Was this character meant to be unlikable?

Other urls found in this thread:

mikedimartinostory.com/2013/06/18/man-of-steel-why-the-story-of-superman-still-matters/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I think what they wanted was for her to be the free spirit mirror of what Lin could have been, that if Lin would just let go and not let the past keep her stuck she would have had a happy life with a loving family
but man did it come off as bitch got away with murder and the universe just shits on awesome granny judge

Just passing through, always wondered about this show. Is it worth watching on its own? Or will it just ruin Avatar for me?

No and yes

Yes and no

No, it's not worth watching. No, it won't ruin Avatar. It's not bad, it's just... Far worse than it should have been.

Thanks for the warning

You got outvoted, sorry

Just finished Season 4 this week. It won't ruin Avatar for you but it's mostly a train wreck. It does irrevocably add a lot of stupid baggage to the setting and a few TLAB get dragged through the mud in their old age.

The setting is great. S tier. Really cool. The characters are basically retarded and there's not a lot of satisfaction in the narrative. Tons of plot holes and lots of unexplained motivations or random leaps of logic. Needless exposition for many things while simultaneously not telling you enough about things you want to know. That sort of thing. The most common complaint is "wasted potential" and it rings true.

It just makes me nostalgic for TLAB and a rewatch of that. If I had to be as nice as possible I'd say Korra has cool looking fights(but not necessarily good ones, the heroes job so often you literally stop caring), a fantastic setting, great supporting characters(you'll like a few B or C tier cast a lot more than most of the protags) and a few cool(if unexplained) villains. There's also a few fun episodes like the Avatar origin story but they still have all the same dumb problems.

Best advice is to watch Season 1. If at any point from Season 2 on you think "this sucks", just drop it, you're not missing out. I was watching it out of morbid curiosity after Season 2. "I wonder how bad they fuck up this time." People might tell you S3 and S4 pick up. They don't. The villains are just slightly cooler than S2's absolute let down. They still have none or piss poor motivations.

>the setting is s-tier
>when it completely ruins spirits and everything established from ATLA

I dunno dude, there were just a lot of cool ideas that appeal to me. 1920s steam punk big citting setting with an undercurrent of populist uprising against benders was a fantastic story idea. Wish they did something better with it.

The set up for S4 felt pretty good at the start too. The Earth Kingdom is split apart into feudal kingdoms and a large part of the population is discontent enough to form bandit armies? Neat. But we all know how S4 ended up.

I dunno, depends. I've seen a lot of anons gaining a dislike for the show and echoing the common complaints about it, while some others go like "what's the big deal, I enjoyed it, why did you all tell me this was supposed to be shit".

I feel conflicted about Korra. The show has some good points while also some pretty noticeable flaws. In the end I think it's worth watching even if you do end up disliking it; at least the show offers some discussion material.

Even if there may be issues with the plot and the characterizations, I don't think there was anything wrong with the setting. Early promotional material and the pilot episode made the show appear very promising. It's like the other user said; the show had plenty of neat ideas and concepts that were utilized in a very poor and disappointing fashion.

I was more pissed about the fact that Toph nonchalantly didn't care about cuckolding multiple men.

>S tier

What does that mean?

Vidya thing, like from Devil May Cry. It's above A tier.

>implying Top didn't have huge, wild orgies

>Sokka moves to Republic City to serve as representative of the Southern Water Tribe, after years of helping getting it up and running after the war.
>After getting on the nerve of some metalbending recruits, they pair him up on a blind date with their instructor as a prank, seeing how no man can stand her company for an extended period of time.
>Toph, now a Christmas Cake, is surprised to be drinking next to her childhood crush, when expecting just another suitor trying to charm her.
>After a couple of hours catching up, Sokka relating his apprenticeship to his father and renewing connections between Water Tribers, and her recounting how her metalbending school evolved into the Republic City police force, Toph insists on taking him bar-hopping through the best speakeasies of the boroughs of the city.
>As the night goes on, and they get tipsier and tipsier, Toph admits that isn't taken seriously by her peers, ironically, because of her appearance.
>While she was once underestimated for her small size and stature, she's now taunted by coworkers calling for her to settle down to a desk job, if not retire to
>Even other women have called her a hippo cow in whispers.
>Her parents used to send suitors in her directions for a few years, but after she got to a certain age, it slowed down to a trickle.
>She still gets a few dates from men who only hear of her fortune, that don't last half a night due to her boorish behavior.
>Despite all that, she doesn't mind her body type, although she wishes she didn't have to wrap herself so tightly to prevent jiggling in every direction while on the job.
>The dates at least give her a chance to wear nothing at all under her robes and gets her meals she doesn't have to pay for, even though she's able to buy any restaurant if she wanted to.
>Noting herself talking stream of conscious, she asks Sokka what's on his mind, and if he's been seeing anyone lately...

