Beach City Drift Sucks

Beach City Drift is garbage. It's message is hamfisted, when it could have been handled with complete finesse and it could have been a really good and interesting episode, and it's such an important topic to The Crewniverse I'm surprised they handled it so poorly.

Steven is supposed to be an inherently compassionate character, who does his very best to look past the flaws of the people around him to see some good in them. So...why couldn't he do that for Kevin? I know why, it's because the episode is supposed to be about consent and teach kids that those who don't seek consent when doing things need to be vilified.

The thing is though, you take Steven, a character that's supposed to be amazingly forgiving, he's forgiven characters who threatened his, his friends, and his planet's very existence, yet you're telling me this character couldn't forgive a persistent asshole trying to score some pussy? What the hell kind of priorities are those? It'd have made more sense had Connie been the person with the inherent dislike for Kevin, but Steven had such a grudge against Kevin that he remembered him and Connie didn't even recognize him even a little bit at first.

This episode was handled extremely poorly when you compare it with the world that's been built around this show. The Crewniverse dropped the ball BIG TIME with this episode, and it's a topic that not only deserves to be handled well, but with the crew making the show having the priorities they do had absolutely no reason to be as bad as it was. The picture aren't even the only criticisms that can be made toward this episode, I've seen many other criticisms such as Stevonnie's obsession with Kevin being a bit creepy, even if she does realize that eventually, it was just handled weirdly. Just not a good episode in the least. What do you guys think?

K

Y

S

Sage

You know, you can just not like the episode.
Even if people disagree.
I like running in the nineties. Especially with legs such as those. Mmmm-hmm.

>Steven is supposed to be an inherently compassionate character, who does his very best to look past the flaws of the people around him to see some good in them. So...why couldn't he do that for Kevin?
Didn't you see Stevonnie (and therefore Steven), get sympathetic with Keven the moment he told them his sob story? The thing is that Steven will overlook bad things with people if they have at least a grain of good in them, and Steven literally never saw Kevin in a good light.

That doesn't make sense. We know nothing of Peridot's past, and Steven, once she was disarmed, had an inherent compassion for her where he wanted to make her see the value in Earth, and she tried to destroy the place, and turned old Crystal Gems' dead bodies into weird experiments. Kevin is a unique example of character treatment in the show and in the context of what Steven has gone through it makes no sense.

Because Kevin is a male and you must learn to hate males.
>B-but what about Lars
Lars is trans so it really doesn't count.

Idk man even nice, compassionate characters can not like someone. Kevin just pushes Steven's buttons.

It'd have made more sense if Connie was the one who had to remind Steven what Kevin did though, and even then the level of hostility they showed is out of character for them, especially Steven. It's just an episode that stands out as poorly written by The Crewniverse when it should have been one they threw their hearts into.

Kevin had the smug arrogance and confidence in what he was doing, which made him inherently unpleasant to interact with. Peridot didn't have that vibe.
>and she tried to destroy the place, and turned old Crystal Gems' dead bodies into weird experiments.
She didn't though.

What other humans does Steven treat similar to gems? Humans are inherently evil, gems we're not sure.

Male sexual interest is bad I guess? I don't even watch this stupid lesbian rock show but I have a feeling that's what it's about.

I think you are missing the point big time.
1. The whole point of this episode was precisely to not let someone like Kevin get over yourself. The episode clearly depict Steven wrong for having so much hatred, so your complain there doesn't stand
2. Steven was very angry at Peridot when he thought she had betrayed him. Ready to tear her a new one, so your compairson doesn't even hold.
3. Steven is the kind to let a chance to everyone, INCLUDING KEVIN. Just like he did with Peridot, he listened to what Kevin had to say and was ready to work let it go. The big difference between Peri and Steven is that Peri actually told the truth about the Cluster threatening the earth and it's from that point trust between Steven and Peri build on. Kevin, on the other hand, made a sad story about his brother and, surprise surprise, just like for Peri, steven was ready to listen and let past conflicts be forgotten. And then Kevin said it was all bull and made fun of Stevonnie for believing him. Just like for Peri he displayed anger at this betrayal of trust.

