Is it worth pursuing a university STEM-degree?

Is it worth pursuing a university STEM-degree?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophy,_Politics_and_Economics
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reactionary_modernism
patents.google.com/patent/US5361258A
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Are you female or brilliant academically? If not, consider a trade.

Yes, but unless you're a woman or minority, stay away from computer related anything.

Depends on what you want to do for a living. 16 years into my career and, while I'm not miserable, I wish I would have gone into the skilled trades. Electrician specifically.

>math

Depends entirely on the field or specialty.

Something like a general biology bachelors is pretty much useless unless you're getting a masters or going pre-med.

On the other hand, a niche field like GIS is pretty much a guaranteed upper middle class income as long as you don't whip your dick out at the job interview.

Define brilliant academically. The average engineer is far from brilliant.

>getting into anything other than the medical field

Enjoy sitting in front of a computer all day, cuck

Not if you're stupid, lol.

Engineering yes.
Biology only if you're a woman wanting to go to med school.
Chemistry no.
Physics/Math only if you plan on teaching or pursuing a PhD.
Computer Science only if you're a woman.
Never major in tech- minor in it.

>making the same as a plumber and wasting 10 years of your life in school
Go for something you love user and read the facts
Chem engies might make the most but they live the shortest

Are you literally 4? The medical field ridiculously high paying

Worked pretty well for me

learn how to farm and raise animals. science is a cute method, but its conclusions will fall short of accurately describing reality (or even getting close) for the next 10000 years.

And math is just a game. It just starts with arbitrary axioms and derives arbitrary theorems; there's no "higher truth" to it. (I was quite disappointed once I realized this...ended up quitting my PhD program. Much happier now that I'm not shitting out a bunch of arbitrary "facts" which can be "applied" to the "real world.")

tl;dr math and science are false. learn to fish & hunt UNLESS you just want money, but the whole thing is burning to the ground as we speak: having money in the bank will mean as much as having dust on your shelves in the coming years.

>math and science are false
*false idols or false gods...whatever...pipe dreams?

Yes. If you go to a halfway decent university it's well worth it, suggest comp sci, electrical engineering, or mechanical engineering.

>he never studied complex analysis

I study architecture, am I fucked?

If you can pull 65k+ USD equivalent after graduating with a cap over 200k, I'd do it.

You can figure this out for yourself:

>The ultimate goal of college/university (for most people) is to get a job. By law, most colleges and universities have to post statistics on their job placement rates per department or per diploma/degree. This information must be publicly available, and is usually found online. Analyze this information and determine which diplomas/degrees have the highest job placement rates. You might need to phone the institution's registrar's office to obtain this information (they'll mail it to you). You might be shocked to find that some degrees have a post-graduation job placement rate of 20% or less.

>Take a look at the average entry-level salary for jobs after graduating from each degree. Is this enough to pay back your student loans in a practical amount of time?

>If you are going to school locally, or otherwise want to stay and work in your local area, analyze the local job market - what's in demand? Is there an industry that your local area is known for?

>Take a look at the tuition and fees of each degree and each institution. Do a cost-benefit analysis: is it worth X amount of money to take degree Y which has a job placement rate of Z%? How do all of the degrees compare? (HINT: Most degrees, especially non-technical degrees, aren't worth it)

>If possible, choose degrees that include internships/co-ops. While it would be nice if you were compensated financially for your work, consider the experience as the main form of payment. Degrees that include internships typically have much higher job placement rates post-graduation.

>Do not trust the advice of people like parents, family members, even high-school guidance counselors etc... they're almost certainly morons who have no idea what they're talking about... trust the data

If you can't solve a problem like this, don't feel bad; you probably weren't going to do well enough at school to get a job anyway.

>tfw 3rd year Civil Eng. student
Feels good man

>Want to be a doctor
>Incredibly bad at math

What do you think, boys? Is my dream over before it began?

Not at all.

it all follows from arbitrary axioms.

This

If you will get a good grade and you find the course content vaguely interesting

Don't expect a job to fall into your lap though, most stem fields including engineering are getting increasingly saturated

Nope lol I'm in med school and the only math I've had to do post high school is first year calculus. It's all about high marks and extracurriculars

>calculus

Flipping burgers it is.

Did you even read that? I'm in medical school friend

go biomedical engineering.

My friend earns 40k a month and I will be soon.

If you're asking this question here, it means you shouldn't get into it.

Stem fields are already very full, and more and more retards are crowding the space by falling for the "happy, successful life" meme. It's ruined for those few who are genuinely interested in the pursuit of science, or building new disruptive technologies. I've become increasingly cynical about this over the last 6 years of my engineering grad school career. I now actively discourage people from getting into this field if they even come across as a little hesitant.

Medicine its the best.
Computer science is for trannies and betacuck SJW males.
Programmers study hard to become office workers.
Engineers have to deal with shitskin blue collar employees.
Math and physics are a lot of studying for little reward.

