Biology PhD AMA

Hey Cred Forums I did an AMA about a month ago and it was popular enough to get 3 full threads. I'm back, at-least for a few hours as my PCR runs.

Ask away.

Other urls found in this thread:

nature.com/news/irreproducible-biology-research-costs-put-at-28-billion-per-year-1.17711
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

There is place in America for Europeans PhD?

What are you doing pcr for?

No. There's barely a place for American PhDs. I graduated from Harvard and still had to do a Post-Doc at a second tier research university.

An experiment. Post-Doc candidate. I'm running PCR for my PI's experiment. She's doing CRISPR research.

Are you liberally indoctrinated?

So ugh if particle physics correct and all our atoms and shit consists out of quanta

How much influence do you think they have on us as human beings?

What is your take on the fundamental underlying nature of reality?

Please respond

whats your work on?

You should search up and learn about BOINC and download it and run it and set up an account with world community grid it will be very interesting with you. Another option is folding@home

What counts as liberal indoctrination?

that's a yes

nice to be able to ignore a thread so quickly

I knew before clicking the thread that PCR means Polymerase Chain Reaction.

My question is how long until gene therapy life extension/singularity? Give us a year (like 2040).

>How much influence do you think they have on us as human beings?
Not educated in quantum mechanics. From what I understand though quantum uncertainty doesn't have noticeable affects on the macro scale.

>What is your take on the fundamental underlying nature of reality?
I'm a hard determinist. Although I am also skeptical about it. I think we are full determined in our actions.

evolution is fake right?
and I'm not sure if this is biology, but is the earth flat?

Denying reality of race and human inequality.

biochem fag here. I hope you can help me out. I'm about to graduate with my BS in a few semesters. I wanted to go on to medicinal/pharmaceutical chemistry or just something in the pharmaceutical field, but after researching that many of those jobs are now over seas and becoming useless, I was considering switching to a chemistry major, which may also be a dead end. should i just stick with biochem and get a masters/phd in that, which also seems like a dead end if I want to do something pharmaceutical related? Thanks.

My PhD was related to genetics. Don't want to give specifics because it could identify me. I'm currently doing a post-doc with a PI who does CRISPR research. I plan on doing something similar when I start as an associate Professor next year.

I know about this. I have it set up on my home PC.

Not an argument. It's always nice to see what natural selection misses.

2100 at-least for gene therapy with significant life extension. I personally don't believe in the singularity.

Hey I'm interested. I plan to become an engineer (5 year). I just want to know what my chances are to move over to USA when i graduate? Are they even there?

What do you think about Kary Mullis?

how do you explain and reconcile the very first cell with the third tenet of cell theory? amino acids from zapping primordial ooze is a far cry from actual proteins. phospholipids may spontaneously form a membrane when in water, but those two things are a far far ways off from dna replicating itself.

Are you that faggot who tried to argue global warming with me last time?

That wasn't me. You still haven't answered my question.

congrats on the associate professorship. Out of interest, what did you gain from your last AMA? I'm unsure why you would bother with another one considering how vehemently anti-science a lot of Cred Forums is

I think that there are racial differences. I also think most current studies we have right now are shit. Especially the IQ ones. Not because they might be wrong, but because their methodology and samples are shit.

Why poop?

Hm. So tell me about global warming OP.

>few hours
How many cycles? Annealing time and such?
It seems crazy long

Transhumanist faggots are always ranting about CRISPR now. Will it really change everything and make us all live forever disease free with 20" cocks as chefs pulling $200,000 at Wendies?

So you're saying IQ tests are racist, basically?

Chem is one of the worst majors in science in terms of job prospects. Stick with Biochem. Look for internships. You will most likely have to do a masters/Phd. Only do funded PhD.

probably

I want to major in Biology. Can you give me some tips and tricks?

is race real?

Probably low. Engineering is going the way of most Science fields. It's becoming over-saturated. Most Engineering graduates today either go to grad school or are unemployed.

How is babby formed?
How is babby formed?
Hiw girl get pregnant?

Why do you ask?

>>I'm a hard determinist. Although I am also skeptical about it. I think we are full determined in our actions.

please elaborate

You ready to get fucked once you leave academia, or do you plan on staying forever?

Thoughts on Ray Peat?

What significance does epi-genetics play in the forming of one's adult personality and disease susceptibility (or resistance)? Is it a total meme?

The first genetic molecules where probably very simple self-replicating molecules. It probably took hundreds of millions of years for anything with the complexity of DNA to emerge.

Really? Here in Sweden (I assume it's a similar situation in US) 97% of newly graduates get employed within 2 years

how's the non academic job market, especially for foreigners?

I'm bored and I currently have some downtime without anything else to do. It's also nice to find some occasional nuggets.

I've never heard of a post-doc candidate. You're either a doctoral candidate (meaning you don't have a PhD yet because you haven't defended) or you're a post-doc who has a PhD and is just doing research.

A postdoctoral candidate would be someone applying for a job as a post-doc but is currently unemployed. Is that what you're saying?

It's real and it's man-made.

5 cycles per sample, but i'm running tons of different samples.

CRISPR will be groundbreaking, but it's going to be nowhere near as quick as people think. In 10-20 years we will probably see CRISPR being applied as a form of gene therapy. 30-40 years and we will see commercial application of it.

>30-40 years and we will see commercial application of it.

name potential commercial uses

also elaborate on determinism

No. Culturally fair IQ tests are pretty unbiased. What I mean is that a lot of the data about average national IQ, with the exception of western countries,japan, and a few others, are shit. They usually have really small sample sizes. The tests usually don't control for disease or income. That's why I think we need more modern testing.

There was a researcher a few years back who redid the Ashkenazi IQ studies and found the older studies overestimated the IQ. Previous estimates were that Jews had an IQ of 115. The recent study shows that it is more around 104-107

Don't.

In all seriousness though know what you are getting into. If you want to go into Biology as a field go to the best school possible. Avoid debt. Get as much research experience as possible. Go to a top tier Ph.D program.

Yes, but the differences aren't as great as Cred Forums likes to claim. They do exist though.

I'm a fourth year genetics PhD.

Do you have an academic job lined up? Is it in the middle of nowhere?

How many years as a postdoc?

