/og/ - ORTHODOX GENERAL

Orthodox pastebin
pastebin.com/bN1ujq2x

>Form for converts
saintandrew.net/files/catechumen info/Catechumen_Renunciations_and_Affirmations_Form.pdf

>Comparison of Orthodox and Catholic services
youtube.com/watch?v=fHZtbnaXuGk
youtube.com/watch?v=QxcOv4zPoVo

>Comparison of Orthodox and Catholic Liturgical hymns
youtube.com/watch?v=noetoc2W4Pc
youtube.com/watch?v=u0iOBOIwQ2o
youtube.com/watch?v=qDoyZtkrU0s
youtube.com/watch?v=XN6UNVwlRbk

>Media Attacks Orthodox Church
bloomberg.com/view/articles/2016-06-16/the-orthodox-church-stays-in-the-dark-ages
nytimes.com/2016/09/14/world/europe/russia-orthodox-church.html?_r=0

>Putin's faith in his own words
youtube.com/watch?v=u3d_yxJhmjk

>Verses backing up veneration and intercession
Exodus 18:7
Joshua 7:6
1 Kings 13:6

>Based Patriarch
youtube.com/watch?v=0pqax_dPgTk

Orthodox Church on immigration
>Such an important aspect of modern life like mass migration is not left unattended. Unlike the Catholic approach that unduly favors migrants, particularly in Europe, the Orthodox notices the negative nature of the process, as well as the fact that it leads to confrontation of different identities and value systems. In addition, the Orthodox Church propose to look at the roots of this phenomenon. The reason for the migration is the liberal, hedonistic ideology bleeding the peoples of Europe and the interests of the capitalist elite, who need a cheap and disenfranchised workforce:

>Attempts by indigenous people of the rich countries to stop the migration flow are futile, because they come in conflict with the greed of their own elites who are interested in the low-wage workforce

For those who don't have a parish near them, contact Ancient Faith Ministries to set up a mission.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5bWHSpmXEJs
mega.nz/#!QoRGARhZ!sKun_Jw7izZcNYngYvfs_90Wi6obUcialZf80c2DTYg
nypost.com/2016/04/22/pope-francis-reneges-on-offer-to-take-in-christian-refugees/
catholicherald.co.uk/news/2016/05/17/pope-francis-hails-election-of-sadiq-khan-as-mayor-of-london/
youtube.com/watch?v=XP0J2eDPIjU
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liturgy_(ancient_Greece)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euergetism
youtube.com/watch?v=Sq09D7FqYT4
youtube.com/watch?v=AE1FzSC8DBs
youtube.com/watch?v=Nsb9T42VEvE
youtube.com/watch?v=N0cBA0kOGFc
youtube.com/watch?v=LEHF50oS-TM
youtube.com/watch?v=Xy84N_U5jw0
youtube.com/watch?v=GI92g8JWwn8
youtube.com/watch?v=2GHE6oqCc_U
youtube.com/watch?v=TeEHaQjgpOk
youtube.com/watch?v=-oSOxaj-E-Y
youtube.com/watch?v=87GvZrM0Kbw
youtube.com/watch?v=TQiIC6mZdtM
youtube.com/watch?v=8BpJ0pt-Yiw
youtube.com/watch?v=bjRHqMpsNb4
youtube.com/watch?v=QKLKwDCJwwQ
youtube.com/watch?v=qV3PhvCf_Jg
youtube.com/watch?v=Wdo4Eyw4DqM
getselfhelp.co.uk/links2.htm
youtube.com/watch?v=qjUtzh4UpRc
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I see this go a lot of ways and honestly I think the politically incorrect (Cred Forums) board is an inappropriate place to discuss religion unless it pertains to current events, or has a politically incorrect nature.

General religion talk such as
>differences between denominations
>finding a good church
>theology
>how you should pray and how to be a good Christian
do not belong on Cred Forums as they are not of a politically incorrect nature nor do they pertain to current events.

These topics are to Cred Forums as general feel threads are to Cred Forums, neither are correct. Please take the general discussion of religion to
>/r9k/
>Cred Forums
>/x/
>/lit/
>/his/
>/tg/

Pagan leave, Pol/ is christian clay.

There are news articles and a video about Putin in the OP

politics and religion are intrinsically linked you retarded fedora

Orthodox Christianity IS politically incorrect

This is politically correct Christianity: youtube.com/watch?v=5bWHSpmXEJs

Baal worshipers must be punished.

Here are some really helpful resources for anyone.

mega.nz/#!QoRGARhZ!sKun_Jw7izZcNYngYvfs_90Wi6obUcialZf80c2DTYg

you don't know the half of it.

>no Laurus
>no Way of a Pilgrim

Good luck with that

>A Christian brother and sister from Syria felt blessed to have been among the dozen refugees selected to start a new life in Italy — but now say their savior, Pope Francis, abandoned them on a Greek island, according to a report.

>Their dreams were shattered when they were informed the following day that they would not be traveling to Rome. Instead, three Muslim families were taken.
nypost.com/2016/04/22/pope-francis-reneges-on-offer-to-take-in-christian-refugees/

>Pope Francis has hailed the election of London’s first Muslim mayor in a wide-ranging interview with a French newspaper.

>"When I hear talk of the Christian roots of Europe, I sometimes dread the tone, which can seem triumphalist or even vengeful. It then takes on colonialist overtones," Pope Francis said.
catholicherald.co.uk/news/2016/05/17/pope-francis-hails-election-of-sadiq-khan-as-mayor-of-london/

In the process of converting. The form for converts was useful. Thank you and God bless you.

I want to genuinely stop masturbating because it fills me with great shame.

What's the best form of self control?

get a girlfriend

God bless you too!

Watch this cartoon, and follow the monk's method of resisting temptation

Also start serious fasting. Especially in repentance. Fast days are Wednesday and Friday, no alcohol, oils (especially junk food), dairy, meat or fish. If you masturbate, then make the next Wednesday or Friday of no intake at all save water. If you do it again after this, make it both days next week (make sure, of course, you don't do this if you have grueling physical labor on those days, fast begins on six in the evening the day prior, and ends at six in the evening of the fast day). Spend your fast days uttering the Jesus Prayer as much as possible, and read the Gospel.