>the complex numbers
>arbitrary

choose only one

STEM is for nerds with autism...mostly Asian and Jewish.

I love it.
If you have half a brain you're supposed to be interested in science and it should be a natural choice

STEM is a meme
But is much less of a meme than other degrees

I'd rate it a solid 7 on the meme scale

I read PPE and spent most of my time at university playing rugby and going on holiday.

I suppose STEM is attractive if your parents are poor or you enjoy science, but that's about it. Doctors and engineers are horrible people to be around, they're often the first entrants from their family into the professional classes and will blow most of their meagre salaries on ridiculous things. Even if they're second or third generation they're the very definition of middle class, too aspirational and very tacky.

>Engineers have to deal with shitskin blue collar employees.

>straight outta uni
>design engineer
>get to treat stupid technologists twice older than me like shit they are

>PPE
Personal Protective Equipment?

Yes you fucking idoit.

t. Architectural Engineer

Engineers are fucking retards,half of the time the plans I get don't work in the real world.

t. tradesman

Having a background as an electrician been thinking of going back to school for electrical engineering. Not the greatest at math but when I try I do pretty good. Also im 22 is it too late for me?

>>tfw 3rd year Civil Eng. student
>Feels good man
Great choice. I went for Civil and ended up doing building envelope. Going to take the Architectural Engineering PE next spring to get licensed. Just being able to do Algebra around a construction site makes you a God. Once licensed, things you seal are gospel.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophy,_Politics_and_Economics

It tends to get the science nerds very angry indeed as it was mostly studied by people with private incomes, who didn't aspire toward £100k a year as they own half of Gloucester.

How is it going bro? What's the highest maths you've done?

Computer Engineer here. I'm fucking scared that I won't get a job. I don't know the situation country-wide but there are shit job prospects for a Comp Engineer. Luckily I quadruple as a Computer Scientist, Electrical Engineer, and IT-fag.

The director of the company I did my placement with started off there as an electrician on some shit-tier salary and worked his way up to the absolute pinnacle of the massive company through an electrical engineering degree, and MBA and some other things.

Basically, do it faggot

That's because they're from the middle classes. They're too busy getting excited about the upcoming holiday in Vegas and watching Netflix on their credit bought 80 inch televisions when they get home.

Hopefully I'll get into a masters program for structural engineering, but that remains to be seen.

I have finished all classes required for a math minor, so Calc 1-3, discrete math, linear algebra, diff. eq., and statistics.

I'm a 1L at a tier 1 Law school.

Everybody makes mistakes once in a while, but it's always technologist's fault, kek.

Well some of them are ok.
On entire factory there are two actually technologists that actually know what they are working on, the rest of them are like "Uuuhh that's a titanium ring, HURR I DONT NEED TO KNOW WHAT IT'S FOR, it's your job to know what this part is for"

ah okay
also
>tfw upper middle class son of a self made Doctor
>all the pressure to succeed but no substantial help
I'm kinda jelly

that depends on what you want to do of course
If you want to do development in a technical field, it is not only improvement but more of an requirement, so yes.
If you like doing calculations / liked physics and want a stable paycheck, it's also a good choice.

things are less clear if you just don't know anything to do and read about STEM hype in the magazines. It may just not be your thing.

4th year civil here. Had to repeat 2nd year cause my mental health decided to play up annoyingly but all good now.

My advice: Try and grab yourself a placement. It's very rewarding to earn money doing what you learned in your design classes than flipping burgers all summer. This new semester I have came off strong as a motherfucker because of it.

Senior in Chemical Engineering here, Resume critique today then the search to be a salarycuck will commence.

Are doctors paid less in Germany than the US?

So the most successful people in today's world?

>tfw 24 years old and won't graduate until i'm 27
>BS in Environmental Science with Minor in Geography and past experience in Industrial Hygiene/OHS work

I'm fucked, oh well. Beats not getting a degree

well at least your joints will not be destroyed now

Am I a cuck for getting a business degree?

yes substantially less
my father makes about 300k because work addiction and working his butt off. Most earn something in the 60 - 150k range

What are you doing currently?

Alright almost got my electrical license hours done then I'll go off to school in january thanks

Engineering if you can do it. The rest, meh.

also taxes are a lot higher in Germany

No
you need good grades not math

Doctors are paid far too much everywhere.

People rant on about bankers making too much money but the medical profession is full of greasy pole climbers, bullshitters and greed.

You could have done applied math

that kinda sucks clit

Faggots like you are the reason I'll be moving to burgerland.

You could easily get some work as a Geo-env engineer. It'll be shit tier pay for a while but you should be able to work your way up the ladder.

Physics and Maths are the best fields because they lend best to people wanting to go into Business, general finance, management and IT which are the largest areas for graduate recruitment. Degrees related to business and economics/law are relatively good for this also as you don't need anything specific when being recruited.

