What is Cred Forums's opinion on (((((Common Core Math)))))?

What is Cred Forums's opinion on (((((Common Core Math)))))?

What purpose does reinventing standard arithmetic serve? It is confusing to children. Who could be behind this?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YtLEWVu815o
youtube.com/watch?v=LQ8Nr3_2724
forward.com/culture/182587/david-coleman-the-most-influential-education-figur/
archive.is/GU3CS
tea.texas.gov/About_TEA/News_and_Multimedia/Correspondence/TAA_Letters/New_Statutory_Requirements_Prohibiting_the_Adoption_or_Use_of_Common_Core/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Coleman_(education)
archive.is/Rv47u
youtube.com/watch?v=N3bEh-PEk1g
dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3291895/The-grade-math-question-puzzled-5-5-5-15-NOT-correct-answer.html
youtube.com/watch?v=nFyxzFSXkN8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Watch this video : youtube.com/watch?v=YtLEWVu815o

Common core is simply a tool to demoralize and demotivate children from studying in the future

There are a lot of words there for a simple math problem. Typical government making shit a lot more confusing than it needs to be.

I get what they are doing but it is besides the fact that is has to be the most retarded way to go about it.

>What is Cred Forums's opinion on (((((Common Core Math)))))?

You don't need to ask for our /opinion/ of it.

Go look at what the creators say. They deliberately designed it to "equalize the gap between white students and others".

In essence they're attempting to make a system so backwards that the white students are handicapped enough that the others catch up.

I'm sure the asians will just ignore the new method and expand their lead.

>It is confusing to children
That's quite the claim. Millions of kids understand it just fine.

That is some Harrison Bergeron shit

honestly it's refreshing to see more albanian flags lately

There is literally nothing wrong with common core math. The problem is that teachers are worthless.

Man... I want to know how they explain imaginary numbers

The argument in favor of this is that anyone good at arithmetic does this kind of breaking down in their heads to arrive at an answer. It falls apart because questions like these try to get kids to learn that method but confuse them by redefining the plain text of the question. The kid is perfectly reasonable to believe you can only make 13 with 8+5, but these people think that's a fine way to ask about an intermediate step.
Also ignored is that most of those people that do these kinds of splitting operations in their head started off by learning old carrying arithmetic and then started using the kind of trick without even realizing they were doing it.

It's very obvious that they want to teach basic principles behind math that everyone who is not fucking retarded would figure out by themselves.

The only problem is that they themselves are fucking retarded too and thus approach the issue in the worst possible way.

outwitted by a nigger
what a shame

Worse than programming Brainfuck.

>Just throw away the 3

You can tell the kikes invented this shit so kids would grow up to be good goy and the merchant can just take away 3, 30, 300, 3000, 30,0000 from their paycheques without so much as an eyeroll.

I have to send my future children to private schools now, yet still be taxed for public school brainwashing and demoralization.

That isn't what Common Core is, tho.

Common Core is a set of uniform, national educational standards.

That fag math is shit union cadres in government schools come up with to paper over the fact that blacks and Mexicans aren't very good at math. Because it's the "way we teach math", you see?

Education isn't about teaching the answers. It's about teaching the thinking process and how to arrive at those answers. That's the purpose of common core.

Most people do "common core" tier maths in their head all the time. I think they are just trying to teach that way of doing stuff.

Like, 8+5. Build an "easy" number first, ie 8 + (5-3) = 10, then re-add the 3 = 13.

It's at least useful for higher numbers

You're retarded if you think what you said is in any way factual.

this isn't something you should teach tho because it's way too abstract to be effectiveley put in words. Normally, if you don't have an IQ bellow 99, you should probably realised this trick by yourself. At some point you know you can do this in your head to calculated larger number in easier ways but let's take OP's picture for example. The dumb bimbo teaching it clearly do not understand what the fuck the trick is even supposed to be. She think you need to keep and had the remaining 3. This is the problems. For us it's pretty clear but people, normal people, are really, REALLY, fucking dumb.

Really.

that's actually my handwriting holy shit

LMAO meme mathematics. Literally does nothing other than confuse the fuck out of kids. Fucking abuse is what it is, making kids hate mathematics forever. This teacher is a fucking doughnut. You can't just ignore that there is three leftover using that meme method which I have no idea where this shit comes from. Even if you go "oh yeah there's a number 10 there so you can do it", the sum (8+2=10)+3 is not equal to fucking 10, it is still equal to 13.

That's like saying oh see I have four apples and if I just ignore one fucking apple I have three apples. VERY ILLOGICAL.

Standard Jewish anti-knowledge. Franz Boaz, Stephen J. Gould, and Irving Kristol have all left there marks by hurting the goal of knowledge.

This shows how easy it is to gaslight people.

>pulling numbers out of your ass to get the result you want instead of accepting the actual answer

What could go wrong? Once this generation of common coretards enters the workforce the economy is fucked.

Mike Cuckabee

Jewish attempt to brainwash using public education to deteriorate the logical thought processes of young children.

If you don't believe me, look at how ((((creative)))) common core is in comparison to real mathematics.

No child left behind. Lowest common denominigger

This guy doesn't get it

What's 84+19?

You start by then asking yourself "What's 84+16?" (Remembering the 3 unit difference 16 has with 19) and you say "Oh, it's 100" Then you add 3 to get 103.

Its just a quicker way to do mental math but I just thought it was something I did until it was put in to the Common Core. It's a little weird to be teaching it to kids though, as anyone who isn't bright likely would know what the fuck they're talking about

It is the first step towards our enslavement. When you determine how people think, it becomes simple to tell them what to think, and not to question you.

That the people who promote it send their children to private school should have been a hint.

Maybe if the question wasn't worded as if it were written by an autistic teenager, it would make sense. But "add 8+5 to get 10" is fuckin tarded. All they literally had to say was "answer 8+5 using simplification to make 10, show your work" or something similar.

What in the actually fuck type of question is that? Purge all public school educators when?

you can bet your ass the private schools get the good stuff. common core is just programming the goyim.

