I've noticed that quite a few people on Cred Forums believe that anime, manga...

I've noticed that quite a few people on Cred Forums believe that anime, manga, and videogames are entirely for children and nothing else. Not saying it's everyone, but I have to ask these people: what do they think about such things as Berserk, JoJo (especially beyond part 6, E.G. Steel Ball Run), and Psycho-Pass? Just a quick example of three I've recently paid attention to.

Edgy degenerate trash for edgy degenerate teenagers.

Maybe you could explain what these things are to people who don't pay attention to anime, mange and video games?

I think they're pretty great. But I also like other anime so you're probably not talking to me anyway.

I can do that. I'll try to keep things succinct, however. Do mind that these series hold a lot more depth than I am about to outline, specifically Berserk and JoJo.

In short,

>Berserk is the story about Guts, a child soldier turned mercenary turned wandering swordsman. After his best friend and leader of his mercenary company betrayed his entire company as a sacrifice to ascend to a higher plane, raped his lover, and nearly killed him, Guts sets off on a journey for personal revenge. The manga carries themes of politics, theology (to a lesser degree), and surviving in a world that is wholly against you.

>JoJo tells the tale about the Joestar bloodline, and their conflict with supernatural forces. The part that most people refer to as 'mature' would be Steel Ball Run, where a paraplegic horse jockey and an italian executioner embark upon a seemingly privately-run horse race across the United States in the late 1800s. It turns out that it is a gambit run by the president of the United States in order to recover artifacts (the holy corpse parts, implied to be Christ's) so he can use their power to secure his future. It explores themes of morality, patriotism, and brotherhood

>Psycho-Pass is about a sealed off Japan 100 years in the future in which mind-reading tech (actually technology which can sense if people's minds are 'volatile') exists, allowing law enforcement to locate and even punish thought crimes. Its themes are the flaws of an especially invasive government, how demonizing thought crimes can lead to a near downfall of civilization, reliance on said invasive government, and the reason for the law existing.

I like other anime too, my dude.

Forgot to mention: Griffith, the antagonist in Berserk, is actually doing what he does for the pursuit of power. He is, in fact, seen to be a fairly just ruler and benevolent individual. When you're on his good side, at least. He's not full on chaotic evil, though.

I couldn't get into psycho-pass and I thought first few eps were cringy as fuck. Is it really worth it?

What made you think it's cringey? People have opinions, and you're entitled to yours, but if I could clear things up for you to enjoy the anime, I'd be more than happy to.

And yes, I believe it's worth it.

pic unrelated

Griffith ultimately is an ineffectual leader Pre-Eclipse because of his inability to understand himself, his principles, and even his rational for doing the things he does.

He has his moments of self-reflection when he and Casca meet in the bathing pool after his selling of his body to a paedophile baron (for war funds). In the scene, he talks about a recent casualty in the fighting that was simply a young boy wanting to be a great warrior... an analogy for a possible version for himself.

Griffith muses whether he should stop his conquest up the ladder due to the sheer number of bodies of allies and enemies he's left behind, and then rationalizes that, if he's come so far in his dream, if so many people have died fighting for his dream, then why should he stop?

However, everything post-Eclipse is Griffith watered down from the human he was to the demonic god he has become. Even power is no longer a reason for him to carry on, as he's a member of the very theology of the world. If he wished to, he could [force] the world to change on whim... which indeed he does after killing Ginishka.

A thoughtful insight, and one I agree with on several points. Some may argue, however, that Griffith Pre-Eclipse and his inability to understand his own motives, his 'why', 'what', 'when', and 'where', is simply a setup for his own resolve to shine through. Like you said - he thought to himself "I've come this far, killed this many, and lost this much; I refuse for it all to be for nothing."

Some may view it as him childishly trying to justify his inexcusable actions (this comes into play post-eclipse as well, with a nuanced confidence displayed), and some may view as his sacrifice being wholly for the greater good.