The episode still conclude with steven simply stopping to let such action affect him.

This episode is actually good, user, you simply fail at basic comprehension.
There is zero contradiction in Steven's attitude.

Great post m'lord.

>Kevin is a unique example of character treatment in the show and in the context of what Steven has gone through it makes no sense.
seeIt's not unique, Steven reacted with anger too when he thought Peri had betrayed him.

Connie's a total doormat when it comes to social interaction though. She was mad, but because of her personality she wouldn't have expressed it, especially towards strangers. It's more logical for Steven to be the one to express, since he always wears his heart on the sleeve.

She clearly took part in the experiments Homeworld was conducting. Her original mission to Earth was to check on The Cluster, and she knew where the small sample Clusters were, so she clearly was involved in that too. She showed complete uninterest in Earth until she was on it and saw the value of it. All of this due to Steven's inherent will to help her see things that way, which is great, that's the kind of thing Steven's character does, but it's weird that Steven could be so forgiving to Peridot but inherently hate Kevin cause he's a persistent overconfident jerk.

I don't know what you're talking about there, maybe you meant it the other way around, but in the context of the series Gems are inherently hostile to humans and humans are just kind of there.

>She clearly took part in the experiments Homeworld was conducting.
Dude, she was born way after the war. she didn't even knew what the Crystal Gems were. She didn't take part in the experiments on earth and even if she did, Garnet would be the one to have beef with her rather than Steven.

The contradiction in Steven's attitude comes from the inherent hatred and irredeemability Steven seems to have for Kevin at the start of the episode. Even if Steven realizes later in the episode that this was wrong, it's still very odd and out of character for him to have this beef in the first place, especially over something as benign as what Kevin did.

I'm saying at the very least she kept logs of the experiments progress, which makes plenty of sense since in the episode where we discover these exist after Peridot comes up from the lower level where these things are they're out of their containers. She knew they were there and was checking on their progress. Also, yeah, you're right, Garnet should have been hostile towards Peridot, but this show has a theme of forgiveness that's core to the entire series, and for some reason in this episode Steven acts out of character and throws that to the wind until the ending, and I'm saying it's weird this was how the episode was handled in the first place.

>Kevin had the smug arrogance and confidence in what he was doing, which made him inherently unpleasant to interact with
How does Lars not have that whenever he wants to hang out with the "popular kids"?

>The contradiction in Steven's attitude comes from the inherent hatred and irredeemability Steven seems to have for Kevin at the start of the episode.
Yes, because he left Kevin on a bad impression, and unlike when he has beef with Lars (it has happened from time to time), he never get the chance to tell it straight to his face. So of course it has been internalised. So yes, it still make sense. Kevin is the only character who rubbed Steven the wrong way and for who he never could face him out immediately for that.

>I'm saying at the very least she kept logs of the experiments progress
She is not the one who put them there. also, Peri is basically full into the Diamond authority propaganda and the minute she get some space to think for herself, she actually see the Bullshit of it. In contrast with Kevin who is very aware of being an ass and is proud of it.

one has the excuse of ignorance, the other doesn't. PEri was given a chance and she took it. Kevin was given a chance (Stevonnie really lighten up when they heard his story) and used it to make more damage.

Because Lars' are not genuine. Steven knows that Lars used to be and can be a swell guy when he wants to, when he doesn't try to overcompensate for his insecurities.

>episode came out around 2 months ago
>People still complaining about it

>Peridot didn't have that vibe.
This is the same character who had a video screen in a death labyrinth for the sole purpose of bragging to her enemies about how she was going to kill them.

Well, the CG was preventing her from leaving the planet, which would have resulted in her certain death. Of course she was pissed.

It's not that people are complaining, it's because Steven is still a little bitch who got salty over a smug ass guy who tried to dance with Stevonnie

It's either be a salty bitch or a beta bitch.
Guess Steven is the former.