I think that there is no free will. The moment the big bang occurred everything that will happen was determined. Everything in the universe follows laws and rules. We are the same. The reason, I believe, that it appears we aren't governed by them is just because we are to complex to understand our-selves.

I am skeptical though because there might be something non-physical(spirit/soul) that might allow for free-will. There is no evidence for this though.

>once I leave
Why would I leave?

Who?

Because it's shit there. I don't know how you stand it.

also advice for a postdoc

I do structural variation work and am thinking about doing a post doc in hopefully one of two labs.

Any tips in how to arrange this?

Also I was thinking possibly forgoing my passion projects and maybe do a structural variation linkage or GWAS for a disease no one has associated CNV with... might land me a CNS pub but idk. What do you think?

Epigenetics is definitely a thing. It's not that well understood yet. It's an extremely new field. Epi-genetics does have affects. We used to think those affects weren't inheritable, but current research shows they can be for multiple generation.

Always be skeptical of such figures. A lot of those figures don't distinguish between employment in the field vs employment in general. For example some schools will claim 95% of its engineering graduates are employed, but only 50% of those are actually in engineering.

Thanks man!

Shit. It's all shit. There are PhD competing for research tech positions. these are positions that you can train a high school graduate to do.

Are you a foreigner that doesn't know the difference between effect and affect?

yeah he's right about getting into a toptier program. I'm paid 33k to be a student :)

If your GPA is not too good, work as a tech in a lab for a year or two to build up some experience and a pub or two.

I wonder why they can't create and organize accurate IQ tests...

Really makes you think.

Well yah everyone know engineers, especially those with masters, quite rarely work in their specific field. But you said a large number of engineers are unemployed which seems really weird to me

Sorry typo. I meant I currently am a Post Doc.

Are you a Shillary supporter?

By commercial I meant clinical not industrial. There is the current idea of using CRISPR with gene Drive to wipe out malaria.

I currently have been accepted to a tenure track position at a decent school on the East coast. I spent 1 year as a post-doc. Keep in mind though I was a graduate of Harvard.

What do you mean?

Any crazy females?

but why do you believe this?

quantum physics? you just said it had no influence on the macro level

whats your biological reasoning for this

Do you have any first author CNS pubs?

Congrats on scoring the position. You must since you only spent 1 year as a postdoc.

I'm currently trying to write my first paper. Any advice. I have the figures ready and I need to type it up. My PI is a shitty mentor...

>Any tips in how to arrange this?
Post-doc is sort of a spray and pray. Just reach out to PI's and Professors and hope one accepts you.

>Also I was thinking possibly forgoing my passion projects and maybe do a structural variation linkage or GWAS for a disease no one has associated CNV with... might land me a CNS pub but idk
Sounds good. Get established in the field and then do passion projects. Part of that is getting decent pubs.

IQ aside, what do you think about behavioral traits being heritable? I think that is a more compelling, and more important, argument within race realism (or whatever you want to call it.)

Personally, I've always felt that was the biggest problem within black communities. They live and reproduce, even in white societies, according to their genetically driven behavioral tendencies. Then it is reinforced by people in the black community that are most likely to reproduce with the most frequency are those displaying criminal traits compounded by poverty (which is driven by low IQ.)

>sorry if that was rambling I just took pain meds lol

All the bureaucratic bullshit that comes with academia, on top of all the politics. I guess if you really love the subject you can look past it, but I don't really love anything that much (career wise)

>assuming the truth of your hypothesis.
shit scientist

The researchers who do these experiments are also shit at setting it up. Most social and psych research in general has shit sample sizes and shit representative samples.

How many first author pubs do you have?

Do people consider co-first author papers too?

No. I'm not voting this election for a presidential candidate.

I know that feel.

Bioengineering major here. Worth it? Any pointers for during school and after graduating?

The field of evolutionary psychology is heavily politicized because muh feels. If mental illness is heritable then how are general behaviors not?

Yeah. Biology females tend to be on the extremes. They are either really nice wife material or crazy insane cum dumps.

>Biology PhD
literally why

>Post-Doc
literally why

>Post-Doc
literally why

>I'm a hard determinist.
Technobabble for "moron who won't accept responsibility for xer shitty choices"

>tenure track position at a decent school
oh boy, living the dream

>whats your biological reasoning for this
Biology is just complex chemistry, which is itself complex physics. Physics govern biology. Physics is deterministic therefore so is biology. Where would free-will suddenly emerge from.

>quantum physics? you just said it had no influence on the macro level
Quantum physics even if it did influence the macro level would not allow for free will.

I'm no scientist. Just a man with a lot of common sense.

you sound like a butthurt masters running Westerns at Monsanto

I have a few first author pubs in second tier journals. I have 2 second author pubs in Nature.

The thing that bothers me is, denying it is sort of insane. Domestication happened when ancient farmers realized behavioral traits in animals were heritable. Is denying it a leftover from Christcucks thinking man is special and (((different))) from other animals?

>I'm currently trying to write my first paper. Any advice. I have the figures ready and I need to type it up. My PI is a shitty mentor...
Writing a paper is honestly the worst part of the process. I don't really have any advice other than not to over think it.

>Do people consider co-first author papers too?
yes
>How many first author pubs do you have?
5 in second tier journals. 2 second authors in Nature

But xe'll get to call xirself "Professor" after having no life for 7 years and fighting like a bitch for grants.

Not even bio. Bio is a notorious black hole, and the only reason anyone does it is they're scared of math.

No, it's because it would be admitting niggers and other undesirables are inferior which wouldn't help the cause of globalization.

It sucks.

So there is hope for me :)

I have a co-first in Cell Press (second tier)

I'm like 5th on some large consortium one in NatGen

Somewhere on a 1000Genomes Nature pub.

I think I can get my current paper as a Technical Report in NatGen. It's a machine learning method for genotyping CNV. Also I have de novo CNV stats for one of the largest control WGS cohort (2000 individuals)

I'm strictly computational, do you code? And what do you plan to research as a PI?

Get as much research and internship experience as possible before you graduate.

How far do you think the chinks are willing to go with gene editing experiments. Are superhuman chinks going to be a thing in the near future? Should we set aside ethics and beat them to the punch?

>Not even bio. Bio is a notorious black hole, and the only reason anyone does it is they're scared of math.
Or maybe I really like genetics ....

Evolutionary psych in my opinion is bullshit and not true science at this point.