Nice reference! The kid is correct. You cannot make 10 from 8 + 5. What kind of bullshit is this? And there shouldn't be a need to show how you got your answer; the good old way was to memorize and eventually you just knew. F*cking dumb.

I'm a math major and I have no clue what that question is asking.
>Tell how to make 10 when adding 8+5
What the FUCK is that supposed to mean?

>Literally Orwellian math.

We're so fucked.

This is how I've always done math in my head.

Obviously it doesn't help much with 8+5, but take 345 and 128, the way I do it in my head is I round the numbers to the nearest 10 then make the difference.

350+130=480
480-5-2=473

>(((((Common Core Math)))))
I henceforth propose [[[]]] for the anglo.
rest assured its not (((common core))) it's [[[common core]]] through and through

I think they are trying to explain the process. The question makes no sense to us because we haven't been in the class, but I'm sure the student has been exposed to similar things. I'm not saying it's a great method, but I do understand it.

It makes more sense for larger numbers though. Mostly from repitition, I just know that 8+5=13. But say the question was like 78+27. You add 80+30 which is easy and then subtract 2+3 (the difference between the old problem and new) and get 105. It also makes more sense if you're doing math in your head vs on paper.

I propose >>>anglo

lol kids are retarded

In non-bizarro world, the question would say:

>Round 8+5 to the nearest 10.

lol what i fucking did was 84+20 and took one off

dumbass

here in my country we don't call that core math, we call it math

This is some Orwellian shit, right here.

> 2+2 is 5, goyim.
> OBEY!

They're literally purposefully making our children retarded and we still won't stop them. What the fuck is this country?

>Who could be behind this?
no idea
hmmmm

gee, i wonder who could benefit from having an entire generation too stupid to revolt, but just smart enough to operate the last machines before the robots take over

hmmmmm

imma firin mah neurons

this
You're doing too much, by common core math you just failed your grade and now to redo it next year. DUMB IT DOWN MORE, FAGGOT.

>American test scores, IQ in freefall for last 50 years
>Now becoming really obvious
>Common core
>Literally the least intuitive way to do anything

Nothing to see here folks. Just the expected progression of mentally breaking the public.

common core is designed to get stupid fucking kids to be able to do math via a systematic "core" of problem solving tools.

since poor negro kids are too stupid to figure out a mental system for numbers and addition common core is supposed to enforce that unified thinking process.

i.e. in OP's image the equation is still 8+5=13 but your poor ghetto trash is incapable of abstracting that concept so instead they game the logic of back down by breaking the 5 down into 2 and 3 because 8+2=10 then add 10+3=13

It's an extra set of steps that confuse children who's brains work properly, and it probably doesn't help the little idiot kids either.

but teachers don't care as it normalizes grades so there aren't people failing or succeeding in extremes, so people don't give them shit for being bad teachers

Isn't it though? lol

no shit nigger. when people are forced to go to schools that teach them jack shit until 16, your brain is already done developing, and guess what, Billy?

you're going to be a fucking 85IQ shithead until the day you die.

better thank uncle sam for the best education Money(TM) can buy!

The autism is real.

wait, are black kids smarter

If that were the case the question ought to be 'what is the sum of these numbers by first equating them to 10.' ( in kiddy terms).

>Then add 3
So... 13

>

Common core is similar to how I've always added numbers up in my mind.
It's not very useful if you have access to a pencil and paper or calculator, though.

Kek

d'awww

>not taking 1 from 84 to make it 83+20

oh shit nigger what are you doing

>But say the question was like 78+27. You add 80+30 which is easy and then subtract 2+3 (the difference between the old problem and new) and get 105.
I think this is what most people do by default.
No need to confuse the fuck out of young humans in school.

Teacher here, I hope Common Core does find ground here in Germany.

First - IQ is mostly inheritable. The lowest estimate is 60% inheritable, the average is about 75-80%. Second - Men usually aren't fully done developing until they're 22 to 24 on average, especially mentally. Third - compulsory education is 12 years, and 40% (and raising) of people between the age of 18 and 29 are either in or have gone to college. Raising the average time spent in a state run "education" facility 14 years. So until the person in question is about 22, not 16.

>not adding 10 to 84 to make 94, then 9 to that to make 103.

Wtf are you people doing?

its a really stupid way to get the kids used to add shit. their whole thing now is getting everything compartmentalized into 10s. so they want 10+3 instead of 8+5 which is what i would do in my head as a kid. they just go on about it in such an assbackward way that its fucks everyone up

>What purpose does reinventing standard arithmetic serve?
Making people so retarded that they believe MSM polls without checking methodology.

Math isn't even the worst of it. Communist Core history is pure revisionism. Even the Soviets didn't rewrite history this much.

Has to be some psyops designed by (((social engineers)))

Mathematics is the study of patterns. These patterns exist no matter how you study them.
With that in mind, common core is completely valid and correct in terms of mathematical accuracy.
People just don't like it because it's different than how they learned it. That doesn't make it wrong, just different.

So strange that right as I read this it said

"Strange Albanian genius" in this Action Bronson song.

Wew.

>I'm retarded

Do you ever wonder why the Jews keep outsmarting you simpletons, because it's a small push here and there and you are always too slow to recognize it till it's too late.

The whole concept of Common Core is to disregard numbers, where does it say anything about what to do with the 3 in the pic OP posted.

Fucking no where

The 3 is simply fucked off into the abyss never to be seen again. Yet how is this possible, it still exists.

We all know that, we all automatically know that but these kids are being taught to just disregard numbers and if they say wait a minute they are told ''oy vey how dare you complain you are wrong!'' all their lives until they have no choice to accept it and do it automatically mentally without ever questioning it.

To just fuck numbers off into oblivion which is how it starts, it starts with a 3 here and a 3 there then it grows like my original post said and no one questions it.

Then they grow up not caring where these numbers go, then the taxes start increasing but heyyyyyyy who cares it's numbers we've been taught and told all our lives to fuck off what we don't need and they just accept it cause that's what Mr Shekelstein taught them.

It's fucking Jew square physics all over again but none of you will realize it till it's far too late.