I figured that Steven's irrational hatred of Kevin had to do with being fused when it happened, so when he thinks back to Kevin he remembers getting very offended and emotional over it (which was actually Connie's half of the personality).

It's not like Steven ever got to tell Peridot that he didn't like the things she did before she came to him for help. Steven just inherently had a compassion for her. Also, keep in mind at this point Steven didn't know too much about Homeworld brainwashing. I can see what you mean about the internalized anger, it makes sense, but it doesn't make sense that he didn't consistently project those feelings onto characters he should have.

Remember kiddies. Have compassion for people who try to murder you but smug childish dickholes are irredeemable monsters. So ignore them and you'll find out they're obviously obsessed with you! Because everything revolves around you!

I dunno, mang. Most people who tried to murder me shown themselves to be quite amicable once we got to know each other.

What about the guy who cut you off on the road the other day?

Yeah, he got into a car crash on the next intersection. Poor guy.

Poor guy? He cut you off. Fucking bozo deserved it.

This. He was literally Hitler. Now tell me more about that fine fellow who tried to murder you.

I was being condescending.

>complacent in a plan

you just trolled me. the word you're looking for is COMPLICIT

You're right. Fuck.

Christ you're obsessed with baiting people about this particular episode, aren't you.

I'm sure he did, he's just pretending to be retarded.

>It's not like Steven ever got to tell Peridot that he didn't like the things she did before she came to him for help. Steven just inherently had a compassion for her.
he got to be part of the "poofing Peridot" operation. After she was humiliated, bubbled and poofed out, Steven had little to no reason to be mad at her. Also, please notice that the reason he freed her was not so much out of compassion but because he had the suspicion she might have important intel. After he saw her for being more of an ignorant gem, scared of being killed, and overwhelmed by propaganda. Steven started to trust her as she started to actually understand earth. And again see how Angry Steven react when he thought Peri had betrayed his trust.

> Also, keep in mind at this point Steven didn't know too much about Homeworld brainwashing. He knew she was new to earth and knew nothing about it. He literally had to explain to her what humans were the first time they interacted.
Steven literally said "Maybe once she knew how great Earth is, she'll join our side" spoiler alert[/spoiler]she did.

Kevin, on the other hand knew perfectly what he was doing and kept going despite of it. He doesn't have ignorance as an excuse (except for the "two kids" thing).

He had no reason to project anger toward someone he had taken part in beating her down. No need to carry anger on her after this.

>people
>plural

This is the episode that made me skip all the further filler townie episodes. Not only did jack shit get accomplished it damages Steven's character.

seedidn't damage anything.

Me too.

The internet does suck when trying convey such things, huh.

>being autistic enough to think only one person on the entire board has a problem with an episode

No, I just felt like making a post about an episode I didn't like of a show I love.

Oh absolutely.

I mean, he did act with compassion with monsters that actually tried to kill the gems, Lars who broke his trust atleast once, and at one point even Jasper.

He was compassionate towards her before that episode though. Remember when she fell off the cliff and got crushed and his first reaction was concern? Remember when they confronted her at the warp pad area and he was joking around with her? All signs that he never really had a burning dislike for her in the first place, he could tell (like he usually can) that she was scared and misunderstood, which is why he's so out of character and weird in this episode.

Also, I think you're missing my point, I didn't want Steven to carry his anger for Peridot beyond Catch and Release (or even before, I like how compassionate Steven is), I don't understand why he was so hamfistedly out of character in this episode just to hammer a moral home. It was a badly written episode IMO.

Okay, time to put thing into perspective, people.
Peri, the one Steven treat with compassion:
Was delated, hunted down like an animal, humiliated, poofed away and put in a bubble with clear intent for her to remain there forever.

Kevin, the one Steven hate so much with all of his rage
-wanted to win a race against him

Yes clearly, Steven is inconsistent, there.

Reminder that the reason she got out was not out of compassion but because Steven heard she had important intel.