My passion would be doing CNV work in ancient genomes.

David Reich is one of the PI's I might want to try do to a postdoc with. He has a job for a computational postdoc open now , but I won't graduate until 1-2 years

Do you know were I can buy any nice fedoras?

>Or maybe I really like genetics ....
Or maybe you convinced yourself you really like genetics because you want to be called "professor" but you're scared of math...

>Not even bio. Bio is a notorious black hole, and the only reason anyone does it is they're scared of math.
autiste detected.

The bureaucratic bullshit is annoying, but most of the sjw shit is overhyped.

*ba dum tiss
What's the reputation of working at Monsanto anyways? Super shitty not that bad?

Tell me about cancer. Is it true they have found a cure but no ones wants to make it public?

I wanted to do a study on the heritability of domestic violence through interviews or perhaps questionnaires on prisoners but I was afraid it wouldn't get funded because it might be perceived to have racist undertones.

Dubs of truth.

You one day may discover something that could greatly benefit the world but be censored and ostracized like others who studied racial IQ differences.

Good luck. You'll probably find a position with that kind of work.

>I'm strictly computational, do you code? And what do you plan to research as a PI?
I plan on doing either something CRISPR related or pursuing something related to epigenetic inheritance.

I'm a computational biologist working with machine learning. I'm not afraid of math. Population genetics is full of mathematical models that are scary at first.

Sure I'm not integrating multidimensional things but whatever. I seriously love genetics since when I was 15 working in a lab.

Also I would rather work for a start up and get options. OP is right about biology girls beting either wife material or sluts. I found my wifey and need to support kids one day

They don't really have the tech to do it on a mass scale yet. If they do it first they will probably discover all the errors and fuck ups for us.

It's Westerns that suck. I attempted one in undergrad and it sucked

>Also I would rather work for a start up and get options.
Alright then, I apologize.

Awesome are you working in mice? That will be a really cool paper. Good luck to you postdoc user.

Yes.

>Or maybe you convinced yourself you really like genetics because you want to be called "professor" but you're scared of math...
Why is math so superior. Most mathematics departments don't do anything practical. It's all high level shit that has almost no practical application. Sure it's difficult, but that doesn't make it better.

Physics major here, not really a question, but I may be able to elaborate on what youre saying.
In statistical thermodynamics implies that everything we do is simply a way for the universe to increase in entropy. The second law of thermodynamics is simply that entropy can never decrease, do our "free will" may be just a mechanism that natural selection stumbled upon that helps to increase entropy
Anyway good shit man, keep it up

It's cool are you an engineer or something? A Physics PhD (those are the saddest. Suicide watch needed)

I am Physics major now, but I was thinking of getting into genetics/biophysics area?

Any thoughts or tips on how to get into this stuff and/or skills to have?

No. If someone found it, it would have went public. There also wouldn't be any one cure for all cancers. IT's too complex for that.

check out my AUCs totally not overfitting

I'm currently working on yeast. I plan on working with mice when I start my own lab next year.

Ignore spelling errors, phonefag here

This. People are so ignorant. Like when Mike Huckabee wanted a war on (the) Cancer.

Complex disorders are complex.

What do you think about the Cancer Stem Cell theory. A lot of PIs here work on that

Why don't you apply to medical school?

Haploid genetics is the best.

>do our "free will" may be just a mechanism that natural selection stumbled upon that helps to increase entropy
Our actions without free-will would still increase entropy. Why would we need to appeal to something else to do so.

Free-will is one of those weird questions that has legs in science and philosophy. The only way to answer it is by appealing to both fields.

Because this is an AMA you fucking piece of shit.

Physics majors have much better prospects than bio majors. I don't know much about biophysics so I can't really help. Sorry.

both my parents are MDs and their lives suck.

I doubt I'll make as much as my dad (he's a heart surgeon) but I really love science.

My dad wanted to be a physicist but he's an immigrant and realized an MD would be easier than a PhD to enter the US

I know a Biophysics PhD student in CalTech and he coded a shit-load. Learn to code and work for a lab that does biophysics.

You'll learn what research is like and if you choose to continue with it, having research experience will get you into a good grad program.

Find professors at your school that do interesting research and see if you can work for them for credit/pay

It's interesting. Intuitively I think it makes sense, but it's not my field so I don't know much about it.

Fair enough m8. God bless

Yeah, I'm intending to finish my physics for undergrad, but I think I want to get into the medical/biological side for physics because that is where it seems like the big discoveries of this century will be made, just like how 20th century was mainly physics

It doesn't interest me. I considered it just so I could do my own human research, but I'm not interested in human research.

Yeah it's kind of cool. Aside from CRISPR what do you think is really amazing in biology right now?

(CRISPR is amazing tho, my lab CRISPRed in a mutation we found in an autisitc kid into a mouse. Mouse is fucked up yo)

Somebody missed tea-time.

Protein research has taken off recently. epigenetics as well.

Bioscience PhD is the fucking worst mistake of my life. I should have just majored in engineering or finance.

Thank God I'll be done within the year and won't ever have to touch a pipette again.

Sorry I can't help much. If you are interested look into possible research as an undergrad to prepare for grad school.

You mean with Mass Spec?
Should have learned to program

Yeah lab work was a bitch. I loved the fact that as a PhD and post-doc that I was able to pass of most of the grunt work to undergrads and masters students.

I meant just protein research in general. Protein folding, roles of proteins in genetics, etc.

It's okay, thanks. I am probably going to begin contacting some of them professors soon anyways. My uni has really good faculty with many working at and having affiliations with the Howard Hughes Medical Institute.

Do you have any tips on contacting them and advertising them? Don't want to come off as a sperg

advertising myself/making me look someone worth picking up*

>Should have learned to program
You're right. I'd rather do than cell culture.

It has absolutely destroyed my soul and I've been on pubs in Nature, Nature Biotech, Cancer Cell, and some lower tier stuff.

It's literally the worst

What's your thesis on user?

Sounds like you are in a good position to find a job (compared to other wet lab folks I know)

So how likely am I to get into a grad school program for biochemistry?
>Overall GPA 2.8
>if all goes to plan 2 years of lab work
>Major GPA of 3.4
>Graduating from higher tier UC school

What kind of programming is recommended?

Send an email to the professor or the secretary/lab manager. Sometimes you'll have to send a couple to get a response.