I think its garbage

This. It's Lysenkoism, math edition.

I help a kid and his fucking dumb mom with common core math once in a while. She can't figure out numberlines. The poor kid is doomed to retardation.

All common core math is doing is teach people how to do mental math. Don't memorize 1000 things, break everything down into simple things.

I think its good that they are teaching it, but it seems like the parents and the teachers just do a shit job. Intention is there but the execution is shit.

GEE I WONDER

Yes. One guy also said he designed to counter white privilege and another said it was heavily inspired by Judaism.

COME THE FUCK ON AMERICA WTF??

STOP THESE GOD DAMN KIKES ALREADY FUCK

how stupid do you have to be to not understand that question

Oh that's just pure propaganda. You're full of shit

These commie fuckwads in education cannot be sent to the gas chambers fast enough.

Except in context they're literally just teaching kids to count by tens and then add the remainder but w/e.

I know Cred Forums is satire but you goys are really pushing it sometimes.

why don't they just say 8+__=10?

It makes no sense to say take the 2 from 5. the 5 can be any number larger than 2. Fuck

>the 5 can be any number larger than 2
So the 5 can be a 7?

>denominigger

When you consider who becomes grade school teachers and who breeds the most
You'll realize there's no escape

>Teacher admits he helped write Common Core to end white privilege
youtube.com/watch?v=LQ8Nr3_2724

>David (((Coleman))), the Most Influential Education Figure You've Never Heard Of
forward.com/culture/182587/david-coleman-the-most-influential-education-figur/
archive.is/GU3CS

>“The idea that kids can do more than we think they can is one of Judaism’s most beautiful contributions,"

LITERALLY GOOGLED "COMMON CORE WHITE PRIVILEGE" AND "COMMON CORE JUDAISM"

KILL YOURSELF YOU PIECE OF KIKE SHIT

The black girl is older than the white girl.

Math is a social construction of the patriarchy... Reality is a social construction to keep us down. We can make reality out to be whatever we want it to be. Down with Jew science. Unleash the power of the Vril!!!

One of the best flags for such a shit country

My state actually outlawed Common Core.

>One teacher wrote the standards for one class in one school district in one state in one country.
>That must mean the entire system is corrupt!

Common core isn't wrong, it's math. If you think it's wrong, it means you don't understand math.

no it didn't

it was funded by elites like bill gates who want to ensure that publicly schooled kids are artificially stupider than privately schooled kids, so that the common pleb is too dumb to rise against them.

It is a divisive thought process which they are teaching. Find two things in one, creative stimulation for children. It encourages exploring newer methods of solving the same problems, and so goes against traditional teaching methods.

Common Core is the future of learning, get used to it, and start thinking like a Common Core student before the world leaves you in the dust because of your intellectual slacking.

tea.texas.gov/About_TEA/News_and_Multimedia/Correspondence/TAA_Letters/New_Statutory_Requirements_Prohibiting_the_Adoption_or_Use_of_Common_Core/

Yes it did.

>texas

yeah no

Not an argument.

If I took three from the eight would that be wrong?

Did you even read the article kike? The architect of Common core is a literal Jew.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Coleman_(education)

That's not the only school that implemented "white privilege dismantling" into the fucken standards either.

Fuck off you shill cunt.

You do realize that Texas is by far the most influential state when it comes to education, right? Pretty much every textbook comes from texas

no u can do whatevs:)

its not required to be

they didn't

>south
>influential about education

oh i am laughing

>A Jew did something!
Alert the media!
Due, math is math. It's the study of patterns and nothing more. How you learn to understand those patterns makes no difference. You don't care about actual math, you just wanna complain about jews

Hope you burgers like your kids new (((history))) lessons.

k i l l

y o u r s e l f

a n t i

a m e r i c a n

s c u m

The state literally provides something like 90% of all textbooks for the entire country.
If that's not influential, then idk what is.

>How you learn to understand those patterns makes no difference
Then why redesign a tried and tested way of teaching them?
>It's OK, goy ... you can trust us!
Go jump in an oven.

Is basically 1984's newspeak

>1 shekel has been deposited into your account.

Thank you for correcting the record.

>oh i am laughing

Be careful not to choke on air, literal mouth-breather.

>Then why redesign a tried and tested way of teaching them?
Because not everyone was learning. Math scores have done nothing but go down prior to the introduction of common core, so it makes sense that they'd want to make a change. The math itself ain't broken, it's the teaching

I'm a random POL Member and i approve this message

And parents have not seen it before so if taken out of context it looks dumb. I thought so to till I read up on some of the methods and had "oh that makes sense" moment. For arithmetic I was using it and didn'the even know it.

The problem with math education in the US is union protected teachers who don't give a fuck, and degenerate parents who don't give a fuck about the education of their kids.

Sit any kid down for 2 hours a day and force them to do math problems and I can get them through calculus no problem.

wtf is this retarded shit.

>A Map of Time
t-that's not a map

Wrong "your" cheeky cunt

the white kid is adorable (´・ω・`)

Props to the nigger for having common sense

The problem is the people who write the common core questions are fucking idiots.

People do the "common core" method of maths when it comes to awkward numbers, but they do it naturally, and if you want to teach this method you have to do it right.

The question should have been something along the lines of:

"Show that 8+5 is 13, by first making 10"

And then the answer would be:

8+2 = 10
5-2 = 3
10+3 = 13

8 of them are Nazis, 5 are Jews(3 of which are really good hiders).

>then add 3

>equalize the gap between white students and others
you mean between white students and indians/east asians/arabs, who are currently RAPING your american white students like dogs on every standardized test in the world because they are taught a proper curriculum

8+5 = 13 = 10+3. see the 10? it's really that simple...

if you're telling me white students can't understand that then you're telling me white students are retarded, and i don't believe that.

stop trying to teach our youth that numbers are like indivisible lego blocks and maybe we'll stop losing in math to the rest of the world.

I know what they're going for, it's a way to make some math easier for example it's kind of hard to know what 173 + 279 is just off the top of your head, so it can help to turn the problem into 200 + 252 by just transferring 27 from one to the other.