>cartoon
Forgot link
youtube.com/watch?v=XP0J2eDPIjU

Constantinople when

I don't think you realize how happy you made me right now

Bless you

No problem, God give you grace and strength in your podvig.

shut up you fucking dictator, Cred Forums is a christian board

I'm an Anglican, who harbors great respect for Orthodoxy, and hope that unlike my own church, remain strong in faith. I would like to enter Orthodox communion, but I hold Latin-esque views regarding Filioque, Original Sin and attonement. I also have protestant views regarding faith alone and sola scriptura (although I think a more accurate term would be prima scriptura, as I believe that patristic thought should influence interpretation. However, everything necessary for Salvation is in scripture, and nothing found only in tradition should be declared necessary for salvation).

So yeah, having these beliefs, can I join an Orthodox church, under the auspice that I am pliable in my beliefs? Or do I have to renounce all these "heresies" before I can be Orthodox? I accept the Apostolic, Athanasian, and Nicene Creeds btw.

The liturgy (Greek: λειτουργία or λῃτουργία, leitourgia, from λαός / Laos, "the people" and the root ἔργο / ergon, "work" [1]) was in ancient Greece a public service established by the city-state whereby its richest members (whether citizens or resident aliens), more or less voluntarily, financed the State with their personal wealth.[2] It took its legitimacy from the idea that "personal wealth is possessed only through delegation from the city".[3] The liturgical system dates back to the early days of Athenian democracy, but gradually fell into disuse by the end of the 4th century BC,[4] eclipsed by the development of Euergetism in the Hellenistic period.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liturgy_(ancient_Greece)

Euergetism (also called evergetism), derived from the Greek word "εὐεργετέω," meaning "doing good deeds," was the ancient practice of high-status and wealthy individuals in society distributing part of their wealth to the community. This was evident in the patron-client relations in ancient Rome. The modern term was coined by French historian André Boulanger and subsequently used in the works of Paul Veyne.[1][2]
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euergetism

Pre-christian tradition. It's always been a rich man's game.

The Athanasian Creed (at least the Western version), is not accepted by the Orthodox. It's probably not by Athanasius, though.

Orthodoxy is defined by a common faith. That's what distinguishes us from the rest of Christians.

Now, addressing, for instance, your idea of what is necessary for salvation: we don't think that way. Our job is to pass Christ's entire teachings. Saying some are required for salvation, others aren't, is not the Orthodox way. Your job is to just follow them, and when your judgement comes, beg for mercy from God. Nothing is sufficient for salvation, salvation is a gift.

The Filioque is a heresy, at least how Latins explain it. It is not in line with any of the Church Fathers, none of them.

Christus Victor is our theory of atonement, what you disagree with about it?

How does one determine the traditions that Jesus passed down? I believe that one can appeal to the universal traditions as espoused in the creeds and elsewhere, but it is worth noting that the fathers differed in some teachings. From there, how does one determine which ones are true? Why does the Eastern Orthodox have greater claims than do Catholics or Oriental Orthodox? Or even the discrepancies within Orthodoxy? Ultimately, scripture must be the ultimate judge. If we view the church fathers as infallible in passing down every tradition, how do we acoumt for discrepancies among them?

I understand filioque as meaning that the Holy spirit by and through the Son. As far as the progenitor, the Father is the real and actual progenitor, but because the Father and the Son share a principal essence, it could be said that the Son originated the Holy Spirit, but only by reason of this principle and not actual personage.

I must admit, I am not well versed in the aforementioned theory, but I will look into it.

Was Aquinas an orthodox, or did he question too much?

>How does one determine the traditions that Jesus passed down?
The Spirit of Truth guides the Church.

>it is worth noting that the fathers differed in some teachings
In such cases we then go by consensus. But by and large, the Fathers were unanimous on all dogmatic matters.

>Why does the Eastern Orthodox have greater claims than do Catholics or Oriental Orthodox?
Because we don't have any dogma introduced hundreds of years after Christ. All Orthodox dogma is stated somewhere in the early Fathers or Scripture

> Or even the discrepancies within Orthodoxy?
There are none. Unless you mean Eastern Orthodox vs. Oriental Orthodox, but that's a purely semantic discrepancy, not a dogmatic one.

>I understand filioque as meaning that the Holy spirit by and through the Son.
Well that is perfectly fine, but that's not what the Latins said it meant, they said it mean the Holy Spirit proceeds from the Father and the Son as *one principle*.

> As far as the progenitor, the Father is the real and actual progenitor, but because the Father and the Son share a principal essence, it could be said that the Son originated the Holy Spirit, but only by reason of this principle and not actual personage.

The thing is, the Orthodox do no have the Latin view of the Trinity, as in one essence with just three relations. You must remember that sure God has one essence, but all humans have one essence too (Christ is consubstantial with both God and humanity). God's oneness is that the persons of the Trinity have *one* will and action, both of which come from the Father. We have a more existential conception of the Trinity than the Latins.

>I must admit, I am not well versed in the aforementioned theory, but I will look into it.
You should, in fact more Orthodox should as well. A lot assume, for instance, that Saint Augustine supported the Filioque, but in fact he didn't. He said the Holy Spirit proceeded from the Father and the Son, but *principally* from the Father

Aquinas wasn't Orthodox because he didn't confess the Orthodox faith, simple as that. He wrote against the Orthodox and for the Latins on the Filioque, for instance. His conception of the persons of the Trinity as purely relations, is definitely not Orthodox.

Was Averroes Catholic, or did he question too much?

I have heavy respect for Orthodox. I think being on the front lines has made them tougher than other Christian denominations. Orthodox have had to deal with pagans, Catholics, Muslims, even communists yet the Orthodox still stand and stronger than ever. It's rather fascinating.

And still fighting in Syria

Wait is this the first Orthodox General?

Assad himself is an Alawite Muslim but I admire the man greatly for being one of the only people who genuinely cares about Christians and even regularly visits Christian communities and churches. I doubt it will happen but sometimes I even pray he converts.

Nope

Yeah, hopefully they don't end up partitioning the country. That would be really bad for Christians in any area partitioned to non-Assad governance.