If that doesn't work just show up. In my experience professors (that teach) are happy to meet students that are generally interested in research.

You can hand over a small CV with some experience (like if you know python) and your GPA if you want.

You email should sound like

>I'm very interested in the work your lab is doing. Do you have a position for an undergraduate researcher? I found the work in XXX publication interesting and was wondering if there is more the the story.

Or whatever, just sound like you're interested and actually try to read a recent paper or two.

I don't want to be too specific, but it has to do with direct cell reprogramming (bypassing the iPS stage) along with gene correction of a genetic disorder.

I'm like 99.9% sure I'm getting out of research science and going to be doing something like patent agency. I just cannot do lab work anymore.

You'll almost certainly be able to get in to some school and they all pretty much are paid for.

Might help immensely if you take the biochemistry GRE and score well.

In biology most people are using python

Python is great because it's readable among users. Also the ipython notebooks are great for figure making.

For heavy lifting tools Java and C/C++ are used a lot (GATK, Samtools, Bedtools). However these people are usually CS nerds that went into biology.

R is also quite popular since the bioconductor suite of libraries is great for biologists. For example nearly every microarray normalization and differential package out there is in R.

Learn:

>Python
>R
>bash/UNIX commands

If you want some room
>Perl for Python however Perl is dying in America (although EMBL likes it)

For serious programmers
>Java
>C/C++

Sounds like you have a solid thesis.

Which genetic disorder? I work with the genetics psychiatric disorders (ASD and schizophrenia)

I like genetic disorders :)

Post-doc in my lab left to be a patent lawyer. He's happy now.

Good luck user!

It's not a matter of if but where. If you want a tenure track position you really need to go to a top 20, at the very least top 40, bio grad program. Your GPA is a little low, but with good recommendation letters from tenured staff and a good GRE score you should get in.

HOW WORRIED SHOULD I BE THAT MY PI COULD NOT RENEW THE RO1????

>lab is a sinking ship
>staff members leaving
>no grant money coming in
>NIH didn't even comment on the last submission
>fuckmyshitupfam.jpg
>post-doc I'm closest to is leaving
>my grant runs out in one year
>the metal of the gun tastes so sweet

good night anons

Interesting, thanks for the advice. Took a screenshot to refer back too. I'm still at the community college level so I've got a long way to go. Guess I'll start learning Python now so I can already be proficient in it later on.

Leukodystrophies. The lab is shifting focus. We have some early onset schiz iPS lines that we haven't done much with, and are working on MS too.

Also high throughput drug screening with our cell differentiation platform.

I'm actually aiming for patent law now. I take the LSAT next weekend. Trying to write a paper and study for that has been hell. I'll probably end up taking it again in December

My GF got fucked in 2008 when she graduated because her college fund was basically gone.

She did a year or two in a community college. Transferred to Berkeley and is now in a top tier PhD program.

You can do it too. There is a demand for computational positions in biology but lets hope when you finish it will still be there

Neat stuff. Good luck on the LSAT.

What do you think about brain organoids? Would it be a good model for your disease?

I actually moved to Berkeley and go to Berkeley City College. Wanted to go to the UC afterward, but now I'm thinking of looking elsewhere. I'm tired of living in California.

California is having a big biotech boom. Although Boston and Seattle are having similar booms too.

If you do a PhD in one of those places, it might be easier for you to transition into an industry job if you want to do that.

I know a lot of programmers in biology that graduate and start working for a biotech making 90k a year. Personally I want to do a postdoc so I can score a more managerial position.

I want plebs to work for me

We've actually dabbled in brain organoids

They're pretty cool and make pretty pictures when you stain them, but I'm not sure how applicable they would be to modeling what I work on

how much of it is man-made?

also:
everytime I see "genetic difference" argument thrown around based on some researches, what do they mean with this?
Is it more about how many of our genes share same functionality in other beings or quite literally they are same by their structure?

why did u choose biology and not physics. physics is win

Pretty worried desu.

Maryland is also really good. Bethesda/Rockville near DC have tons of Biotech opportunities. Plus it's next to the NIH

My PI is crazy. I think he has Bipolar Disorder. Has serious manic episodes.

He was sequenced with his parents as a control family in our study. We found a 1.3Mb duplication in him and his dad that encompasses a gene implicated in autism (deleted in autism tho)

We always joke about that variant even to his face. His wife (who is also a PI) laughs at this too.

you should graduate ASAP. Get out now!

Do you like listening to music?
Have you ever visited Mount Rushmore?
Have you a girlfriend?

have you ever done LSD? the creator of PCR was on it when he thought of PCR

I was good at Physics, but I didn't like it.

I need another pub but yeah hopefully will leave with my gf (she's a year ahead of me)

That's true. Also right next to the big AWS data center too

Yeah. As an undergrad I had to deal with a PI lik this. You just have to struggle through it.

Yes
No
Not really. Just a FWB

I know, but I've lived here my whole life and want to get away from here and places like it. The thing is, I was a fuck up early in life and am now just finally getting back on track in my early 30s. I don't care about being rich, just comfortable and working with something that interests me.

No, but it's on my bucketlist.

Yeah that's what I realized. I have to do all the work and have him approve. It's hard since I never wrote a paper before. But this is how it goes.

Other PIs are actual mentors

So the concept that I might choose to do A instead of B is a self-delusion? That's a seriously frightening possibility to contemplate. Insane biological robots?

I feel you bro. I was a fuck up too. Expelled from one uni and arrested once. But I made it too. Good luck!

Are you happy for your life?
Do you have any siblings who are scientists as you are? If not, what do they do? Do they envy you?

What does olo in biology stand for?

Yes exactly. Think about it. Take any decision you have made. Imagine everything leading up to it being the same. Could you have chosen otherwise? No, because of how the past facts affected you.

Damn, that's fucked. Glad you made it, gives me hope too. I just hope I can graduate and find a decent job in a nice area before I'm 40.

Have any of you guys tried modafinil while working/writing?

I quite enjoy it

>Are you happy for your life?
Sort of. I suffer from depression, so it depends.

>Do you have any siblings who are scientists as you are? If not, what do they do? Do they envy you?
Lone child.

bio:life
ology: study of

You'll be fine with your maturity. I feel like I entered my PhD too young sometimes.

i'm a late 20s faggot stuck in a shitty lab tech position for the state. what can i do to improve my career?

how many scientific papers do you read a week?