It's still written by dipshits, kids should be able to do 8 + 5 in their head without needing to do any special bullshit.

Hmm I had never even thought that was the objective, I would always split things like that automatically in my head to help solve problems. This is definitely not the way to teach kids to do that though. It would always piss me off when teachers would try and force common core or ask for "estimations" on easily solvable problems, I would refuse to give them anything but the mathematically correct answer.

Canadian schools don't ask retarded questions like "Make 10 with 8+5" and we beat you in math. Get cucked, only an Ameritard with no logical thinking would think such a question makes sense at all!

>map of time
>it's a list
>tie began in 1919 apparently
>both world wars omitted
>two books by literally who's are major world events apparently

Burn it all, burn it all.

Here's the thing. I'm 20 and I was never taught like this. It was always like 13+8=21. No extra BS steps, but I do understand it and its actually how I've always done math. I'd always bring it to the closest multiple of 10 and add what's remaining. However when I did it it was done intuitively, this is just confusing for kids.

his was faster for me user, that's the way I've always done mental numbers n shit

Maybe they should stop wasting time on this and teach nigglets the basics about how much to leave as a tip.

This is why the world is dumbing down. People like you.

8+5 = 13 = 10+3 = 4+9 = 1+12 = 6+7

There is no reason to break the numbers up, at all. It serves no purpose. Mathematical elegance is the simplification of equations, not the complication.

Go kill yourself.

>Kill every Kike

KeK

>345 and 128
Are you a shill? That was the exact same example in one of the vidoes to justify this shit

>shitposting this hard

>You can not make 10 with 8+5

Yeah... the kid is right.

>Yes you can.

Uh, what? OK teacher, this oughta be good. Please explain.

>Take 2 from 5

You didn't say anything about 2, you said 8 and 5!

>and add it to 8 (8+2=10)

...OK, well it's true that the 2 you just conjured up does add up with 8 to make 10, but...

>Then add 3

... What the fuck? You already have 10 now.

>Then add 3

But that would make 13, not 10!

>THEN ADD THE 3

What the fuck is going on here???

>THEN ADD THE 3
>THEN ADD THE 3
>THEN ADD THE 3
>THEN ADD THE 3

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH

Becauth the bowfth hath two

Everything from 0+0 to 10+10 should be memorized.

>scores are going down because we all stopped "getting it"
>not because the jews have been infecting our education since bezmenov times, no sireeee

daily reminder that when common core doesn't solve the scores we will get an even jewier and worse version

>kids are so retarded they need charts to add

What the fuck is this ignorant garbage. I would destroy a mother fucker if they tried teaching this shit to my kid.
>8+5=10
>Jewish book keeping tricks

>math scores go down
>not because shitskins are in education now and reproducing more

Go away.

That was just an example I used, but you're right. That should be memorized. You probably don't need a chart for it, but the content is what matters.

how much do you get for correcting the record?

Exactly, they shouldn't need it. But the retard needed one for demonstration purposes.

I understand the concept of common core math. Any of the questions I see I understand the process they're TRYING to teach. The processes they use for addition and subtraction are how I mentally do them even though I was not taught common core.

But my question is why? What's the point? I learned math through memorization and now I utilize, in essence, the common core methods.

But why teach kids the most complicated methods first?

+5=10
What it's showing is that 8 + 5 = 10 with a remainder of 3, or 13. It's retarded but it's technically true. No reason to teach a child how to count like that though.

guess what guys
it was never the jews
it was satanists larping as jews
jews have just been keeping up the big lie out of fear

good news kids

take everything you have learned from pol
archive.is/Rv47u

apply it to this, i am perfectly aware of the source and so you can see the truth right in front of you.

peace be with you brothers.
hail victory.

this guy is a genius

This isn't just an arithmetic "trick" though. The underlying concept should resurface repeatedly in middle and high school during algebra and trig.

You say this because you haven't taught undergraduate students who struggle with simple factoring of polynomials if they don't fit into the preset "patterns" they memorized rote in high school. They're in diffy q's and math reasoning, they need to decompose functions to evaluate an integral or complete a proof, and they come up with some of the most interesting things i've ever seen.

What kind of NA math is that shit?

Wrong. The real answer is that men stole money from the woman through institutionalized sexism so a woman always earns less than a man.

I am speechless.
But what worries me is if I am in the minority to see what this is

Looks like 2 towers weren't enough.

This is true.
Technically they both have 40 cents, but Amy earned 25% less because of patriarchy.

Thats fucking retarded. I would like to see somebody apply that crap to engineering.
>This hole must be drilled to 13mm
>So lets drill a pilot hole of 3mm and then a follow up of 10mm = 13mm

>>So lets drill a pilot hole of 3mm and then a follow up of 10mm = 13mm
>Mfw in a lot of scenarios you actually do make pilot holes and gauge up so that you don't wear out bits/ overall it's quicker
Yeah it's retarded. It's how I do a lot of math in my head, but if someone taught me how to do math the way that I do it now I'd probably have fallen behind in school.

It's an extremely inefficient way of solving problems that anyone who pursues math will develop on their own with no instruction

this is how i used to do math in my head when i was a kid though, i would break off pieces so i was left with a 0 or 5 and then add whatever else i had on top

----------------------/z 9YHT

>You say this because you haven't taught undergraduate students who struggle with simple factoring of polynomials if they don't fit into the preset "patterns" they memorized rote in high school. They're in diffy q's and math reasoning, they need to decompose functions to evaluate an integral or complete a proof, and they come up with some of the most interesting things i've ever seen.
The problem here really just is with the wording of "make 10". You can state the question in a less retarded way.

How my fucked up dyslexic brain did this:

84 + 19 = 89 +14 = 89 + 10 + 4 = 99 + 4 = 103

This is precisely it. They're trying to teach them math to get them good grades and provide entertainment value for how they deconstruct problems. It's literally for teacher entertainment and political masturbation to make sure blacks get 'good grades'. It is not for the application to the world, such as engineering.

