Textbook scam

>be college student
>professor tells you buy textbooks for 200 plus shekels because it's "required"
>end up never using the book ever

Why is this allowed?

market tendencies don't really apply to textbooks goy

the true consumers, those who actually spend their money, the students, have no pick on what book to buy

only the professor does, and since he isn't actually buying the damn book, low price isn't an incentive to him

thus textbooks have no incentive to be inexpensive, since if they're good they'll sell anyway

yes I understand this but why tell students to buy a book that they will never use. its so kike like.

>Check the internet.
>Someone dumped a pdf scan of the book
>put that shit on laptop
>Still never use it
>Saved nearly a grand for the semester.

If they're gonna make us buy fucking print books in current year for that much cash they could at least use them for more than assigning a fewproblems out of occasionally.

cute gif

Also, another neat trick for math books at least is to check to see if foriegn copies exist, they're often identical, in english, and cost pennies on the dollar compared to US releases. I bought 4 indian math textbooks for about 10 bucks each during my stay. The books assigned to us were all over 100.

just don´t buy them. some classes require books for excercises etc. and some don´t, just plan ahead and choose what to buy yourself. it´s not like you´re going to get a bad grade for simply not owning a book.

you just answered your own question

>Not making scans of what you need then returning the book

Plebs

Even fucking worse.
Some of the classes i had, the book was written by the teacher himself.

We need to out Jew the Jew
but how?

>While getting my degree in college, had to take Econ I/II courses
>Different profs for each course
>Both profs started the course by stating how bad of an investment college books were, provided what we needed out of the books via PDFs and apologized for "The bullshit college textbooks put you through"

Econ profs always had the highest chance of being based

The name for these is "international edition."

They're completely identical except generally soft cover, and cost about $30 compared to $150+ for the US edition. They also come with a sticker that says something hilarious like "it is illegal to own this in the United States."

whoa nice digits

Who do you think writes the textbooks? Other university professors. Hell, I had one prof who made us buy his own book for $180. This scam is big money for these academic types.

The best decision I have ever made in my life was dropping out of university and learning a trade.

They're wising up to the used textbook market. All my classes now require us to pay $100 to have access to the homework and include the e-book.

Nepotism. Helping out their establishment brethren.

I had that happen once for a history prof, he wrote a book on the spead of the proto indo european language and culture though the old world. We used it everyday and the course was basically that book. Got my 50 something bucks out of it I guess, though strangely enough it was on a list of books the school would not buy back at the end of the year.

>Why is this allowed?
I never used a single one of my college books.

I got "taught" Economics by (((pic related))). Possibly the dullest man alive, it was literally impossible to take in a single word he mumbled incoherently to a sleepy lecture theatre. Worse still, he wrote the fucking textbook he mandated and the module he taught was mandatory for all Management students, so he must have been drowning in cash every October.

colleges saw this and now don't allow returns if the plastic seal is broke.

>(((university)))

wow this is actually true. my econ teacher actually is very poltically incorrect. he is the guy who says "i ain't racist, i married a cuban" then goes in class making stereotypical indian accents as a joke.

I never went to college but aren't their multiple sites for renting these books now for pretty cheap?

Can't you torrent them?

My professors go as far as to bring representatives from publishing companies to jew us into buying the textbooks. Just goes to show that University is a Jewish institution.

some schools have their own edition made so the questions either are tweaked or completely different.

>I never went to college but aren't their multiple sites for renting these books now for pretty cheap?
>Can't you torrent them?

No, what happened was they knew this was losing them money, so they made online registration of the books mandatory, meaning you can not do the tests for the class if you did not buy a brand new copy

>cheap. the renting option is just a little less than $20 of the book and its only for a certain amount of days so if you didnt pass the class you are fucked to pay again. Atleast if you buy it once you never have to buy it again unless you get a different professor who wants the class to have a different book.

I ended up using text books quite a lot during my degree. I think part of it is also that the makers are going after the 2nd hand market by making you buy access to the digital stuff which could include tests or whatever.

As the other user said, some books have online access codes now you have to buy.

I got fucked over this semester because my profs made me get the newest edition of books (published within a year ago). I e-mailed them and asked if I could use an older version and they all said no. Luckily I was able to rent them for a reasonable price. I just hope we actually use the book.

Another way I got cucked was through school-specific books. There's no way this should be allowed.

My Intro to Philosophy teacher was like that.

He wrote the libgen URL on the whiteboard while saying "I can't tell you where to go if you can't afford to buy the textbook" and let us use older editions of the textbook that were about $5.

>$200 for a textbook
>sell it after a semester
>Sorry Goy it's the old edition, but I'll take it for $5

> class wants me to buy a fucking compass
> the teacher never even mentions it even though like half the class brings it every day

>it´s not like you´re going to get a bad grade for simply not owning a book.
Welcome to America.

5th year uni student here, havnt bought a textbook, (((required))) or not in three years. Still AB student

cause you fell for the greatest scam of all time by showing up for class disphit