The problem with Cred Forums is that most people have never finished college, done well academically or have any career aspirations so they don't really understand the graduate market.

This is coming from someone very obviously not in the medical field.
Tramua surgeon here, 60% of my day is spent on surgery/minor repairs on existing patients.
The rest is all walking around and desk work/computer work(athough i usually have my residents do it for me).

Actuaries are one of the highest paid positions you can get, and a math and finance degree is more or less required to even comprehend the exam questions

All the unemployed physics/math graduates on /sci/ would beg to differ.

> Becoming anything other than a software developer

I sure love my 40 hour weeks, regular calls from headhunters and being paid more than a Doctor even though I spent less than half the amount of time at university they did.

Hell, you don't even need university for this job really, in hindsight I would've just shit posted, worked through tutorials and made some projects for 3 years rather than do Comp Sci.

people are upset about bankers because wealth is more concentrated there

just try getting something repaired or a car check done, it's the same thing but nobody really cares when the numbers are low

It's no different there, really. Here's the thing. If you went to university because you rely on the qualifications and learning to supplement your lifestyle then you aren't going to have a very good one.

I know that doesn't wash with a lot of people but that's how it is. STEM will not make you rich. It might make you be able to send your kids to some horrid private school with the spawn of Premier League footballers, or buy that personalised number plate you always wanted, but that's about it. You'll still be making a monthly salary.

STEM is fine if you consider making £60,000 - £90,000 a year in your forties and fifties an achievement.

>being aspirational is a bad thing

Okay Lord Jeffrey, it's time to fuck your baby cousin now.

It's interesting how chemengs are valued in the states. Here they earn the least of university-educated engineers. Not too much petrochem industry here though.

If I had to choose again I would probably go to chemical or nuclear engineering. Niche fields are great in that it's easy to succeed if you're not a total retard. Also, CS in machine learning and data science would time worth to spend. Stay away from vaguely defined programs like environmental engineering.

>ftw finance and stats major
How can le stem cucks even compete?

It's more worth it doing something that interests you, I spent like 2 years in the medical field before I realized I hated it, now I'm majoring in history and plan on teaching. Don't really care about the pay check its just what interests me.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reactionary_modernism

>thinking of switching to Finance from Mech Engineering

I want my godddamn Spanish Villa styled home god damn it!!

I also want to out jew the jews!

It is when you're aspiring to a level of wealth and living standard that can be achieved by running your own scaffolding company, or laying a lot of bricks.

A NHS GP makes what, £75k a year? There are illiterate scrap merchants making that, who have the same taste in cars and houses. And none of the saviour complex.

STEM is for chavs that can read.

Spend 12 years in med school and then decide whether or not it's a deserving salary

Funny. The reason you left math was the reason I liked math-- only did BA though

>STEM is fine if you consider making more money than 95% of the world's population in your forties and fifties an achievement.

Woman spotted.

>STEM is fine if you consider making £60,000 - £90,000 a year in your forties and fifties an achievement.

You're not very bright, are you? 90k a year, live off 20-30% of that, so 20 -25k roughly, invest 70k a year into mutual funds and flats. Release equity to get more flats. Retire and hire someone else to manage your flats.

What you need, Lord Jeffrey, is a good knockout. I am assuming the reason you turned out to be such a cunt, is that your father, just like you, has his nose so far up his ass crack that the smell and ingestion of the particles makes him delirious.

What have you achieved, other than popping out the correct vagina? Nothing. And anything you do achieve will be meaningless anyway.

I didn't have to spend 12 years in medical school because I'm not an Indian, nor am I from Cheshire.

It's a waste of time.

You're already locked in middle income because of your upbringing. Why bother training to be a doctor for the perceived lifestyle (don't lie, it's why they all pursue it) when you can achieve exactly the same doing manual labour?

I think you are talking nonsense.

Why is Mechanical Engineering the worst of the engineering disciplines?
You spend the entire fucking program dabbling in a little bit of electrical, civil, computer science, and finally towards the end mechanical design. I appreciate the variety, but it's not enough in one area to be worth anything.

Engineering is the only STEM degree worth going for.

Hell I haven't learned a damn thing in school and I'm a year away from graduating. I'm pretty much garunteed a job and they'll teach me everything I need to know. To get a math degree you actually have to understand the material and even then you'll only be a teacher unless you're in the top percentile and can get a job at places like NASA.

That salary is still in the top 10% of earners. I know you hang around with millionaires all day Cecil, but to most of us that is a lot of money.

And as for the guy laying a lot of bricks to earn that money, he's have to work 70 hours a week. That might be comparable to the hours a newish doctor has to work, but far more than the average engineer or software devloper.

Only if you're actually good at it. If not, then don't punish yourself and flunk out over a meme.