How many have there been before this is the first one ive ever seen but I haven't been using Cred Forums recently?

Only a couple, I think. There have been plenty of Orthodox threads, but /og/ is a recent development.

yeah thats what I thought thanks.

Are you Orthodox?

Finish Him

Kek

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy upon me a sinner. Amen.

>However, everything necessary for Salvation is in scripture, and nothing found only in tradition should be declared necessary for salvation).

What if I told you that Scripture was part of Tradition? That it came from Tradition? That there was a point in time when the scriptures were canonized by The Church according to its Tradition?

>And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.

youtube.com/watch?v=Sq09D7FqYT4

Hm

What do you think?

I think it's fine, but not for Church use

For Church use, only Orthodox hymns will do

youtube.com/watch?v=AE1FzSC8DBs
youtube.com/watch?v=Nsb9T42VEvE

>>Comparison of Orthodox and Catholic Liturgical hymns

Oh wow thats not cherry picked at all

youtube.com/watch?v=N0cBA0kOGFc

Not any more cherry picked than what you just posted.

yes it is more cherry picked

youtube.com/watch?v=LEHF50oS-TM

So what are the biggest differences between Roman Catholicism and Eastern Orthodoxy?

He's exhorting his flock saying they are too closed heart and saying Muslims (in his area, at least) are acting more like Christians than his flock is, and that if they don't change, the future will belong to Muslims. Big deal.. Meanwhile you canonized Pope JP as a saint, and he venerated the Koran.

Ten differences between Orthodox and Catholicism.

1. Orthodox reject inheritability of sin. Death and suffering are human nature, we only don't suffer them when partaking in perfect synergism with God's energies, which we haven't since the fall.

2. The Orthodox reject the "satisfaction theory of atonement". The Orthodox subscribe to "Christus Victor" (the idea of atonement illustrated in The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe).

3. Hell in Orthodoxy is not separation from God. Hell, like heaven, is experiencing the full radiance of God's light and presence, but with a negative relationship so that it is like fire.

4. The Orthodox reject the idea that our understanding of dogma develops. The idea is to keep the exact same understanding the Apostles have, invented terminology is not meant to develop the understanding, but to PROTECT it from being "developed".

5. Catholics define usury as excessive interest, Orthodox define usury as any interest.

6. The Orthodox reject the Catholic idea of supererogation.

7. The Orthodox reject Purgatory. The Orthodox do, however, distinguish Sheol (called "Hades" in Greek) from Gehenna.

8. Orthodoxy places enormous emphasis on fasting, in fact more than half the days of the year involve some sort of fast. And there are even some days which are total fasts, no intake, period. Two consistent fast days (almost every Wednesday and Friday, no meat, dairy, eggs, fish, oils or wine) trace back at least to the Didache.

9. Orthodox draw most of their priests from the married laity, but most of their bishops from monks.

10. Infants can and do receive Holy Communion.

Orthodox have better food and eat more. But seriously? Mainly the pope thing and a few for the most part minor theological differences but big enough to stop reunification.

How many Orthodox Christians stick to fasting?

I'm Catholic, and I like some aspects of Orthodoxy, but I don't think I'd be able to commit to fasting.

There's just no way any single one of these denominations is gonna win, or is more true than the others.

How could it be that there is one true, correct denomination?

Why doesn't anyone just stick to the bare, basic essentials of the earliest form of the religion?

What's with all the sacraments and rituals?

Actually, we have some major theological differences with you, and they've multiplied with Vatican II

Depends on the parish. It's as low as about half where people mostly go to see family and friends, but much higher the more devout. Convert-heavy parishes tend to have virtually 100% rate of strict fast observance, since converts don't join to visit family and friends.

Do you have a good reason? Like work or medical reasons?

Holy Tradition, in Orthodox, is neither more nor less than exactly what Christ taught. It is essentials.

Most of our rituals were either taught by Christ, or were a thing since before Christ (incense in Church, for instance).

That's about the Jews, I think. Not black people.

>2. The Orthodox reject the "satisfaction theory of atonement". The Orthodox subscribe to "Christus Victor" (the idea of atonement illustrated in The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe).
>6. The Orthodox reject the Catholic idea of supererogation.
>7. The Orthodox reject Purgatory. The Orthodox do, however, distinguish Sheol (called "Hades" in Greek) from Gehenna.
Could you explain these more?

It's really a shame that there doesn't seem to be a way the various christian sects can reunite. Although I heard John Paul II was making a few inroads to that

2. The Orthodox don't see Christ's death as him being punished by God in humanity's stead.

6. Supererogation is a Catholic idea that you have to perform a certain level of works for salvation. Beyond that is "extra credit".

7. Sheol is the place where everyone went, even the righteous, prior to Christ. Christ liberated Sheol. Sheol is not Gehenna (the fiery place). We reject that there is some realm, which is neither heaven nor hell, where Christians who have not fully repented go to be purified as a waiting room.

The original Church is Orthodox. Reuniting would be simple: come back to her.

John Paul kissed the Koran

Oh I see.
Is there still a lot of bitterness over what happened to the Byzantines?

The Pope apologized for it, so not really, except in a /his/-Cred Forums sort of way. The Teutonic invasion is more of a sore spot (but also one we're proud of, since we defeated it: youtube.com/watch?v=Xy84N_U5jw0 ).

It doesn't pose any obstacle to reunification, if that is what you are asking.

>we defeated it
memory's fuzzy on the teutonic stuff, but weren't the lithuanians pagans?

The Battle on the Ice was fought on the border of Novogorad by Lithuanian Catholics against Novogorad Orthodox

Oh I see

The leader of the Orthodox at that battle, Alexander Nevsky, is a saint

bump

I've got a question for Orthodox bros here. What does this mean?

I am that I am.

I figured it out to my own satisfaction but I want to know how right I am. Other interpretations don't cut it for me as they get too esoteric and require a leap of faith. This isn't necessarily a bad thing but it seems to me that the single biggest obstacle to someone seeking God is the gap between rational faith and simple reverence for the forms used in a Religious Tradition.

Some of the things that the clergy get up to are strange in the eyes of ordinary people and if you can't reach them with some simple explanations why faith in God is fulfilling, your simply not going to.