I hated the bitch

You're both right, and it's a wasted potential thing again. Korra had a lot of interesting notions for its setting, but instead of handling the new stuff by integrating it with existing lore, they supplanted whatever was there before. It would have been a lot cooler if the show had kept the mystical tone of ATLA in conjunction with the advancing technology.

>vidya thing
christ, no. At best you could say it's a japanese thing.

It's an addition to the grading scale, F-A being normal scores and S indicating that the participant is special or superior and outside the normal grading scale.

To be fair, the place your average non-japanese person is most likely to see it happening is in japanese video games.

Give me one reason why this is not the most dysfunctional family in the Avatrverse (excluding the Fire Nation Royals)

On some level, yes. It's what makes her human, though.

She isn't viewed as someone who acted right, just as someone who acted.

>just as someone who acted.
She never acted, though. That was kind of the source of Kuvira's whole feud with her

Honestly there's a chance Opal's kids will turn out normal, and the family before Toph came along was probably fine too. I'm just surprised and angry that people were mad that Toph was a shitty parent.

>I'm just surprised and angry that people were mad that Toph was a shitty parent.
Just surprised, I don't know why I would be angry at people for that.

>story implies Toph is fat

DELETE THIS

>protecting your people from outsiders is not acting
Kuvira was butt mad because she didn't donate her prosperity to Earth Peasants when they got fucked up.

There was no reason for the Metal Clan to help the others, if they helped the others they would have been dragged down to that squalor.

The Air Nomads.

Let's be pacifists and not do anything while the Fire Nation is being faggots.

OH NO WE'RE MURDERED.

And the only reason we weren't doomed to be either one slowly dying bloodline or inbreds is because some Water Tribe Girl made the right(????) decision when everyone was telling her to make the wrong (decision).

Since Air Nomads don't have families basically because monks I'm assuming they count as one big family.

I still haven't forgiven her being a crap mum to Kuvira.

>Not wanting sake-laden Christmas Cake Toph

>Let's be pacifists and not do anything while the Fire Nation is being faggots.

They actually didn't take it as far as Aang. Gyatso killed a shitload of firebenders. Aang is just a pussy.

How bad is season 2? like the walking dead season 2? it cant be THAT bad. i fucking hate that show man such a lovely first season.

Even his ancestor Air Avatar was like 'yeah kill him', but Aang was like 'aw jeez rick, better not'.

Probably not, but I don't think she was unlikable in Book 3. Mostly just butthurt Lin self inserts that got mad in her behalf.

That said, in Book 4 she went full fucking retard and became arguably the least likable character in the series. What the FUCK were you thinking, Bryke?

Did that comic ever come out about Kora and her girlfriend's vacation honeymoon in the spirit world?

It's not ALL bad, but the plot is really bad and full of plotholes, the villain is fucking terrible, and the animation took a nosedive especially in the first half because they outsourced to Studio fucking Pierrot.
Not to mention they literally had Jinora appear out of nowhere and steal Korra's thunder and the culmination of her character arc in the finale just because they wanted her to have something to do.

It does have some good things. Introduced Varric, had a pretty spectacular Boss Fight and Korra let her hair down.

This. Lin was the one acting like a brat in book 3, not Su.

Are you kidding? In book 3 her backstory is that her teenage rebellion got her involved with organized crime, permanently scarred her sister's face, and forced her mother to resign from the job she loved, and then in the present she not only refuses to apologize for anything, she doesn't even believe any of it was wrong.

Season 2 of LoK is just bad. There might be some fun characters and ideas, but they all turn out poorly.

Hi Lin. Try losing some of the sand in your vagina, this is why tenzin left you and you're 60 and miserable.

Meanwhile, Lin could have handled the matter 'in house', and she wouldn't have gotten her face scarred OR have gotten her mother canned.