Once out she started acting like a scared animal, so of course the good side of Seven took over.

Kevin acted like an ass from start to finish, but lo, the moment he tell his sad story, just like with Peri, Steven start to go mellow on him.

Consistent much?

Don't forget that Kevin is Matt Burnett's self-insert.

Not saying this episode is the best, but the sperg rage over it is just pathetic

Not everything is le sjws

>I don't understand why he was so hamfistedly out of character in this episode just to hammer a moral home. It was a badly written episode IMO.
Like said before he was in character.

Steven didn't start showing compassion for Peri before he released her. And he start showing compassion with Kevin too when he appear to show a bit of his damaged side too, just like Jasper. Only Kevin was just BSing around.

>He was compassionate towards her before that episode though. Remember when she fell off the cliff and got crushed and his first reaction was concern? Remember when they confronted her at the warp pad area and he was joking around with her? All signs that he never really had a burning dislike for her in the first place, he could tell (like he usually can) that she was scared and misunderstood, which is why he's so out of character and weird in this episode.
Gee, it's almost like Peri hasd never actually personally hurt him and thus didn't carry any hatred toward her. Not to mention, at this point, he is used to fight monsters that are a threat to him and defeat them without being angry about them.

Is it so hard to get that Kevin's hurt Steven in a way he is not used to. Not only that, but he also felt Connie's feeling and this played a role in it too.

I wonder how long it'll take for that one recent tripfag to reply to you.

My thread has nothing to do with SJWs. If anything, I praised them for the message they were going for; I just disliked the way they handled the end product. You're the first one to bring that word up.

You guys are all forgetting (or don't even know for those in the thread that don't even watch the show) that Kevin and his interactions with the gang were written by the same bitch that wrote that god awful Ruby/Sapphire arguing episode: Lauren Zuke. People in the fandom don't like her because whenever she gets to write an episode it's almost always going to have some shit in it where the characters all turn into her own personal mouthpieces for whatever "issues" she wants to address.
Don't blame Steven for inexplicably and illogically hating Kevin when he doesn't hate Lars, Ronaldo, Peridot, and even fucking Jasper, blame the shitty writer for making him do such a thing.

>that Kevin and his interactions with the gang were written by the same bitch that wrote that god awful Ruby/Sapphire arguing
Keyston Motel was a fucking awesome episode. Don't talk shit about it.

both drift an motel are well written character wise.

I assume that it was the Connie half of Stevonnie that hated Kevin at the dance and because of the way fusions work that hatred passed over to Steven.

But dancing is a metaphor for sex. Pushy dancing is a metaphor for rape. Kevin is a metaphorical rapist.

Metaphorical CHILD rapist.

I wasn't even talking about Keyston Motel you retarded triggered faggot.
I was talking about the episode where Ruby and Sapphire fuck up a diner because they can't reconcile their differences and it ends with Steven not solving their problem but instead going into crybaby mode shouting "NOOOOOO STOP FIGHTING IT MAKES ME SAD BAWWWWWWWW" which somehow is passed off as the actual solution here.

>Don't blame Steven for inexplicably and illogically hating Kevin
But it was very logica and consitantl, as already explained several times in this thread.

>I wasn't even talking about Keyston Motel
>I was talking about the episode where Ruby and Sapphire fuck up a diner
THIS IS the Keystone motel episode.

And this is a normal reaction for a kid an in character with Steven..

And we all know the punition a metaphorical CHILD rapist most be subdued to:

BE CHALLENGED TO A RACE!

Bruh. The show wouldn't exist if greg didn't FUCK A ROCK.

This has been discussed to death OP. We hate it too. We're not fucking tumblr.
There's literally 0 reason to post your ramblings because you're preaching to the choir.

The race is a metaphor for going to prison and getting raped in the ass.

>it's a topic that not only deserves to be handled well
Eh, yeah, but the issue is pretty well hamfisted by everyone. In a sense they are just par for the course on how badly they handled the topic.