>It is when you're aspiring to a level of wealth and living standard that can be achieved by running your own scaffolding company, or laying a lot of bricks.

That's fine if you find that interesting to do. I wouldn't. You're also not taking into consideration of things like the work environment, health consequences, and a bunch of other crap.

P.s. the majority of people in the building trade do not make anywhere near that.

>Mech Engineering is the mostly sought after in California

Talk to my aerospace and Electrical buddies who get told by many employers that theyre looking for Mechanicals in specific.

You have a better chance of getting a job or internship

>so far up his ass crack that the smell and ingestion
>smell and ingestion
>ingestion

wrong end britfag

Medicine and engineering ave been taken over by Indians in all white countries
>feels good man

>You're not very bright, are you?
I am. I went to boarding school and everything.

>90k a year, live off 20-30% of that, so 20 -25k roughly
Rubbish. Top end salary means London, and London means a high living cost. Combine that with the inevitable school fees and divorce papers and you're looking at a lot more than that. Even if you do live outside the capital, you'll inevitably have a lot more outgoing than £25,000 a year.

>invest 70k a year into mutual funds and flats. Release equity to get more flats. Retire and hire someone else to manage your flats.
Which is a pittance. You'd be spending more on hiring the advisor than you would in profit.

>What you need, Lord Jeffrey, is a good knockout. I am assuming the reason you turned out to be such a cunt, is that your father, just like you, has his nose so far up his ass crack that the smell and ingestion of the particles makes him delirious.
Here comes the class warfare

>What have you achieved, other than popping out the correct vagina? Nothing.
Who cares?
No one, that's who. I'll stress again; STEM is for people with aspirations above their station. They arrive at the same place, the same level, that they would have anyway except they're saddled with debt and in a job that they probably had no interest in doing in the first place.

>And anything you do achieve will be meaningless anyway.
Because I didn't pursue a vocation paying bugger all that involved touching people's innards? Come off it.

That's how all engineering degrees are. I've had to take fluids, thermo and other bullshit and just now getting into CE stuff like geotech, structural and water resources in my senior year.

Don't go into computer science it's shit pay and long hours of overtime. And your job is taking by poopy in the loot.

>Here comes the class warfare

Damn right it does, you'll swing with the leftists.

>brown people taking over brainlet slave jobs
feels good... man

>CRONK NO LIKEY MATH
>MATHY MAKE CRONK THINK TO MUCHY
>OOGA OOGA IT'S NOT APPLIED

>GIS

This, OP. High demand, high pay (if the city is growing). If you're good with numbers look into it. My friend's dad charges up to $500 for 30 minutes to an hour of his time.

He probably graduated from one of our excellent state run medical courses.

The majority of people in STEM don't make that either, but they all go into it thinking they will.

>he's have to work
Are you actually illiterate?

>Don't go into computer science it's shit pay and long hours of overtime. And your job is taking by poopy in the loot.

Do you work in the industry? Outside of silicon valley software development is the comfiest job going. Unless we're deploying a build and shit goes wrong you're never there more than 40 hours a week.

Engineering.

Engineering.

Engineering.

they are beta as fuck idiots who went to shit schools then.

Almost I know about 9 grads from those fields and they are all employed in professional jobs after 2 years. 2 in big4, one in smaller consultant, two in software developing, 1 in law practice, 1 in civil service and 2 in IB.

Should I even bother going for a CAD certification? I feel like it would help me find a job but in the long run make me look decent on a resume.

I personally like AutoCAD and computer modeling. So i figure shy not spend 1500 for some courses

You can pursue STEM, but you'll probably drop out unless you're moderately autistic

>Are you actually illiterate?

It's pretty pointless to rage at someone for typos on a website where you can't edit your post. Take a look at your keyboard and look at what the D is next to.

>i want to murder people who disagree with the valuation of my own pathetic redbrick education

Nobody uses AutoCAD anymore. Learn Solidworks and you can find job anywhere.

Jealous?

>California
It's amazing how many companies I see popping up in Austin that were from CA. Being in SE Texas in general is a shit show looking for actual non-contract work. Maybe it would be worthwhile for me to go work in hell for a couple years.

OP Here

From what I've read in previous threads people say that mastering in engineering isn't really that useful and its mostly abstract (i call mostly bullshit on it)

But would I be right in assuming that getting masters in a field would increase your salary by quite a bit even though you don't work with that specifically?

I'm 27 and 2 years away from graduating with EE degree
There are so many jobs to choose from in the Midwest i'm feeling pretty /comfy/
Do it, there is literally no downside as long as you put in the work
Even the worst job pays at least as much as entry level trade job but with better hours, less physical pain, and more respect

kek I'm kinda sad Germany's class system was shattered by war and communism now. No one here is that amicably aloof

no brainlet

You could try reading them before you post, but I suppose that would eat into the time of whatever else it is you do.