>In book 3 her backstory is that her teenage rebellion got her involved with organized crime, permanently scarred her sister's face, and forced her mother to resign from the job she loved, and then in the present she not only refuses to apologize for anything, she doesn't even believe any of it was wrong.
She and Toph worked out their problems with each other years ago, Lin was the one who refused to talk to either of them about it even when they invited her to have a discussion about it. Su was apologetic for how she acted and for hurting Lin, but it was also over thirty years ago. Lin can't expect Su to not move on and live her life, especially when she intentionally avoids opportunities to at least let Su and Toph know how much they hurt her.

And if anyone it's Toph's fault, she's the one who let Su run wild.

>Lin in Book 3.png

Season two is hilariously bad.

Everything in season two is the result of character retardation.

It absolutely trashes most of TLABs mythos.

Resolved by Deus ex Machina.

And the best part is that the villain literally has no motivation. Ten thousand years of darkness? Sounds cool, fuck my family, fuck my children. Muh spirits.

It's basically the book where Korra goes through the spiritual growth people wanted her to have in book 1, although the execution is kind of confusing (you basically have to take a "it's magic and strength of heart don't question it" because you don't get any real solid answers about what happens), so if you want to see that I'd just recommend watching the episodes about her.

I was under the assumption that he was corrupted by Darkness long before he went full retard.

>tfw you suddenly realize your daddy is an edgelord

It's either coming out this winter or in early 2017.

That would be understandable, but there isn't an indication of that since we know hes' been a dick with Avatar Envy before Korra was even born.

Not yet, but Drama and Korrasami will the focus, so look forward to that shit.

But why.

Do we just assume he was a spiritual guy who found the portal or crossed over one day and saw a big tree and the primordial darkness says HEY KID, WANNA END THE WORLD?

Remember, S3 makes it clear that he knew the origin story. But this is just a recurring problem with Korra where even good villains are wasted potential. I liked Zahir and gang a lot, really could've used a flashback episode.

If by "handle it in-house" you mean try to talk sense into Suyin before her genuinely criminal activity got her in trouble, then she already tried that. If you mean "Ignore a crime in progress during her patrol because one of the criminals is her sister," that's not actually handling the problem, it's illegal. Making the charges go away by circumventing the law is what got Toph forced out in the first place; it wasn't "your daughter is a criminal so you have to leave", it was "you broke the law you were supposed to uphold when you chose your daughter over your duty," and anything Lin could have done would have been committing the same crime. Suyin is the one who put them in that position in the first place. By being, and I cannot stress this enough, a literal criminal.

The 1920s aesthetic is one of the few things I liked about the show but it's woefully underused. Korra had no buisness having big philosophical villains. If only because it couldn't write villains for shit. It would have been a much better show if it was just about the culture and characters of Republic City.

In hindsight, as much as pro-bending was a massive waste of time, I think the show would have been better off it that was it's main and only focus. If it was just an avatar sports anime about Korra and company learning to work together without any of the romance bullshit attached to it, it might have been alright. But that's just wishful thinking.

>In hindsight, as much as pro-bending was a massive waste of time, I think the show would have been better off it that was it's main and only focus.
Probending was fun, I wouldn't mind if they just came back with a slice of life series about life in Republic City and probending.

I thought it was funny how forgiving she was towards Bataar Jr while she couldn't wait to put Kuvira in jail and throw away the key

>Suyin is the one who put them in that position in the first place.
Maybe Toph should have been an actual parent and kept her damn kid in line.

Wish they had a full episode order, so they could have the first part of the season be Korra traveling to Republic City posing as a pro-bender helping Mako and Bolin get to the finals they qualify for, allowing the show to enforce the scale of the Equalist movement and examine how the world has changed during the gap between eras. Asami is instructed by her father to keep an eye on them after sponsoring the team, gives time for character interaction that isn't just romance bait.

Season 2 is one of the worst works of fictions to come out in the last decade. It's so bad for so may reasons that just talking about it is exhausting. It fucked up the eastern surreal aesthetic of the spirit world and just made it a spawn point for generic looking monsters. It turned the avatar state into a joke. It killed all the past avatars. Fucking hell, I don't know how anyone could have written down the words "Dark Avatar" and not immediately killed themselves.