When worldly success is determined by people, you get this bullshit. The world determines success, not people.

>It was always like 13+8=21. No extra BS steps,
No it wasn't.

You were taught that 3+8 = 11, to carry the 1, and that 1+1=2 so the answer is 28. This is an extremely efficient, accurate and communicable way to preform arithmetic.

Every student should memorize addition of every number up to 20 and times tables up to 12x12

I actually meant that with common core applied (as the teacher shows), a 3mm pilot + 10mm follow up would equal 13mm finish. Still getting back to point, common core just seems like another way to pander to idiots whilst confusing smarter kids at the same time. I would assume that the smart kids already do "common core" automatically in their head.

The problem that a lot of things they teach are legitimate for mental math but are absolutely horrible to write out and just make things confusing. Knowing that 8 + 5 = 3 + 10 is great when you are adding in your head and need to group your tens together, but asking it like this is just confusing.

If they want to teach these things they should just do tests where the student has to do the math mentally and cannot show any work.

21. Phone posting

Designed by (((you know who))) to make white and asian kids as dumb as niggers.

(8+2)+3

the point of it is to show math is abstract. Just because you have a certain number doesn't mean you can't manipulate it to do what you want.

This is retarded to teach people who aren't starting algebra though.

Think about it for a second. Common core math teaches kids that logic = bad and "whatever i think is right" = correct.

It's subtle propaganda from the leftists, making kids think "any way of doing things is correct" can be applied to anything. This will make those kids grow up with those ideals, and those ideals will make them leftists by default.

It is a good tactic mentally. It is a terrible tactic to do on paper in complete isolation of any addition like this.

No, I added the larger numbers first 8+1, then added the 9+4 to get 13. Then I added the 1 from the 13 to 9 and got 100, then I went back to the stored number 13 and added it to 100 and got 113. I was wrong.

It's also totally unnecessary to do so and without memorization of common sums and products the actual amount of time and brainpower required to solve a problem goes through the roof.

>a 3mm pilot + 10mm follow up would equal 13mm finish
Ah I see what you mean. Pretty funny.
See, for me though, a way that "common core thinking" does translate into the real world, is that, if I only had a 10mm bit, and I drilled out a hole, I'd say "10 from 13 leaves 3, 3 is 33.3r% or 1/3 of ten, and then I would use the 10mm bit to waller out the hole an addition 3mm, or 33.3%+, or 1/3 bigger.
But again, teaching kids that way is ridiculous because it's more confusing than saying "10 + 3 = 13".
In a way common core math does seem like it would help with real world use, but it's better to teach fundamentals and then let people translate those fundamentals when they need to in the real world.

Are you really dumb enough to need intermediate steps for addition? Jesus christ. This must be some kike shilling.

I almost failed math because I did everything mentally. I also couldn't remeber the paper formulas, my brain just kinda snapped the answers together on their own, so instead of getting 10 points for question, i got 1-2. They couldnt really fail me completely, because I never got a end result wrong.
>Fucking math

>Tell how

>8+5 = 13 = 10+3. see the 10

This is what people do in their heads. Its called mental math. For some reason the lesser races don't seem to be able to develop this on their own.. So it has to be specifically taught to them. they do it in such an ass retarded way that it does not alow the bright students (most white) to progress. it drags the top students down.

This is simply a stage that all humans go through. Conservation of number doesn't come in till between age 4-6 (naturally might not occur till later on if we didn't actively teach mathematic ideas).

But everything you know about number has to be taught and explicitly studied even from a young age. Amazonian tribes in the jungle have been found to only have 4 numbers (1, 2, 3, 4+) but these numbers are contextual and change depending on the situation (so if you have a group of 2, 4, 5, 7, and 8, they might be referred to as 1,2,3,4+,4+)

Anyway it sucks being a teacher when the universitys are full of leftist cucks but most of the male teachers and lots of the older female ones are actually pretty grounded after putting up with the shit for ages. It's the young, dumb fresh out of uni whores that suck

I just do long addition in my head for this. Works fine and has never failed me.

I don't agree with that user, but you're the only one here who's shitposting. He posted an actual fucking argument and the only thing you had to counter it was to call it b8, you are the cancer that is killing this board, please go back to r.eddit or 9gag or wherever the fuck you came from.

Academic mathematical gymnastics that serve no point other than to dissuade children from wanting to continue to learn.

A 4 year old could understand the question, but the point is that it is a dumb question that doesn't get you anywhere.

Fucking this.

I can understand this. Kids do not have that level of consciousness. They see authorities as gods and it's heavily emotional for them when they're told they're wrong, they think that everything they did was wrong. If the teacher cannot adequately explain what you just did to the kid (either by being unable or the kid being incapable of such knowledge), it is basically psychological/emotional abuse of children - who performed the steps that are trying to be taught, but are told that it's wrong.

youtube.com/watch?v=N3bEh-PEk1g

>never memorized multiplication tables
>have poor mathematics skills
>math, algebra, and calculus were always my weakest subjects

>now they're quite literally teaching kids to be shittier at math than I am

I had something like this in a chemistry class in high school. There were some questions on one of the quizzes with basic computations, not even any algebra. I got every question right but lost like half of the points because I didn't "show my work".

I can certainly understand why showing your work is important for algebra or calculus or anything, but for basic computations aside from maybe long division it should not be required.

5+8 = 3 + 2+8

i dont see a problem with common core
sometimes it does sound stupid, but isnt this how we all do it in our heads? go near the 10's first then add the difference?

how i did it in my head

84+19 = 84 + 10 = 94
94 - 4 = 90
4+9 = 13
13 + 90 = 103
Thus 103

Im probably not explaining it right but thats about the thought process. It is so second nature that i dont even think about it.

>Not understanding the significance of powers of 10 for mental arithmetic

There is zero things wrong with OP's picture other than the autistic wording of the question. Kids need to be taught how to conceptualize powers of ten.

Kill yourself.

What the fuck my mind is forever blown. Here's what I did:
>84 + 19 = 90 + 13 = 103
So many ways... seems like common core is not that common, is it?