Why are you on Cred Forums instead of /sci/?

Get out. Get a PhD if possible. Pursue another field.

what's your highest degree?

don't want to do the whole learn2program meme but that is an option

1-2. I skim like 5-10 though.

i'm too dumb to get a phd

like we need more bio phds

How did you put yourself through school? I'm working a shitty part time job just to barely afford to live. Don't want to take on any loans until I transfer out of community college.

My original thread was to correct misconceptians Cred Forums has on biology. Cred Forums tends to be shit at it.

are you/have you ever been in a race with another lab/researcher to produce specific results?

i only have a bachelors.

PhD doesn't matter about intelligence. It's more about willingness to commit time and effort. Raw intelligence really is only super important for Math, Physics, and engineering.

Nope.

Why? I'm from Canada -- currently doing a PhD in chemistry -- but I know for a fact in my province a lab tech can get a very, very decent salary if they choose the right field. For anyone who likes science but isn't academic oriented, it's perfect.

Most people here with misconceptions don't want to be corrected, I think. At least there are people here that want to improve their lives. I've thought the thread has been interesting.

I got a good scholarship + my parents are MDs so I had money in a college fund (thank god)

Also I went to a state school (good for engineering. bio meh) so tuition + rent was like 18k?

I had 8K in loans when I graduated and paid them off now to avoid interest charges

Depends. I used to believe PhDs were glorified lab technicians from seeing Chinks and Poos work in the lab, but I've been seriously challenged by mine since I'm basically left to my own devices when it comes to what concrete steps to take.

Is it normal that I know more than my teacher in my particular field? Not that he isn't bright or anything, I think he just inherited this project due to a bureaucratic mess.

what is your opinion on irreproducible biology research?

nature.com/news/irreproducible-biology-research-costs-put-at-28-billion-per-year-1.17711

Consider a masters? Try a new field and if you do it in a hotspot for industry it might be easy for you to transition into a new position.

I know some masters that work for X sequencing giant company because they are HQed where I live. They probably pippette a lot tho...

90% of papers published today lol

Wet lab work is spooky. Get OP to comment but I know people that cannot do a certain experiment properly but when a postdoc does it using all the same reagents it works perfectly.

She mastered out.

A good example is the STAP stem cells which nearly everyone was skeptical when it was published. No one could reproduce the results tho so it was retracted and that poor Japanese lady is fucked forever

Don't get me wrong you have to be smarter than average, but in most cases you don't have to be a sevant. An IQ of 110-115 with a decent work ethic will get you the PhD

>They probably pippette a lot tho...

desu that's all i really want to do. because i have a state job, and only a bachelors, my base pay is pretty low and my goal is ultimately to just get more money.

It's normal for a PhD student to know more about their field than their professor after a couple of years, at least if that professor covers a somewhat broad range of topics in his chair.

I agree. The problem is that the way tenure is set up repeating experiments is pointless. It doesn't get you notoriety. Research almost always has to be original. Because of this ,repetition,one of the foundations of scientific research doesn't occur.

Damn, that's nice. I bet all the gender studies majors with like 50k in debt give you a good laugh. I've got nothing so hopefully I can get some decent scholarships plus whatever I can save by working.

My PI doesn't understand a lot of the data I work with. It's really annoying explaining it to him over and over and over

True. Most undergraduates know more info than most professors in sub-fields the professor doesn't specialize in.

How do research tiers work, for example would it be more desirable to be a faculty member at Ohio state, or Duke?

I'm an undergrad at another big ten school and just curious because a lot of our faculty have phds from mit, stanford, Berkeley, etc.

>gender studies majors with like 50k in debt give you a good laugh
that plus I'm redpilling my gf quite successfully

What is the point of this thread? Sliding?

Nigga it's sometimes good to talk to bio PhD brahs anonymously. I need to vent sometimes it's stressful

Well, when I was doing my masters, poo PhDs would regularly get chewed by our professor. Real nasty stuff. He seemed to have all the answers, even when you came in with new data, Then again, he was exceptionally smart so maybe there's that.

>My PI doesn't understand
He sounds dumb.
If your supervisor is dumb then you are probably dumber and will never progress

>for example would it be more desirable to be a faculty member at Ohio state, or Duke?
It can be a lot comfier to be faculty at a low reputation state university than a big name. Less fame, but also less stress and publishing pressure.

Good job bro. Sounds like you're doing everything right. Make the most of it.

Like Syrian refugees, Cred Forums is 90% doctors and engineers. We need to take a break from shitposting once in a while.

DONT REMINDME SENPAI

>justfuckmyshitup.jpg

seriously I'll be ok, he's not that dumb just really scattered. You goof a lot in your first years as a PhD, things are working out now. Just the lab is running out of cash which is not good.

Is it possible to sexually sterilize ashkneazi jews?

>How do research tiers work, for example would it be more desirable to be a faculty member at Ohio state, or Duke?
Research tiers are informal rather than formal. Being a faculty member at a better university means more pay, but working for a second tier institute means more freedom and less cut-throught competition.

>I'm an undergrad at another big ten school and just curious because a lot of our faculty have phds from mit, stanford, Berkeley, etc.
This is true of almost any department. Even 2nd and 3rd tier schools have PhD mostly from top 20 programs. Thats how few jobs there are.

My gf is one of the only things in my life that seems to be doing well.

Once I submit this manuscript and pass my quals life will be better

Yeah. I'd rather have other people do threads like these than hiloli and shit posting.

STAP was completely faked, not just unable to be reproduced.

They also found fishy stuff in her thesis work too

Sure. Same with Canadians and their AI girlfriends.

>Even 2nd and 3rd tier schools have PhD mostly from top 20 programs. Thats how few jobs there are.

Remind me of 日本. Literally everyone either comes from Tokyo U or Tokyo tech. Makes me wonder what they do with all the other PhDs.

So you refuse to answer the question?

It was too good to be true. Even as first year PhD students my class immediately knew it was probably fake

Most other PhD never get a job. Ask any PhD in any department on advice for getting a PhD and they will tell you top 20 or bust.

I just did.

Best of luck to you. I hope we all make it to where we want to be.

How could it be done on a massive scale?

>Makes me wonder what they do with all the other PhDs.
It's a sad life. Most end up on Cred Forums shitposting all day

same to you user.