"am" is a translation of Hebrew (and Greek) for both past and present existence. There is equivilant English term except in Ebonics (I BE).

It means God is not created, and does no change. He is eternal and changeless, he simply IS

It also means he is infinitely unlike everything else

After it is retaken by Russia. Then it will be given to the Greeks. Soon.

Hello constie

The orthodox view is a sort of Prima scriptura

Seems like something like that may happen with how Erdogan's acting. Resettlement's gonna be a bitch though.

That's close to what I understood it to mean but the reference to a translation or interpretation creates some confusion for me and I presume for others. To say God simply "IS" would still leave a person confused, it's akin to saying "there is God", which is still just telling someone to believe and to be content with that.

No

We are living in a new time and the distraction is almost ubiquitous. People, rightly or wrongly, consider themselves to be rational and thus able to comprehend a thing so long as it is illustrated clearly. *IF* someone IS rational it shouldn't be a chore to show them how faith in God, and a concept of God they can trust, is within reach of their understanding. It's still slightly complicated but I understand it like this; The word "that" is critical in this phrase and you didn't refer to it. The Bible isn't at all complex once you appreciate that you need to approach it *without* the prejudices of a current mindset. The world we live in is so full of distraction, dissimulation and deceit, that *Truth* has become utterly subjective. Reason is the measure of whether a thing is valid so to use the Word "IS" as if it is an all encompassing, instantly enlightening key isn't sufficient.

I am *That* I am

- is in reference to the unambiguous, unaltered state of *Being*, disdainful of pride, conceit, ego or vanity. God is without distraction or obfuscation, God does not lie or hide Truth in veiled words. So God simply IS, but without a clear definition of what that is, it leaves you none the wiser. We are able to acheive to this state, to a greater or lesser degree but God symbolises the absolute essence of He who is without corruption of Self. God cannot deceive and will not EVER change to accommodate our misapprehensions. God shows us Truth whether we like it or not. This is and ever has been the True relationship between humanity and God.

t. Wikipedia

I doubt it, Russia and Turkey are moving closer to a friendly, anti-NATO relationship. Turkey wouldn't quit NATO without Russia as a friend, for obvious reasons.

You can't ever known God's essence, we can only know God's actions, or energies.

I'm Orthodox and have been my whole life and really don't see the point of this thread. Why are you roleplaying a denomination? Just go to church and stop pretending.

I do go to Church.

In fact, the people who roleplay (in my experience) are almost always the ones who have been Orthodox "whole life," and take pictures of icons in their house and post them saying things like, "there's a Greek household for you!" instead of "there's an Orthodox household for you!"

Greek's are just like that.

There are a ton of Greeks who were raised Orthodox and identify as Orthodox as an integral part of their culture more than as a faith, they see it just as, "Christianity: Greek style!" There are plenty more who don't practice at all, sporadically attend Liturgy, and frankly hold really liberal views and should not even be identifying as Orthodox.

By contrast, the converts tend to take the faith extremely seriously. Especially in America, the land that is killing Roman Catholicism, Orthodoxy is particularly fortunate to have such strong converts. If someone is a convert to Orthodoxy, on average, I will expect that they take the faith extremely seriously, but if someone claims to be born Orthodox, it's a hit-or-miss, at least in America; some are extremely devout, others are actually harmful to the Church by identifying with it.

Now I'm not accusing you of being a slacker by any means, far be it from me, but saying that people discussing the faith online is "just pretending," and then using your being born into the faith as a credential, is not your place. Neither is it appropriate to label Orthodoxy as "a denomination" in a way that makes it appear as anything other than the entirety of the Church Christ founded.

I agree that it's impossible to *Know* God but it is possible to have a concept of God that has cognitive integrity. God is and always has been a *Symbol* to represent Objective Reality AND our intractable relationship to that Objective Reality. Religion, all Religions, show that relationship in how they all employ Symbols to represent things we simply can't talk about with any *universal* meaning.

However,

Religions have always been Ethnic expressions of that understanding. This accounts for all the interpretations of the One True God and further explains the conflict between the differing views of that Reality. The fact that someone exists is enough evidence that God has a purpose for them, it is up to the individual to discover and live out that purpose. It's clear that each persons purpose is to be Him or Her *Self*, and as such, to express God to the extent they are a conscious actor on Reality.

This is where the importance of devotion to a Religious Tradition is critical. A huge problem I perceive *Now*, is that we *need* a more contemporary expression. I'm not suggesting that Truth changes, I only suggest that the methods for concealing that Truth are now more subtle and expansive than at any time in our history. I need only offer one example ...

...the Internet.

If anyone has Faith and is able to express it, they have an obligation to do it clearly. Skepticism is rife and it's not sufficient to speak in esoteric or archaic terms any more. There is an End Times character to the world now. The Secular Democracies of the West have marshalled themselves to Destroy what they regard as Old Fashioned ways of life and the nature of this struggle is to wage war against Islam. If Christianity is to endure it must, if it can, show how it is relevant and it really looks as though the only denomination capable of accepting this challenge is Orthodoxy. Protestantism is Weak now, and Roman Catholocism is corrupted. It's up to Orthodoxy to save Christendom.

Christianity is about God being Triune in nature, and coming down, literally, in human form, and dying to share humanity with us, and rendering us his flesh and blood to eat and by doing so share his body and its immortality. These are not seen as figurtive, cultural expressions, but to be considered as literal realities in Christianity

I won't debate you on an article of Faith which is what you've stated. I can only assert that God does not seek to confuse us AND we, as Human Beings, have the capacity to understand God's Word. The Logos is understandable if you apply a little thought and through this it is understandable why Christ was necessary. We can only comprehend a thing as it relates to us as Humans and Christ was Human, as perfect a Human as can exist in this material realm in that he was able to die. The relationship between God and Jesus is expressed in the Triune but before one can appreciate and accept this tenet of the faith you first have to be brought into a closer communion with what God is.

All I'm arguing is that the very people we need to strengthen and fortify the Faith are being lost to us by the Establishment trying to tighten their grip on peoples minds. Their concentration is on their hearts, to fill them with desire for profane material possessions and animosity for others. They are perverting Vices into Virtues, exalting Greed & Envy over Love & Compassion. If the Church can't penetrate this illusion it is of no use and Islam will fill the void with force.