Really this is so fucking obnoxiously simple it's fucking hilarious but sad that so many people don't understand how this fucking works.

If you have 2 lumps of clay, one of which is equal to 5 and another which is equal to 8, you take 3 away from the 5 so it's a 2 lump, then smash it into the 8 lump. Is that easier? You fucking retards

This

>But say the question was like 78+27. You add 80+30 which is easy and then subtract 2+3 (the difference between the old problem and new) and get 105

I always do
70 + 20 = 90
8 + 7 = 15
90 + 15 = 105

keeps the operation the same.

False. Kids are actually falling away from math and doing horrible.

tfw hoosier and we told the common core to go fuck itself.

>I always do
>70 + 20 = 90
>8 + 7 = 15
>90 + 15 = 105
Hmm
78+27
80+25
100+5

Blacks develop their intelligence at a faster rate than white or asians but then stagnate during their early teens where whites and asians pull ahead.

It's not just about arithmetic. See for a shining example

The end point is to prepare students for higher math concepts while they're young and the problems are simple. Hence all the emphasis on set theory, decomposition, functions... All the backlash from parents is actually proof that math education has needed an overhaul.

ITT: People who doesn't have the patience to study and instead sits on their computer complaining.

62 / 2(3) + 4 = ?

>everyone is comfortable with 10s
>shortcuts aren't heavily subjective to what the person is comfortable with

Go die. The result is what is important, not explaining it. Jew.

Lol. Found the 18 year old retard raised on common core math!

Tidy numbers is a clear fast strategy for some equations. Why handicap yourself doing an algarithom and taking 10 times as long?

This parent is a based as fuck

It doesn't really change much of the math curriculum beyond like 1st or 2nd grade and I can respect the idea of what they wanted it to be about - giving kids a more formal introduction to mental arithmetic techniques before introducing algorithmic methods - but the execution is sloppy beyond all reason.

The fundamental problem with Common Core Math is that the people actually generating the curriculum WEREN'T mathematicians or even math teachers... most of them were retarded social studies faggots who couldn't add two and two with a gun to their head even before the Common Core changes.

You see this happen a lot - people in liberal arts fields trying to dictate what material is important and how it should be covered to people in more technical or objective fields. Every couple of years my physics department has to deal with some "education studies" PhD coming in and trying to tell us to upend our whole teaching pedagogy and we have to tell them to fuck off.

Underated post.

That mental process is pretty typical of people that do math in their heads. For example, I was at a grocery store recently and I bought 14 items at 8 dollars a piece. I asked the cashier to do the math in her head and she said she couldn't multiple by 14 in her head.

I told her she didn't have to.

Instead of 14 times 8 - do 10 times 8. Easy. 80. Now you have four left over, so do 4 times 8. Easy. 32. now just add them together. 112. Easy right?

If you want to be mad about something, be mad that Hillary is not being prosecuted for her crimes.

Woah, calm down, Biden

>Kids need to be taught how to conceptualize powers of ten.

Because nobody has ever taught kids exponents or exponential notation in the history of education right?

>it all makes sense as long as you abstract it into a fucking word problem with rules created on the fly

See this is how I know people defending this shit are stupid.The entire point of mathematics is to simplify expressions of numerals and how they interact. If you're expecting kids to come up with imaginary situations to justify retarded expressions like "How do you get 8 from 10+5" then you might as well be asking them how to get blue from purple + green.

What fucking clay? There is no fucking clay in this problem. Clay is not a unit of measurement used in the equation. Creating ass backward logic that you can break the clay down into smaller parts and add them together doesn't make any sense when Clay isn't even mentioned in the goddamn problem.

What application does getting 8 from 10+5 have in the first place? The only possible application I could even see it having is readying kids for factoring, which is entirely pointless since you're not even teaching them basic algebra yet. This common core shit is a mess.

Jesus fuck, it's late, goto sleep.

>I have no rebuttal so I'm going to proceed to ad hominem
Stay mathematically illiterate you actual fucking retard

This.

These fucking cucks need to take the dad pill and make white children instead of promoting black abortions because it makes their lives of degeneracy easier.

They know nothing of parenting, nor teaching children, but they will bitch and moan to the end of the earth about it as if they do.

simple reason is that i dont have to change the first number in my head.

something in the 70s will be a 70
something in the 50s will be a 50. it wont change based on how close it is to 60.

Been the way i have always done it.

A week in class of higher education students, teaching them why deconstruction is useful and should use the approach, is all that's needed if they aren't retarded. You don't need to psychologically abuse children like this at young ages to accomplish the higher math concepts later. In the end, math is about elegance and simplification, not complication. They are not being taught the higher math material, so they perform elegantly with what material they have. Providing no actual context to the student as to why you're complicating things, without them seeing why, is only to make the teacher's job easier, not the student's.

wtf? I want a black baby now!

This works a lot better for multiplication than it does for addition.

No, its 58.

62 / 2(3) + 4 =
62 / 2 * 3 + 4 =
36 / 2 * 3 + 4 =
18 * 3 + 4 =
54 + 4 = 58

this

>62 / 2 * 3 + 4 =
>36 / 2 * 3 + 4 =

This is exactly how I did this in my head. Rounding up to the nearest 10.

Did you mean 72 / 2(3) + 4 = ?

then you did the order of operations wrong, as well

2bh the part that angers me most is the Papyrus.

He meant what he wrote, but it's supposed to be 6squared, not "62".

t. Brainlet

what the fuck is common core math and why does it trigger Cred Forums so much?

Jesus Christ.

37 + 26, just add the single digit number to the first number then add the number in the tens spot to the sum

>37 + 6 = 43
>43 + 20 = 63

people do mental math any other way? I thought everyone did this.

>reifying shortcuts as having truth value, instead of being tools

Go somewhere else and argue over the one and only correct way to eat your salad.

Precisely. Children should be able to develop these methods on their own. If they are incapable of that then they shouldn't be in the higher level maths classes.

That's fucking stupid

lads what the fuck is this thread about??

