Why are current comics so ashamed of their campy history?

why are current comics so ashamed of their campy history?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=DnPivvjvleI
youtube.com/watch?v=kguIY09YjUc
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

That's a tv show.

>you look like a damn giraffe
Why is his neck so long and thin?

Cause it looks dumb

Why are Cred Forums posters so ashamed of their board?

Because everything needs to be gritty and realistic nowadays.

But the MCU isn't gritty.

The Netflix shows are, though.

You say this as if it's a negative. You weren't even alive when Power Man had that costume.

youtube.com/watch?v=DnPivvjvleI

Because the way people dressed back then looks stupid compared to how people dress today. And sometimes comic looks don't translate well into live action.

That being said, I thought he pulled off the tiara well.

And it's just as ashamed.

The same reason people make fun of disco outfits

Jesus Christ, what an asshole.

Ashamed would mean they don't even reference the old tiara outfit, since they literally show Luke in a comic accurate costume during his orgin story u can't say they are ashamed of it, it's more like when you look at how you used to dress in highschool and blush, same thing.

Isn't his costume just based on old 70s disco stuff? I too would think I look ridiculous in the 2000s wearing stuff from the 70s

You're right. We should completely take on our campiness. We all know how well that works out.

Oh come on now, why is everyone so damn sensitive about this kind of thing? Its a dated look and hes wearing a damn tiara. Im happy they referenced it

You know, there was a time where I hated CW for being fucking lazy in the costume department. Now I take that back, theyre just terrible translating this shit in general

Even in-universe Luke Cage has been kinda ashamed of the whole Power Man persona for over a decade. It was born out of the blaxploitation era and died with it.

Because that shit isn't cool by today's standards.

You should be HAPPY that they actually acknowledged it.

Because of shitty writers. Luke Cage was a superhero on a budget. He made himself a costume and gave himself a name for brand recognition. It's nothing to be ashamed of, especially since all the other superheroes were doing the exact same thing

Right? Like when Cap wore that comic accurate outfit in TFA. Its not like its mean spirited or anything. Its just they throw it in as something fun

Come on man, you never got embarassed looking back at some shit you did in the past because it used to be cool? That's how Luke is with the blaxploitation era, it's hindsight cringe

What would you do? especially on their budget?

You know I don't completely hate that Obsidian costume

Stargirl is beyond terrible, though, that star isn't even straight.

So reinvent it. Instead of cancelling his series in 1986, they should have moved his belt to around his neck and swapped his silk shirt for an adidas tracksuit jacket. Instantly cool again.

Let me guess you still post like you did when you were 14. The old costumes look like shit 90% of the time on street level heroes, let me guess you want punisher to have the jumpsuit again?

I dont need to have lived though the 70's to enjoy the fun, outlandish nature of classic comics as opposed to gritty, grounded realism.

Of course I want the Punisher to have a jumpsuit again. This isn't 1999, put the leather trenchcoat in the trash..

>Luke cursing

dropped. glad i only watched 1 ep

>trenchcoat
It's a duster

I doubt you even watched episode one given that stupid ass comment you just posted.
Sorry Pop, I'll add one to the jar

And then in the 90s they could have reinvented his metal headband as a bandana headband.

They're ashamed because they're adapting one genre to another. And when you do that, certain elements work and others don't.

Not all superhero costumes work because costumes are primarily designed and utilized to draw the eye on a page. With static action, your eye needs to read a character before you have to read who they are. You look at a page and the yellow shirt draws your eye and you think "that's Power Man" without having to read the dialogue.

In a TV show, or any visual medium, the rules are different. You can't just drop someone into their costume for the costume's sake because the costume, and the world, function differently on TV.

And, to be fair, Luke Cage as a character isn't defined by his costume as much as, say, Spider-Man or Captain America. It's not as inherently tied to his identity as the others, and that's fine.

Alternative, golden Versace shirt.

I actually thought his costume looked pretty baller in that episode, but it also probably wouldn't have worked if he was wearing it every episode.