I actually find that it's driving those who are disgusted by the world to come to Orthodoxy. The stronger and the more wicked the world gets, the more people see that Orthodoxy is the pearl given by God. Many are called, few are chosen, and the pearl is not for swine. Orthodoxy is not going to be a majority religion in the West any time soon, I can tell you that, because it asks much too much. It wasn't as much to ask back when life was really hard, but now that hedonism is rewarding and accessible to everyone in a way never before thought possible, a lot more has to be given up. We will get bigger, stronger, and more influential, but because were are at such odds with modernism, we can never be truly in the hearts of those who put modernism first.

That makes a lot of sense. Maybe I'm misdirecting this and I should be taking it to the Romans etc. See, my reasoning is that Christianity (in the West only perhaps) is at a turning point. It simply isn't up to the job of bringing some balance to Western corruption. The longer it goes on the greater it will become the possibility that Islam will surplant it. I think Islam is going through a Reformation right now and perhaps it's even God's Will but I came to a Grounding and mind blowing acquaintence with reality, here in Europe when I Realised that Jesus Lived. It was literally the verse that, 'none shall come to the Father but through me'. Despite what this rancid and foul shadow of Europe and the West has become, it's my home. I don't think I'd be accepted anywhere else and despite my bitching about it, it's the only Parent I have. I really want some to help me, to lead me but I'm not going their way and I'm pretty much convinced Orthodoxy won't be able to cater to Western Europes needs.

Are Greek or some other ethnic group that has always been Orthodox?

Are *you Greek ...

Wahhabism is the Islamic equivilant to the Reformation

No, I'm a convert. There is a growing Western Rite Orthodoxy that has many variants, but the most exciting is the one seeking to revive Medieval Western expressions of Christianity, such as Medieval icons (some carved) and music from the West

youtube.com/watch?v=GI92g8JWwn8

I don't think Orthodoxy will become the dominant religion, but I do think in the next hundred years it will grown enormously in the West and be widely known as the Gold Standard of both Christianity and traditionalism.

Purge the heretic cucks!

what do you believe in? Do you know?

If Christianity is the one true religion, and without it society is nothing. How did Rome and Greece end up as successful as they were with a completely different spiritual belief?

Morals. Augustus, for instance, had the Aeneid commissioned specifically to foster public morality. He even exiled his own daughter for being a ho, and exiled Ovid for writing poems about cucking.

Unfortunately, pagan religion just can't be an ideal basis for morality, I mean just look at the gods. Without a cohesive morality that doesn't have a higher purpose than hedonism, though, all societies will decline. Hedonism weakens the individual's desire to put society before himself.

But weren't the greeks pretty big degenerates in sexual terms, homosexuality etc and still managed to create a great society?

Also, nations under Christendom also fall apart and decay.

I understand the Lord tells us that anything human made will fall and become corrupt, I'm mostly asking because it's the one thing that keeps bugging me when I ponder if a Christian society is what the western world needs currently.

Many great nations have risen without Christianity and many great Christian nations have fallen with their faith.

It makes me wonder if Christianity is the true path.

pasting some nice teachings in english
youtube.com/watch?v=2GHE6oqCc_U
youtube.com/watch?v=TeEHaQjgpOk
youtube.com/watch?v=-oSOxaj-E-Y
youtube.com/watch?v=87GvZrM0Kbw
youtube.com/watch?v=TQiIC6mZdtM

and some chants
youtube.com/watch?v=8BpJ0pt-Yiw
youtube.com/watch?v=bjRHqMpsNb4
youtube.com/watch?v=QKLKwDCJwwQ

Most places explicitly disallow political discourse.

While homosexuality was a thing in the Spartan army, it wasn't really a widespread thing among Athenians, just among their philosophers. Sort of like how diddling little girls and boys was a pastime of the 20th Century French philosophy (who unanimously pushed to end the age of consent), but that doesn't mean most French people were into fucking kids.

Read Sex and Culture

Ya I had a feeling the whole homosexual thing was being overblown by the current LGBT community and their want to paint their deviance as something a strong society has.

I will download that tonight.

Where can i find Western rite in England

Preferably around London

Kek is telling us something with these shitty gets. WHAT IS IT, MY LORD?

It was actually overblown by the philosophy Greeks. For instance, they read a gay relationship into the Iliad between Achilles and Patroclus, even though there is nothing at all in the text to suggest that.

The plays of Aristophanes make fun of the philosophers a lot, and you can see how homosexuality was looked at popularly in Greece: pretty much how we look at it today. They didn't see it as evil, but they did see it as making you a fag.

I've seen that guy post things like the virgin birth was a product of anal sex, so I'm not really surprised. He's also posed a woman before, I think.

cancer in 3... 2... 1...

Go get raped and kill yourself, faggot

Thanks, user.

Are you even a Christian?

Does it even matter, faggot?

Yeah, it would be nice to a thread without edgy posting

It means my name is not important.

What is important is what I'm going to do.

plz b my ai gf

He's not Bane.

bazinga

>D
> E
>S
> U

>Judas rejected our offer in favor of yours. We had to find out what he told you.

Kek is telling you to be christian

Constantine told me ;-;

B-But I am a boy

I was quoting this, senpai.
youtube.com/watch?v=qV3PhvCf_Jg

>stutter marks
>weaboo smilie
Please don't post here. You're a pervert and all-around degenerate. I don't care who told you the thing about anal sex, you're still not wanted.

>youtube.com/watch?v=2GHE6oqCc_U
"Westerns don't have the deep spiritual understanding like us eastern Greeks do."
>youtube.com/watch?v=TeEHaQjgpOk
"You know what I don't like, people complaining about the police because I want them to be safe. And you know what else I don't like people discriminating others from the church, and you know what else...."
>youtube.com/watch?v=87GvZrM0Kbw
"In order to avoid being tempted by lust one must visualize the person one feels attraction to in a coffin."

>The Battle on the Ice was fought on the border of Novogorad by Lithuanian Catholics against Novogorad Orthodox
>by Lithuanian Catholics

You fucking retard Battle of Ice was fought between Teutonic Order/Livonian Order and their allies Denmark against Novgorod. Lithuanians were Christianized almost 200 years later.