It would be less full if we let India loo poo itself to death and stopped outsourcing.

Alright Mr Genius, what the hell do poor folk do with their lives in order to get out of the poor house?

What trade or career path does one grind through to not make minimum wage STEM cuck salary?

I dont want to work a 9-5 all my shitty life.

but upset? a bit

>From what I've read in previous threads people say that mastering in engineering isn't really that useful
It is for structural engineers.

It's usually overkill. It's mostly past the practical applications of your degree and can make employers wary of hiring you as they're going to have to pay you more for your qualification.

If you're dead-set on achieving higher management though it may be a feather in your cap at that stage of your career, it's just going to be a little tougher sledding early on finding an employer who wants to pay you more.

The person you are responding to is the reason why you're the super power now and we're a shit hole.

Im going to learn it on my spare time, if I can find a similar program for it I'll end up taking it.

What's your opinion on an MBA for project engineering?

>They arrive at the same place, the same level, that they would have anyway except they're saddled with debt and in a job that they probably had no interest in doing in the first place.

How much does your net worth have to be to think a 30k a year trade job is the same level as a 75k STEM job?

>Nobody uses AutoCAD anymore
heh

I use it right now in my research assistant position.

i immediately thought the same thing, don't feel bad lol

Engineering is the only one worth it.
Pure science is worthless unless you're going on to med school.

OK everybody great thread but what about my information security degree i'm on the verge of finishing???

Is a BS in Biology with a minor in Chemistry enough to split a small apartment and not starve to death?

Honest question.

In the united States 12 years is the norm

t. someone who's never seen the construction of the number systems
0 -> naturals -> integers -> rationals -> reals and the FUCKING COMPLEX NUMBERS

Electronic technician/engineer w/ two year tech degree. Not a four year educated engineer but my company/job/experience affords me quite a bit of crossover between the two.

A four year degree would have had me wanting to kill myself. Moreover, much of the actual job that is "electrical engineer" would bore me to no end. I would much rather work with my hands building shit.

>information security degree

What does that even mean? I guess it's some sort of cyber security shit? If so was there a large coding element to the course? If yes then it's probably useful.

If not it sounds like you got meme'd.

I feel like I have such a huge advantage over all you americans just because I have free university. We basically get 500$ per month and completly free tuition (however course books cost). Main argument I'm seeing from people in here not to go is because of the debt, but since I wont have debt I'm fine?

Yes.

Are you that pretentious dude who claims to have 200 iq because a magazine in the 90s told you so?

started to study cs. thought i'm gonna become some computer wizard, but instead i learn fucking math and algorithms i would just copy of the internet anyways and nothing useful and practical stuff

What if I'm a dumb shit, am I stuck flipping burgers for 20k a year.

Instead I get to atrophy at a desk in front of a computer.

Really, the amount of bodily abuse all depends on what trade you get into and what your job actually entails.

yes but it won't get you much further

>obligatory CS is not coding response

In all seriousness Computer science is a joke. In hindsight it would have been a better use of 3 years fucking around and working on personal projects than getting a Comp Sci degree.

white-collar here, I'm fine with my career but if I were to choose today I would definitely do the following:

step 1: look into the business register of your country
step 2: identify essential (regulated i.e. requiring certification) blue-collar services with dwindling numbers of businesses guaranteeing no competition and a possibility of cartel-like price hikes
step 3: educate and certify yourself in said field
step 4: open a small business in said field, make bank but save and invest with a long term strategy
step 5: enjoy early retirement before you fuck up your body OR sufficiently grow your business and have others fuck up their health doing it for you

For myself, it's essentially been a broad range of experiences from using field standard digital forensic investigation tools, becoming VERY familiar with Linux and its firewall/packet filtering options and infosec software (pentesting shit like metasploit, wireshark, Linux and Windows based server administration (LAMP, winserv 2012, active directory and light powershell). In addition I've been familiarized with industry standard measures for creating and implementing cybersecurity policies and a disaster recovery/business continuity plan. It also netted me a paid internship and I've had a personal project featured at a STEM expo.

Thing is, I'm still worried as fuck.

2nd year uni student here.
I was admitted as Physics major but I'm trying to change my major to either Pharm sci or Mech E or CSE. Any advice?

I majored in philosophy and minored in business. I'm literally gonna be the autismo STEM wrangler in a few years keeping them all in line to their computers while my paycheck is fatter than theirs.

are there any easy certs you can acquire on the side while studying to be an engineer? I have a lot of pre reqs ahead of me

electrical eng*

So much this. You would probably be better going to one of those coding bootcamps (which are also a meme btw) than getting a CS degree. At least in a bootcamp they teach you practical skills.

Seriously though, what do you get paid to do as a software developer? You get paid to make product. So how do you get hired as a developer? Prove that you can make things. So just learn to code and make things. Nothing magical or obscure here, just put in some work, make a few apps and you'll probably get hired.

