Other urls found in this thread:

cbr.com/comic-book-legends-revealed-219/
youtube.com/watch?v=fadzZwx85e0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

McFlurry, agent of shield

This

Literally came in just for this

Favorite page

COMIC LEGEND: Jim Steranko’s run on Nick Fury was repeatedly (and fairly oddly) censored by Marvel.

Jim Steranko was a major artist for Marvel Comics during the late 1960s, but at the same time, he and Marvel were often at odds a bit over how to handle his artwork, generally because Marvel was worried about the Comics Code.

Steranko was doing the Nick Fury, Agent of SHIELD co-feature in Strange Tales during the late 1960s when, in one particular panel featuring Countess Valentina (Val) Allegro De Fontaine (the sexy SHIELD agent who became Nick Fury’s paramour), Marvel actually blacked out her buttocks!

Say Steranko, “There was a page-tall figure of Val seen from the back, and I put a lot of shine on the outfit, particularly on her buttocks. I defined the form on satin material — and they eliminated the shine. Blacked it all in because it was too hot!”

Here’s the panel from Strange Tales #168…

Now, as you might imagine, typically, in that outfit, the Countess would be having a line to denote her cleavage. Instead, it was removed.

Amusingly enough, in the issue where her buttocks was blacked out, there was another panel where Steranko’s cleavage line remained on an ancillery character…

The cleavage lines were removed specifically by request of the Comics Code (Marvel did the other edits usually as a mix of what their view of what the Comics Code would find objectionable mixed with suggestions from the Comics Code, but the cleavage lines were specifically taken out by request of the Comic Code).

The above panel of the Countess was also part of Marvel’s other particularly hilarious editing job.

Here is the page as it appeared in Nick Fury, Agent of SHIELD #2…

In the middle of the bottom panels, there is a picture of a phone.

Steranko originally drew a phone off the hook…

but Marvel had another artist literally draw the phone ON the hook, because a phone off the hook was too suggestive.

As Steranko recalled, “One panel also showed a telephone that was off the hook. They considered it suggestive, and put it back on. Now, every time I pass a phone that’s off the hook, I get horny!”

cbr.com/comic-book-legends-revealed-219/

I've been reading a lot of older comics, recently. Did they have more creative freedom back then? It feels like they were more open to experimentation.

The end thanks for reading

Thanks for posting these great digitals.

Steranko was the only one who really wrote his own ticket. Nobody else managed to keep his art. Then again characters were a different story.

kind of. marvel also just had really loose organization between stan leaving and shooter coming on. very inmates running the aslyum

one of the big scams was being the editor on the book you were writing and getting paid twice.

Yay

You welcome user

Good

at this year's Dragon*Con Larry Hama claimed these three pages inspired the GI Joe comic "Silent Interlude", which everyone seems to like

how can one man be so based?

Best Fury pic ever.

Hell yeah

No idea

As was said in the last thread, this is pretty much the best comic art ever.

Why can't Fury Jr be this cool?

I have this story in tpb ultimate collection. Steranko is fucking awesome. Go lurk about him more, user.

youtube.com/watch?v=fadzZwx85e0

this sonovubitch slapped Bob Kane in a face, man

I'll just go try and find a soundtrack metal enough for this.

Fuck yeah

Agreed with this.

His twitter is the most entertaining twitter in existence.

Steranko SHIELD was ahead of its time. Thanks for storytimin user

Agreed. You welcome user.

Is this collected in an omnibus or anything?

bump

Thanks

Collected in S.H.I.E.L.D. by Jim Steranko: The Complete Collection

Agreed.

Bump

Thanks

Now I know what Bruce Timm meant when he said Steranko is "out-ditkoing Ditko".

Thank you