>not trading in your shekels for a (((Goldberg))) calculator in current year
Top fucking kek you nerds are still doing mental maths

Old method:
>Add with carry

New method:
>Subtract 8 from 10 to get 2
>Subtract 2 from 5 to get 3
>Add 3 to 10 to get 13

The common core algorithm not only takes more steps but effectively defines addition in terms of subtraction instead of the other way around.

It's one think to teach optimised addition strategies based on pattern recognition, but teaching this as fundamental when the kids don't even really grasp addition in the first place yet is just stupid.

>A week in class of higher education students, teaching them why [...] is useful and should use the approach, is all that's needed
What this produces is students who are "familiar" with a tool, but invariably fail to reach for it when the time is right. It would be nice if we could teach these concepts at a young age so their use will be ingrained as part of a set of fundamental skills.

>if they aren't retarded.
"It works if they aren't retarded" is a non-argument which could just as easily be used to defend common core. Obviously, anything (including skipping class) works if the student is smart enough.

Science, particularly physics, has become significantly more complex. We have a lot more math to teach if we want our kids to be able to compete. It's easy to just blame the students and dust our hands of the matter, but if we keep doing what we've been doing, we're going to keep getting what we've got, i.e., American engineering/science departments filled with Europeans, Indians, and Chinese.

>Id have so many blacks in jail

in the shower im sure

Not that common core as a whole isn't kiked, but this is actually a good mental math strategy. It makes adding even large numbers in your head pretty easy.

>only passed my last algebra class because I memorized individual problems instead of actually learning why they work the way they do

horrendous on my part

this picture rustled my jimmies in ways you wouldn't believe

>implying that it's full of those ethnicities are a bad thing

Go.

Jews made common core. It's to dumb down the population to an IQ of 75.

Yall don't understand what "Common Core" even means.

It is not the way they are teaching math, it's the fact that they want to keep everyone on the same level no matter how smart or dumb a student is.

Every subject's core is common throughout the nation's schools. THATS why it's fucked up. It's literally Marxist education.

If you did it this way it proves you are a genius

Like & Share this to spread the word

Now THAT'S a nose!

The first 20 posts were full of dumb responses is here it goes.

Common core math is an attempt to make "beginning math" harder so kids learn less by memorizing and more by working the process. The issue was that kids would just memorize shit like 8+5=13 and never think about it again. This common core system teaches basic math in a manner more common to algebra and geometry, when they get to that point in they will have the frame work to conquer the harder subjects and not be set back because that simply memorized answers and multiplication tables etc.

Also, is it just me, or are American kids going to be fucking retarded in about 5-10 years?

I've lost all faith in younger people.

>This common core system teaches basic math in a manner more common to algebra and geometry
No it doesn't. Algebra and geometry are very much axiomatic. Common core is a set of barely coherent "rules" for working out specific problems.

In Scotland it's called the curriculum for excellence. :^)

>Be babby American jew clone in the public school system
>Teacher unit decides we're going to write hello world programs
>We're not allowed to use C in this class
>We have to disassmble an ELF binary by hand, expressing it using AT&T syntax
>It is expected that we will comment one arbitrary opcode to show that we're efficiently complying with the school's curriculum as inefficiently as possible
>Little Johnny wrote a Hello World program in C and asked why that isn't valid
>Johnny was sent to the shame cube

The question isn't even gramatically correct.

Only problem is that memorization builds confidence.

No, you're wrong. The common core algorithm presented requires memorization of all the sums of ever pair of digits from 0 to 9, just like addition with carry does. The only difference is that it requires 2 additional steps for the same sum and invokes subtraction as well. It's slower.

It stops the black students feeling dumb though.

Despite the fact that you are a leaf.
The common core strategy is my general mathematics strategy and i am an A+ math student to the masters level.

Both strategies are good though. The algorithm is great when you want a perfect answer. But the common core method trains better mathematical thinking. (so long as the teacher is not a fucking retarded totalitarian kike)

I want you to understand something.

I'm an engineer. I work with math all the fucking time. And I'm the sort of engineer that if I fuck up my math, PEOPLE DIE, so I need to be careful.

Multiplication tables always were, and always will be, a fucking waste of time. Who cares if you need to take a few extra seconds to do some math, so long as you're getting it right. Tables encouraged rote memorization, not actually learning how math works.

Speaking of how math works: Common Core is fine. The entire idea behind common core is to move away from memorization and move into teaching children math as a concept, explaining underlying foundations of math rather than just cramming in tables to memorize.

fuck off, we Russians had the best math education in the world in the 20th century, and it never had this retarded backwards shit.

kys Ahmed

>?
Christ, that feels like the most passive-aggressive punctuation mark in history.

You guys were only good in measure theory you sucked everywhere else. Now you're good because the west has crippled itself.

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3291895/The-grade-math-question-puzzled-5-5-5-15-NOT-correct-answer.html

Oh shit.. Does 2 + 2 still equal 4?

"white" means a domestic halfnigger in the United States of Sharts

Kike Bolsheviks. Their goal is to destroy the West.

The correct answer is 97.

BIDMAS, faggots, this is basic stuff.

i like how common core confuses lil kids of avg intelligence...

(HERP DeRp 2+2=4)

intentional confusion to make avg minds feel dumber

education in America SUCKS

they would rather make students dumber than smarter...

Yeah, he fucked up.

5x3, per the way that it's instructed, indicates five groups of three. What the student did was three groups of five. If you don't understand why three groups of five and five groups of three are different then you're an idiot.

yeah, sure. Making the first artificial satellite and putting a man in space first surely proves your statement.

thank you hillary...

now stfu

That's not mathematics, that's engineering with some physics.

web development with assembly wouldn't at all be a problem. shows how little assembly you know.

>sin(2pi)/(2pi)=sin
REEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Also why do you even need to evaluate that integral? Of course the integral of a trigonometric function over its period is going to be 0.

i know how to assemble my balls on your chin...

As I said earlier, you're retarded.

Common core is essentially how intelligent kids naturally learn to do basic mathematics.

If common core is too difficult to understand, you are literally subhuman filth and should be purged from the gene pool.