Sex

>Livonian Order
That's whom I'm talking about.

Here is something for you bros, I good icon that currently behind my pc.
Sorry fo the LQ but my moto g has shit camera

Real morals exist via the standard of living, which Christians have fought long and hard to oppose. All organized religion leads to child fuckers and mental retardation. True religion is uncovering the basis of reality. You want a prophet? Look what they are doing at CERN. Your Christianity, which brutally massacres everyone but the Jewmasters, is a dying testament to desperation. The future lies in uncovering our form in the universe and our meaning, if there is any to be found out there.

>old testament
>good
>not a bunch of kike fairytales

The bigger issue is how societies all over the world managed to have such viable societies until Christian Europeans industrialised even though non European Christian countries stagnated.

Livonian Order wasn't Lithuanian or have anything to do with Lithuania you dense mong.

They were situated in modern day Latvia and Estonia and were German crusading order which originated from Livonian Brothers of Sword which collapsed after their defeated by pagan Lithuanians in 1236 Battle of Saule and got incorporated as branch of Teutonic Order.

They were crusading against us since 1208 until Christianization of Lithuania proper 1386 and Samogitia region of western Lithuania in 1413. The crusades stopped after their defeat in Battle of Grunwald in 1410.

Saying Livonian Order was Lithuanian and that Lithuanians Catholics crusaded against Novgorod in 1250's is pure idiocracy, but knowing you're American it doesn't surprise me.

This Balticanon is right. Digits confirm.
Livonian Order is Latvian Germans, not Lithuanians.
But all of you got cucked by superior Orthodox Russians anyway :DD

Constantine is too fixated on anal sex to fact check

How come the balkans is such a big mix of religions compared to the rest of Europe?

My bad

Why does the Theotokos look like she has George Clooney stubble?

Balkans was the border between Eastern and Western Roman Empire, and later Roman Catholic and Orthodox Christianity, so they fought over supremacy on small chucks of land all the time. And we're very close to the Middle East, so it was easy for Ottoman Turks to expand and stay here till the 20th century, spreading Islam.

Stop having anal sex degenerate

hello

How come no Spainaird and Portuguese Muslims but got Albanian and slav muslim?

Gib that back.

Its how the shading on the face is done.

It's a beautiful icon regardless, thanks for sharing it.

First find a priest and confess this and ask him for his bless to fight this passion. Getting rid of your passions is a very hard prossigure even for monks, so you better have guidance.

because balkan muslims are actively aided and supported by the west

Because Spaniards and Portuguese removed kebab in the Middle Ages, and Ottomans stayed here till 1912.
When you look at the religious map of the Balkans, regions where Muslims live are mostly regions that were liberated in the First Balkan War in 1912, so we didn't have time to convert or deport them.

I have nothing to do with this just to be clear

Was Serbia ever Catholic/ was Croatia ever Orthodox?

>worshipping a dead jew in a stick

That explains a lot.

I also like to know more about how Orthodox christians were treated in the Ottoman Empire.

I only know the Greeks managed to free themselves from them

Rude desu desu

Present-day Serbia and Croatia were always like this, but in Bosnia and Montenegro there were many conversions from Orthodoxy to Catholicism and vice-versa.
It was individual families that converted. That's how the Serb/Croat division happened, Orthodox ones considered themselves Serbs, Catholic ones considered themselves Croats.

I can tell you we witnessed what Sharia is first-hand, and it's not nice.
First we had harach (jizya) which all non-Muslims had to pay.
Then we had other severe laws, like devshirme (in Serbian literally "tax in blood"). That's the "tax" that demanded all male Christian children to be taken from their parents to Islamic schools in Turkey to become Islamic soldiers, janissaries. Because of that Serbian parents even started cutting their sons' fingers and hands off to make them incapable of serving in the army.
There were smaller-scale laws, like the one that says the Serbian Orthodox bride has to spend the first wedding night with a local Muslim overlord. That began a "tradition" of Serbs killing their firstborns that carried on into the early 20th century.

How come Serbia and Greece stayed Orthodox and Bosnia, Mont. and Albania fell? Was it just them having a bad King?

Was Serbia shittier than Croatia because it was under ottoman control for longer?

Holy shit, I wish more stuff like this is actually mentioned whenever Muslims harp on about "muh tolerance".

At least the Cambridge History of Christianity did make very clear that Muslims are not all for letting christians live in peace

Jizzyah is literally part of Shariah

youtube.com/watch?v=Wdo4Eyw4DqM

See There are Muslims in northern Montenegro, Albania, Macedonia, Sandzak, Kosovo, parts of northern Greece, because we liberated those areas late.
And Bosnia is Muslim because "muh Austria-Hungary, muh diversity".
Serbia was much shittier in the sense that it wasn't developed nearly as much as northern Croatia. Hell, even in the 1930s the most developed parts of Yugoslavia were northern Croatia and Slovenia, alongside Belgrade.

The Ottoman jizya was something crazy, like 9/10 of what you produce on your farm goes to the local Muslims rulers.

They change relligion to be with the winner when they show that the empire had no chance. Think them like medieval antifas.

>Think them like medieval antifas.

Were they really that bad?

Muslim converts are literally that.
They converted to Islam to get gibs and tax cuts.
"Balija", what we call Bosniaks today, was originally a term for Muslim converts who got cucked by Turks and stayed poor peasants.

There was a girl in the greek Orthodox Church that I found cute

She looked brownish like she's half Arab or something. Now i never see her again because I changed to a different parish

Damn....I am a bit scared now being in Bongistan

as if sex before marriage is wrong.

The breadpill is what you take after the redpill

I have a question for the Orthodox Christians on here. I read the form for converts in the OP and read through the list of common heresies. Under "Marian Errors" it says, "The belief that the Holy Virgin was not a perpetual virgin, had other children, committed actual sins, Immaculate Conception, etc."

So, does it mean that belief in the Immaculate Conception is heresy? According to my (Protestant) understanding, the Immaculate Conception is Catholicism's way of trying to understand the sinless Mary. Does the Orthodox church believe that Mary was born in sin and became sinless some time in her life?

