Thunderbolts #1-5

(Kind of) Storytime of Pain

It's like Liefeld, but with more feet.

At least Kobik a cute.

>Storytime of Pain
Storytime of Mediocrity is more like it.

It's almost impressive how they manged to make a Thunderbolts series bland and uninteresting. Even the bad T-Bolts stuff is capable of evoking an emotional reaction. This is just dull.

Just wait till the letter pages

Acknowledging it's not great, I do hope it's a sign that they're letting Gunn do a T-Bolts movie. Ideally one without Ross.
No offense to Mustache Hulk, but this is more of Villains deal, and he is essentially a well intentioned extremist.
Plus the first version of the Thunderbolts needs to be Bad Guys posing as Good Guys until they realize they like the adulation of the masses and betray their leader to actually be Good Guys. And then later Hawkeye might join them, or something. If you do a Ross led Thunderbolts, it'll just end up being a knock off of Suicide Squad. Granted, Marvel could probably do a better version of Suicide Squad than DC did (it'd be hard NOT to), but I'd much prefer to see the original idea of the Thunderbolts.

Careful what you wish for, user. Remember what MCU Guardians of the Galaxy did to the comics version.

I gotta say, since Abners been on the straight and narrow for a while and the others have been more morally malleable, it does seem weird that they all just spontaneously decided to get the band back together. I mean if this isn't a sign of a major motion picture being announced in the next year or so, I'm not sure what their game is, other than someone wanted to do a new Thunderbolts ongoing and for some reason they thought Bucky should be in it.

To be fair user, Bendis started working on his own Guardians series well before the movie came out, and it was still shit. It continued to be shit after he started trying to make it more like the movies, but mostly because of mediocre writing and not because of aesthetics and references.
So yeah, even if there is a movie, this book probably won't improve. But it will help give Thunderbolts characters more prominence in popular culture, which will ensure the characters don't fall back into comic limbo.
Though I'd prefer Songbird staying on Ewing's New Avengers (which will soon become USAvengers) instead of going over to Thunderbolts. I mean it's nice to see her with her bros again, but Ewing is the superior writer.
Hey maybe we could just get Ewing to write the Thunderbolts. Then everybody wins!

I think the problem of Zubbolts is that the stuff that would be actually interesting to explore like how they ended up in Pleasant Hill, what effects it had on them, what they think about it, how and why they got back together again, the team reacting to Fixer being alive again, why the hell they are following and listening to Bucky in the first place, etc. got shoved to the sidelines or ignored in favor of focusing on Bucky and Kobik at the expense of everyone else.

At least most of the Pleasant Hills stuff was briefly glossed over. It wasn't explained to a good degree but it was explained.
>Bad Guys were in pleasant hills
>Bucky Helped them break out
>Abner was also in Pleasant Hills and he thinks SHIELD is fucking up, cause they are
>They work for Bucky cause why not
It's dumb, but it's at least a setup.
Try asking Bendis what happened to the that whole Superior Iron Man thing. He just completely forgot about it. Didn't even bother an aside like, "Oh thank god I'm not inverted anymore. That was a wacky couple a months." And you can't even say the reboot just wrote that storyline out of existence, cause the damn I-Ron Man suit actually shows up in his run. He still has the damn Symbiote Suit just wandering around! Near sick children no less!
What is wrong with Bendis?!

I'm sorry I get a little weird about, that guy.

I feel like this moment alienated a lot of potential readers right off the start. If you are writing a c- or d-lister book it's probably not a smart idea to give the impression to the fans of said c/d-listers that you consider these characters disposable shock-value fodder.

Yeah but it's not as bad as having 3 crossovers right after that.
Seriously it's
>vs Inhumans
>vs Squadron
>vs Miles Morales
all right in a row. If you're constantly having crossovers it's kinda hard to focus on your characters.

Yep, every single tumblr stereotype is on proud display in the letter pages. Do female fans really just want all the male characters to hook up?

Bump

Sales poison incoming

05/16 Thunderbolts #1 - 45,169
06/16 Thunderbolts #2 - 36,865 (-18.8%)
07/16 Thunderbolts #3 - 26,588 (-27.9%)
Thunderbolts 4 18,128

should've put a non shit artist on it

KAWAII WINTER SOLDIER

The sad thing is that there are some good ideas here and on the whole #4 was a step up...but even then it's not anywhere near approaching good or at least decent.

Bump

>literally tumblr comments

>Kobik Ex Machina
this shit really cheapens the rest of the issue tbqh

What a twist!

Now for a double dose of cancer

bump

Why do Liefeld imitators draw "better" than him?

If I was the writer I would seriously refuse to answer this garbage.
I want to slap the fuck out of these pieces of wasted air, I can't imagine what it's like for people to dismiss all the rest of the work you put into the book over cleavage shots.

I really can't stand the Inhumans. Every comic I've read with them in it just makes me like them less and less.

If it wasn't for my respect for Zub, I would have dropped at issue 2.
This issue gave me the hope to hold onto at least one more issue, and the quality has steadily increased...

Nice

Inhumans were a mistake

How painful is this, and is it worth reading if I want to understand what's going on with Kobik for Captain Hydra?

It's mostly boring, with the letter pages as the painful part of the book.

At least Erik seems to be written well in this. He's got the sister connection with Kobik like with Jolt but it looks like everyone else is just shades of themselves. Especially Karla.