Are you both dumb? When you fart, along with the other chemicals like nitrogen, you spew out particles of shit and they can go into someone's mouth. If your nose is near your ass crack, so is your mouth, is it not? So when you fsrt, you'll ingest particles of shit.

Your daddy should have sent you to a better school. Then again, you are probably too thick to make much use of it.

2nd year into CS program, kind of the same here. Giving up my social life/free time to use any time outside of studying towards coding and making my own projects.

The degree is just a formality, hard to find a job without one anywhere. You can thank those filthy Indians/Chinese for all the slave wage competition.

I'm fine with treading water, my hobbies are all pretty cheap.

Maybe I'll get lucky and land a job with stock options.

Anything on your CV at this point is better than nothing. Take it from me as I don't have a GED and I'm not sure how far a decade of employment can take me.

Yes, get out of Physics unless you want to teach.

I have known and worked with physics graduates.

The four I worked with all worked in sales (and wern't very good at it). It was a company that built industrial laser marking devices and, for some reason, HR had a real hard on for hiring physics majors. What the didn't understand about electronics(but needed to know, to effectively do their job) was staggering.

The two that I know personally both teach physics, one in high school, one in college.

Every person I know who works in engineering has the most god-awful boring job in the world. You either have to really like what you are doing or be a boring person (or as with stemfags it seems, be a combination of both).

What about computer engineering dealing with hardware? I feel like the extra electrical engineering part of it puts women away too much so I'd be fine

Stem is a jewish plot to keep intelligent whites out of influential positions.

Essentially our intelligence is wasted being lab rats, when we could be garnering billions and fighting jewish banker interests in the corporate and legal world.

What's the alternative? Break your back from working 20 years as a plumber or electrician?

Sitting at your comfy desk in a factory and sometimes going outside checking out stuff as an engineer sounds comfy as fuck tbqh

What the other burger said isn't really true btw, software dev jobs are plentiful. Women get preference but there's hardly any coming through.

But yeah, hardware side is probably better overall anyway.

>legal
Law is meme, don't do it
Unless you really like it and want to become a judge or prosecutor

>tfw fell for the STEM PhD meme

Don't do what I did anons. Engineering is the only thing that's worth it. Go into finance or something.

We need influential whites on the supreme court.

Look at what the jew did to Scalia? They literally killed him for going against their narrative.

We must erase this fucking parasite. Working in some lab making $14 an hour wont help our race.

There are other jobs in the world besides the stem field. It just depends on what your priorities are.

Nah, plumbing and electricall work, for the most part, arn't backbreaking at all. Particularly if you work residential jobs.

Desk jobs suck. Sure, they sound nice at first, but staring at the same walls day in and day out gets depressing as fuck after awhile.

so don't go to Law unless you are a legal genius that can weigh up his eccentric views with his abilities

Isn't job hopping a thing though? Also engineers have so many options, if you get bored you can easily find a different job in a different country or city

Maybe im just being naive though

Did medical physiology at first, dropped out because I hated it. Now I'm doing economics, hope I didn't fuck up, depends on whether I can get good internships.

Electrical engineering, meme degree or not?

Heard surgery is like a second marriage.

I'm in pharmacy school and it was a terrible decision. Job market is awful,

not.

and if you really really hate it you can transition to patent law/patent agent.

I'm doing Computer Science and Mathematics with an Econ minor. The job prospects look pretty good, I've been looking at getting into GIS with it

Let's just put it this way: best meme degree.

Women may get admitted to STEM easily because of affirmative action, but they still have to be decently intelligent to complete the work.

I dropped out of Computer Engineering last semester because I'm terrible at physics and it made me miserable.

If you're smart and enjoy doing it, I'd at least give it a try. Though I hear professional fishermen in nordic countries like yours can make six figures pretty easily

that's the right mindset
all you need is enough money to survive and maybe a soft female that warms your bed

>tfw graduated a year ago with a BS in EE
>tfw I decided after 3 years I didn't like it but it was too late not to just finish
>tfw doing manual labor now
>tfw I was pushed into doing STEM because I was good at math in high school
Take a year off to think about things, kids. There's no sense in making a decision when you're 18 with no real world experience that'll end up costing you 50k in debt.

Sound like you were bad at networking or had bad grades. How the hell do you get manual labor with a STEM-degree?

Is that an option before or after graduation? Why do you suggest it?

If you want to contribute to the human race evolution then the answer is yes

I don't think I want an engineering job. I like working outside and being physically active.

I've been down that road and it depends on a ton of different factors:

Willingness/ability to move
Willingness/ability to commute
to name a few

Plus, leaving a steady job comes with it's own concerns and risks. I chased a job opportunity one time only to be laid off after 10 months because of an economic downturn. Half of the company was let go.