[citation needed]

Would a Master's be better for finding work instead of a PhD?

Technology doesn't exist outside of massive dosages of radiation. Theoretically it is possible

I can't cite anecdotal evidence.

How much money and time would it require to develop the technology? Let's assume the operation works in perfect secrecy.

Depends. With a Masters you could only do private sector work.

No, unemployment doesn't exist in Nippon (banzai). My guess that they end up being pencil pushers in some chemical company.

Is there such a thing as an antigenic anti-body? An anti-body that triggers an immune response.

How on earth do prions cause other proteins to spontaneously mis-fold to be like them? Surely the existing protein is in it's own very deep potential energy minimum. How does the mis-folded protein cause it to unfold and re-arrange itself any more-so than any other large molecule would cause it to.

Why are thyroid hormones the only molecules in the body to use Iodine?

How can a lineage memory B cells last our whole life? Wouldn't mutations eventually render a lineage useless to detecting it's antigen.

You do know genetically any technology that could be used to sterilize an ashkenazi could be used on anyone.

is it true in japan a PhD is like 7-10 years on average?

They probably do get sucked up in industry.

>Had Jap bio postdoc interview
>PhD in Japan (forgot where)
>Worked for some investment bank in Switzerland
>Interviewing for postDoc in US

That's one guy tho

I have a B.Sc in physics and astrophysics from a Russell Group uni in the UK and was competent enough to do data analysis for the LHC in my final year.

My buddy whom I went through the entire course with, did an M.Sc. and then PhD. Went the full physics hog,

Currently, I earn more than him by dint of knowing how to program and being good at poker.

What I'm trying to say is that a PhD should be a 'fire in the belly' thing; do it because you want to do it, because you love the science, not because you think it's going to add zeroes to your salary.

But if it targets their specific gene cluster, how could it be used on non ashkenazi? Either way, do you have any estimates on the potential cost of such technology being developed?

>Is there such a thing as an antigenic anti-body? An anti-body that triggers an immune response.
Not sure what you mean by this. Aren't all anti-bodies an immune response. either way it's not my field of specialty so I know very little.

>How on earth do prions cause other proteins to spontaneously mis-fold to be like them? Surely the existing protein is in it's own very deep potential energy minimum. How does the mis-folded protein cause it to unfold and re-arrange itself any more-so than any other large molecule would cause it to.

Very little is known about how proteins fold and adopt their tertiary structure let alone how misfolding comes about.

Just like everything else boomers are destroying everything by refusing to die or retire and free up faculty positions

>at-least

Don't listen to this guy, bio is one of the most over-saturated markets around and it's only about to get worse.

If you want some real prospects switch to chem and do a masters in some specialized field: Geophysics, Operations, Business Administration, etc. It'll give you more felxibility but you gotta do your homework and talk with professors, people already in industry etc.

also most important advice: YOU WILL NEVER BE A PROFESSOR.

Not in my experience. But they are systematically held back with years of post-doc. It kind of works like a guild over there. My teacher had numerous enemies in the department for getting a full-time teacher at the tender age of 45. Usually they ascend to a teaching position in their late fifties early sixties.

>Is there such a thing as an antigenic anti-body? An anti-body that triggers an immune response.

That is the definition of an antibody no?

> Antibody binds to antigen. Immune Cells recognize the end of the antibody (not binding to antigen)

>How on earth do prions cause other proteins to spontaneously mis-fold to be like them? Surely the existing protein is in it's own very deep potential energy minimum. How does the mis-folded protein cause it to unfold and re-arrange itself any more-so than any other large molecule would cause it to.

It would be because the prion fold has a lower energy state. (no?) Maybe there's other co-factors not yet known too.

>How can a lineage memory B cells last our whole life? Wouldn't mutations eventually render a lineage useless to detecting it's antigen.

The memory cells are dormant until they are activated by the APCs (I think immunology was a long time ago)

cont.
>Why are thyroid hormones the only molecules in the body to use Iodine?
Don't know

>How can a lineage memory B cells last our whole life? Wouldn't mutations eventually render a lineage useless to detecting it's antigen.
Not sure, but cells have repair mechanisms to get rid of mutations.

>. Aren't all anti-bodies an immune response
yeah that's the definition of an antibody.

That's what you get for wasting your time in Biology. Which, for you non-STEM Cred Forumsros out there is the aspy shit tier of scientific understanding. I'm a middle of the road Physical Chemist PhD student and have several offers for post doc. Including Johns Hopkins and Yale.

>>tl;dr- Physics > everything else. Most organic chemists don't even compare. If they have a confirmed reaction mechanism it's because a physical chemists told them what happened.

That said, Id like to know your opinion on the effects of guanidinium chloride and protein denaturization in the inhibition of hsp 104 transport protein in yeast cells. Would it be a viable option for an Alzheimers's medication if delivered in low enough concentrations not to interfere with other neurological functions. I'm currently working on preliminary calculations because the grant money is there but I'm concerned about unwanted biochemical interactions.

Exactly.

So a PhD would open up more work opportunities? I'm worried about being considered overqualified.

What's a good AP Bio level / University bio level science experiment?

Well?

Will people posting here live to see the rise of genetically edited superchinks?

Life isn't a sci-fi movie. Ashkenazim are similar enough to other ethnic groups where any gene cluster we target would end up targeting others as well.

what languages do you use?

Is learning C++ worth it?

Making beer.

Clone a plasmid in E.coli

This isn't entirely the fault of boomers. Alot of universities aren't replacing the tenure positions of retired faculty. They are just getting rid of them.

What is it with autistes and grammar.

Chem is saturated as fuck retard. I wasn't saying Bio is better. I was saying that switching really isn't going to help.

How do peoplw approach the topic of "gender." Working off of memory, sexual species reproduce from two sexes, so there can only be two sexes. If you produce ovum, you are female, likewise if you produce sperm you are male. In what other method can offspring be created without sperm and ovum? There are only two sexes. Gender is how people express themselves based on their sex, which leads to shit such as non-binary, bigender, agender, cis; seriously? Is gender just a meme? Are we really just sexes? Also, might appreciate you more.

Checked.
I know that's what was throwing me off. I thought it might have been a typo.

Yes but it matters what's your end game.