I feel the same about Diamondback's costume, too.

Are they?

They should have just given diamondback an ugly snakeskin pattern jacket and a turtleneck sweater.

We will never see its like again.

This moment was jarring as hell.

Its also hilarious that everyone cites Cage surviving this as a testament to his strength, when an 80 year old woman survived the very same ordeal

I remember before TFA came out, the director (or someone) mentioned that scene in an interview.

There were a ton of threads about how insulting that was to the character and his creators, etc.

But then it turned out to be a pretty beloved scene around here, a favorite from the MCU for sure

Thanks to Cage

>the shitposters in the comments

Can't contain your aspergers, huh guys?

Because, by and large, they should be ashamed of it.

If a man walked around in pastel high-top pants like they wore back in the 70's, he'd get weird looks, even from some of the 50-60 somethings that participated in those same cultural trends. Show them an old video of the same fashions, though, and they'd accept it as perfectly normal because that was the time. Everything changes over time, especially fashion and clothing, and everything that was once popular one day becomes shameful.

The old looks have their place in the old books. That doesn't mean they belong in the new ones.

>All these fucking hipsters shitting on the original look

I hate nu-Cred Forums.

She lived because he got her out before more rubble could fall on her or she bled out.

But she survived the initial "building falling on her head" which is what people say is so crazy about his situation

If you read his damn debut issue you'll see even Luke thought his costume was wack.

She also survived because Cage got on top of her when the rocket hit and inadvertently put her in a position where the rubble didn't hit her in a way that killed her.

user, you ever changed your style, then a few years down the line you see an old photo of yourself and think, "Man, I looked fucking ridiculous. What was I thinking?"

Well, it's kinda like that.

You do know Luke himself said his costume looked stupid IN THE FIRST ISSUE OF HIS COMIC, right?

Was that his real hair?

I can suspend my disbelief for an episode so I can see some nice, iconic costumes.
If you look at any black guy in a leather jacket, nobody in their right mind would think "oh that's Luke Cage." You show a guy in a yellow slightly unbuttoned shirt and a silver tiara, and you can recognize him right away. The costume is part of his identity. You change that, and its a slippery slope.
How would you feel if your best friend suddenly started wearing only Goth clothing, but nothing else changed. It'd be weird, right?

The thing is that's actually very similar his look in the comics, just without the stupid helmet

>actually having the green and yellow snake outfit
The absolute madmen!

Can we all agree that this show had amazing villains?

Lot of people had problems with the, especially Diamondback. I loved him though. He was just so blaxsploitationy and over the top and that's just what a lot of Cage's villains are.

Thinking back, yeah I liked all of them. Wish we got some more flashback scenes of Mama Mabel, or "OG Black Mariah" as I refer to her.

*them

At least they bothered to contrive a reason for us to get to see him in it.

Nigga, I am your brother

I think the original look is great. I'm happy the show acknowledged it. But I also understand that the original look is also a product of it's time.

Like, you don't expect Nightwing to have a massive popped collar anymore either.

Also, Diamondback's outfit is fucking perfect!

Agreed. While Cottonmouth seemed like Black Fisk at the start he definitely wasn't.

Black Mariah was great.

And Diamondback is the fourth best MCU villain thus far (after Kingpin, Loki, and Iron Man).

Luke actually wears the costume then makes a joke about it.

Jessica Jones just shows the costume and goes lol that sucks its so lame.

I think LK had way more respect for its original material than JJ had.

But JJ's original costume was only seen in a flashback in her original run. A flashback done by a different artist to highlight how separate it was.

It wasn't really a serious part of her character to begin with.

>MCU introduces Luke Cage
>Suddenly everyone on Cred Forums has always been a Luke Cage fan and always loved him and demands his character be loyal to the Luke Cage comics they grew up loving and have favored for years

You faggots really are predictable, fickle, and trite.

Unless I'm wrong I do believe Luke Cage is the most popular black superhero, so are you really that surprised that people want to comment on a character when he's finally gotten a live action adaptation?