>It killed all the past avatars
they were already dead

She had to be a self-insert of some kind. It's the only explanation.

>Be a shitty kid
>Dad tells you not to be so shitty
>Says "Fuck you, dad!" and runs away to be a "free spirit".
>Becomes extremely successful and feels like this vindicated their shitty behavior
>Dad still doesn't apologize for being "wrong"
>I'm gonna make a cartoon where I have superpowers and beat you up

Now their souls/memories are too.

Every character who opposes her is presented as being in the wrong and eventually apologizes for it.

>Sis fucks up your face forever because you're trying to stop her from breaking the law
>Never apologizes
>Never even shows remorse
>You have to apologize to HER for being mad about it
Fuck off Su.

Dark Avatar was not inherently a bad idea. Imagine if Vaatu wasn't a kite of doom, who just wanted to destroy the world - he merely had other ideas of how the world should work. So first he could bestow Amon with his bending removing powers and then, when it didn't work out, he could visit different antagonists and made them Avatars.

t. user mad his parents totally loved his now successful sibling more.

The episode order was never and has never been an excuse. If they knew they only had 12 episodes to tell a story then they should have made better use of that time. Season 1 of Korra spends way too much time on shit that ultimately doesn't matter and that doesn't work in a small self contained season. If you want to explore the sports culture of the city and develop pro bending as a fictional sport, then do that and do it to its fullest. If you want to explore the rising tensions between benders and nonbenders, then do that to its fullest. If they wanted to tell a bigger story then they should have just said fuck the episode cap and left it on a cliff hanger like they were going to do with the original Avatar. But either way, that love triangle subplot just shouldn't have been there period.

>Try to apologize for 30 years
>Patch things up with mom during that time
>Always gets blown off

>WOOOOW WHY DIDN'T YOU EVER APOLOGIZE

But Toph didn't show affection towards either daughter.

Butthurt victim complex siblings never admit that the treatment was equal.

She does apologize. And Lin only had to apologize because she rejected offers to talk to Su and Toph about what happened, angrily stewed over it for thirty years, and then had the gall to act like a total bitch at Su's place and lash out at a family member who had nothing to do with their conflict.

Grudges are like a truck of dead fish.
Hold one long enough, and you're the one who starts to stink.

People aren't obligated to forgive you.

Patching things up with Toph is meaningless since Lin is the one person who got screwed over in the whole incident.

And? They were only useful to Korra. People are acting like she desecrated Aang's grave or something.

>B-but we'll never see those characters again!!
If Bryke want to write prequels about Kyoshi and Roku and whoever else, they will.

She only apologizes after Lin does. The rest of the episode she isn't remotely apologetic, instead acting like:

>Lol who cares? I got over me scarring your face, why can't you?

The love triangle in Book 1 was fine, up to a point (episode 7).

In Episode 7, Korra finally saw Asami for who she was and asked Mako directly to stay with her. It showed growth, it showed maturity, and it was well done.

But no, Bryke just decided to throw that out the window in the finale like it was a crazy bloodbender, and ruined everything.

>People aren't obligated to forgive you.
No but if you're going to choose to reject the olive branch you should make sure you have the maturity needed to do it.

>Patching things up with Toph is meaningless since Lin is the one person who got screwed over in the whole incident.
Toph was a crappy parent to Su, too, just in a different way.

>People falling for the same pathetic loser that makes these threads every day

>People aren't obligated to forgive you.
People aren't obligated to keep asking for your forgiveness, then.

>since Lin is the one person who got screwed over in the whole incident
Hahahaha.

>All the BoJacks in this thread who think Lin is required to forgive her

>>since Lin is the one person who got screwed over in the whole incident
>Hahahaha.
How were Toph or Suyin remotely negatively affected by it?

OH NO I HAVE TO LIVE WITH MY RICH GRANDPARENTS INSTEAD OF IN JAIL

OH NO I HAVE AN EXCUSE TO RETIRE LIKE I HAD PLANNED

If I was Lin, I wouldn't forgive Suyin at all. She's a cunt who never changed - she's just as selfish and irresponsible as she was all those years ago. The only difference is, now she's rich.

>People aren't obligated to keep asking for your forgiveness, then.
If you do something shitty to someone, you apologize. If you don't, you're an asshole.