But otherwise I agree on how big of a drop it was.

Anyone saying anything about how the point was it was wrong is missing that the episode starts with Steven feeling the way he does. Meaning he's felt that way for a long time. Anyone saying "Kevin knows he's doing wrong but still does" is using confirmation bias, because Steven certainly didn't know that. Steven holding that much hatred for Kevin especially considering how Lars is pretty much entirely a shit is inconsistent and terrible. I'm pretty sure Steven has even said "Lars just doesn't know how to express his feelings" as though that excuses him treating everyone like shit, and Kevin somehow couldn't possibly have good intentions for misreading a situation at a public dance club. Steven doesn't know shit and still assumes Kevin had malicious intent despite giving Lars, Peridot, and even Jasper the benefit of the doubt.
>Jasper's been catching corrupted gems and enslaving them, even fusing with one against its will, all for the purpose of exacting revenge on me
>AWW I'D BETTER HELP HER

What a shock, Steven's a fat little faggot who only judges people based on his feelings.

it makes perfect sense for Steven to loathe someone who is an asshole to him personally than people whom he fights because it's his job

see: any "hero's secret identity gets bullied by some rando normie and he can't do anything because he's out of his element" scenario

people are just butthurt because it's about feminism or whatever

That's such a surface level, strawman argument interpretation of the thread that I was almost not compelled to tell you how wrong you are, but, yeah, you're wrong. I'm fine with feminism, I'm not fine with bad writing.

>it makes perfect sense to loathe someone who's an asshole to you more than a person who will try to kill you

Well when I fear for my life I usually just offer to blow my attacker and they leave me alone after I suck them off.

An asshole will just tell me to go away and call me a gay freak.

Yes. It does. For example, soldiers don't necessarily hate the other side, even though it tries to kill them. In fact, soldiers often fraternize with the other side, realizing that it's not the guy two trenches over's fault that they have to shoot at each other. Conversely, the same person could be very well pissed if someone is an asshole to him in private life for no real reason. Or tries to rape him.

>Humans are inherently evil, gems we're not so sure
Literally every single gem outside of the main Crystal Gems and some of the rubies has tried to murder Steven.

Jasper and Yellow Diamond are salty life on Earth isn't dead yet.

Gems are basically parasitic aliens.

But yeah, sure, hoomans are evul and shit.

>soldiers don't necessarily hate the other side

Yeah totally. I can't tell you how many times the American soldiers in Vietnam were making out with the Viet Cong. There was no hate at all when they dressed up as civilians and attacked US soldiers.

He was protective of connie. Dont you hate couchebags sometimes more so then people who have done more harm to you in real life?

Vietnam isn't a good counterexample since that was pretty much a guerilla war and everyone hates guerillas with a passion for obvious reasons

Think WWI Christmas truces

Why are you so insistent on defending a creep user?
Are you a creep?

You forgot that Kevin insulted Greg at the beginning of the episode?

you're missing the point OP

Stevonie was creeped out by Kevin

if steven met him he's probobly been ok but steven remembers how Stevonie felt

The thing is, if someone physically attack you, you can fight back.

Someone who is just being an asshole, you'd really want to punch him but you know you are not allowed to.

Steven doesn't care if you hurt him... But if you hurt Connie, you'll earn his hate.

That's why he's hostile toward Kevin.

>Steven Universe is garbage.
FTFY

Steven only forgives cute girls.
That's why he hates Kevin, gutted Bismuth, shot the rubies into space, and let Jasper contract and die of AIDs.
He considers Lars a cute girl.

It's obviously the same guy because you just say the same thing over and over. Like it's fucking weird dude. For all I know you're the same guy who wouldn't shut up about Greg being in a tux.

Actually yeah.

Someone is trying to kill me, sure, fine, I was trying to kill him too, it's just fair.

Someone's an asshole to me for no reason and it's like. What the fuck. Fuck you. Fucking cunt.

What? I mean...what the fuck are you even on about??