If you want to be a patent lawyer you should get a PhD.
If you want to be a consultant for some company you should get a PhD.
If you want to be an academic you need a PhD.

If you want to do private sector work 9-5 with benefits and such, a masters is more than fine. You maybe won't get as much upward mobility with just a masters tho.

Physics Cred Forumsro here. C++ is always useful and should be learned regardless. It will teach you how to think about the code you're trying to create and is often the base level for higher level languages that involve scripting. That said, Python is really useful as is MATLAB. Just depends on what you need it for.

sci hates biology

Gender for me is genetics.

XX or XY

Theres other flavors like

XX(SRY)

XXX

Xo

XXY

etc.

But generally speaking you have either male or female and rarely something inbetween (hermies) but genitals are non-functioning at that point

I see. But what about races which are more dissimilar from caucasians like sub saharans?

If the parasite can't be sterilized reliably, why not sterilize its pets?

I can see you're reluctant, possibly because of exposure to the parasite in your personal life, but believe me, ending their banker class is the only way science will advance. Otherwise they will block off certain research to feed their influence.

It's in your interest to work against theirs.

do you work everyday? i noticed that today is Saturday and you are doing a pcr. also how many hours do you work each day and do you normally have downtime like this or is it only cause its saturday and youre just doing a pcr.

>le my science field is better than your science field
Great job on the post-doc but most people get them. Even shit-tier PhD program grads get them. Getting a tenure track spot is what's difficult. Which I currently have.

>tl;dr- Physics > everything else. Most organic chemists don't even compare. If they have a confirmed reaction mechanism it's because a physical chemists told them what happened.
K.

>That said, Id like to know your opinion on the effects of guanidinium chloride and protein denaturization in the inhibition of hsp 104 transport protein in yeast cells. Would it be a viable option for an Alzheimers's medication if delivered in low enough concentrations not to interfere with other neurological functions. I'm currently working on preliminary calculations because the grant money is there but I'm concerned about unwanted biochemical interactions.
No idea. This is way to specific a question for a field I don't specialize in.

Well what?

Yeah I'm pretty good with python for scripting and data analysis.

I want to learn C++ for a lot of heavy lifting. Is C++ good for parsing large text files (I'm talking about 250GB here for just 1 out of 1000s of files)

I feel computation in genetics is limited by I/O more than computation for many processes

Nah. They'll probably mess up real bad.

>sci hates biology
They do? I remember discussing misconceptions about the Theory of Evolution there, and some people knew what they were talking about. Are you telling me this off of assumption or personal experience. You have a Ph.D, they would be worshiping you. Or either envious and then proceed to shit over you because of the subject you chose.

I pretty much work everyday and a 100+ hour work week

>just end it senpai

but I work on the computer so there's no reason for me to stop an experiment if I can SSH at home.

Yes. Almost everywhere has a use for C++. The mains are that and Python, just for ease of use. These days, a lot of data analysis is done in R but Python and C++ are the workhorses. Even Matlab will stand you in good stead in the workplace.

You need to understand, most grads will come out of uni having done one of these languages for a few weeks at most to complete a project but won't be 'fluent'; if you can get yourself to a competent level you're already eminently more employable than them.

Everytime I vist /sci/ it's

>biology
>science

pick one

Rarely people actually talk to me. I mostly like to talk to other grad students and compare stipends

>In what other method can offspring be created without sperm and ovum?
asexual reproduction which uses only ovum

>here are only two sexes. Gender is how people express themselves based on their sex, which leads to shit such as non-binary, bigender, agender, cis; seriously? Is gender just a meme? Are we really just sexes?
Sex is the biological term. There is no bi in this case. Sex is whatever your chromosomes say. Gender is a combination of biology and social norms.

>If they have a confirmed reaction mechanism it's because a physical chemists told them what happened.

to be fair those transition state calculations etc are pure magic - be honest

Sub saharans are still close enough genetically where it would be dangerous. Humans genetically are shit when it comes to diversity. We actually have a pretty low amount compared to other species.

yeah I've been coding in perl for about 6 years. Python for about 2. I know R and do matplotlib things.

I wrote a really fancy machine learning algo in python. The data files are too large for github tho.

It's funny to watch people struggle on the command line. My friends think I'm in the matrix sometimes
>you don't even use the mouse.... wahhhh
plebz

What's your favorite C++ books?

I was reading the creators a tour of C++. Was good

I teach a few classes. I do mostly research which is when I want to come in and do work. I don't really have set hours outside of meeting and class. I usually put in like 40-60 hours a week.

Coursemate went back and did PhD cause he couldn't get work (depths of recession). Turns out having a desk and easy access to freshers has improved his outlook on life dramatically more than being a wageslave.

Fast forward a few years and the work opportunities are there but very limited in scope. Struggling to get anything outside his niche field (carbon-capture)

/sci/ is shit. It's basically idiot nerdy undergrads arguing over the top of one another.

>Bio is a notorious black hole
It's true tho, the market is 200% oversaturated

Hey what are your political beliefs? What are the political beliefs of biology majors in general?

I mean you must be redpilled on racial inequality and human biodiversity.

Every Stem field is over-saturated. Every single one. Especially if it's an academic field you are pursuing.

>but but muh races

I hate how Cred Forums refuses to understand how little we differ. Even the the structural variant space, human variation is extremely diverse.

Now the Melanesians being 6% Denisovan. That's kinda significant....

So what would you propose? How can we end the parasite in a subtle non violent way?

Fiscal liberal, socially somewhat conservative.

> What are the political beliefs of biology majors in general?
Varies. It depends more on where you are. They mostly, like other university students, tend to be liberal. They usually aren't sjw liberal though.

Exactly. 2 chimps in the same forest tend to have more genetic variation/diversity than an nord and a sub-Saharan.

Do you see elective gene therapy clinics becoming available?

I've been looking into gene doping and it's illegality regarding athletes, but can you see it becoming available for the general public?

I ask because there are specific genes that have no known negative health impacts, but offer a substantial benefit, such as the MSTN genes, and genes related to telomeres.

Should doping be made legal to eliminate the stigma and release the long term research done by these independant clinics?

It could be valuable data.

What parasite? Jews aren't the way they are because of genetics.

I'm an economics major.

I was going to go into neurobiology, but I figured gaining power by investing was a wiser course of action.