>Take a year off to think about things, kids
desu I wish I'd done this. It's just not something that is pushed for in the US though.

I got pushed into premed cause that's what "smart" kids who liked science do. Or high schoolers are just kind of dumb and think that's what you do. I switched to molgen and was fooled into grad school with promises of running a lab and was never told about the glut of PhDs that universities are producing without the jobs to sustain them.

I seriously hate research science. It's awful.

m8 it took me several years to convince myself to go into stem, had I gone into college right out of high school I'd have gotten a humanities degree

Finished a BS in Geology this past June

FUCKING KILL ME REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I have a friend in geology. He doesn't speak highly of it either.

imo computer science is the easiest way to get a stem degree and be employable.

people on Cred Forums will call you an autist, but half of them are NEETs anyway so gives a fuck what they think.

I know someone who did that very thing. Out of high school he wanted to perform a patent attorney, for some reason. He is making BIG money now.

Getting the engineering degree first definitely helped but I don't know if it was required.

Also a buddy of mine with an aerospace degree works the same job.

But is it STEM-level pay? What type of manual labor are we talking about? Is it exclusive at all or what?

Mate, 2-3 years back when i was picking majors it seemed like a very good alternative to engineering:

>oil was >$100/barrel, and positions in the oilfield as MWD or mudlogger were possible to obtain as a BS-holder and work your way up somewhat to geosteering.

>the environmental field wasn't overly competitive from laid off oilfield workers

>commodities, well commodities have been shit for as long as I've been in the major, so economic geology didnt really interest me

Fuck me directly in the bunghole. Now, oil per barrel is scraping in the $40's, oil field BS and MSc holders that got laid off are vying for environmental positions in my city, and I have to look for work in other industries. Ill probably find something in supply chain and work my way up, IDK.

technically it's an option either time. It would probably be easier to get a job as a patent agent if you have a little actual EE experience.

The benefit of patent agency is you don't have to do more schooling technically, just pass the patent bar.

I'd only suggest it cause it's a way you could switch careers while still capitalizing on the work you put in to getting the EE degree. Patent agents/lawyers have to have a technical degree to be licensed to work in patent prosecution so not everyone can do it. Don't fall for any bullshit "masters degree" about patent work, they're ultra-meme and no law firm will take them seriously.

But you might want to actually look at a patent before going that route.
For example, it would be your job to write this with a researcher/inventor patents.google.com/patent/US5361258A and then work to get them the patent and argue with the USPTO

>I don't know if it was required.
it is. you gotta have a technical degree to work as a patent person.

>We basically get 500$ per month and completely free tuition
Do you happen to know if that is available for Americans too?

I have an engineering degree and work at Walmart. Having to network is a sign that the field is oversaturated.

hell no. I make $12/hr. I work alongside kids fresh out of high school and 40-year-old men with no degree. Building patios, trimming bushes, all kinds of shit. They hired me because I'm strong and can handle the work unlike the kids and old folks. Same with my buddy. It sucks in the summer but usually March/April/September/October are comfy. This month has been fucking 32C every damn day despite the season though.

Wow. Just completely wrong everywhere.

Landing a software engineering job is easy if you understand frameworks, design patterns, and algorithms. Project experience with internships or relevant school projects where there were little to no assistance or guidelines will define your resume as a new grad. Almost all engineering interviews are conducted by engineers. HR only show up when answering questions about benefits packages and compensation.

Hardware jobs are fucking hard as fuck to find and carry a minimum of a master's degree to be taken seriously. They also don't pay as well when compared to lead software engineering positions.

>Graduated in Computer Engineering from "public ivy league" school
>Working senior position at top rated firm nationally

You're either an idiot or you have no relevant experience in projects that make you a worthwhile hire.

Not many companies want to hire someone and spend months teaching them shit they should know on day 1 to be considered a good hire.

I said software jobs were plentiful, I'm happy being a dev.

Is the hardware side seriously more competitive and worse paid? That can't be true.

I honestly dont know. We do have exchange students programs but I think it's mainly for EU-countries and its only available for masters programs during the 4th and 5th year

Here in Sweden, 97% of engineers are hired within 2 years. Those 3% who didn't get hired either went something niche, had bad grades or only finished 3 years. Someone finishing EE or mechanical with masters on top of that? Come on stop bullshitting

Im honestly sorry to hear. Don't really know what to say

That experience sounds like you could've learned it by yourself given that you had the passion for it. Not sure if infosec is yet at the point where a university certificate gives you any leverage on the job market. You will anyway be a long time under the shadow of self-learned born-to-be-hackers.

Lol, fucking faggot, you were planning on getting rich in the oil business? serves you right

>omg I'll go work in a field that destroys ecosystems and litterally fuels civil wars and open conflicts because I want to earn six figures :DDD

Kill yourseklf

Abso-fucking-lutely
Hardware is only consolidated to a few companies making and researching IC.