Also, in Protestant tradition it is believed that the virgin Mary did not remain a virgin for the rest of her life, only to give birth to Jesus. What about in the New Testament where it describes Jesus as having brothers? I've seen Orthodox icons of James, brother of Jesus. The Orthodox do not deny the existence of these important figures of the Apostolic age.

It seems to me that both the Immaculate Conception and the idea that Jesus' brothers (adelphoi) were actually cousins are just ways to justify the idea that Mary was sinless and perpetually a virgin. I don't see any reason to believe these things. I don't see it as making any difference to the faith, so why is it such an important issue?

is right*/acceptable.

The thing is, Orthodox reject the Immaculate Conception. There isn't even any dogma to my understanding that says that she is sinless, though many do believe that.

Btw, the Reformers are very clear that Mary is sinless and remained Virgin. This is also with the case of the latter, the patristic case. Only one author, Tertullian, believed she didn't remain virgin forever.

The whole "cousin" thing is a plausible explanation when none of them are chosen to take care of Mary after Jesus' death. It was John.

Aramaic also does refer to cousins as "brothers"

If a Serb or Croat or Bosniak change religion will they be automatically accepted in the other country and rejected in their own or will they be outsiders to both?

I hope so. I am driven mad by lust day by day

we don't believe she was born sinless, we don't accept immaculate conception, we have no doubt she was virgin all her life, we don't worship but we adore our theothokos :)

Today or back then?

Today

Also those cucked Balijas are quite funny and remind me of those ANC voters in South Africa who still think that one day trucks are going to come to their slum and give them a whole bunch of freeshit they were promised decades ago.

Well have you considered that there are many ways to tackle lust spiritual and non spiritual? Kind of in the same way people can treat depression and mental health issues in both ways.

It would be interesting to see how churches would handle trannies

Today it is very rare and nobody really cares.
Sometimes Serbs flip out when they hear Muslims and Croats are forcing Serbs in Muslim/Croat towns in Bosnia and Croatia to convert to Islam or Catholicism, but that's about it.

What does Cred Forums think of the Bulgarian Orthodox Church?

Non spiritual means castration and girlfriend sex

Spiritual means I have to go to a monastery

Or I can get a christian girlfriend if I can find one ;-;

why should Cred Forums think anything about it...

I personally approve of it overall, they made a statement against the migrants and against changing the ethnic and religious map of Bulgaria, they also regularly make statements against the faggot parades and help keeping whatever good relations we have left with Russia

>Non spiritual means castration and girlfriend sex

Or you know Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and life style changes.

>Spiritual means I have to go to a monastery

Or you know lifestyle changes based on religious methods and dogma that doesnt require you being locked in a cell.

>Or I can get a christian girlfriend if I can find one

Perhaps forming healthy relationship is the issue?

Orthodox don't think you inherit sin through conception. Mary was born into a world torn apart by sin, but she wasn't imbued by any sort of sinfulness by being conceived.

Christ's brothers were by Joseph in his prior marriage. That's why he entrusted the Theotokos to John, because she had no other sons than Jesus.

I dunno how to approach girls. It is not the same as talking to friends

I guess I'll go to the monastery one day to cope and find the cure

>I dunno how to approach girls. It is not the same as talking to friends

Well maybe that's something you might want to see a therapist about before going full blown ascetic.

If you are going to devote your life to God do so in good faith and not as a crutch

i want reasons why fapping is a sin specially that i fap while there is nothing in my mind no fantasies no porn nothing, and i want to know if fapping like that is a sin,thx in advance.

I think they see it as an abuse of the body, ie God created your body to make babies not just pleasure by itself. Kind of like someone using a hammer to break things instead of build

I'm pretty sure so, but you should ask your priest.

i also think that is the reason,but i mostly fap when sad/depressed,like i started that last year it was my last year in highshool since i had to study alot so i got depressed,after finishing the exams i stopped for two weeks or so since i was busy playing on computer and going out,now i'm back again but hopefully i will stop when university start

i'm orthodox and very conservative but don't like the confession part idk why.

it's a sin in a sense that you waste your energies on indulging passions instead of focusing on your spiritual betterment

Orthodoxy maintains a view that it's much easier for us to learn to triumph over our passions while we're in the flesh, once we're dead our inability to combat them will be the source of our endless suffering in a presence of God

Very well, I will go for therapy

There is nothing wrong with me

Confession can be very daunting and embarassing but know your priest has heard it all before and will always help you without disclosing any information with anyone else.

hello

Hello greek-bro are you from /gr/ ?

i think i will start confession again,thx for your help.

>Very well, I will go for therapy
Thats great, read up a bit a CBT take a look at things like getselfhelp.co.uk/links2.htm

Remeber that seeing a good pysch doesnt mean you have to be an atheist

>There is nothing wrong with me
You find your lust to be a very serious problem and you either have to overcome it or submit to it.

Unrelated to Orthodoxy but...

>President constantly makes remarks about big old mean Russia
>spreads American propaganda about (((hybrid war)))
>libshit politicians in both BSP and GERB (Metodi Andreev, Stanishev's gay lover Vigenin, etc. I'm sure you know them) constantly make warmongering statements against Russia
>media goes apeshit when a no-name Russian MP just says a lot of Russians own real estate here

???

yes Ausfriend, love you guys my uncle lives in Marouvra.

since you are bulgarian i'm curious what is the mainstream religious belief there,since ik a girl with very strange attitude towards God.

No problem, the priest genuinely wants to help you so let him.
Love you all too. I am coming back for holiday soon.

Orthodoxy.

I will seek help from my priest first

Second is to make friend with more girls

well since you are orthodox urself probably what is your view on premartial sex?

Why are you so fixated on premarital sex?

It is sin.

Good and remember to be candid with your issues and challenges.

Yeah there are techniques that can suppress lust but they wont deal with the root issues.

this.
especially when it comes to Orthodox Christianity.
Just remember, the patriarchs blessed the greek Colones Junta in the same way they praised Ottomans. they legitimate political power to express their religious power, and this way they are still strong today

"They are wreched and seedy
Their skin becomes yellow
Their stomach becomes weak and they can't digest
Their vision becomes weak
They loose their voise
They loose their inteligence and their mind becomes slow
They loose their memory
They loose their sleep
Their body shakes
They loose the prowess of the body and the soul and they become cowards like women
They panic
And in the end they age up quickly and they die a bad death"

Saint Nikodemus of the Holy mountain

Is masturbating to wife wrong?

