police dramas are mindless entertainment for adults.

Any show without continuity and worldbuilding is not worth watching.

Good job USA for finally starting to catch up to Japan after like half a decade of pumping out nothing but garbage.

no, but do think that cartoons with literal no continuity where every week whatever happened last time is forgotten forever are pretty dead

shows get boring and hard to be invested in if things never end up mattering for more than 5 minutes

user, you might be too fat for cartoons

It's not so much that continuity automatically makes something better, but that it's a necessity in some cases. Not having continuity means the show is pretty much relegated to comedy or action, which is fine for those who think animation should only be used for those two genres.

Shows without continuity needs to hit it off with the viewer almost immediately; either you like the style of humor or you don't. Shows with long story arcs can build viewer emotional investment over time. That's definitely an advantage.

are you anons eating alright?

Most of the time.

>Should all future cartoons follow this route?

There is still a place for episodic cartoons.