Most companies making things you think resemble homemade IC is just SoC shit bought off the shelf. When you can get a full fledged PC for 10$, there's no point dumping hundreds of thousands into R&D unless you have a very niche market... In that case you don't want some cocksucker with a bachelor's.. and if you're developing IC for other markets and vendors. You don't want to service some dumb fuck with a bachelor's mistake.

Well, how exactly do I get that experience now that the degree is finished and internships are unavailable. My GPA is > 3.0/4.0

You're quite right. Unfortunately, though I do seem to have quite a knack and thorough understanding of the science, I don't consider myself to be a self-learned born to be'er and my real passion is in music. I want to excel and establish a career in infosec in order to facilitate a financially sound environment for myself to continue to pursue songwriting throughout my lifetime.

Not bullshitting. I don't have a masters.

To be fair, those arn't the type of things an 18 year old is thinking about when they are leaving high school.

Consider yourself an outlier then. You're a very rare case

You sound alright. Let wörk be wörk and keep pursuing your passions elsewhere. I believe infosec is a growing field and your degree probably qualifies to server admininstration etc. should you not find a job in the field.

Github.
Open source projects.
Personal projects.
Anything that displays understanding and experience of design patterns, frameworks, design paradigms used in industry.
Figure out where you want to work, what language they specialize in and what technologies are used the most.

I can give you a headstart and tell you that RESTful interfaces, ORM (hibernate), dependency injection build tools (maven), unit testing, and Atlassian Suite or Microsoft TFS will get you an interview pretty much anywhere.

EE here, just got hired at Goldman Sachs. Honesly I don't even like engineering, but I have passion to study a lot beyond what they teach at university(in my case, about finance).
Just find something which you like. Programming is easy af to learn these days, although the job market is getting saturated quickly. I recommend becoming familiar with assembly, computer architecture, fpga design, compiler engineering. I can guarantee that there are not many indians who can substitute a solid computer engineer.

Do you have an MBA? I know a bit about finance through /biz/ recommended books, but it seems like today you're locked in to what you have a degree in.

Thanks for that, but learning new technologies every 2 years is just something I have no interest in any more.

>something you like
>programming

Nope.

This actually does sound like pretty solid advice though. My company does this sort of thing, (embedded systems design). I just want to get away from the whole desk/computer life.

Im guessing the source for the image is lewd

it looks lewd.

Then you don't belong in any STEM field.

>junior
>finance major
>in a fraternity
>honors college, but little extracurricular stuff to put on resume
>studying abroad next semester

Am I going to make it brahs? What are some good extra stuff I can do to make my resume look good?

Is being good at math really a must to be an above average programmer? Because people keep telling me conflicting opinions. Most say its a must.

6 years into my Physics degree
>>""""( I want to die )"""""

Of course not. Go for gender studies and post-journalism. Then make a career out of Cred Forums. After you establish yourself, consider teaching and after awhile make a sattement and full disclosure by actually teaching your students what their jobs are supposed to be.

Depends on the field. Most programming jobs deal very little with high level mathematics. Most programming jobs actually don't give a fuck if you're an average or above average programmer. Knowing math doesn't harm you either, though. Companies that do calculation-oriented tasks usually have dedicated persons to deal with the math, like statisticians, data scientists, bioinformaticians, algorithm developers, beardnecks etc.

Nah you don't not compared to the average physicist or mathematician ( obviously )

that sounds exactly like where I want to be in 2 years, good luck man

Sorry for the late reply. The answer is no, but here in Brazil the system is much different. Grades doesn't matter(my average grade is 62/100) and networking is not so important, they usually hire people through official recruiting process, where they apply tests and group dynamics. However if you are not in one of certain 5 schools they will probably throw away your resume. Fluent English is essential, and I am fortunate that not so many people here are. Also, even companies like GS doesn't care about quotas so much here. 90% of the people I see are white males and asians.
I guess to find a good job it's better to be in the top 1 university of Brazil(but top 200 in the world) than like top 20 in US(and top 30 in the world).

too be fair i was fully aware of the implications of joining the O&G industry

I just didnt give a FUCK

I don't even know calculus mate. I imagine better maths skills may be useful but it's never really been a barrier.

>get a STEM degree
>develop a specialized set of knowledge only applicable to one field
>compete with a hundred thousand other people for the same position, most of whom also were tryhards in college
>either get into your field and literally have no life outside of work because you sold yourself into working harder and longer than your competition or starve

greatest meme of all time honestly
more supply of willing STEM nerds = less demand for them

Might as well get a degree in art or business at that point lmao.

>top end salary means London

Okay, your posts have been humorous but I'm going to have to call it a day there, the novelty value has gone. You know far less than you think you do and I'm not really surprised that PPE is the best you could manage with your limited intellect.