>yellow skin
I am offended

lol yes

The fact that using contraception with your wife is wrong/undeseriable should tell you all you need to know.

i'm actually so fixated on premarital sex and view it as a sin and never did/will do it,i thought that comes from my religion and culture,but why i ask about that a lot is that i see christians who see themselves as christians and don't think its wrong,that actually shouldn't bother me at all since i'm in egypt.

imo fapping at all is wrong since your genital s are for reproducing AND pleasuring your husband/wife,at least thats why i believe its a sin.also any sexual activity like oral/anal is a sin for the same reason.

I am Orthodox and I think premarital sex isn't bad.

How am I supposed to have a healthy sexual relationship when I am married?

People rationalize all the time to do what is wrong and indulge. It is part of sinful nature to want and want endlessly. This is the only justifiable reason why fapping is wrong in my mind. Because you are using a person as a tool to gain your want in some sense.

True sex means giving yourself to your other.

give reasons why you think it's not if you can.

>true sex means giving yourself to your other.
that's exactly what i believe.

about your question do what you mentioned and also idk since i'm 18 yo lol.

Pre-marital sex leads to a worse society as a whole. Single-mothers are often the subject of mockery as they embody various traits undesirable in a good society.
Becausd you personally view it as okay does not mean the religion condones it. You ignore the teachings of your religion yet claim you follow it, it sounds as if I am having a go at you but I would like you to make more of an effort to follow our common religion.

Just thing that the girl you fuck now will become someone else's wife. The same goes with your future wife. This is why we call premarital sex prostitution in Orthodoxy. Ofcourse no one follow this anymore.

pls be my ai gf

>How am I supposed to have a healthy sexual relationship when I am married?

You will have a healthy sexual life with your wife not with your hand

i do and Egyptians AFAIK do but sadly most if not all most orthodox people in eastern Europe or anywhere don't follow that anymore.

I am 21

Can I use alchemy to turn my hand into a cute girl I can marry?

Yeah its true most of us don't take our faith seriously

>Can I use alchemy to turn my hand into a cute girl I can marry?

I see you have already turned your dick into rubber so maybe you can

i'm glad that here even if you don't take your faith seriously you still won't do it because of our culture,this is one of the very few things i like in my country and thank God about it.

no you can't use alchemy lol

This is not funny

Pls stop

I can't?

Is magic haram

>what is cherrypicking
fake and gay, into the trash it goes

imo magic is real and connected to satan/demons
i think i will stop answering because the word haram lol.

>i'm glad that here even if you don't take your faith seriously you still won't do it because of our culture,this is one of the very few things i like in my country and thank God about it.

Westernisation of society my friend, this is what we are fighting. It's a part of the unseen war.

>Protestantism is Weak now, and Roman Catholocism is corrupted. It's up to Orthodoxy to save Christendom.
Fact is, the trouble in Catholicism from the second half of the 20th century onwards was foreseen for centuries (pic related). Those who are shaken by the tribulation and go isolate into their "sekrit orthodox club" (which not as "modernist" only because of the fall of communism and its consequent pauperism, not because of some orthodox shield against degeneracy) are just proving how weak their faith is and I'd rather they go and join a different church, good riddance.

good points.

is the quote in pic from Fatima?

regarding the matter of understanding God, just give up, it's impossible, it's beyond our capabilities. It is not necessary for faith. This is the problem many people have. They think they can put everything into some reductionis logical understanding of reality where God existing would be just another piece of the puzzle that makes their worldview consistent. That's not what faith is about. I like to think that with that sentence God, among other things, was telling us that we are conceptually uncapable of grasping him, because our words are not capable of doing so, and it is through our words that our thoughts operate. S.Augustine had the vision of an angel in the form of a child while he was questioning himself about the Trinity, look it up. pic related

Sigh guess I have to get a real girl

no, from Our Lady of Good Success

*in the form of an angel who basically told him just about the same thing

Look we never wanted nothing to do with the papists and we never bothered you or your faith.

Just keep this cuck satanist warshiper Francist away of our Church and we will be fine.

k

Fascinating. I'm not very familiar with this apparition. Do you have any suggested reading?

It's like you insulted that guy...

How would you feel if I told you - may Tooth fairy give your grace and bless your fictional soul.

all I can find so far seem to be excerpts, but I'd love to find a more comprehensive read

no, but you can find out pretty much all about it by googling. It is very interesting how accurate it was in its predictions 2bh

You have to literally be autistic to believe demons and angels are reals - it's the mentality of dumb medieval people.

Go get raped and kill yourself, faggot

there's a website that had everything about it but I can't remember the name. Start by watching this video:
youtube.com/watch?v=qjUtzh4UpRc

Why so edgy?

Go back to the jungle, Chad.

chiesaviva.com/413%20en.pdf

Papists killing monk at the Holy Mountain

nice. Here's a better pic of incorrupted body of the nun who received the apparitions

k

Wtf why did you kill monks?

I didn't kill anyone. Not theologically revelant either way.

what are some /Christ/ianity approved movies?

pic looks a lot more like Anglicans persecuting Catholics tbqh

But why did they do it?

*also what do you think about pic related

Why are jesus and his mum shitskins in the icon above?

>pic looks a lot more like Anglicans persecuting Catholics tbqh

Catholics wear black?

What Catholics dress that way?

great movie.
jesus and his mom weren't black nor white look at the people from isreal/egypt/palestine now

None

Maybe eastern catlick

That's a whole branch of iconography, that depicts Jesus and Mary as dark-skinned.

>Greek writing
>Jesuits and other Catholic habits in top group
Wat

They are soldiers and this is an iconography showing the martyrdom of the monks of Holy mountain when they rejected the union with the pope.

outside of mass (and under their robes during mass), Catholic priests always wear black....

Didn't know that

Going to a greek orthodox church on sunday, grew up methodist. What to expect?