Is Alex Ross the greatest comic book artist of all time, in terms of highest talent level?

Is Alex Ross the greatest comic book artist of all time, in terms of highest talent level?

A lot of people say he is.

>stiff, unexpressive art

He's a gimmick artist and a boring one at that.

No, because there's more to sequential art than making a good pin-up.

One thing I will say in relation to this is that his more "comic booky" shit is actually really good, his energy blasts, kirby krackles that sort of stuff. Otherwise I agree.

It's a shame something like thT never actually happened in comic

Stiff, unexpressive art can still be really fucking good art.

To move to an Cred Forums comparison, Akari (the dude who makes Jojo) draws some of the most beautiful/horrifying shit, but it too tends to be very stiff in appearance. That doesn't make his abilities to render the human form any less impressive.

They're both still fantastic artists, but they're also glass cannons. Similarly there are artists that can pull off action and motion well, but only at a lower level of artistic quality.

I value action and motion highly when it comes to comics.

>a board from Cred Forums disliking someone who is popular
wow color me surprised

He's good

>Alex Ross cover
>no Alex Ross interior

I will never stop hating him for that.

Hard to find amount of people needed for monthly comic.

Araki's paneling it much more fluid than Ross' though, he draws fantastic action. Also his art is expressive as fuck.
Araki is a great action aritst, I don't know what this guy is talking about

>comparing Ross to Araki
Call me when Ross does anything even this simple in terms of action.

I haven't read nearly enough Jojo, but what I have I loved. The new physical releases are really nicely put together too.

Alex Ross is an amazing artist by any technical standard that you want to judge art on. His style however, does not quite work for most comics, which need to be expressive and able to convey action and movement.

I also feel like he is way to overused as an artist to lend gravity and importance to terrible big two comics that don't deserve it. His art was better used sparingly in really well written heavy comics like Kingdom Come or the Peace on Earth/War on Crime/Spirit of Truth/Power of Hope graphic novels than the typical month to month crap that gets pushed out. His work is clearly better the more time that he has to work on it, and his style is really cheapened when its used to make Generic Marvel Event #12 seem more important than it is.

>Also his art is expressive as fuck
Pre-SBR maybe.

So most of it?

How did you feel about him doing all those JSA covers?

>How did you feel about him doing all those JSA covers?

>His art was better used sparingly

Presumably, the dude was fine with it.

There are any number of classically-trained painters and illustrators who are roughly on the same level (or even better) than Ross when it comes to using fine art technique to render comic book figures and environments in a naturalistic/realistic style (see, for example, the work of the late Sergio Toppi).

He's a talented painter/illustrator and all, but his superhero work bores me, to be honest. When people call him "the Norman Rockwell of comics" they're more accurate than they think: Like Rockwell, Ross has brilliant technique. And just like Rockwell, Ross chooses to use that technique on banal, lowest common denominator subject matter.

More power to him, though. He's found a well-paying niche in an industry that has a history of screwing over its artists.

He's a fag sellout who hates anything after the silver age from DC but will draw any modern crap for Marvel.

Rockwell's characters are really expressive and his art just looks so good though, maybe you could argue his subject matter holds him back but he's leagues better than Ross. Maybe you already know this and you're just trying to compare them to their contemporaries, hard to tell from your post

>Is Alex Ross the greatest comic book artist of all time, in terms of highest talent level?
ITT: shit redditors and newfags say

Oh, I'm definitely comparing Ross and Rockwell to their contemporaries. Sorry if I didn't make that clear in my post.

I agree that Ross isn't on Rockwell's level in terms of a straight-up comparison—it's just that they seem to occupy similar positions (and engender similar opinions, both negative and positive) in their respective professional fields.

Quads of truth

Ross is fantastic on a technical illustration level, you can't deny that. He fails as a storyteller though, putting too much emphasis on rendering and polished imagery over clear and concise storytelling.

nah, the dude who does Requiem Vampire Knight is

>Alex Ross cover
>No Alex Ross interior
>Esad Ribic instead

It must be so hard to draw seven fists.

Ross hasn't done it yet. I think the most dynamic I ever saw him was with Riddler's holocoat in JUSTICE.

I don't think he's particularly great in any capacity.

I just want to know why Ross decided to stop having his Silver Age boner when Secret Wars began.

My nigga

desu SW was lowest tier Ribic