Luke cage has always been shit and will always be shit.

This. It's actually ridiculous that people keep bringing it up. It's not like it was an incredibly important part of her history. Hell, she didn't even like wearing it IN THE COMIC.

I'm more commenting on the fact that MCU fags always pretend to be into/experts on a character they never cared about or talked about before simply because they now exist in the MCU, and they learned all their history from a couple wiki articles.

And no, prior to him being announced for Netflix plenty of black super heroes have been talked about way more and way more often on this board...including John Stewart, Blade, Spawn, Miles Morales, Black Panther, and fucking Static, that should tell you something.

Two of those characters have been on the big screen. One of them was on a beloved TV series. Miles is still too new to discuss whether he has legs. I mean in general sales I think Luke Cage has been an incredibly popular Black superhero for quite a while. So some people who are actually fans of Luke Cage are going to comment on him.

Of course half the people are Cred Forumstrarians who haven't read a single Luke Cage comic and just wanna be elitist faggots because of his outfit from the 70s even though he hasn't been wearing that outfit in nearly 30 years.

>I'm not counting Spawn as having a live action movie.
>His TV show on HBO wasn't bad though.

wow, this is on par to the first season of daredevil

except for that corny as fuck rap from method man, c'mon meth, but even the cornyness is hilarious in a good way, i mean it's luke cage afterall

1970s hip hop artists dressed like faggots, why not Cage too?

Acknowledging campy history results in clashing tone (or ridiculous "serious" explanations of shit like boob windows or invisible planes that are even worse) unless you're willing to commit to something like Adam West Batman

why did you even mention it sometimes ya gotta keep shit to yourself now im not watching that shit show all because of you

nigga ya didnt watch shit yo dumbass prolly watched jessica jones thinking it was luke cage

No. Cottonmouth was the only enjoyable one and that was because of how flawed he is. Diamondback was godawful especially.

because they want to be ""mature""
the MCU is campy as fuck(besides Cap America 2 and 3). that's why is so much fun and it sells like hotcakes.

why is Dead Winchester such a meme?

>what is suspension of disbelieef?

That outfit actually works for the 1940s when they wouldn't have had materials like Black Widows outfit that would have made the design non silly.
That plastic staff tho is awful.

>is so much fun and it sells like hotcakes

The MCU is grimdark.

It doesn't matter in what context a character is popular, it just matters that people like, know, and talk about them frequently. Luke Cage has never been a character you could say any of these things about on this board until now....so I don't buy that people are suddenly invested in "not muh" about a character the majority of people here most likely never gave a crap about

prove me wrong. protip: you fucking can't

Your job depends on that, unpaid intern.

Quipfests aren't funny, user. And they have a lot of flops like AoU or Thor 2.

Nigger, I fucking dare you to start dressing up in your 90s or 80s attire

lel

I mean, you can say AoU underperformed but 1.4 billion worldwide is hardly a flop for anyone.

Cape comics today seem more open to their campy past than the ones in 80s and 90s. Morrison's All Star Superman and Bat Epic made the silver age cool again.

Is this moment supposed to be hilarious? Because that music change made me kek a bit.

Ahhhh, that's good camp.

He has a ton of great trademark smiles and smirks

I can accept that on movies, the regular comics costumes just can't work how they're supposed to. I'm happy as long as the new costumes keep the spirit of the original.

At least this one they kept a part of Luke's history, Daredevil didn't even get a reference to his yellow suit.

I loved how in Watchmen, all the original Minutemen just had spandex, felt and plastic for their costumes. It retains the contrast between the Golden Age and the gritty, realistic modern age.

because normie scum

/thread

Don't know what you're talking about, pham.

Proportions, user

Yep, the entire show is full of intentional camp like in blaxpoitation movies.

hmmmm.... lets see, maybe because their "history", was loaded with racism, misogyny, homophobia, transphobia and transmisogyny, and just bigotry in general.

isnt that an anti-air missile launcher?