>Do you see elective gene therapy clinics becoming available?
yes

>I ask because there are specific genes that have no known negative health impacts, but offer a substantial benefit, such as the MSTN genes, and genes related to telomeres.
No negatives that we know off. We really don't know the long term downstream affects.

>Should doping be made legal to eliminate the stigma and release the long term research done by these independant clinics?
Don't know.

The bulk of my computational needs are molecular modeling. Bear in mind that it has its limitations and for extremely complicated structures such as mile longer protein chains you will need to use a super computer if you want to finish within this lifetime. That said, I use VI to ssh into gaussian and run my calculations through my servers. Usually at least 16 gigs of RAM and at least 8 processors per calculation to speed up the process. Calculations with high levels of accuracy require an MP2 basis set in M06-2X level of theory and will run for an eternity if you don't allocate enough computational power.

Cool. What's the point of this reply.

Do you really believe that?

Perhaps you should do an in depth analysis on the differences between ashkenazi genes and caucasian and what their gene clusters correlate with in terms of behavior.

How do benis get bigger

Most bio-people are bloo-pilled hard.

I don't identify with a certain political belief. But I will say I am way more redpilled than others. I like to hear other opinions and be skeptical (which is good for a scientist) that's why I come to Cred Forums. I wish more of my peers were skeptical of the news and politics

I know a lot about human genetics I was on a big consortium paper. Humans are genetically not that diverse. Race is more of a continuum with few extremes.

A real redpill is that since the out of africa migrations Europeans have more Mendelian disorders due to lower genetic diversity. I read a paper where two Brits were second cousins and produced a microcephalic mutant. They didn't know they were related. Two other cases with the same mutation and haplotype structure was found in Italy and the UK. This suggests there was one ancestor with the mutant allele over 600 years ago.

Just making conversation I suppose.

>Even the the structural variant space, human variation is extremely diverse
* is not as diverse as you think it would be

Cred Forums asked me before how long it would take for a new species to form between blacks and whites.

Probably a million years of isolation since humans and Neanderthals are like 100k years apart and could still breed.

Cred Forums hears a million years and thinks there is a chance. However a million years is a long time when you think about generations

The last question was more of an opinion regarding legality and the prevalence of long term data.

I think legalizing it would allow these clinics to come forward with data from years of underground human trials.

Could be valuable.

Sorry, didn't mean to be a dick. You response just didn't seem to have anything to do with the original comment.

VI master race here too user.

I like to hear I do some things right.

I use a cluster too. Have you crashed yours yet? I popped that cherry once

I think the problem with a lot of American bros is that you feel locked in by the system i.e. if you get a physics degree, you can only do 'physics' jobs.

In the UK, most companies accept grads from any degree discipline. However, an unofficial premium is given to those who have 'quantitative' skills i.e. 'can you count?' and so if you studied anything numerical, you're already ahead of most applicants. Look at it that way - most people are shit at maths and shit with computers - if you're good with either or both, you're ahead of the game. Some faggot at KPMG isn't going to knock you back for an audit job just because you don't' have a business degree if you sell it right

Great. Should I genocide all anglos because they have imperialistic tendencies. Should I do the same with Germans.

Watch porn.

>Perhaps you should do an in depth analysis on the differences between ashkenazi genes and caucasian and what their gene clusters correlate with in terms of behavior.

We do not have the knowledge to actually perform this test. All the behavior genes are disease related. But if you are thinking about the "aggressive" Dopamine receptor gene (for example) look at the odds ratio. I bet it's something like 1.2 so it's basically impossible to get a significant result

Would you ever work to find a way to bring down the numbers of sub saharans, ashkenazi jews, arabs, and hispanics?

Specifically ashkenazi jews. The effects of those people being in control of modern society are quite apparent. They're basically whites without wisdom and ethics. The results are masswar, chaos, corruption, and sexual hedonism.

Are the markets slow today merchant?

what if you could induce your penis cells to enter a growth state like in puberty. Then it could grow no?

>A real redpill is that since the out of africa migrations Europeans have more Mendelian disorders due to lower genetic diversity. I read a paper where two Brits were second cousins and produced a microcephalic mutant. They didn't know they were related. Two other cases with the same mutation and haplotype structure was found in Italy and the UK. This suggests there was one ancestor with the mutant allele over 600 years ago.

Biological research shows that almost all humans today are the result of about 3000 individuals about 100000 years ago. Give or take a thousand. Anthropologist also believe that 80% of all humans ever born are the result of second cousin copulation or closer.

True. An undergrad degree really limits you to certain jobs.

Not jewish. Although I am quarter arab.

You should observe the net effect of anglo imperialism. Was it positive or negative for humanity as a whole?

I'd say it was positive.

I see no progress in society living as perpetual debt slaves though. Do you? The parasite's idea of an efficient society is a complacent slave populace paying them their cut, while they live in erudite mansions and behave like monsters.

Many of those ultra wealthy psychopath semites enjoy sadistic recreational activities, including (recent house of lords incidentshows) child rape and murder.

Is that the type of creature you want in control of human civilization? Do you really think we have a future with these "people" being our leaders?

>Would you ever work to find a way to bring down the numbers of sub saharans, ashkenazi jews, arabs, and hispanics?
I am part Arab user.

And no. I don't understand why Cred Forums is racist. Since I am a Westerner and have ties to other culture I know it's a cultural difference. however cousin marriage doesn't help.

> They're basically whites without wisdom and ethics. The results are masswar, chaos, corruption, and sexual hedonism.

If they are such in control of society then are they truly not wise? Are they not the master race?

>Would you ever work to find a way to bring down the numbers of sub saharans, ashkenazi jews, arabs, and hispanics?
What's the point of this? Once they develop their numbers will stabilize and drop.

>Specifically ashkenazi jews. The effects of those people being in control of modern society are quite apparent. They're basically whites without wisdom and ethics. The results are masswar, chaos, corruption, and sexual hedonism.
>implying eternal anglos and erudite aryans haven't done the same.

wallah. where from. My parents are Syrian

Sure, but we don't have the knowledge on how to do this. Although the biologist who figures it out will become one of the richest people ever.

>Biological research shows that almost all humans today are the result of about 3000 individuals about 100000 years ago. Give or take a thousand. Anthropologist also believe that 80% of all humans ever born are the result of second cousin copulation or closer.

Yeah that's really fascinating.