This whole exchange brings me to my next point - Berserk stands as proof (or so I'd imagine) that media besides traditional literature and forms of static, visual art (E.G. a painting or sculpture) is capable of provoking meaningful thought.

it's a medium
content determines quality

I used to watch anime a lot and I still try to watch it sometimes but I just can't

its fucking cartoons man. it's something you grow out of. we all remember cowboy bebop was fucking badass but if you tried to watch it when you're 26 it's not the same

and when I try to watch anime that my weeb friends reccommend to me I never get past 2 episodes and all I can think is "man this would be awesome if I was 14"

Anything older than 1980 is good

As said, different strokes - I personally believe something being animated is no different than something being written, painted, or filmed - sure, the demographics are typically different, but the reason for that isn't because the idea itself is inherently for children.

It's because children typically enjoy things which would not ordinarily be possible - animals talking, sponges cooking burgers, whatever the fuck Steven Universe is (I don't watch it, so I don't know), and the easiest way to convey that in a way a child can process is through animation.

When you look at things such as more adult-oriented anime, it's the same as if it were painted or written on a book, just put onto a moving visual medium. There are plenty of animated movies that I would put on the same level as great live action films.

I just finished Stardust Crusaders and I'm probably gonna start Diamond is Unbreakable soon. Joseph is probably my favorite character from Jojo so far, although I liked a lot of characters in the show. Haven't seen Berserk, but I've read a lot about it and think it explores some interesting themes. Don't know much about Psycho-Pass but it could be interesting, might check it out.

I started watching Monster not too long ago and I'm about halfway through it. Liking it a lot so far, you've probably seen it already but if you haven't you should check it out. It's pretty slow moving so it could turn some people away.

I think the reason most of Cred Forums hates anime is because of weeaboos.

The plot is OK but some parts are hard to get through. 6.5/10

Retard...
Asking people who know nothing about this kind of stuff is like asking a nigger how to be a good father

>I've noticed that quite a few people on Cred Forums believe that anime, manga, and videogames are entirely for children and nothing else
they're called redditors. Don't complain about it, it makes them easier to spot when they do it.

Don't forget about initial d. Red pills about women.

You're saying Berserk isn't childish?

>Hero has big ass sword for no reason
>Dressed in all black clothes, even magic armor is black
>Magic armor is powered by hate and anger
>Acts edgy all the time
>Special snowflake magical brand tattoo on neck
>Emotions tell him what to do

do you literally stop doing shit because you're "supposed to"? to "grow out of it"?

I swear, there's nothing funnier than /r9k/ pretending to be men.

more like
>Hero has big ass sword because he was taught as a child to fight with adult-sized swords, and grew accustomed to fighting with disproportionately large blades
>Dressed in all black clothes, even magic armor is black
His clothes are meant to conceal his big sword and keep him warm. What does color matter?
>acts edgy all the time
Guts has been pretty amiable at times though. Now, after the eclipse/in life or death situations, he's edgy as fuck - especially because he just saw his best friend rape his girlfriend in front of him out of spite, and all his friends are dead.
>special snowflake magical brand tattoo on neck
you literally don't know what 'special snowflake' means, do you?
>emotions tell him what to do
He's ANGRY, sure, and rightfully so, but his 'acting on emotion' only goes so far. His line "You can't eat glory." shows that he's more prone to acting practical rather than fantastical and hellbent on acting upon emotions.

Even if he did act upon his emotions, that does not make the show childish - Guts may be impulsive, and occasionally make decisions that are reminiscent of a child's, but that does not equate to the show as a whole being babby.

>Special snowflake magical brand tattoo on neck
First of all, the entire band of hawk got the brand on their necks.

Secondly, if he wasn't a special snowflake in his universe, why would you write a manga about him?

Anime and manga are inherently degenerate and childlish, and video games mostly too. There are only a few exceptions, which are some strategy games.

Don't try to reason with this faggot. It's obvious xe has never read berserk.

>berserk
>not a manga for childish edgelords

Only anime I watched

It's like there's only one manga exists in the world. Try something different.

Wait a minute.