I wish I was a fucking Clinton.

You see the kind of shit the Clintons get away with?

But surely the opposite makes much more sense, if you're trying to prepare kids for later maths, once exponentiation is a concept for them.

>engineering and physics do not strongly reqire math
Fuck, looks like I was arguing with an Ahmed.

Adult use calculators.

Cunts insist on doing things manually

i like when i exponentiate across the bridge of your moms nose...

>Implying that American grad students not being able to find tenured positions in American universities makes sense

>2016
>not counting in base 13

>Base 13
>Not going back to glorious Babylonian Sexagesimal mathematics.

Cute af desu senpai

Ok mister savant.

>5 multiplied by 3
>multiplied by 3

You took the short bus didn't you?

It's funny how you guys think common core is aobut "white people vs other races" when it's really about "America vs other nations".

It's ok goy, keep infighting, and don't cry when Europeans, Africans, and Chinks have all the grant money in every college in your city.

Ceci nes pas un bon mathematique

The one thing I don't get about CommonCore is that these add-substract tricks were taught in like one class in elementary school here. They didn't even take one whole class, it was a little extra the teacher gave the students to deal with the problem when they were struggling.
Do you really need to make a whole syllabus based on this?

>

>when Europeans, Africans, and Chinks have all the grant money in every college in your city.

Fuck you Shlomo
That shits already happening, and not because of some new math curriculum.

God you guys are absolutely retarded. You guys bitch and moan all the time about "shills" posting disinfo videos, but then to back up your beliefs with cherry picked videos of retards, yet cry when liberals do the same shit.

Common core doesn't want to eradicate the rules of arithmetic and brain wash students. Its a revised way to mentally look at basic math problems to make them easier to do in your head after you learn the written way to do them.

The core concept is that you group numbers in terms of 0s, 5s, and 10s, and because adding, subtracting, etc groups of those numbers is far less error prone, faster, and easier. It has been shown in studies several different times that kids who are naturally stronger in mathematics naturally group numbers like this in their heads, and kids who struggle in math don't make these connections.

youtube.com/watch?v=nFyxzFSXkN8

Watch this video. You fucking morons are freaking out because an easier method of learning the same exact shit has been found, and you're scared because its a tiny bit different than the way you were taught.

The little girl literally just verbally explains the things LOTS of more naturally apt math students already do in their heads because its easier and safer, and you massive retards don't understand it for some reason.

What the fuuuuuuuuuu

>he thinks basic calculations are mathematics
wew

Source?

My take on Common Core from what I understand is that it tries to put on paper all the automatic "subconscious" steps you make during calculations in your head. Basically it's mathematics for imbeciles. And probably extremely confusing for most.

>You fucking morons are freaking out because an easier method of learning the same exact shit has been found, and you're scared because its a tiny bit different than the way you were taught
What matters is the result, and the way to solve it is looking at the process, which is where the problem lies. Teachers are too stupid to teach it effectively, and the result is worse than the former situation, to the point that lack of improvement is preferrable.
This is where you ask yourself if the teachers can't be taught more effectively as well. (They can't, most teachers are terribly arrogant and hate change)
t. teacher

Which is understandable, because they reach adulthood earlier. It goes for everything in nature - the more advanced you are, the more time you need to fully develop.

>tfw common core pizzas now obey bose statistics

No one is arguing that a shitty teacher would be able to teach this any better. The reason common core is even suggested is because our education system is absolutely fucked and we aren't training basic education teachers properly.

The fact is however, that this has been a scientifically proven superior method based on studies of mental processes of students of varying aptitudes, and those who were better, naturally did this in their heads.

Imagine it like this. Say you go out to a restaurant with a large group of people. The tip is going to be 15% as usual. The majority of the people in your party aren't going to understand how to easily get 15%. They are going to try to do it the "traditional" way of multiplying the bill, lets say 70 bucks, by 0.15. People better with math will just say in their heads "well 10% of 70 is 7, half of that would be 3.5 which is 5%, so 7+3.5 is 10.5 which is 15%"

The objective of common core is to get everyone to process in the second way because again, its faster, easier, harder to mess up, and better.

I have yet to see more than maybe 5% of people criticizing common core go after shitty cherry picked videos of kids or shitty teachers, rather that the principles of the methodology instead.

The problem isn't reinventing the wheel. Honestly, who cares if you do addition by counting on your fingers or drawing dots? The problem is focusing on the method rather than the results.

It's the same problem in African cargo cults. They think if you build something g that looks like a motorcycle, you will get a motorcycle. No. You need to focus on results - actually moving the wheels to get movement.

Schools need to focus on results - whether the kid can add numbers or not. If a child is performing slowly or not all, THEN consider extra coaching on method

>And would result in termination if used
This
Employers would be less upset if you just whipped out a calculator.

So niggers are smarter?

Put your kids in Kumon for math. American education is a total joke.

>Ask how is that possible
>The solution is that it's not possible
This is supposed to be children's math for fucks sake.

I understand the point of CC well (and yes, I do it mentally like the average spic). Again, the problem is that the results are worse than before.

Ladies and gentlemen, may i present you. The true cucks of this world; Americans
>9/11 is an event that should remain in world history
literally why
>greenpeace established
of course
>trades, fuel empire, (((economic crisis)))
>BIn Laden
Literally became completely irrelevant in everything after he died

I don't know if i'm just dumb or something but i don't know how to solve it without saying his pizza was larger?

He was supposed to say it was impossible. The answer to the question was "That's impossible". It was a fucking trick question.

The 'correct' answer is that it is inpossible. That kid is showing an excellent understanding of fractions but waa knocked for getting a diffrent answere than the all-knowing workbook. Kinda sad when you think about it

But his answer was right too, and I'd say it was a fairly clever answer. That exercise is dumb and the teacher is an idiot by misleading the poor child.

Oh right, that's pretty fucking retarded, smart kid tho.

One must apparently always assume that everyone has equally sized pizzas and then declare others wrong/incorrect when that is not the case.

>not liberal sjw kike education