>it's bad on purpose!

ur mom is bad on purpose

Because dated camp doesn't fit the modern tone.

youtube.com/watch?v=kguIY09YjUc

Kill yourself, Cred Forumsmblrite.

More like it should go in the dumpster lmao

Dead. People can barely accept super powers for what they are. Why do you think we get science Thor or seashell skin man? Or remember the Batman cell phone hack laughter?

Besides what does the yellow even matter? Luke hasn't worn that outfit in ages in the comics.

Because we hate everything since we dont want the rest of Cred Forums to think we have pleb taste. I ONLY WATCH KINO, I ONLY LIKE KINO. I AM PATRICIAN

I thought the villains and supporting characters were all great. Better than most Metflix villains barring Wesley Killgrave and Fisk

No fucking way is he the most popular. Black Panther and John Stewart are way more popular.

I'd say you're pretty mistaken. Most popular would be Storm. After that Cyborg or some variant of Black Lighting.

Luke is only popular because of Bendis and now MCU push.

>who is Storm

I was hype the entire time Luke brought the motherfuckin' ruckus. The fight choreography is nowhere near Daredevil but the soundtrack almost makes up for it,

Any essential reading for Luke Cage guys? I want to get into that Luke Cage series from the 70s that evolves into Heroes for Hire, but I can't find it yet and I was wondering if he had important role in other comics.

>Luke Cage.
>Most popular black superhero.

>Storm
>Cyborg
>Black Panther
>John Stewart
>Static

Luke Cage is on par with Black Lightning and like, Steel.

It isn't so much that they're ashamed, but that we today realize a grown man dressing up in a colorful costume to fight crime is an inherently ridiculous image. Before post-modernism kicked in, no one questioned why a 6 foot indestructible jive talkin' brother was wearing a crown and chains for a belt. They just went "neat" and ran with it.

Today though, a costume or any other campy aspect of comics is seen as tired and done, so they have to come up with something fresh to keep interest. They might have a nod here and there, like Cap's stage costume or Jessica Jones calling her original comic outfit stupid.

Because the guys who grew up reading comic books are now the ones writing them and are desperate to portray them as something "mature."

Seriously. Luke was a "literally who" before this show to anyone who doesn't read comics.

I just feel like that metal spike is one unfortunate slip or headbutt away from going straight into his eye.

You seem to be confusing comics with a TV show

Yeah for some reason they've not reprinted Luke Cage's solo series recently.

His original series is great though
>Luke Cage: Hero for Hire issues 1-16
>Luke Cage: Power Man 17-49

that was 20 of the industry

the industry has existed for 80 years

there's no reason to focus on that one era

silver age romanticists need to let that shit go and stop obsessing over it

>b-but teevee
? ? ?

Is there something you want to tell us?

Yes

Cred Forums pls go

That's right, get it off your chest! Say it to the world! I doubt any of them are here, though.

They're always here

Anybody hated that terrible wig they had him wear

it's fun on purpose

>original Luke Cage
>silver age

you look like a damn fool

The fake beard was worse.

Camp has repeatedly proven to be box-office/sales poison

Netflix villains are better than movie villains.
Prove me wrong.

>had the bracers AND the tiara
>showed him busting out of the prison
>showed him with the yellow v neck
>Sweet Christmas
Nigga, that's not being ashamed, that's taking hold of it.

Jesus it looked like his hair was made from Brillo! That and the 'acting' from Shades were the only things that really took me out.

Seriously Shades' delivery was slower than that friend from Malcolm in the Middle who had a breathing problem.

People bring up how much they loved Shades, and it made sense when he was being smarmy to Cottonmouth because he was all, "Oooh, Diamondback's gonna get you" but then DB shows up and Shades is just as smarmy to him.

I'd been thinking "That's not how being an underling works" right up until Zip tried to strangle him and not only somehow failed, but Shades killed him and the two other guys blithely standing there. Shades was just gross all around Save for his and Black Mariah's kinda sorta hookup. That I liked and had been feeling for the whole series after they started interacting