>I'm just surprised and angry that people were mad that Toph was a shitty parent

Yes, because in real life everyone is the same as their 11 year old self and have experienced no growth whatsoever.

You're a Goddamn embarrassment and just as bad as Bryke

She didn't live with her rich grandparents, though, not for long. Apparently she continued living a life of crime, even been a pirate of some point of life. You know, a bandit on a boat?

Nobody has said Lin was required to forgive her, it's more like people had a problem with her attitude, especially since she was given opportunities to at least let Su and Toph know how she felt but she never took them because she's so stubborn and bitter. Yeah, Su and Toph fucked up, but it was ultimately Lin's fault that she ended up spending so much of her adult life alone.

IIRC, Bojack just one day showed up at Herb's and expected them to make up. Su offered the opportunity to Lin, she rejected it, Su let it drop and went on with her life.

AtLA and LoK have mommy/daddy issues all over the place, it was very noticeable even before Su appeared. There's also this old quote by DiMartino discussing Jonathan Kent and Superman.

>The father represents any parent, or institution, or religion, or government that wants to prevent you (or me) from coming into our own and expressing who we truly are. This covers the gamut, from corporations not wanting employees to think outside the box, to a society that still isn’t entirely okay with gay marriage. They (the father figure) thinks they know best. They say they have your best interests at heart and they will protect you. But they are just fearful of what will happen when people are living their best lives. I think this part of the film got under my skin because I absolutely hate when someone assumes they know what is best for me.
mikedimartinostory.com/2013/06/18/man-of-steel-why-the-story-of-superman-still-matters/

I can't help but assume that Bryke had to fight their parents in order to seek the career they wanted. Since they did manage to become successful content-creators, I suppose all's well in the end.

>Oh no I got a cool scar that was halfway my fault anyway and I get to be chief of police

Most of Lin's misfortune is self-caused.

If you get repeated offers of reconciliation over a 30 year period and ignore them all, you don't get to complain you were never apologized to.

No, I mean tell Toph that Su was up to no good WITHOUT INVOLVING THE AUTHORITIES AT ALL.

Toph wouldn't have lost her job.

Su would have been spanked with a metal switch or something.

SOmeone would have drawn porn of it.

It would have been awesome.

Her patching things up with Toph never rang true to me, frankly. It;s just more of , and seems more like bad writing on the out-of-universe level. Like, you can can argue until the end of time about conclusions based on the facts of of the scenario, but ultimately it's fiction, and those facts were invented by a fallible writer. at a certain point, even if something is ostensibly true in the story, if it doesn't feel genuine, it will strain the suspension of disbelief and colour the viewer's interpretation.

Toph was a criminal herself, big deal.

>how dare this person's upbringing still impact their adulthood and how they raise their kids, this NEVER happens in real life!!!

>Her patching things up with Toph never rang true to me
How the hell so?

>and colour the viewer's interpretation.
Your interpretation seems extremely colored to begin with.

You don't have a good grasp on her upbringing

user, are you fucking high? Cheating at games of chance and robbing (possibly killing) people at high seas are not on the same level.

I have a good enough one that I'm not surprised that she turned out to be a less than stellar parent. It doesn't mean she didn't love Su and Lin and didn't do what she thought what was best for them, she just messed up.

Do we have any actually good parents at Avatar? Between Toph, Aang, Ozai, Tonraq, Unalaq and others it seems like all parental figures are various shades of shit. Do Bryke have daddy issues?

>cool scar

A facial scar on a woman, bro. And wounds hurt. Scars ain't just make up.

Kya said Aang was a good parent, he just wasn't great. Katara was likely good. Sokka and Suki if they had kids. Senna and Tonraq (one argument with your daughter doesn't make you a bad parent), Hiroshi was probably fine until he went crazy.

Based on the backstory we are shown for Toph and Suyin, I did not strike me as believable that Toph would be looking for an excuse to retire from the position she created, or that if she had been, being forced out after breaking the law she helped develop and enforce would be an acceptable one, and nor did it seem believable that Suyin would ever gain the perspective to recognise the need for reconciliation in the first place. At most, It was believable that Suyin believed her relationship with Toph to be patched but, but not that it was actually as fixed as she seemed to think.

Having one argument with your daughter doesn't, locking her up for her entire life does.

To be honest though, most of the old team avatar children seem to have dome well for themselves even if their childhood wasn't perfect, but who honestly had one?

