Pols opinion on Sgt Blackburn?

Pols opinion on Sgt Blackburn?

Summary

> on patrol in Afghanistan
> two goat farmers shot at them
> called an apache and one farmer was found injured
> Blackman broke Geneva and decided to shoot him in the chest with a 9mm while quoteing Shakespeare
> mfw jailed for life
>mfw shorterned to 10 years

Other urls found in this thread:

telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/defence/10432095/Recording-of-Royal-Marines-accused-of-murdering-Taliban-prisoner-released.html
youtube.com/watch?v=omnskeu-puE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Based Marine who got thrown under the bus for doing his job. Probably saved that goat fucker a few minutes of suffering.

This. That's like in the US if you shoot a deer on the side of the road to end it's pain you can be cited by a game warden. it's a world of technicalities.

10/10 for educating the savage natives about our glorious British literary tradition

He shouldn't have got any prison time. Shakespeare qoutes give you creative license to do as you will.

Should become Nigel Farange's protoge

military user here

Understandable but not acceptable.

Really bad for army's reputation; when operational success largely depends on public opinion it's very important that we're seen to be law-abiding. Unprofessional and damaged his unit's reputation too. True he was in an extremely stressful situation, but as a marines sergeant he's meant to be someone who can stay professional in any situation. And as a senior soldier, he should also have been setting the example to the juniors, which he failed to do.

interestingly, I've found way more support for him from people outside the army than inside

Any info on exact quote?

Former military here as well.
As much as I understand your point it's obvious that the ROI is incredibly over restrictive.
As other anons have said Blackburn probably saved the guy a couple of minutes of suffering.

"shuffle off this mortal coil, you cunt"

pretty badass tbf

telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/defence/10432095/Recording-of-Royal-Marines-accused-of-murdering-Taliban-prisoner-released.html

shuffle off this mortal coil, you cunt

How could you change the ROE without the risk of loads of killing of wounded enemy because soldiers assess them as dying and beyond saving? It wouldn't have been difficult for them to attempt first-aid as they were meant to.

Also, do you agree that even if the ROE were flawed, they still need to be fully enforced in order to maintain the principle that we are a law-abiding armed forces who holds ourself accountable?

why do british people use the word 'cunt' so often

>be a german in ww2
>capture a wounded brit after a battle
>quote Goethe
>shoot the limy bastard

Based aryan who did nothing wrong

Why is it our job to care so much about caring for wounded sand people that spend their lives dreaming up ways to blow up girls schools?
Fuck them.
Also yes they need to be enforced if those are the rules, they just need to be changed.

Because unlike with 'muricans it isn't the most offensive word in existence.

right, how would change the rules then?

And don't you think it's more useful to treat and capture someone (then they can be exploited and questioned for intelligence etc) than just slot them? As well as massively the effect on public opinion, which hugely determines how wars go these days (e.g why we pulled out of iraq and afghanistan way too early)

Man the L85 is a sexy rifle

I don't think we owe them anything, but in the long run I think these kinds of rules contribute to strategic success.

kek. this.

good job pops.

Did his job. Fuck the Geneva convention when it comes to on battlefield. The only thing that the Geneva convention is good for is preventing unnecessary torture. and even that needs situational exceptions.

He fucked up big time.

You can't pull that shit in the military.

He was legally obliged to provide first aid and get that raghead medical attention.

Back in the Gulf war there was a big thing about an innocent goat herder being killed by British forces.

Well let me tell you . . .. . you would be a hundred miles from anyway and in the middle of the night, you would hear bells from goats, as a goat herder walked past.

40 minutes later you would be under Mortar attack - coincidence? . . .I think not!

Taking out the 'poor innocent farmer' prevented these attacks.

You have to understand the reality kids.

That was different; there was an operational point to doing that so it could probably be justified under the law of armed conflict, The point about blackman's case is that there was no operational justification at all for killing the injured talib.

It depends what rules of engagement you're under, but there are defintiely some under which you could kill someone unarmed who you have good grounds is operating as a spotter for indirect fire.

There are times when ROE have to be ignored. What is frustrating is the fact that, somebody squeals, this annoys me more than anything.

Isn't that the same case as uboats sinking allied merchant ships with no consequences as they would count as navy auxiliaries if they were to report about having spotted an uboat?

Ok, how is that punishable?

It has a lot more educational value than being beheaded by some sandnigger who just scream allahu ackbar over and over again.

I mad.

Also, the sound recording was fun.
>don't shoot him in the head mate, that would be fucking obvious

The only thing i envy the british for is their skill in the gallantly dispatching of all kinds of darkies.

Fucking ridiculous! USA bombs SAA and kills close to a hundred people, allowing ISIS to advance.

>persecute some random foot soldier for literally nothing

Hypocrites as always.

Its called international humanitarian law mustafa. Look it up

Yeah, how about you apply it on each and every case.

>international humanitarian law MY ASS youtube.com/watch?v=omnskeu-puE

Seriously fuck you!

why not, it's just a word

this.

he should have been able to keep emotional control.

Go to war get shot at, kill the bastard, go to jail.

Aside from protecting Karzai's brothers poppy fields to get Russians addicted to heroin why are we there again?

He got recorded doing it the stupid cunt.

Excellent.

I don't think he did anything wrong. He broke the Geneva Convention, boo fucking hooo.... it's Goddamn war you wankers

>non-uniformed combatants of no nation in particular
>Geneva conventions
fuck this rubbish

>operational success largely depends on public opinion
whose opinion?

>giving first aid to terrorists

Both the opinion of the local nationals (afghans in this case - whether they support ISAF and the afghan government or the taliban) and British public opinion, which determines the political will to maintain and resource the deployment. British public opinion failed in the end and we withdrew prematurely.

An alive and caputured terrorist is more useful than a dead terrorist. It's not about revenge; it's about winning.

I really get triggered when naughty business is afoot and whenever a recording device is present they disable it after the 'sensitive' information has been captured.

What the fuck is turning it off for now you dumb cunt, you only serve to incriminate yourselves further. Also next time the lads are talking about popping someone in the head, give a really violent cough whist pointing out of shot to your fucking helmet cam.

I don't know anything about the story, but since when does shooting someone require losing emotional control? Especially a goatfucker?

>two goat farmers shot at you with rusty rifles
>call an apache

Why English are so pathetic at warfare?

He knew he shouldn't have done it but wanted to kill him for the revenge and satisfaction of it.

Geneva doesn't protect non-state combatants as far as I know, he should of never been jailed to be begin with

More dead Muslims the better.

If it were me I would have put some rounds into the fucker before I even got close enough to see whether he was still alive, the Tali had a grenade didn't he, he wasn't creeping around picking flowers.

Marines fucked up badly. Surprised all three didn't get some time to be honest.

he kills brown people so he's alright in my book.
literally never heard of that happening. source?

Judge didn't want to do them, evidence was completely undisputable, put out the minimum possible punishment.

Who buddy fucked him and reported that out. The after action should have said "2 enemy KIA"

pretty much. May I point out the inherent political trouble of trying to enforce a blockade with U-boats?