Which makes her even LESS affected by the incident.

>Halfway my fault anyway
How? Lin did literally nothing wrong.

Tenzin and Pema had great children, even if one of them used fartbending

I can't believe you're against that user. You should have a nice personality.

What did he mean by this? No, seriously, I can't understand what this user is trying to say.

Whit that understanding of the characters, I bet you write like Bryke.

Now is Lin's fault, woah.
Prankster baby identifies with rogue bitch.

Fit battle hardened Toph > All other variants

He's basically saying Lin's a crybaby and everyone who thinks the opposite and everyone who thinks Su Jin wasn't right is a Lin self insert crybaby too.

Sorry, that character was very unlikable, she wasn't a free spirit, she was in a gang causing troubles being a police daughter and when her sister who was trying to do the right thing goes for her to tell her she's doing wrong, she marks her face permanently and makes her mother quit. No, that's not just "things that happen" or "things that you should let go". It's being a shitty person. Then she get rewarded.

Bryke have something with the rebel kid and the annoying figure of authority. Parents tends to be shit in all that series.

Parents have always the fault in Bryke's mind

It's surprising how people is actually going to the hide it and give her a different treatment because you have the power and is your daugther, not someone else's

>People are acting like she desecrated Aang's grave or something.
Because this was the whole point of the avatar lore, the cycle. There was a big arc about Aang not having a connection with past avatars being a problem because that's wat the avatar was, not a dude who stole some powers and fuse with some random spirit. What do you think Avatar refers to? It was the Avatar of the balance, some cosmic level shit, but then they scrapped that. They didn't understand at all the whole eastern concept of yin yang and balance and introduced the good and bad spirit overwriting the original and better concept. That's why.

It has some pretty genuinely good parts, most of the third book for example. A lot of the good parts are greatly overshadowed by Korra being a stupid teenager and some middling amounts of fanservice and self-references.

The problem here is, the opinion is about Su. Was Lin shitty at some point too? I guess but that doesn't make Su less of a shit person.

I liked her okay. Not the best, not the irredeemable monster Cred Forums wants her to be.

Respect your opinion, but she's very unlikable for many reasons. Heck, her adopted daughter caused a war and when they capture her, the only think she say to her is something like, "You are going to jail bitch"

People defending Su and siding with her...
Fuck this cursed place......

There were characters in LoK who were meant to be likeable?

Are they canon Cred Forums?

Nigga if you didn't like Verick just get out, just stop watching things, just leave every entertainment media on the planet behind, just leave nigga, you cannot appreciate anything. Motherfucking move to the woods and ascend to enlightened hobo mode, our moving pictures are beyond your simultaneously inhuman wisdom and lack of taste.

Varrick was shit after season 2. He's a joke character that overstayed his welcome and had no real use in the s2 plot anyway

No you dumbass. It just severed the connection so Korra couldn't communicate with them anymore. It didn't fucking obliterate the souls or anythiing.

>Not a single episode about the adult Gaang

I'm mad

He had actual character growth in S4 and was one of the biggest movers of the plot therein. As far as Korra characters go he was a cut above. A low bar, sure, but he still cleared it.

>No episode about Aang and Toph's children fucking around in their teenage years

I'm still mad.

No they literally show Unalaq obliterating the souls attached to Raava. They're gone.

>No episode taking place in the Fire Nation or anything about Izumi's mom

I'm boiling here.

>mad because LoK didn't get the chance to ruin the Fire Nation
Why?

They could at least made a couple of scenes in S3 searching for new air benders on the fire nation

>I have a good enough one
No, you really don't.
>Being stupid enough to defend the poor writing of Korra

Bryke cannot write for shit, this is why they weren't allowed to write for ATLA originally, the only reason they were given control for Korra was to save money.

>Didn't name her Honora

I have to admit ALL of Korra felt like a 13 year old that was trying to be more mature was writing it.

There was only ever ONE soul combined with Raava.

The rest were memories that you don't get to keep when you die, those memories were deleted, they are gone forever.

Why is Zuko dead inside in that pic?

>Tenzin hoverhanding Lin
That's a very good pic

>two emos building a family
>happy inside

Pick one

Suddenly gaining a conscience for no reason isn't proper character growth.

Zuko isn't emo, just whiny and grumpy